Can I be cured?

PDA

v35
May 3, 2006, 12:22 AM
First of all, I don't expect a serious answer to the title.

Now then... a few short months ago I was not a gun person. Couldn't even spell "gun" if you gave me the first and last letters. I was never against them or anything, I just didn't think much about firearms or RKBA, much in the same way I don't have a dog. Nothing against dogs, I'm just not a dog person.

Then I met a colleage who's a competitive shooter. Didn't think much about him either, I thought he was just a blowhard who brags too much about all the competitions he's won. Turns out it's true; he goes up agains statewide champions and routinely comes in first or second. He shows me the trophies, belt buckles and other shiny bling he wins. So he eventually wins my respect and I begin asking him simple questions about guns, lest I wait until it's too late to hide any ignorance.

So... I get interested in guns but want to do it right so I don't learn any bad habits. I enroll in a firearms / defensive tactics course to learn the right way from the start. Turns out I like shooting and I do it well. I found something satisfying about the way a gun kicks in your hand, the clean "pop" it makes, the scent of powder, and a round placed in the target just where you want it. The gun feels good on my belt, in a primal way, like a baby feels good in your arms. I love my gun! I now preach the virtues of responsible gun ownership and envison a day when every responsible adult walks around open carry and is very, very polite.

I have come to the realization - I've become a gun nut! Every American should own guns! To not own firearms is tantamount to... civic irresponsibility! I think of how I used to ignorantly accept all the garbage I've heard about the dangers of guns. Now I cringe every time the slightest inaccuracy is printed in a newspaper or portrayed on television. I understand the ill-conceived hypocrisy of waiting periods. I feel for those prisoners of New York, New Jersey, California, left defenseless against the lawless. Folks... get out while you can! Hurry! They might build a wall!

A year ago I thought I would never want a gun. After all, the likelihood of you getting hurt with your own gun is 3000% higher than a bad guy hurting you with one, right? :barf: Thank God for the Second Amendment and the NRA. I now own four guns. And I want more! I go to the range, sometimes not to shoot, simply because I feel at home there. I scour Gunbroker for a deal that may have gone unnoticed (they never do). My next purchase will be a nice pump action shotgun, maybe in 20 or 12 ga. Then, a 1911, maybe a Kimber or a Springfield but definitely a 45. Then, a wheel gun, but only because I don't have one and everyone should have a wheel gun, right?

So: When will it end? Is there a cure? Is there a cure in more guns? Is there a twelve step program for me?

Will I want a dog, too?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I be cured?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cosine
May 3, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have come to the realization - I've become a gun nut! Every American should own guns! To not own firearms is tantamount to... civic irresponsibility!
(emphasis mine)

I like that. :cool:

rangerruck
May 3, 2006, 12:40 AM
my suggestion, used gun shop racks, of 22's. they come in more ages, shapes, sizes, designs. you can get plenty, they are the cheapest, and every time that sick feeling overtakes you , go get one, spend 100 or so bucks, and put those illnesses in remission.

evan price
May 3, 2006, 12:46 AM
"Can I be cured?"

Sounds to me, like you already found the cure. The cure for slouching quietly towards the world the liberals want us to become. The cure for relying on others for your family's defence. The cure for accepting that perhaps, the world would be a better place if we just got rid of those darn guns- after all when nobody has a gun the criminals won't have any way to hurt us anymore...

The smell of burnt cordite works wonders for that sickness.
Happiness is a warm gun.
MOLON LABE

Jamie C.
May 3, 2006, 01:00 AM
"Can I be cured?"

Good question...
I don't know the answer though, 'cause I don't know of anybody that's ever wanted to be cured.... ;) :D

Still.... given enough guns and ammo, I'm sure your "symptoms" might lessen a bit.... But it'll take extreme doses. :evil:

J.C.

ugaarguy
May 3, 2006, 01:26 AM
Now liberated from my truck payment - I own the thing - I'm financially able to rebuild the gun collection that was eroded when I was young and dumber. I'm still young and dumb, just not as dumb. I picked up an old M&P to treat the wheel gun wants. It turned me into one who appreciates the OLD pinned & recessed blued steel with hardwood grips S&Ws - get a wheel gun, you won't regret it. BTW S&W M&Ps and model 10s can be found used for about $200 most places so they're easy on the wallet too.

azflyman
May 3, 2006, 03:20 AM
Your just screwed. You will forever have guns and can do nothing about it. The feling of being naked and empty will never pass if you get rid of your guns. Been there, done that, never again.

az

Twycross
May 3, 2006, 04:40 AM
To quote from the X3 movie trailer: "They wish to cure us, but I say that we are the cured!"

cyberwaste
May 3, 2006, 04:45 AM
I'm sorry there is no cure. I'm afraid it looks bad for you checking account!:evil:

Zen21Tao
May 3, 2006, 07:15 AM
I have experience a similar path to gun addiction. When I got out the Army I had only 2 (3 if you count a broken .22) guns, an HK USP and AR15 that I rarely used. I liked guns, I always have, but I wan't yet a fanatic. Then when I got to Univesity where I joined up with ome friends that started a pistol and rifle club. As I started learning about the functionality, politics and legality of firearms I became an avid enthusiast and found myself buying new gun after new gun (My current collection is up to 16 pieces). Now that politics and the law (I will be attending law school next year) play a big part in my life I find myself championing the pro-gun cause and cringing everytime the wrong termonoly is used (even when done by fellow gun owners).

Working Man
May 3, 2006, 08:43 AM
This just in from the FDA (Firearm Dispersal Agency)...

...there are NO known toxic levels of firearms. :eek:

So buy all you want but shoot all you buy. :D

Shrinkmd
May 3, 2006, 08:46 AM
Rifles for $130 bucks (less with the C&R license if you can)? Ammo by the wooden crate with commie lettering on it $80 or so delivered, 880 rounds of high-power centerfire?

Don't even put your toe into the milsurp waters. You'll never find your way out again...:)

boofus
May 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
You're a goner. :o

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

DWARREN123
May 3, 2006, 10:46 AM
There is no cure, and yes you will want a dog!:neener:

VARifleman
May 3, 2006, 11:07 AM
"Can I be cured?"

Sounds to me, like you already found the cure. The cure for slouching quietly towards the world the liberals want us to become. The cure for relying on others for your family's defense. The cure for accepting that perhaps, the world would be a better place if we just got rid of those darn guns- after all when nobody has a gun the criminals won't have any way to hurt us anymore...

The smell of burnt cordite works wonders for that sickness.
Happiness is a warm gun.
MOLON LABE

I like this post.

MarkV
May 3, 2006, 11:54 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. Plus I've gotten into reloading. So that's even hundreds of more dollars I've been spending. 8 months ago I had no guns and now I have 4 with a pretty good reloading setup for .45, 9mm, and .223.

All I can say is stay safe, have fun, and shoot strait.

depicts
May 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
why on earth would anyone want to be cured of this addiction???

MrTwigg
May 3, 2006, 02:03 PM
You have been assimiliated ! :D Now for gosh sakes, whatever you do don't even THINK about sending in for your Curio & Relic License !

So whatever you do, DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK ! ;) http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

If you do, don't click the little circle for F 5310.16 (F7CR) ...and when you get the plain brown envelope in the mail, don't write a check for $30.00 and send in the enclosed form.

Remember, we tried to warn you about this.:D

Mongo the Mutterer
May 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
The addiction which magically turns sheeple into sheep dogs...:p

jlowell
May 3, 2006, 02:27 PM
I contracted the desease also......just bought a sig revolution, a Kimber warrior, to compare and also a rem 700 5r milspec sniper setup.

And I have run 15000 rounds through my Kimber custom stainlesss in the past 3 months and 1000 rounnds throgh my bushaster AR

yep.....bad disease. I can relate

xring44
May 3, 2006, 02:35 PM
It is a disease, no known cure, the only realistic treatment is the aquireing of more firearms. This being said, looks like we could write the purchase price off our income tax, after all it is a illness!:D

History Prof
May 3, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have come to the realization - I've become a gun nut!

Welcome to the club. Personally, I prefer "Firearms Enthusiast." Gun Nut sometimes leaves lefties the impression of guys in red plaid flannel jackets and camo pants running around shooting up road signs.:banghead: Unfortunately, they're out there, too, but like you, I prefer to show myself as the "responsible gun owner." I can only say, "budget, budget, budget." Don't use credit cards to buy your guns, it becomes too easy. SAVE your $ and then buy when you have cash. It makes the purchase MUCH more meaningful!

reddogIII
May 3, 2006, 06:13 PM
There is no known cure. I am the only one who can help you with this. Your only option is to go "cold turkey". Fortunately for you, I am willing to assist you in this painful process. You must IMMEDIATELY carefully box up and wrap all available firearms and ship to my address. Email me for further instructions.http://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/evil.gif
:evil:

Carl N. Brown
May 3, 2006, 06:23 PM
Cured as venison or country ham?
Let's see, roll in pepper corns and salt and smoke slowly over smoldering hickory.

v35
May 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
Wow... guess the affliction is terminal...

The cure for slouching quietly towards the world the liberals want us to become. The cure for relying on others for your family's defence.

Well said Evan.

Interesting story about relianse on others. I realize that I misspelled reliance. But now I'm even with Evan. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was driving home from work late, about one AM. Very dark. Lights off the side of the road got my attention - turns out it was a car on its roof. Judging from its damage and location, it appeared the car left the roadway at pretty high speed. The wreck had come to rest behind a guard rail upside down, with the driver's side against a structure that was no longer recognizable. There was steam rising from what used to be the radiator, the headlights were bright, and gas was leaking from somewhere, so it appeared the accident happened within a few minutes of my arrival.

I called 911 and spoke to the dispatcher while I got out to see what I could do. I called out to the car and no one answered. I kept looking while I relayed all the information to the dispatcher and state police, but could find no one, no apparent former car occupants.

It's hard to describe how it can be possible to be unsure if there's a victim of a car accident until you've seen one -- the car was all mangled and inverted so my normal frame of reference was distorted. There were weeds, trees, glass, and pieces of junk that used to be a car and a shed or garage. The driver might have been in the back of the car, in the trunk, or tossed fifty feet into the bushes. Everything was totally dark and all I had was a penlight. I searched around but never found anyone.

Now the interesting part, about relying upon others for your well being. It was fifty minutes before the state troopers arrived! No one else drove by for nearly an hour. There were houses nearby, but they were all dark. I could find no one at the accident site in need of assistance, but what if there were? I was ill equipped to do anything for an injured person, and was frankly scared that someone was injured or bleeding to death and I couldn't do anything about it.

The troopers surmised the driver was DUI and he didn't want to hang around.

So... what if the situation were such that your house is being broken into, and you're inside. Suppose you're a woman alone and an attacker is approaching, and there's no where to run (don't mean to be sexist but that's reality). What will you do? Call 911 and wait upwards of an hour for help?

A gun isn't a cure-all but it's an available tool to assist one's self-reliance. Like a fire extinguisher. Beats calling out for help with no one to listen.

Gun Nut sometimes leaves lefties the impression of guys in red plaid flannel jackets and camo pants running around shooting up road signs.

Gun Nut is meant to be self-deprecating humor. I don't fit the camo pant image, but I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me a Gun Nut, because it's true. As far as the budget goes... you'd be proud. I haven't spent a single dime from my checking account. No car payments or other debt either except for a modest mortgage. Instead, I've financed my gun purchases by selling stuff on Ebay. You'd be amazed... that stuff you have clogging up your garage or attic is pure gold. With the help of Ebay, it can be turned into more precious metals like lead, copper, nickel, brass, steel... :D

I suppose you could call it a problem when I'm left with no possessions except for a pair of socks and a gun collection :uhoh:

v35
May 3, 2006, 08:22 PM
Mr Twigg... Thanks for the warning! It would have taken me a long time not to find the "F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms" on my own. And I won't be getting the application in 5 to 7 business days either!

Hmm.... that old typewriter must be worth at least $30...

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I be cured?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!