Trouble going to the range

PDA

showzr
May 2, 2006, 08:40 PM
If I have my sig in the trunk of my vehicle to transport to the range do I need to have a permit? I was stopped by local police in NH and given a hard time about not having a permit. Looking for input from other NH residence who have or have not had a problem with Manch-vegas police.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble going to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XLMiguel
May 2, 2006, 08:44 PM
It depends on the laws of your state (try packing.org), but generally, you're OK if it's unloaded, in a case, and in the trunk (not readily accessible to the driver). NH is pretty gun friendly, but how did the cops know you had a gun in the trunk?

showzr
May 2, 2006, 08:50 PM
I told him when he asked about any weapons in my car

cslinger
May 2, 2006, 08:51 PM
FOPA pretty much laid out the accepted rules of cased, locked, unloaded and out of reach of the driver. Even Maryland accepts this as acceptable transport, although in MD you are technically not allowed to stop anyplace but your destination (Range, back home etc.)

NavyLCDR
May 2, 2006, 08:55 PM
In Oklahoma it's illegal to carry it in the trunk because it is considered concealed. Here you can carry it unloaded, in the open (on the seat) or in a gun case if the gun case is in plain view. Unloaded means magazine out, no round in chamber, but the magazine itself may remain loaded. I would recommend a cheap, plastic foam lined case and just leave the case on the seat next to you.

gezzer
May 2, 2006, 09:10 PM
If you were in New Hampshire a formal complaint should be made to the Chief of Police and the city or towm board. NO license is needed at all! It could have been unloaded on the seat, in the glove box etc. We are an open carry state with no license needed to carry open unloaded in a vehicle.

DO NOT LET THIS GO.

Cops like this are not tolerated in NH.:cuss:

Next time tell him none of his bussiness. For the guys who are going to say it is required in thier state can it, it is not required in NH a free state.

Hawkmoon
May 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
FOPA pretty much laid out the accepted rules of cased, locked, unloaded and out of reach of the driver.
The FOPA is federal law and applies only to interstate travel. This was travel strictly within New Hampshire. FOPA DOES NOT APPLY.

However, NH state law does apply, and carry as described is, to the best of my knowledge, completely legal in NH.

From Packing.org:
TITLE 12 159:4:

4. No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefore as herein after provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges

Looks like Officer Friendly needs a refresher course in NH state law.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble going to the range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!