bg
May 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry to be the local TV guide, but this should be a pretty
interesting series. In one segment Metal Storm will be
put into action. That should be something to see. The series
has already started back in Apr and I missed it, but better
late than never seeing it all.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/series.jsp?series=25150&gid=0&channel=DSC

If you enjoyed reading about ""Future Weapons" on Discovery Channel tonight 5/3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
af1acura
May 3, 2006, 05:34 PM
I saw the last episode and he said something like ".223, the round used in the M-16" ".308 the caliber of an AK47" and the proceeded to show off the .50 cal. I guess he was close enough with the caliber descriptions.

RiverwinoIA
May 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
lol when i saw him call the .308 the ak round the first thing i thought about was thehighroad.org and all the people who will say something about it. hahahah

i have seen them all, and overall i really like the series. The unmanned sqaud of "dominators" would be an awesome weapon to deploy over a conventional ground war. Quite the concept.
I found it interesting the Germans have such cutting edge military techology. Glad they are now our allies, those guys certianly have a knack for engineering.

tonights theme is "maximum impact". the biggest and baddest stuff, short of nukes.

Sheldon J
May 3, 2006, 07:35 PM
I almost forgot about it, and it is after House too.!:p

real_name
May 3, 2006, 10:35 PM
The metal storm system was interesting but I'm not sure how I feel about an electronic trigger on a handgun.
Cost aside, I don't think I'll be an early adopter on this technology but I will be following it closely.

Spec ops Grunt
May 3, 2006, 10:56 PM
Couldnt a magnet or solar flare disrupt Metal Storm? EMPs dont disable ARs. Does metal storm run on batteries?

May 3, 2006, 11:21 PM
I chose not to watch this episode, but I saw the debut and have read a bit about Metalstorm.

Metalstorm: Seems like a great idea for antimissile defenses on ships and perhaps tanks. For a self-defense handgun, it seems close to the worst idea in the world.

As for the show, I have to say I find the host's style unbearable. I respect and am grateful for his service in the SEALs, but he kind of drives me bananas as a narrator. So many corny and vacuous lines - stuff like, "When you're facing the bad guys, you need maximum firepower." What is that supposed to mean? Is anyone else here driven crazy by those sort of empty utterances on shows like this? I hate to say it but he sounds like the host of "America's Wildest Police Chases" reading an Extreme Shock ammo ad. Oh well, it's back to www.fas.org for military technology information.

MechAg94
May 4, 2006, 01:09 AM
Do the gatling guns our jet fighters use electronic ignition? I know the rotory mechanism is electric.
I guess on the metal storm it would all depend on how sensitive the ignition is that it uses. Hopefully, they have thought of those issues.

Crosshair
May 4, 2006, 02:25 AM
I wonder if my disposeable camera EMP device will screw this thing up?:evil:

Lebben-B
May 4, 2006, 05:09 AM
I saw a lot of the metal storm footage from last night's show at the '04 AUSA convention. It's still pretty impressive. BUT - ask yourself what you didn't see: reloading. On the larger, grenade launcher variants reloading wouldn't be that bad, since it would used as a crew served weapon and you'd have several guys to accomplish the task. But the pistol would be time consuming at best. When I asked the MS rep about it, he handed me a DVD and politely brushed me off.

Mike

bogie
May 4, 2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, they assume you're gonna need it once, and that's it... All these ultra-expensive crew-served uber-duper thingies seem to forget that there might be a bad guy 20 yards away with an AK...

Plus, I have to concur that the host is a trifle tightly wrapped.

DunedinDragon
May 4, 2006, 10:35 AM
I think next Wednesday's episode may be more interesting. Exploring some non-lethal technology....

May 4, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think the advantage of Metalstorm's extremely high rate of fire is not so much in putting lots of steel on target, but decreasing the space between fired shots. If I recall correctly, even on a rotary gun with a high rate of fire such as an M61 or a Minigun, the actual physical distance between projectiles is pretty long. If your gun fires, say 200 rounds per second at a velocity of 3000fps, that's a distance of 15 feet between projectiles. That should be fine for shooting at aircraft or armored vehicles. But for anti-ship missiles... Some hypothetical Metalstorm turret on an aircraft carrier could conceivable fire 10,000 rounds per second, reducing the distance between projectiles to inches, essentially projecting a bar of metal to a certain place. So, for a small and fast target that absolutely, positively, must be destroyed, it makes a lot of sense.

Of course, you'd need a sophisticated fire control system, etc., and lots of redundant installations because reloading would be a hassle, but it seems to have great potential in this sort of role. For other applications, such as handguns, the disadvantages seem to outweigh the advantages. Imagine the failure drill for a Metalstorm defensive pistol - check battery, reconfirm authorization, bang!

Daniel T
May 4, 2006, 12:02 PM
I recorded last night's episode, but I haven't had a chance to watch it.

Who was it that called the .308 the caliber of the AK? Was it the host? Did an "EX-NAVY SEAL!!!!" proclaim that the AK uses .308? Huh.

TexasRifleman
May 4, 2006, 12:04 PM
As for the show, I have to say I find the host's style unbearable.

I agree. I just flipped by a re-run of the "Glock on a stick" around the corner thing and the guy is pretty annoying

AJ Dual
May 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yep, reloading. That's MetalStorms weakness. Not a problem for CWIS/Anti-Missile and grenade spreading, but for sustained fire in a machinegun role it's lacking.

Many of thier systems, the barrels are the ammunition. They come pre-loaded from the factory, with the rounds and propellant stacked inside like roman candles.

The handgun and rifle prototypes are the same. Once you discharge the weapon, you have to get new loaded barrels from the factory. A perfect solution for the state to control exactly what you shoot, and how much.

HankB
May 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
Do the gatling guns our jet fighters use electronic ignition?Some fighters do . . . an ordnance type once told me that during the Falkland's conflict, whenever they were conducting Harrier flight operations, all the radars on the Brit carriers had to be shut down, lest they initiate the electronically-primed ordnance on the jets.

I've got some questions regarding Metalstorm in relation to accuracy, reload, reliability under combat conditions, etc. And their "firing rate" numbers, while technically accurate, are more than a bit misleading. (Question: If you count each pellet, what "rate of fire" does your shotgun produce for that single shot when you fire at a clay pigeon? Let's see, several hundred pellets in the couple of milliseconds it takes to travel the length of the barrel . . . ) Some hypothetical Metalstorm turret on an aircraft carrier could conceivable fire 10,000 rounds per second, reducing the distance between projectiles to inches, essentially projecting a bar of metal to a certain place.Considering the small "magazine" capacity, it would be a mighty short bar that would have to be timed to exactly match the incoming projectile in time & space . . .

As far as last night's episode was concerned . . . the narrator twice stated that the thermobaric bombs were dropped from F-15s . . . so why were they showing F-16 footage?

Nathaniel Firethorn
May 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
Before we get all gooey about Metalstorm, let's not forget that they are complicit in the "smart" gun stealth handgun ban. (http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=news&submenu=News&prid=103&category=Announcements%202003)

- NF

May 4, 2006, 12:27 PM
Good point HankB, one imagines some giant magazine with 50,000 rounds, which is of course not how Metalstorm works. However, with good fire control systems, radar, etc., it should be possible to project that short "bar" in a burst of twenty rounds or something, where it will intercept the incoming missile and stand a better chance of killing it. However, I'm sure there's still a lot of development left before it's adopted and deployed, if ever. But rate of fire is one limiting factor in CIWS, and Metalstorm is a potential solution to that problem.

Deanimator
May 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
The "Metal Storm" thing has been around forever. It never seems to go anywhere. The claim about a dud being pushed out by the round behind it seems iffy to me, especially with an explosive projectile in a rifled barrel. A handgun which functioned as described would clearly come under the NFA. In addition, I wouldn't want a firearm which required me to replace the BARRELS to reload.

The self-loading intelligent howitzer certainly seems both interesting and promising, though.

Rob1035
May 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
that pistol seems akin to the HK underwater gun that needs to be sent back to HK to be reloaded...

I agree about the host, and his script errors. I remember when the Discovery Channel tended to get stuff right:rolleyes:

Sergeant Sabre
May 4, 2006, 12:49 PM
an ordnance type once told me that during the Falkland's conflict, whenever they were conducting Harrier flight operations, all the radars on the Brit carriers had to be shut down, lest they initiate the electronically-primed ordnance on the jets.

This sounds kind of suspect. If it were completely true, wouldn't the ordnance detonate when the Harrier was painted by a hostile radar?

Rob1035
May 4, 2006, 01:08 PM
and wouldn't that sort of invalidate the harriers and the ships radar if they had to shut it down every time the harriers were used?

MrTuffPaws
May 4, 2006, 01:40 PM
From some of the early marketing info I read on MS, it sounded like while your gun had multiple barrels, reloading would be done by either replacing the barrels or loading them all at once from the back of the barrels with cylinders of stacked ammo.

jerkyman45
May 4, 2006, 07:22 PM
I enjoyed last nights piece, I do like those metalstorms, theyre just so cool. Go to their website and watch the test videos, its just awesome. The one thing I don't like about the show is that the host just seems overly dramatic a lot of the time. idk if anyone else noticed that, but when they were demonstrating the MLRS last night the guy just got so somber and dramatic, it was just annoying.

50 Freak
May 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
For a guy that claims to have 10 years experience as a Navy SEAL, he sure blinks a lot when he fires guns.

Watch when he was shooting that "tactified" AK, AR and some bullpup. In all instances, both his eyes close when he pulls the trigger.

Maybe that's some new weird SEAL training method but I just don't get it.

Carl N. Brown
May 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
To me Metalstorm sounds like the greatest thing since
the Dardick Tround or the Gyrojet Rocket pistol.
Once it is empty, does a metalstorm gun have enough
heft to make it a credible club?

Was anyone else reminded of the future cops in their
jet packs in Fahrenheit 451 the movie?
Or the late 1930s popular science magazine announcement
of the M1 Garand that showed soldiers in formation
returning fire at a straffing airplane like redcoats lined
up at Lexington?
(I am being :evil: and snide/sarcastic snarky today.)

If you enjoyed reading about ""Future Weapons" on Discovery Channel tonight 5/3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!