Invest in Ammo?

PDA

Shrinkmd
May 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
Seems like prices on everything are going up rapidly, including ammunition. Certainly the 7.62x39 has gone up, what 30% or more in less than a year. I know people say "buy it cheap and stack it deep", but it does seem more true than ever.

It may be time to work on the reloading setup, as our hobby looks like it is going to become less accessible over time. I guess those 10/22's will be seeing more range time in the future.

Have people who buy components seen the same jump in prices? Not being a reloader I don't have a great sense of what the usual "good" price is for primers, powder, etc.

I suppose there aren't any publicly traded companies which make ammunition or any ETF's for it, eh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Invest in Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manedwolf
May 2, 2006, 08:09 PM
Seems like some rifle calibers have gone up, likely due to import issues and supply issues. There's other countries buying AK ammo right now!

I haven't noticed a price change in, say, 9mm.

dmftoy1
May 2, 2006, 08:27 PM
Haven't seen any noticeable change in component prices . ..powder, primers and bullets seem pretty consistent.

Regards,
Dave

Ramius
May 2, 2006, 08:52 PM
I've not seen much of a jump locally, but common sense will tell you that sooner or later the higher fuel prices will be reflected in ammo, as well as everything else.

Remember that the lead has to be melted (Natural gas) mining equipment often involves diesel, and of course even electricity is produced in some areas by fossil fuels. And every step of the way, all of these products are transported, by tractor trailers that get around 9 mpg. And as we all know, ammo isn't light.

Still, it could be worse. I had to explain to a blissninny at work a while back why the milk for his two (unplanned) kids had gone up over night. His eyes got as big as saucers as I explained to him that farming involved fuel oil now, and that farms were generally in the country, where large, slow, tanker trucks had to go to pick up the milk.

IF you got it, a truck brought it.

Speaking of which, Brown Santa brought me a new gift today.. but that's another thread...

Ala Dan
May 2, 2006, 09:11 PM
Some ammo has jumped $2 per box; noticeably some rifle ammo, and
premium handgun ammo. I spent two days, two weeks ago changing
prices of ammo on the shelves~!:uhoh:

Joe7cri
May 2, 2006, 09:20 PM
Just by Wolf. It may take longer to clean your gun but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. For those of you who are worried about feeding issues, save the expensive brass stuff for SHTF times. I personally never had a problem!

Declaration Day
May 2, 2006, 09:27 PM
One specific instance of rising ammo prices is the Remington value pack of 525 .22LR cartridges. I used to buy them just a couple of years ago at Cabela's for $7.99. The last three times I went there, it was $8.99, $9.99, then $10.99.

Ammo does seem to be a good investment though. I find good deals and stack it deep. I even sold some once when I was short on cash and got more than I paid for it. There aren't many consumer products that you can sell for what you paid, but ammo is one of them.

oscar
May 2, 2006, 10:00 PM
It is my plan to retire in a year or so and my salary will be cut in half. However, I hope to spend a lot of time on the range and do a lot of shooting. Therefore, I have been stockpiling ammo and components. Everytime I am at Walmart I get a 550 pack of .22's. Each Saturday I go to the gunshop and spend $20 on powder, primers or lead.

When retirement comes along, I hope to be prepared for a lot of shooting and not a lot of expense.

marklbucla
May 2, 2006, 10:04 PM
The 9mm Blazer at Academy went from $3.86 - $4.86 a box a few months ago.

In **********, I stocked up when the talk about the .10/round fee was the big news. That would have made it worth the drive to AZ just to buy a couple bricks of .22LR!

MechAg94
May 2, 2006, 10:29 PM
That is why it is important to keep a little spare cash handy for any deals you might find.

BozemanMT
May 2, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ammo is up a lot, esp in the last 6 months.

I just bought about 4 cases of Black Hills 55 grain .223 and got a good deal, but he said his next shipment would go up as his prices were going up. (it was already up in sportsman warehouse yesterday)

Shot prices (for reloading shotgun shells) went from 17.99 in December to 20.99 a 25lb bag in january. :what:

Couldn't find any value packs of 22LR below $10 yesterday

last year I got 9mm WWB on sale for $90/1000, saw it last week for 6.xx a 50. :eek:

Buy it cheap, stack it deep, it doesn't go bad. In two/three years you are going to kick yourself for not buying more.

brandyspaw
May 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
I think its all relative.

Last year I could buy a case of 7.62x39 for $82.00 delivered and I just
ordered a case the other day for $128.00 delivered. However, put in
perspective, that really not that bad. Last year I could fill up my Superduty
diesel for $48.00 and today I filled it and it cost me $81.00!

When you consider the energy costs and the prices of raw materials like
copper, etc. I don't think its that bad. I don't like to pay it but its unrealistic to think that prices increases won't catch up with even the low budget
ammo.

I do agree that certain calibers haven't seen the price jumps that others have but I think its got to do with overall demand both here and abroad.

Concerning reloading components, they have been rather high for the last
few years in my opinion. But I don't really reload much anymore except for
precision rifles and magnum handguns. The other blasting ammo is still
cheap enough that I still don't think its worth spending the time to reload
for-such as 9mm for instance.

RioShooter
May 2, 2006, 11:25 PM
The cost of raw materials is skyrocketing. The cost of copper and lead has doubled since July. http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkquote&cb=1146625647&symbol=COM%5EHGN6
http://www.infomine.com/investment/charts/fChart_cPrice.asp?c=lead&u=lb&x=aon&r=1y:cuss:

marklbucla
May 2, 2006, 11:25 PM
Couldn't find any value packs of 22LR below $10 yesterday

You're not including walmart in this are you???

M2 Carbine
May 2, 2006, 11:34 PM
I always try to buy case lots of ammo on sale. I'm still shooting 7.62x39 Wolf that I paid $58/1,000 rounds and Barnaul JHP Makarov that I paid $70 a case.

A few days ago I stopped in Academy to check on 9mm WWB that I bought last year for $3.85 a box and now it's $10+ a box. Lucky I bought 3,000 rounds last year.:)

Reloading components have gone up in the last six months. Just the last gun show the 45 lead bullets I've been buying for $17-$18 a box went up to $21 a box.

I don't shoot it but I notice Wolf Makarov has gone up almost $2 a box.

I don't think the prices have even begun to climb.

asknight
May 3, 2006, 01:10 AM
Sure, as everyone has said, prices have gone up and will continue. The trick I'm working on right now is scouring dealer shelves for old stock that they've had for quite some time, thus not included in the latest fuel surcharge, metals increase, etc. I've not noticed a clear increase in components and powder yet, so I'm buying a little extra here and there too.

One of the deals I'm currently buying as my wallet allows is Federal Champion .22LR which is $7.99 per 500 at Gander Mtn. and $6.80 per 500 at Academy. I've also been buying up Black Hills 52gr Match .223 for $12.99 per 50 @ Gander Mtn ($259 or so per 1000). That's cheaper per round than the Remington UMC 45gr JHP bulk packs (250rds) which are about $67.99 @ Gander. Cheaper than most popular online sources also.

I like the UMC and Black Hills better than the Federal, as I at least have reloadable brass after the fact. The Federal 50gr JHP is $49.99 per 200 rounds (Black Hills still cheaper) @ WalMart, and again, the brass is not hard enough to get a reload out of. Loose primer pockets usually develop on the first firing.

P.S. My local Walmart has been sold out of 9mm and 45 WWB bulk packs for weeks now. I'm afraid they may not get any more in before prices increase again. :(

LAK
May 3, 2006, 06:29 AM
Price of copper and brass is going to continue to rise IMO; which will affect commercial ammo across the board. To what degree remains to be seen.

----------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Mikee Loxxer
May 3, 2006, 09:24 AM
Personally I am trying to solve this problem by reloading. I think the best idea is too shoot only boxer primed reloadable cases. I just keep my brass from the range and reload it. I then stockpile the steel cased berdan primed stuff for SHTF situations. Chances are if it ever came to a dire situation you wouldn't be saving cases anyway so you might as well be throwing away berdan primed steel cases.

WayneConrad
May 3, 2006, 10:44 AM
I found a good source of guaranteed once-fired 9mm brass for a penny a pop. I bought up 15,000 pieces. My original intent was to not bend over at the range any more, but if the price of brass goes up like y'all are saying, I'll be glad I've got a few buckets of it.

dakotasin
May 3, 2006, 10:50 AM
publically traded companies: olin, which makes winchester brand ammo, and whose product lines include the component parts, raw materials, and non-gun related chemicals. ticker: oln

component costs: virgin cases are more expensive, powder has seen about a $1 increase (~5% in the last couple of months), component bullets are up ~$1 per hundred (this varies widely), primers are the same, except cci's benchrest primers, which are up nearly 50%.

Creeping Incrementalism
May 3, 2006, 11:55 AM
A few weeks ago I checked ar15.com's ammo price thread, which compared ammo to the price of gold, and prices had decreased over the past year. So it's really the dollar that has fallen in value.

billybob
May 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
Not a bad idea. Fuel costs will soon hit shipping costs and that will make ammo expensive on a wholesale basis.

May 3, 2006, 12:04 PM
I bought Remington 9mm 115gr for $5.99/50 at Pro Bass last weekend. Their WWB 100's were $12.99

kfranz
May 3, 2006, 12:07 PM
Surplus 8mm is still a nickle a round...

Kenneth Lew
May 16, 2006, 05:43 PM
Academy 9mm 115 gr. Winchester White Box:

4.86 October 2005
5.86 April 26, 2006
6.93 Today

Thank god, I've been saving a half case every month since commodities prices startled me.:neener:

Nashmack
May 16, 2006, 06:12 PM
Copper in particular has skyrocketed in price recently. I read either this Sunday or last Sunday in the GlobeNorthwest section of the Boston Globe that it now takes 1.23 cents to make a penny.

hotpig
May 16, 2006, 06:54 PM
I got word today that Hornady ammo is going up 9% June 14. Winchester is going up 6 or 8% at the end of June. I did not ask about Remington or Federal since I do not carry a lot of their ammo.

Kenneth Lew
May 16, 2006, 07:03 PM
Looks like its time to stock up again.

zoom6zoom
May 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
Copper in particular has skyrocketed in price recently. I read either this Sunday or last Sunday in the GlobeNorthwest section of the Boston Globe that it now takes 1.23 cents to make a penny.

Perhaps, but the cost of a penny is likely due to other causes. There's precious little copper in pennies anymore, since 1982 they have been mostly zinc with just a bit of copper included.

If you enjoyed reading about "Invest in Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!