Dumbest thing you heard/saw in a Gun Store or at the range.

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

TheBigBulgarian
May 3, 2006, 06:18 PM
I am going to the local range and I am behind This big red "hicked out" pick up truck. Nothing wrong with being a hick people call me that cuz of the music I listen to. but any ways.
The driver doesn't know where he is going so he is moving very slow. so he goes into the range parking lot. I park get my guns out of the trunk and the dude in the truck is still sitting in it, but I see his face and his bubba camo hat.
I go sign in for a lane and am just waiting. well bubba walks in not only acamo hat but a camo coat on too. (my gun range also has a gun store and also the guys are very friendly so they answer any question).
Bubba goes to the counter and says: " I have a question about my Sig's Laser Sight"
So they ask if he has it. He pulls it out of his coat pocket, he didn't have a holster in there either.
Well he has this odd looking laser attached to it with a long wire hanging from it.
The RO asks to see the gun right away to make sure it is not loaded.
And asks where did you get the laser from?
Bubba pauses for a second he is thinking:
!I took it off of a plastic BB gun!
At his point I had to hold i in and just smile the other way. I don't know how the RO held it in but.
He told him there is no way that it would work and that he should never do this again or try to shoot the gun with this laser on it because it is not designed for a firearm and it might fly off due to the recoil.
Bubba took his gun back and walked out without saying anything.
The RO's didn't say anything to each other but they did look at each other.
I was glad bubba didn't say he wanted to shoot cuz I would have requested a lane far way from him hell put me in a different bay.
the range has 3 bays.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest thing you heard/saw in a Gun Store or at the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manedwolf
May 3, 2006, 06:47 PM
That's called "darwin in action". He'd learn when it snapped off and whacked him in the forehead.

And generally, when I walk into a gun store with a gun, I have the mag gone and the slide locked back, just to make the owner relax a bit more.

Sheldon J
May 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
There was the .32 with the split barrel, a total of 18 rounds were stuck there, owner had tried to take a screw driver to it and pound out the stuck bullets, every New Year they went out side and fired a cyl full. Now how many years did they do this :eek:

Next there was the shot gun barrel burst, guy was out hunting and the rabbit went into a hole, insert gun pull trigger. :what:

Next is the split riffle barrel, guy decided to make his own hollow points, cut, drill, shoot, squirt, shoot again. :cuss:

or how about the revolver cyl, that was blown up, guy loads own, uses hand style lee loader with scoop, theory is one scoop good, two scoops better, three scoops best. :banghead:

Is that enough?:D

Tory
May 3, 2006, 08:58 PM
Stupidest thing I can recall seeing in a gun store happened with a yuppie couple shopping for a handgun. Owner shows them various makes and models which either caught their eye or which appeared to fit whatever criteria they had. Not being that close and not really listening, I don't know if they had a collective clue, or if the owner was attempting to assist their actually getting one.

The owner has turned to get something behind him. Barbie, giving the acquisition of firearms the full degree of serious attention her little mind can devote to this matter, picks the pistol up, puts it to Ken's head and, with the vapid no-wrinkles pageant smile her ilk learns, pulls the trigger. :what:

I only hope she doesn't breed.................

albanian
May 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
There is no way I pick the dumbest so I will just relate the latest. I went to a gunshow to sell or trade my Bulgarian Makarov. I showed it to a dealer that asked to see it while I was looking over some of his S&W used revolvers. He actually had a few nice older S&Ws but the prices were NUTS. He is the kind of guy that wants $800 for a run of the mill K-38. I love K-38s but $800 is way too much for the one he had. $300-400 would be a fair price so he is at least double. Anyway, he looks at my Mak and proceeds to tell me all about it. He tells me that it was a military issue because ONLY military handguns have the laynard loop on the grip frame. I normally let stupid comments go by but I told him that ALL Maks have the same laynard loop and it just as easliy could be a police issue as a military issue. Somehow that escapes him and he balthers on. He does say that he would give me $200 in trade which is more than I was asking but his prices on the S&Ws were well over $200 what I would normally pay so I couldn't do any deals with him.

oh blanky
May 3, 2006, 09:07 PM
A guy in a gun shop told me he just bought a title 2 full auto MP5 for $1200 (2005) and there was a new law that said you could only have 1000 rounds of ammo in your posession.

choochboost
May 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
Without a doubt, the dumbest thing I have ever heard/seen in a gun store was the clerk behind the counter. I don't know where they get these guys.

I asked for Gold Dots once and the clerk, looking puzzled, asks me if that was a scope. Then just last week a customer was telling a clerk how he was concerned about his Glock because when he forcefully inserted the mag, the slide slammed closed. The clerk confirmed the customers fears and said the pistol needed to be sent back to Glock. There's plenty more stories, those are just the recent ones that come to mind.

zeke2138
May 3, 2006, 09:37 PM
I saw a guy who had loaded his shotshells with a slug and buckshot at the same time. The first round blew the barrel apart. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

Warren
May 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
Once in my local shop some idiot, after taking a rifle down from thesecond story of a two-story rack and giving it a look-see put it back but in such a way that the rifle slid out of the rack and fell to the floor making a hideous racket.

Man, was I embarrased. Luckily it was an M-N so no harm done.

Smith357
May 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
A friend of mine was at the gun shop with an indoor range, he asked to see a Thompson rental gun on the wall. The guy behind the counter checked the gun and handed it over, then my friend shouldered the rifle and aimed up at the wall and pulled the trigger, the gun want bang and put a nice hole in the range safety sign.

Andras
May 3, 2006, 09:58 PM
I'm at an indoor range. The guy next to me asked if I could look at his pistol and see why the slide won't close.

He had put the cartridges in the magazine reversed! They were base-forward, bullet to the rear.

wrench
May 3, 2006, 10:10 PM
Just last weekend, waiting my turn at the gun counter, guy asks to see a keltec p3at. Looks at it, likes it, asks the clerk how it breaks down. Clerk replies, "oh, they don't come apart, it's a cheap gun, when it gets dirty you just throw it away":eek:

Hollowdweller
May 3, 2006, 10:47 PM
My favorite was this guy and the shop owner were talking about crime.

The guy was going on about how criminals needed to be punished to the maximum extent of the law, and how we should kill all the lawyers and liberals and going on about the ACLU and all these technicalities people get off on and then conversation drifted on and the guy went on about how this lawyer got him completely off from a DUI conviction and how great it was:evil:

kentucky_smith
May 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
Looking for ammo at a gunstore I usually don't like. They've got the ammo behind the counter on the floor. I spy some 7.5x55 Swiss for my K31. I ask to see it and it's really old Norma. $33!:what: for 20.

Guy makes smart aleck comment about those cheap guns you can't get ammo for. I say reloading is definitely an option for this one. He asks me where would you get 7.5mm bullets? I tell him I use .308s.

Should have seen the look on his face, he then goes on to lecture me that that's creating way too much pressure and I'm going to blow myself up.
I'm not going back there.

#2. Go into another gunstore and see strange rifle that I'm not familiar with. Labeled Russian but for cartridge 7.35 JAP. :scrutiny: Tagged $75, I offer $50 and take it home. It's a Carcano, with a Finland SA label. :D

Stupidity can be used in your favor.

HonorsDaddy
May 3, 2006, 11:05 PM
For those of us who do not understand, how good a deal was that Carcano exactly and why does the label matter?

Zen21Tao
May 4, 2006, 12:33 AM
Stupidest customer at a gunstore:
When a friend and I were at a gunstore a guy walked in and was interested in the militarty arms on the back wall that had orange/red tips (Air Soft). He asked to see one (and MP5) and held in for a couple minutes then gave it back to the clerk. He honestly thought it was a real gun and didn't know how to check the action of he would have noticed it wasn't real. The real gut buster was him talking about he used one just like it while he was a sniper in the Army.

Not necessaily stupid but a moment when a gunstore clerk ignorance worked in my favor:
I was in a gunstore where I saw a DA/SA Sig P239 .40 S&W with a barcode on the slide for $500. The clerk said that all Sigs come from the factory now with barcodes and that I should just rub the barcode off. If I recall correctly he said that he gave this same advice to someone else that he sold a barcoded Sig to. My friend, which is very knowledgble about guns, convinced me that I should buy the gun. Once the sale was done my friend told the clerk that the barcode means the gun was a homeland security gun and since the government only bought DAO this gun (being a DA/SA) must have came from the testing and evaluation program and was very rare. :D

White Horseradish
May 4, 2006, 01:33 AM
I was walking through a gun show and overheard a guy showing a Mosin to his friend "Hey, these are good because you can easily convert them to .303 British"

Errr... What?

JShirley
May 4, 2006, 01:52 AM
They're both .311. He probably got confused while repeating what he'd heard (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=198559)- it's the other way around, of course.

John

kentucky_smith
May 4, 2006, 09:11 AM
re: the Carcano

They had no clue what it was, it's in great shape, all complete, no import marks and knocked out a need to get on my all WWII battle rifle collection list.

HankB
May 4, 2006, 09:40 AM
#1. I was working as range officer when some gentlemen of the Asian persuasion with army experience (so they said, although they didn't specify WHICH army!) came in with a very expensive, high-grade Olympic-style .22 rifle wearing a very large 'scope. Unhappy that their groups at 50 yards didn't coincide with the crosshairs, they proceeded to wedge the barrel against the legs of the shooting bench as they tried to bend it to make it shoot right..

#2. Range officer again. Guy and his teenage son come in with a lever action 30/30 they'd just put a 'scope on. Scope was mounted WAY too far back. I went up to the guy and opined that the 'scope was really far back, and if he fired it that way he'd get hit in the forehead.

"DID I ASK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION???" was his very loud response.

I allowed as no, he hadn't, but . . . he cut me off and told me in no uncertain terms to mind my own business, and proceeded to tell his grinning son that I was a know-nothing busybody and worse. Kid really seemed to enjoy watching Dad put me down.

Line goes "hot" and with the first shot, you guessed it, deep cut over guy's eyebrow. Blood on face, shirt, gun, shooting bench. Kid is frantic, old man soon has blood-soaked handkerchief over wound. When things calm down, the guy looks at me and says "I suppose you're going to say 'I told you so' " . . . My reply was "No, you said it for me."

Then I did something I probably wouldn't do today - I turned to the kid and said "Let this be a lesson - your old man has a big mouth but he's not too smart. Remember this - and if you ever need advice on something important, talk to your mother instead of him."

Zero_DgZ
May 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
Once had a counter jockey argue with me for a while over Glocks. Specifically, he seemed adamant that they all had plastic slides. I couldn't convey to him that most of a Glock is steel just like any other gun and it's just the grip and frame that's plastic. To be fair, this was at the airsoft shop.

The line that got me was after I told him that I know somebody who owns two (it would have been better if I could tell him that I owned one, but I'm still working on that one) and damned if those things weren't made out of metal.

His reply?

"I don't know what kind of Glocks those were, then, because I know what I'm talking about."

Alright buddy. Whatever you say.

Hank: I sort of made that mistake when I was a kid. Spring air rifle, scope rings wouldn't stay put. After a handful of shots my POI kept going up, up, and up for some reason and I finally figured out when with a mighty "ping!" the rear scope ring let go off the end of the rail and the scope bopped me in the eye.

billcavazos
May 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
Gosh, I have heard lots. The one that comes to mind is the guy next to me at the rifle range. I was sighting in with some new heavier bullet ammo. Noticed my shots were printing on the target one inch higher and was expecting them to be lower because of the heavier slower bullet. The guy on the range said they are printing higher because of the harder recoil which was bucking the rifle up and causing the impact to be higher.

Nashmack
May 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
I was at Pete's gun and tackle in Hudson NH two weeks ago, younger gentleman walked in and asked the clerk if he had any .30-06s in stock, as he needed one for duck hunting:scrutiny:

HankB
May 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
The guy on the range said they are printing higher because of the harder recoil which was bucking the rifle up and causing the impact to be higher.He may very well have been right - heavier bullets generally go slower than lighter bullets, leading to more "dwell time" in the barrel. The firearm starts moving as soon as the bullet does, so with the longer dwell time during which the barrel moves more it's very common for heavier bullets to print higher on a target, at least when ranges are short to medium. (This is most apparent with handguns.)

Of course, the trajectory will be different, but here we're just talking about point of impact at a particular range.

Lupinus
May 4, 2006, 11:18 AM
I was at Pete's gun and tackle in Hudson NH two weeks ago, younger gentleman walked in and asked the clerk if he had any .30-06s in stock, as he needed one for duck hunting
....what kind of ducks yall have up there that could feed alota people on thanksgivin :neener:

Dumbest thing was at an indoor range. Father was there with his son (kid was maybe 12) and firing a Beretta 92, dad is just loading a mag and letting her rip and his groups look like shotgun blasts, now I'm not great either but mine don't look like a shotgun. Anyway great for teaching the kid how to shoot eh?

So he lets his son up pops in a full mag and with no instruction or anything hands over the gun....kid then proceeds to turn his head to the side squint his eyes shut and grit his teeth like be is preparing for the worst and lets her rip "Way to go son you got one on the paper!" :scrutiny:

TerryBob
May 4, 2006, 11:37 AM
This is a second hand story but I always liked it.

A lady walks into the store and ask if they have bullets. Then she ask "How much are they?"

TerryBob

TerryBob
May 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
I've heard this story for years but I'm not sure how true it is.

There was a lone shooter at the range and it was his first time there. After shooting for a while, he goes into the range house and said that it was a very nice range but he did not like the backstop. It seems that he was facing the wrong way and was firing at the concrete wall of the range house.

That building was made for the military and has two foot thick reinforced concrete walls.

The next time that you go to the Knob Creek Range Machine Gun Shoot, look at the wall behind the firing tables. The knob Creek Logo is painted right on top of these holes. Go check it out and have a little chuckle.

TerryBob

DPB
May 4, 2006, 11:50 AM
Possibly not the stupidest, but in the top five I've seen.

Have any of you seen the video that used to be on the Buffertech website where the middle eastern looking gentleman is firing a large rifle at an indoor range and it spins out of his hand and almost knocks him down when he pulls the trigger?

A buddy and I are checking out of the local indoor range. This gunshop/range has a try before you buy program, and a rather thin young man has decided he is going to try before he buys with a single shot shotgun. You know, the kind that weighs about four pounds. The guy behind the counter takes his money and hands him his three 12 guage shells. Well, I happen to know that unless they know you really well, they will only let you shoot slugs out of a shotgun at said range. You can see where this is going.

My buddy starts to leave, and I say "Hang on dude, you're gonna want to see this." Buddy turns around and immediately grasps the finer points of the situation. Shooter loads one and assumes the classic "I've never done this before and have no idea what I'm doing" stance, leaning back, an inch or so of space (acceleration room) between his shoulder and the stock.

Well, to his credit, he didn't drop the gun or fall down. He did move backwards about four feet. He puts the gun down, rubs his shoulder, and starts to laugh. I'm pretty sure he was laughing to avoid the crying he wanted to do.

Surprisingly, he fired the second slug. He did not fire the third. I guess a slow learner is better than a no learner. I'm pretty sure he didn't buy the shotgun.

We laughed until we about wet ourselves. This was about 5 years ago, and it will still bring laughter to this day.

ATAShooter
May 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
2 Dummies in the same day...

First, I was at the pistol range, there was a lady there shooting a black powder 58 Rmington revolver C&B pistol. I hadn't paid her much mind, then I stopped to take a breather and drink a soda. I noticed while she was reloading, she put on the caps first, then the rest of the components.

Second, later that night at the local gun store, a fellow had not wanted to carry his truck keys on him, so he hid them in the fuel door on his pickup. When he went to leave, the keys had evidently fell further down into the body. He couldn't find them so he was looking in the open fuel door area with a BIC lighter trying to find his keys in the dark.

Zero_DgZ
May 4, 2006, 12:18 PM
Some folks are gluttons for punishment.

I was shooting with my nephew (he's about the same age as me, and this will factor in) right after I got my little NEF break open 12. Well, I was shooting the Mossberg and he was shooting the NEF and we were having a grand old time with light trap loads and whatnot. Well, we start getting down to the bottom of the ammo box and find this one box of 3" uber-buttwhoop magnum OOO buckshot shells.

To be honest with you, I didn't even know that NEF was chambered for 3". But apparently it was, and my nephew - Now, you have to picture this, the boy weighs about 230 pounds and is not small framed at all - Shoulders that silly little gun with that shell in it and lets it rip. He was hunkered down pretty good with his legs spread fairly far apart - Not a stance for accuracy's sake but a stance for not falling over. Well, judging by the skid marks in the dirt that shot scooted him backwards on the soles of his shoes about two inches.

I'm expecting the dance of pain or at the very least he'll want to trade guns for the heavier Mossberg. Nope. He turns to me with a mile wide grin on his face, holds out his hand, and says "Gimme another one of those!"

ball3006
May 4, 2006, 12:29 PM
first, I stopped at a pawn shop and they had an Enfield on the rack. I give it the look see and realize it is a matching Lithgow, which I don't have in my collection. I ask what the price is and he replys 165. I said I would think about is as the bore was pretty dark. The next day SWMBO and I go back and I take a couple extra rifles I have, a 91/30 and a Turk Mauser. Both are pretty nice and shoot well. I ask the guy if he would be interested in a trade and he says what do you have. After looking he says he will give me 20 bucks apiece toward the purchase of the Enfield. Duh....
second, I went into one of the rather nice gunshops around here and mixed in with a bunch of pretty beat Yugo SKS, is a Chinese SKS with 130 bucks tag on it. I scope it out and find out it is an all matching Sino-Soviet. My elbow hurt for three days when I twisted it grabbing my wallet out of my pocket.........results, win one lose one....chris3

Phantom Warrior
May 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
A buddy and I are checking out of the local indoor range. This gunshop/range has a try before you buy program, and a rather thin young man has decided he is going to try before he buys with a single shot shotgun. You know, the kind that weighs about four pounds. The guy behind the counter takes his money and hands him his three 12 guage shells. Well, I happen to know that unless they know you really well, they will only let you shoot slugs out of a shotgun at said range. You can see where this is going.

Done it. NEF single shot 12 gauge, Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs, and all 145 pounds of me. My best friend thought it would be an economical deer hunting option. I made it three rounds and then stomped and swore up to the shop and said "ADAM! How much will it cost to get a .308?"

gopguy
May 4, 2006, 01:42 PM
I was once at a gun show looking at an old hinge frame S&W DA revolver in .44 Russian. I was very interested until the seller started telling me the reason for his high price was the scarcity of this rare gun designed to compete with the Colt .45 auto in the army pistol trial. My pointing out the patent dates, clear to be read on the barrel rib were from the 1880s.......this pin head talked himself out of a sale. No matter that I even brought him a copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson" to prove my point later. Facts were not going to get in the way of his story.....:banghead:

Magic79
May 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse, a big chain store with just about every current model on the wall, waiting for a clerk. I look to the left and there is a woman with her 15-16 year old son and the boy is looking at handguns.

The clerk hands him a .357 4" and he cavalierly waves it around. "I'd like to see that one" he says pointing to another gun on the wall.

The clerk turns his back and as soon as he does, the kid sticks his finger through the trigger guard and does the 'cowboy twirl' with the revolver. Unfortunately, he didn't drop it and the clerk never saw what happened. I thought about telling the clerk not to turn his back again, but uncharacteristically, I just kept my mouth shut.

DPB
May 4, 2006, 02:43 PM
Phantom Warrior, you couldn't have been the guy I saw. He didn't make it three rounds.

On the other hand, just in case my memory is going, you weren't stationed at Bragg in the last six years, were you?

Deanimator
May 4, 2006, 03:51 PM
1. I was there but didn't see it personally, but while I was doing an ROTC internship with the 5th Cav. at Fort Knox in the late '70s, the troop I was assigned to went to the practice LAW range. While firing the 35mm(?) practice rockets, one of the trainees pulled the launch tube down at the last moment, so that the rear end was pressed firmly against his shoulder. He wasn't killed, but the plastic and brass igniter mechanism had to be surgically removed from the imitation female organ that he instantly created in his shoulder. The National Guard captain who was also TDY to the troop said, "I'll bet he doesn't do THAT again..."

2. While serving as the XO of a Basic Training company at Fort Knox in the '80s, I regularly patronized the public range, which was also open to local civilians. One morning a friend and I were shooting his HK93 and my Lee-Enfield. A couple of local yokels drove up and started setting up their gear. We called a ceasefire to change targets and started downrange. Moments later I heard a snap off to one side, then a report. This was quickly followed by several others. We turned and saw the Beverly Hillbillys firing while we were downrange! We called ANOTHER ceasefire and asked them what they were doing. Their reply, "We wasn't shootin' AT you, we was shootin' PAST you!" We then told them that if they shot "past" us again, we would return their fire by shooting THROUGH them. We then proceeded to range control to report them. They had left by the time we got back to the line.

3. Wanting to zero my guns at 25 yards for Camp Perry, I went to the Stonewall range, outside of Cleveland. No sooner had I put my gunbox on the bench than the guy in the stall next to mine came off the line, swinging his Ruger centerfire auto across my body with the action closed. I debated saying something, but fearing that would prolong his stay, I said nothing. He left the range to my great relief. A few minutes later, I looked off to my left to see three Serbian (or Croatian) gentlemen wrestling over a loaded 12ga. pump. At that point, I finished my business as fast as humanly possible and got out of there.

4. In the early '90s I was shooting a long range match at Camp Perry during the Nationals. Right after a 1000 yard relay began, there was a ceasefire which lasted at least an hour. Apparently, an elderly pit officer decided that he would disregard the pit safety instructions. Rather than stand against the bunker wall, or sit in the bunker, he decided to stand next to the target frame. Back in those days, there was a permanent handrail leading down the sandbag steps on top of the berm into the pits. Apparently, somebody didn't have a good 1000 yard zero. Instead of hitting the target, frame or berm, the bullet hit the handrail at a downward angle. It then traveled along the handrail, coming off at an angle to the left. It struck gramps' shooting glasses, skidded a bit, entered his face (knocking out a few teeth along the way) then exited his jawline. He was mildly discomfited by this. Immediate first aid was rendered while the medevac helicopter was en route. He was airlifted to a hospital in Sandusky or Toledo. Three or four hours later, he was back, escorted by a teenage girl detailed to keep him out of trouble.

5. I wasn't there, but a friend was: A friend had a Jordanian Army officer in his Armor Officer Basic Course Class. "George" was kind of the Arab version of "Kelso" on That '70s Show. They used to do things like make up imaginary slang sayings to teach him, such as "That really tortures my crabs!" for a frustrating situation. One day on the tank range, "George" was the loader in his vehicle. In the sequence of tank firing commands, once the loader has a round in the breech, he's supposed to call out "up!". The student tank commander called out a fire mission like, "Gunner, sabot, tank, direct front, 1500 meters!" The gunner replied as he was required, "Identified!" No reply from "George". Still no reply from "George". The TC started calling out, "George, give me an 'up'!" Still no reply. Frustrated, the gunner finally said "Screw it, 'On the way!'" and fired. "George" who had until that time been in the bottom of the turret searching for the flashlight that he'd dropped, chose that moment to sit up... with his head immediately behind the breech of the 105mm gun. As the breech recoilled, it struck "George" in the side of his vehicle crewman's helmet, knocking him over senseless (well, more senseless than usual). "George" staggered upright, the plastic shell of his helmet splitting and falling off of the padded liner. In a Robin Williams quaalude drawl, "George" babbled, "I do not think I can continuuuuuuue..." He then crawled out of the loader's hatch, sliding down the side of the turret headfirst and falling to the ground next to the M60A3. I imagine that today, he's a brigade commander in the Jordanian Armored Corps...

6. Another friend was on the tank range at Graffenwoehr in West Germany. There were strict orders not to molest any wildlife in the training areas. His platoon was just getting ready for a firing exercise with coaxes and cupola machineguns when a herd of deer entered the impact area from one side of the range. Just as my friend was beginning to shout, "None of you :cuss: better start shooting!", a tremendous fusillade of machinegun fire erupted from the platoon. Thousands of rounds of 7.62 and .50 obscured the deer in a cloud of dust kicked up by the bullet strikes. The guns fell silent, and there was an eerie silence... broken by the herd of deer bounding out of the dust cloud. My friend proceeded to lambaste his platoon, not only for disobeying orders, but for missing an entire herd of deer with EVERY round.

DPB
May 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
Since Deanimator brought up the Jordanian officer, I have to tell this one. It's not directly gun related, although it does involve a gun. I also did not directly witness this one, but word spread pretty quick.

We were in Phase I (now Phase II) of the SF Q Course, the small unit tactics phase. We are in heavy squad (10ish) size squads, and each squad has it's own planning bay with attached living quarters (Camp Mackall, for those who know the area.) We had a lot of CPTs in the class, so each squad has like 3-4 CPT SF trainees and 6-7 NCO SF trainees.

We have an Egyptian officer who frequently served as amusement to those of us not assigned to his squad.

Well, the squad with the Egyptian comes in off of a 3-4 day patrol. As with any combat unit, first priority is weapons maintenance.

The Egyptian walks up to the senior NCO student, hands him his M-4, and says "In my country, officers don't clean their own weapons."

Fortunately for our relationship with the nation of Egypt, one or more of the American officers pulled him aside and explained that we weren't in his country and that he needed to clean his weapon, thus preventing the impending international incident.

I still laugh every time I think about that.

Zen21Tao
May 4, 2006, 04:24 PM
Some folks are gluttons for punishment.

Perhaps the stupiest thing that could be done at a gunstore is attempt to rob/burgarize the place. This is especially stupid when the owner of the gunshop has already shot, and in some cases killed, other robbers/burglers in the past.

Read about the old guy that owns my favorite local gun store (Note: Story written in 1995): http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

Excerpt:
"I like to tell folks that I put that one there intentionally," says Harry with a puckish grin. At 68, Harry admits that his recollection is a bit cloudy, but he figures that in his 35 years in the retail gun business he has experienced right at 35 robberies and burglaries. He proudly notes that in all those rip-offs and heist attempts, only two firearms were not recovered.

He also remembers the only three times when the thieves were unfortunate enough to face him. Each time, it evolved into a gun battle. Each time, he shot them and they didn't get to shoot him.

The first was a pure pistol fight. Harry drew and shot the robber, who lost all interest in carrying on the fight. This saved his life; when the wounded gunman surrendered, Harry Beckwith, a moral man, didn't shoot him again.

In the second shootout, the gun dealer interrupted a felon about to drive off with guns he'd heisted from the store. Though not a Class III weapons dealer, Beckwith was federally licensed to possess such arms for his own use. When the thug raised a .45 auto pistol at Harry, Beckwith trumped his ace with a burst of full automatic fire from a Smith & Wesson Model 76 9mm submachine gun. Struck in the forehead, the gunman dropped his pistol and screamed, "I'm hit!"

The third story is the best but much longer than these two so check it out through the link above.

proud2deviate
May 4, 2006, 07:19 PM
My stupidest wolud have to be the clerk at a local gunstore screaming at me (and I do mean screaming,) that it was flat out, drop dead illegal to transfer a handgun from a private seller (as opposed to a dealer.) Asked if it would be okay if it was transfered from a dealer on his end. (still screaming,) "No! IT'S ILLEGAL!!" Asks I, after a pause, "Are you sure?" The given reply, "Well I oughta be sure! I been in this business fer twenty-five frickin' years!"

I took my business across town and got the gun transfered. I wish I could say I never went back there, but deer season came along and every other place in town was out of 6.5x55.

N3rday
May 4, 2006, 08:34 PM
Had a friend in high school who was so jazzed about his new 'Uzi'. Yeah, sure. Said it was so cool to hold the trigger down and hear it click over and over in fast succession. Same guy says it's amazing to watch a deer fly back after it gets hit with a 30.-06.

Local gun store clerk, trying to sell two guys a revolver. He pulls it out, the two guys look at it, and the clerk takes it back, proceeding to hold an entire conversation about it with the muzzle pointing at his own stomach.

TheArchDuke
May 4, 2006, 08:41 PM
That's one of my gun movie/video game pet peaves.

Full auto gun out of ammo

*pull* *click*
"huh?"
*pull* *click*
*pull* *click*
*pull* *click*
I'm out of ammo!

TheArchDuke
May 4, 2006, 08:46 PM
I haven't been shooting long enough to have seen really stupid things at the range (although I'm pretty sure I've asked plenty of stupid questions. Ask my brother {dasmi}).

But (and I wasn't looking when this happened, someone told me about it) last time we were out in the hills shootin' at cans and stuff, there was a group maybe 100 yards to our right. They seemed a little loud and roudy but they weren't doing anything unsafe from what I could tell. Well apparently they were throwing clay pigeons and one didn't go very far and completely sideway instead of out. One of them with a shotgun proceeded to blast the clay pigeon on the ground only a few feet away from his friends legs.

Like I said, I didn't actually see it so I don't know how close it really was.

Be safe and use common sense.

Foxtrot427
May 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
A buddy of mine was talking about swords or some crap. And how they take skill unlike guns. Hahaha. I just said "have you ever shot out to a thousand yards" and he obviously lied and said "yeah!". He is often a know-it-all. However he often admits he doesnt know guns. Seems odd that a guy who barely knows a thing about guns shoots out to 1k yards and gets good groups (just previously I had to explain to him what a group was). All he did was dig himself deeper by trying to spit out long geometric words in a rapid sucession. It was funny really.

pete f
May 4, 2006, 08:57 PM
A guy who was telling his buddy that a 7 mag could use 7 mauser for "lite loads"

A guy who wanted mag loads for his potmetal .380, he spied .38 supers on the shelf and said he wanted them.

The kid who brought in his dads really nice SXS with a big blob of metal where the muzzles were. He had tried to fire some 12 guage flares out of the full choked side. They had stuck and turned the end to molten blobs.

The guy who had been using the browning A5 as a walking stick up the slippery side slope of the creek then tried to "blow the crap" out of the gun barrel.

The lady who asked "if we sold guns,"
us "yes we are a gun shop"
her ''I want one now,"
us "well there is a three day wait for handguns, and you need to get a
permit to purchase..."
her "dammmit can you rent me one? i only need it for a little while
the SOB is still at the bar...''

and the very normal two sides of a coin.....

"that 30-30 will only scare them a way at anything past 50 yards, you need a 340 to kill deer properly........"

and its corrolary; "what do you need that 338 for, i have killed hundreds of elk at 400 yards with my 30-30."

Likewise, " you need to buy a 270 because a 30-06 kicks like a mule." and its corrollary, "you need a 30-06, a 270 is just too light for deer."

EddieCoyle
May 4, 2006, 11:26 PM
Not a gun store story but...

I buy ammo at a local Dick's Sporting Goods because they always have it (at least the common stuff) and the prices are good. Just the week before last they had R-P 9mm JHP for under $6/box with an additional 10% discount if you bought ten boxes.

Here in the People's Republic, most people have never even seen a gun so I frequently get funny looks/comments/questions from both employees and other customers. I find it amusing and expect it when I go in there now, so I try to have a snappy comeback. Here are some examples from a few recent visits:

CHECKOUT GIRL (Afraid to touch a brick of .22's): Is it OK to, like, put this in a bag?
ME: Yeah, probably. They hardly ever go off by themselves.

GUY IN FRONT OF ME IN LINE: Wow! What do you have there?
ME: That's 1000 rounds of 9mm.
GUY: And how many bullets are in a "round"?
ME: I hope only one.

WOMAN IN LINE (looking at the 10 boxes of ammo I'm carrying): I can't believe they let you just carry that through the store.
ME: Well, the last time I drove up to the ammo counter they told me to leave my car outside from now on.

CHECKOUT GIRL: Are these for a handgun?
ME: Yup.
GIRL: Are you a cop?
ME: Nope.
GIRL: I thought only cops could own handguns.
ME (whispering): Don't tell anyone.

... and finally:

WHINY WOMAN IN LINE: I don't know why anybody would need so many "bullets".
ME: I'll bet there are a whole lot of things you don't know.

MatthewVanitas
May 5, 2006, 03:01 AM
Worst combination of ignorance and apathy:

CUSTOMER: (sees H&R single-shot .223 rifle on wall) Cool! Can I get 30-round clips for that?

CLERK: No.

I ended up explaining the "why" to the customer after the clerk walked away. Nice fellow, but a bit dippy. He did end up buying the rifle; apparently the notion of a single-shot was quite the novelty to him.

-MV

billcavazos
May 5, 2006, 05:59 AM
Hello Hank, So you were the one at the gun range I talked to... just kidding, you may have a point there if I were using a handgun. Turns out the ammo I was useing even though had a heavier bullet was shooting higher because of the higher velocity. I was shooting at 100 yards. The ammo that was printing much lower was 50 year old military ball ammo.

PlayboyPenguin
May 5, 2006, 06:36 AM
I thought I had heard something stupid until the gun shop owner explained it to me.

A rather seedy looking guy was in the shop filling out the background check and actually proclaimed to the saleslady that he was a "fugitive from justice".

I was amazed at why he would tell someone this but the owner told me the guy was having dental problems and had broken his glasses and needed a way to get picked up that would not really add any time to his sentence. In jail he could see a dentist, get a new set of glasses and have a warm bed for the winter.

Praxis
May 5, 2006, 09:36 AM
Couple years ago, I was shooting at a local range with my girlfriend. She was new to guns and still not quite confident in her abilities. We were sharing a lane and I was observing her shooting. Guy started setting up next to us and pulled out an FAL with a bizarre muzzlebreak on the end (thing was huge!). Starts blasting away at his target set up about 40 yards down range. The muzzleblast from the break was really intense and my girlfriend decided to step back from the line for a few minutes because she couldn't concentrate with the intense concussions. I continued shooting and suddenly noticed the RO yelling at the guy. Next ceasefire, I asked my GF if she knew what happened. Apparently, the guy was skipping rounds off the concrete floor about 25 yards out from the line.:eek:

Next he pulled out a Beretta 92 and started shooting holes in my target. :cuss: I was just about to have a few words with the guy, when the RO tells him to pack up his things. Fortunately, never saw the guy again at that range.

nelson133
May 5, 2006, 10:18 AM
I have 2. My primary carry weapon is a ported SP101 .357 with the short barrel. I was in a chain outdoor store and a couple was looking at .357 revolvers for her. When she picked up an SP101, I told her that I really liked mine and the reasons why. They asked me a couple of questions and I said that I had had mine ported to cut recovery time for second shots. The clerk then jumped in with" You should never port a self defense gun because the muzzle flash would mess up your night vision" Obviouly he had ever fired any short barrel pistol in low light conditions as they are all bright, ported or not.
I was at another outdoor chain, at the handgun counter, when a woman walked up with her daughter and asked to see thier 9mms. She then proceeded to rack and cock and dry fire several different ones at all and sundry. After a bit. I offered to take upstairs (to the range) and let her shoot a couple of my guns in hopes of instilling some safety instruction. She said that she knew all about guns but she didn't know which one to get to shoot whoever was breaking into her house. I suggested she might want to look at revovlers, as they were at the other end of the counter and it would get her away from me. I later appologized to the clerk for messing with his sale and said "that's okay, I was too busy ducking to pay much attention to her anyway.".

Paolo Sepi
May 5, 2006, 10:55 AM
My most memorable experience was, after inquiring if any 8mm Mauser was available, being offered 9mm Luger as a substitute. Evidently the gun counter guy thought that would be close enough, since they both were metric and had funny Germanic names attached.

Wow, my first High Road post.

xring44
May 5, 2006, 12:36 PM
A man showed up at a public range I used to frequent, he was shooting a 700 Remington .270, when he fired the first round, it got everyones attention, It visibly bent the bolt, locked the action, he packed up and left. About an hour later, he returned with a simular rifle, said he borrowed it from a friend, first shot was also last shot, simular results as first but also left a visual crack in the forward ring of the reciever. I later heard that his son had switched powders in the powder measure to pistol powder.......I don't know if the owner of the borrowed rifle choked him to death or he just gave up handloading!:D

SDM
May 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
EddieCoyle - I like those, some folks need to mind their own. My story isn’t funny at all but follows the stay out of my business theme.

There is one particular shop in northeast Tennessee that whenever I go there I always come away with one of these stories. I was in there and asked about a magazine for a Winchester M77 .22 rifle. Owner / Know-It-All says “I’ve never heard of that, are you sure that is right?” Giving him the benefit of the doubt (this thing isn’t quite a 10/22 in terms of popularity) I give him some details about the gun and ask if he might be able to order the magazine. He comes back rudely with something to the effect of “I can’t order parts for guns that don’t exist”. I was a little put-off by this and had decided to leave when Know-It-All’s buddy Blow-Hard pipes up and says “You probably have a Ruger, they are the only ones that make a M77”. I reply to Blow-Hard that I in fact do have a Ruger M77, it is a bolt-action rifle and that I am not talking about that. I am talking about a Winchester M77 semi-automatic .22 rifle. At this point I wanted to let them know what I thought about both of them but I didn’t. I haven’t been back.
By the way this is the same shop that the times I had previously been in there, gun prices were ALWAYS going to go up in the next couple of months for some reason. Anytime I would look at something under the glass Know-It-All would come up with something like “Congress just passed a new bill and prices are going up 20% after the first of the year, you better get that now”. I have heard this line at least 6 or 7 times from this idiot. For this reason I have never bought anything in this store and won’t, but he does have a good selection so it’s a good place to check out stuff and his prices aren’t bad so you get some idea of that. (Just so I don’t get flamed, I never ask to handle guns and take up Know-It-Alls time, I only go to look because I know I won’t buy.)

walking arsenal
May 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
I'll vouch for Phantoms story. I was the guy who bought him the gun.

I was really new to shotguns and slugs through shotguns at the time. My pal here was severly underarmed but wanted to deer hunt. So i set off to buy an economicaly priced shotgun for him. How thoughtful of me.

NEF 12ga $90

2 boxes of winchester partition gold sabots $16

I specifically asked the guy behind the counter if you can shoot sabot slugs through a smooth bore. His answer "Yes, you can". Now he is right, you can do it. They group like a four year old throwing rocks. And i'd imagine the recoil is similar to what it would feel like to be hit by a geo metro at 70mph.

You can survive it, it messes up your face and detaches your retnas but who needs those anyways.

adrianleewelch
May 6, 2006, 02:57 AM
went in to Academy to buy .223 and 7.62x39 for a range trip, picked up 10 boxes of the AK ammo, but there was no .223, asked the guy behind the gun counter where it may be hidden, he tells me that they dont sell assault rifle ammo at academy, that my .223 is an evil black gun, and that the 7.62 is only plain old .308 ammo, just shortened for hunting rifles with shorter actions, and went on and on about .223 being an assault rifle, and how academy was adamently opposed to the sale or support of these weapons. he never noticed the bushy m-4 clone behind him on the shelf. lesson here, my .223 is not a varmint gun, it is in fact an assault weapon even though it is a single shot, and my ak is a hunting rifle !!!!! Man I had it backwards..I guess I didnt really need any laquer coated steel cases anyway, Ill just go to my local FFL from now on and get brass, and keep him in business !! BOYCOTT ACADEMY (except their gun prices are pretty darn good)

panzermk2
May 6, 2006, 03:06 AM
WOW I have been using my Weatherby for deer and my AK for BG's.
silly ME:what:

Magic79
May 6, 2006, 05:00 AM
When I was at the CHP academy, we had a couple of females in the course. Both weren't too bad with a handgun.

We got to the shotgun day. One, who was pretty snippy, came around to her turn She lightly held the gun with about an inch between the recoil pad and her shoulder. I implored "Pull it in as tight as you can and lean into it."

"F$% YOU Mark" was her appreciative reply.

BOOM! When she stopped crying, she stormed off. Oh well. She was going into corrections and would never be my partner.

RustyShackelford
May 6, 2006, 05:28 AM
I could go on and on about dumb statements and/or incidents that involve ADs/weapons/"advice"/etc. Here are some good ones;

The DEA agent in Orlando FL who shoots himself with his issue Glock pistol. Then wants to show a group of kids his M-4 rifle. :banghead: See the video clip at www.ebaumsworld.com .

Gary Paul Johnson, a retired LAPD LEO and well known gun writer telling readers it's "okay" to carry a SIG P-220 .45 with the hammer cocked back with a round in the chamber. (the SIG models have no safety levers) :uhoh:

The US Army MP SGT I worked with who told our platoon about training a 2nd LT on how to shoot the M-9 9mm and watching him hold the pistol right up next to his face(even when the SGT told him to watch the recoil/slide movement) The US Army LT got his face cut up from that "training class". ;)

I heard a gun store clerk "sell" a security company rep on the 5.11 uniform pants. The clerk told him how these pants look like "SWAT" type pants and that bad guys would be "scared" to deal with anyone dressed like that! :scrutiny:

Finally, I got into a huge spat with 2 redneck jerk-offs in Pensacola FL about the Florida state laws for armed security officers. I asked the sales clerk for Corbon 125gr +P JHPs in .38spl and they told me those rounds were "illegal". Florida regulations state that armed G officers must carry only hollowpoints not FMJs or reloads or fragmented loads(like Magsafes/Glaser). Rather than learn the state laws these jokers want to fight everybody. For the details about Florida's gun laws see www.packing.org and/or www.myFlorida.com .

RS

:cool:

DevLcL
May 6, 2006, 07:11 AM
I've got 2 good ones. First one is just stupid, second is scary.

Okay so I'm at the range (this is more of a hole in the ground full of dishwashers and tire rims) and it's just me and an older fellow with a woman, probably his wife. After a while we come to an agreed cease fire to set up new targets. As we are down range a group of 6 guys (kids would be a better term) get out of a single truck and start to unload. Every one of these guys has his own SKS except one who has a PGO shotgun. When I get back to the makeshift firing line I say something like, "Cool guns, what do ya got there?" The guy with the shotgun says "This is my Winchester 12ga, this is the real deal." Meanwhile, the original man at the range just finished setting up his paper targets. Guy with shotgun loads up, waits for original guy to get behind the line, then proceeds to pepper original guys targets with birdshot. Original guy was absolutely livid about what had happened and was as red as a sports car when explaining to shotgun guy what he did wrong. Everything about shotgun guy was just a joke.

So I'm showing my buddy my new Walther P22. I show him how to work the safety, release the mag, rack the slide, and check to see if unloaded. (basic safety training) I figure my buddy is smart enough to be left alone with my pistol for about 2 seconds while I get a glass of water. I'm standing over the sink filling my glass when I hear "POP!, Whizzzzzzzz, PING!, THUD!":what: :what: :what: He had loaded a mag, slapped it in, racked the slide, released the safety, and pulled the trigger..... He told me "I don't even know what I'm doing". :confused: First: I had JUST finished explaining how to make sure the gun is safe. Second: Any idiot would know that when you put ammo in a gun and pull the trigger it might go bang. Oh yeah, the bullet hit a frying pan (just above my head) and richoced into the wall (just in front of my head).

I came real close to eating that bullet. Needless to say I always count my blessings.

-Dev

Matthew748
May 6, 2006, 07:44 AM
Lets see. There was the time I heard a sales clerk talking about how strong Ruger revolvers are. Apparently he knew someone who had a Ruger in .357. The story goes his friend got a squib but did not notice it and proceeded to fire the remaining cartridges in the cylinder chambers. When he was done the bullets were packed up one after another in the barrel. The revolver, being a Ruger, was undamaged.

Another time I overheard 2 gents talking about the inferiority of the 9mm cartridge. Apparently one of the men was related to Superman. He said that he could personally take a couple of 9mms to the chest without ill effect. No mention of body armor or vests was made.

XavierBreath
May 6, 2006, 07:56 AM
I saw a guy come in with a beat up Model 10 that he believed was removed from Bonnie & Cylde's car after their ambush near Gibsland. A lot of "Bonnie & Clyde" memorabilia floats around North Louisiana, but they did not have Model 10s or Beatles albums. :scrutiny:

wheelgunslinger
May 6, 2006, 08:23 AM
I was in a pawn shop looking at revolvers in the lower glass case and there was a guy looking at pistols and rifles and what not to my right. He was That Guy™. You know, not the poster here, but that guy who knows everything technical about guns and goes to the gun store to yap yap yap about how much he knows to the poor guy behind the counter who can't just run away or blow his own brains out on the spot. Well, That guy™ was blathering on about some friend who had x type of pistol (like that guy has friends :rolleyes: ). Then he started blathering about body armor and rifles and shotguns and blah, blah, blah... we all know a guy like this in the gun store. Captain Know it All is a good term.
So, I heard something ridiculous come out of his mouth and looked up to see if he wasn't smiling because he was just trying to get attention, and saw the muzzle of the pistol pointed right at me. I mean, I was staring right down the barrel about 2 meters away, since I was squatting to peek at the revolvers in the lower shelf.
I conciously widened my eyes, looked at the guy behind the counter who returned my glance with a sheepish "whaddayawantmetodoaboutit" look.
So, I left.
What a moron.

xring44
May 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
I just thought of another I have to pass along, a fairly well educated friend of mine and a hunter was looking at a winchester model 70 .30-06 I had just picked up at a gunshow, his remark, "I don't like that caliber, when you shoot it, the bullet never quits riseing":D

GLOCK19XDSC
May 6, 2006, 09:19 AM
A guy came into the range I was at with two children he was going to "teach" to shoot. He had no clue about basic safety and had to be told over and over to make sure he and the kids had on eye and ear protection before entering the range. Then, someone had to go out and tell him again because the kids were on the firing line with neither. :cuss:

dfaugh
May 6, 2006, 10:04 AM
Well, my buddy and I were in the local Gander Mountain, a few weeks brfore deer season this year...We were in the shotgun section when a woman (very petite, 5' maybe 110 lbs.) comes in, and is asking about shotguns for deer hunting (we have to use shotguns here). So the "kid" (no more than 21) behind the counter comes out and starte showing her a variety of different shotguns. My buddy and I continue to browse, but stay within earshot. "Salesman" proceeds to show her a wide variety of 12 gauge guns, including O/U and vent rib semis w/ LONG barrels...She's shouldering each of these guns, and its obvious that there's no way she could comfortably shoot any of them. This goes on for a long time (and I keep hoping the "salesman" will get called away, so I can intrude)...BECAUSE, I'm standing right next to a nice 20 gauge "Youth model" pump w/ rifle sights (I've forgotten whether it was a Mossy or Remington) that PROBABLY would be a nice fit for her... He never once even came near that one! She finally left, and by the look on her face, I suspect she had pretty much given up the whole idea

carp killer
May 6, 2006, 05:25 PM
The dumbest thing ever, I mean ever was in a gunshop. The owner and FFL holder said "No one needs an Assault Rifle. They are just for killing people."

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

cavman
May 6, 2006, 05:45 PM
Didn't Charlton Heston, the President of the NRA, pretty much say the same thing?

The Hitman
May 6, 2006, 06:22 PM
A Friend Of My,Go To A Indoor Range And Gun Shop,And Her Took A .22 Beretta Bobcat And Fire,When The Owner Of The Club Take From Her The Gun,Inside Has A three .22 Live Bullets,Lucky For All Of Us,The Chamber Was Empty.

Tory
May 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
"Didn't Charlton Heston, the President of the NRA, pretty much say the same thing?"

I suspect you've confused Charlton Heston with Bill Ruger, who whored out the entire firearms industry with his assertion to Congress that "No honest man needs more than a 10-round magazine." He sold all of us out to save his Mini-14/30 from being added to the "Assault Weapon" list and to have the SKS and AK clone rifles that people were buying instead of his guns banned from further importation. :barf: :barf: :barf:

RustyShackelford
May 7, 2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not aware of Bill Ruger's comments. I do know Smith and Wesson caved into political pressure and changed the designs and magazines for some pistol models. S&W put locks on the new firarms too. Smith and Wesson did this to get police/LE contracts from the federal police agencies and other major urban area PDs that want to get weapons that have several safety features because of civil/legal reasons. I think S&W should do what Glock did and offer gunlock systems as a special feature not a standard feature. HK also offers a choice about the magazine safety features on the P-2000 pistol designs.

Firarms owners should support gun makers that use common sense and good judgement.

PS: S&W also had a former CEO who had a long criminal background, including armed robbery, assault on a sworn LEO and escaping from police. :uhoh:

Rusty S

Cromlech
May 7, 2006, 01:11 AM
EddieCoyle:
GUY IN FRONT OF ME IN LINE: Wow! What do you have there?
ME: That's 1000 rounds of 9mm.
GUY: And how many bullets are in a "round"?
ME: I hope only one.

Now that's funny!

JohnKSa
May 7, 2006, 02:01 AM
Overheard a gun-store clerk telling a patron that steel cased ammunition would ruin the extractor on his Rumanian WASR-10 (Semi-auto AK variant).

I watched the store "Handgun Expert" (his picture was posted with this label--no kidding!) "flick" a revolver cylinder closed after showing the gun to a customer.

deadin
May 7, 2006, 02:16 AM
I liked the guy that after being told that the rifle he was looking at was a "gas-operated semi-auto" wanted to know where and how often you had to refill the gas.

Dean

Sgt Stevo
May 7, 2006, 02:16 AM
I did not hear this but,
I shoot at target masters on sundays in the c-bay.

I guess some people dont like that we fire head shots, rapid fire and do what we want.

thats not the story, it just bugs me. So my buddy is up at the counter buying more ammo. Some guy in line in front of says, "Do you rent guns?' To the clerk. the clerk says yes.
The guy in line says, "I would like one for week please."

cavman
May 7, 2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, indeed. I incorrectly attributed Ruger's quote to Heston.

nplant
May 7, 2006, 02:36 PM
Sgt Stevo -

I have one that occurred at TargetMasters several years ago.

A middle-aged white guy brings in his middle-aged Filipino girlfriend and her two pre-teen sons to learn how to shoot. I'm lucky enough to be in the lane just to the right of the two boys, and Mom and Stepdad are to their left.

The dude rents two .38 special revolvers and shows the kids and the G/F how to operate them. He then gives the kids one of the guns and a couple boxes of ammo.

First, the woman takes up a gun, loaded, and stands in a perfect isosceles stance – you know the kind, arms absolutely locked straight, with the dramatic lean-back from the waist to really help you get away from the recoil? :eek: She presses off a round, and her arms rotate at the shoulders all the way to the ceiling, finger still on the trigger. She screams, and throws the gun onto the bench/counter, and runs out of the bay. White guy goes out to console her, or apologize, maybe.

Next, a few minutes later, I’m standing back from my lane, just watching the kids next to me, since I’m not confident in their abilities yet. I observe one of the kids begin a cycle of fire – six shots go off – and then the *click click*. He then drops his arms in a sort of “I give up” fashion, muzzle to the floor, and I hear *click click* again. I quickly go over to him and say, “You know, you’re violating all kinds of rules here. Keep that muzzle pointed downrange, and don’t even put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.” He kinda looks at me funny and I explain that if there had been a live round, he would have been responsible for whoever’s foot that round drilled through after it ricocheted. His eyes went wide, and he put the gun back on the counter.

Finally, after white guy sees me talk to the kid, he decides that revolvers aren’t the best way to teach people to shoot, so he trades out for an H&K or something. He comes back in and attempts to show the kids how to operate this weapon, and is having clear trouble. I start packing my stuff up, but he interrupts me with, “Hey, could you show us how to work this gun?” I give him credit for not being too manly to ask for help, but he couldn’t figure out how to release the magazine, lock the slide, release the slide, or charge the weapon. I took off as fast as I could. I really hoped that he would see that experience as a wake up call, and get some training.

sterling180
May 25, 2006, 05:36 PM
In Gentrys gun shop in Welling in January1996,when I went in with my gran.This kid was eying up a Glock17 9mm,if I recall rightly and asked the store clerk,if he could purchase one.I went in to purchase some .177 pellets for my air rifle and gun oil.

The clerk replied:"No,you must produce a firearms certificate,before you can purchase one."Then this kid says I "have got one,but not one me-I left it at home".I began to laugh at him,descreetly and the store clerk,half smiled at the kid",then the kid said,"I would like to buy an AK,an Uzi and a sawed-off shotgun".The clerk replied-whilst laughing his head off-:Why don't you come back when you are much older and have developed the essential things of a man."What do you mean",replied the kid."Oh,you are not old enough to posses a certificate for a pistol."

Naw,Naw,don't test me,Eis es no bhatty man-you are-Im a bad bhaad,man and youse is a batty man.I'll get da crew to wreck you and dis shop,you f**king mug,replied an angry kid wearing a baseball cap and lots of chains-in a parody of gansta rappers and Vanilla Ice.

On his way out the kid saw me looking at one of the shotguns and said to me:"What are you looking at,you pri*k".I replied,whilst smiling:"take that guys advice,grow up and get out,or i'll stick that magnum in that case up your arse,for real-and I don't mean in a gay way.The kid replied:"Your scitzo,mate you need you head checked out at Bexley Mental Hospital,and ran off out of the shop-with the shop keeper and myself laughing our heads off.

Unfortunately a couple months later, Dunblane occurred,so that put an end to any handgun,that I wanted to buy in the future.So annoying seeing a Colt 1911A1,Glock17,Browning 9mm,etc,etc,and nearly two years later they had completely gone.
I had even saved up some cash and had some of my National Savings cash in the Post Office,to pay for a Browning HI-Power and a S&W .38 revolver-in the future,for when I moved into my first appartment.

Just think,I could have owned them by now,if that trajedy never happend-and so could of the other posters on this forum,who live in the UK.

Also recently in a gun store,some school kids were looking a a blank-firing Glock17 replica and a Walther P88 .177 air pistol,and asked the shopkeeper,if they were real pistols-despite them being labeled as"a blank-firing replica and a air-pistol version of the Walther P88.They also said that shotguns fired explosive bullets and ignored the shopkeepers explanation of different types of shotshells,that were available-hence its name,"shotgun".

gezzer
May 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
He had put the cartridges in the magazine reversed! They were base-forward, bullet to the rear.

Must have been an H&K

scooterthegreat
May 25, 2006, 06:57 PM
Tuesday night at the range... I was at the 7 yard mark which is in front of the official firing line and can only use that station when there are no other shooters. I was just finishing up when a comando kid and his very well dressed girlfriend showed up. No big deal, I'll just gather my stuff and move back.

While I was doing that I hear the clip click and the sound of slide being racked. I turned quickly and asked him to put down the gun as I was in front of the firing line. He blew me off. So I left my stuff on the table and quickly went behind the firing line. He wanted to use the 7 yard station, but was waiting for me, and I was waiting for him to put his gun down.

So he gets a bit pissy with me and tells me to hurry up. I told him I was not going to set one foot over the firing line until he put down the gun. He said he was just showing his girlfriend how to "work it" safely, while he held it, clip in, slide racked, finger in trigger and pointed it at her twice and me once. I told him that when someone is in front of the firing line, other than casing, you do NOT handle a firearm. I also added that if he really wanted her to be safe with the handgun, or any other firearm, she should not have her finger in the trigger until she is ready to shoot and should NEVER point the firearm at anything she didn't want to shoot, and suggested that he read the range rules.

He asked me what I was going to do about it, so I walked down to the truck, got out my range officer hat, went back up and asked to see his membership... He put the gun down...

Zundfolge
May 25, 2006, 08:07 PM
Just think,I could have owned them by now,if that trajedy never happend-and so could of the other posters on this forum,who live in the UK.

If it wouldn't have been Dunblane it would have been something else ... a government that is intent on disarming it serfs will eventually find some excuse.

Templar223
May 25, 2006, 08:30 PM
Being an active instructor, I hear lots from the newbies.

Hey, they are newbies.

You learn not to even flinch or laugh when they try to insert the magazine in the mag well backwards, bullets facing the rear. It's bad for their self-esteem to laugh at them.

You don't argue when someone tells you the three high-point pistols they've got are perfectly reliable and all three together cost less than your one BerettaGlockHK pistol.

You do flinch when the line is hot at the older gentleman down the line adjusts his ear muffs with his wheelgun in his hand and finger on the trigger!

Or the little older woman who pulls her gun out of its case and proceeds to point it directly at your gut but you're two steps too far away to grab it or her. I can attest the muzzle on an SP101 looks huge when it's pointed at you by someone else.

John

CSA 357
May 25, 2006, 11:06 PM
some of the dumbest things i have heard in gun shops came from the nut behind the counter! the smart ones tryin to play dumb, and the dumb ones tryin to play smart!:cuss:

RustyShackelford
May 26, 2006, 01:11 AM
The last post reminds me of a ***hole I dealt with in 2004. I checked a .357mag GP-100 out on GunsAmerica.com. I went to the local gun dealer to talk to the person listed as the point of contact/FFL holder to buy the Ruger. When I walked into the shop the sales clerk first denied knowing anything about GunsAmerica.com or any ads listed on the website, :scrutiny: . Then the SAME guy told me who to talk to and how to set up the sale. :banghead:

I never bought anything from that place. I did consider buying a Bianchi shoulder holster but the owner was such a total $&*%-off that I just left.

Rusty

Lupinus
May 26, 2006, 02:55 AM
know the fealing.

Most of my gun shop experiences have luckily been just fine. Not always great and worth an award, but decent enough. Though there are some people that reallllly make you wonder. And some that flat out scare you.

Bullet Bob
May 26, 2006, 08:55 AM
I guess it would have to be me, convincing myself I need yet another whatever.

qajaq59
May 26, 2006, 09:34 AM
The range officers at our range were telling us about some of the idiots they have to put up with at times. One guy gets out of his car puts the magazine into his rifle and jacks it, then he points it down and pulls the trigger. Pow, a round hits the pavement, ricochets off and puts a nice chip in the wall of the building. The all rush over and ask what in the world is he doing. He apologizes and is really humble so they figure they'd be nice. They explain that you can never have a loaded gun anywhere at the range except at the firing line, plus all the other safety rules, and let him go to the line. He shoots for a while, goes back to his car and does it again, except this time he had the muzzle pointed inside his car trunk and blows a hole right though the floor. Can you believe anyone can be that stupid and still figure out how to breath?

WayneConrad
May 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
"I guess it would have to be me, convincing myself I need yet another whatever."

Or me, figuring she won't notice the credit card charge this time.

Creeping Incrementalism
May 26, 2006, 12:34 PM
Have any of you seen the video that used to be on the Buffertech website where the middle eastern looking gentleman is firing a large rifle at an indoor range and it spins out of his hand and almost knocks him down when he pulls the trigger?

That's Accurate Reloading's .557 Tyrannosaur. I read their load data, and they have loaded cartridges that produce over 10,000 ft-# of muzzle energy. So it wouldn't surprise me that it would knock someone off-balance, even if they shouldered the rifle correctly.

Freddymac
May 26, 2006, 05:16 PM
The first on was some suit who rented the Sig 226 from the range. After watching the suit fire two mags, the RO walked away. At my range, if you have not shot there before, you pay for a RO to instruct you about safety and range rules in the classroom, and then babysit you on the firing line for a little while until he or she feels comfortable. This applies to everyone, even if you produce your Navy Seal super sniper membership card. So, there this guy is, firing his third mag, when he stops to adjust his ear muffs… with the gun still in his hand, hammer cocked, finger on the trigger. After he finished that mag, I walked over to tell him that he should be more careful, and that he could have added another opening to his head. He looked me right in the eye and said “don’t worry… the safety was on”!!!:what:

The other was scary, but in retrospect is kinda funny. I sold my younger brother a Beretta Model 70 that I had. It was an older gun, but very nice, but hurt like hell to shoot, of all my guns that was the only one that I dreaded shooting. So, we are at the range, he loads the little Beretta, pulls the trigger, and it goes bang, then bang again, and again… The thing goes full auto on him and he damn near soiled himself. Turns out that he wanted to give it a through cleaning and had disassembled the entire thing. When he put it back together, he forgot this little bar that disconnects the trigger. Need less to say the RO was not impressed.:D

LeafsFan
May 27, 2006, 12:00 AM
Even with my limited experience I've had two encounters that stand out, one annoying, the other downright scary.

First was back in highschool, in English class. We were dissecting an old World War II poem, and there was a reference to "Flying Lead" or something. The resident bully/army-boy-wannabe leaned back in his chair and said the author was full of sh*t, because lead bullets were only used in muzzle-loaders. :scrutiny:
I slowly looked over at him as he went on to say that bullets in WWII were made of copper, not lead! His followers all nodded to gain his approval. I was too stunned to even respond. :rolleyes:

Second one was one of the few times I went to the shooting range with my gun-owning buddy, back in the 80s. This macho-yuppie man comes in with his pistol and sets up next to us, acting like he's a pro. He loads it, takes aim downrange and pulls the trigger.

Nothing happens.

So he turns 90 degrees to the right, swinging the barrel right towards the other shooters, primarily myself, standing only 6 feet away! :eek: We cried out and dove forward as one man like swimmers at the start of a race.

Macho-yuppie man has no idea why we're so freaked, continues waving the gun around with a puzzled expression. Finally one old sourdough runs up behind him, grabs his forearm, forces the gun to point in a safe direction and then deals with the misfire issue. One of the scariest moments of my life, seeing that gun swing towards me like that knowing it might suddenly go off...:uhoh:

Specialized
May 27, 2006, 01:56 AM
Didn't see this one, for reasons that will become apparent, but I saw the aftermath...

Gun shop with two indoor ranges, in the Chicago suburbs. Guy goes to the men's bathroom with a handgun in his holster. Sound of water, sound of toilet flushing, sound of water in the sink... 30 seconds or so of silence, then... BOOM!

Guy comes out, newly deafened, and it becomes immediately apparent that he's been practicing his quick draw in the mirror. Pretty impressive divot in the cinder-block wall, and the mirror's toast. Now there's a new, bigger mirror in the men's room...! :)

toivo
May 27, 2006, 07:13 AM
A guy is in a gun shop looking at a Henry lever-action .22 and says he doesn't want one with barrel bands because they make the gun less accurate. Kudos to the clerk for not suggesting that he just take them off. Then again, the first Henry rifles didn't even HAVE a forearm, did they?

Not a STUPID thing, but funny. A friend is having a barbecue. He lives way out in the woods, so plinking with .22 rifles is an acceptable backyard recreational activity. They run out of ammo. Wife is going to town for "supplies," it being her time of the month, so they ask her to pick some up ammo while she's there. She goes to the local "everything" store, comes up to the checkout with tampons and Midol, and asks for 5 boxes of .22lr. (They keep it behind the counter.) Female clerk looks concerned and says, "Honey, are you OK?"

Gas Operated
May 27, 2006, 07:43 AM
somehow I suspect that "It's for my husband" wouldn't have been the best possible answer.

Hokkmike
May 27, 2006, 08:09 AM
I saw this first hand. It was late in the evening on the day before the opening Monday of Pennsylvania buck season. I was at a local hardware store. It was dark outside and late but the store had extra hours to accomodate the hunters.

A gentleman from Philadelphia just purchased a large caliber bolt action rifle of some kind. He then picked out a variable scope and rings/mounts, etc. He took all of this up to the counter, handed them to the clerk, and said, "Sight it in for me will you? I need this for tomorrow morning!"

Gives you great confidence doesn't it?

scooterthegreat
May 27, 2006, 11:17 AM
it being her time of the month, so they ask her to pick some up ammo while she's there. She goes to the local "everything" store, comes up to the checkout with tampons and Midol, and asks for 5 boxes of .22lr. (They keep it behind the counter.) Female clerk looks concerned and says, "Honey, are you OK?"

I did that at Walmart once. Blew the water pump on the blazer on the way home from hunting, tore my new hunting pants, didn't get a deer... I was very unhappy. Had the boyfriend drive me to Walmart - I got a patch for my pants, 2 boxes of slugs, and a box of tampons. People were getting out of my way and one even let me go ahead of him in the checkout line. The clerk, who didn't look like he was older than 16, was ready for the canned "hi, how are you? did you find everything you needed ok? When he looked at what I had...

evan price
May 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know how dumb this was but it was annoying...

I go to my local indoor range to sight in some brand new guns I bought that week, there are only me and a couple I assume is man & wife at the far end there. The couple I notice is shooting .45 1911 type guns and a large .500 S&W revolver at the mid distance (25 ft or so) at "bad guy" targets (you know, the ethnic dude with the shotgun?)
I am firing .22lr and a 9mm Springfield XD. The .22 pops compared to thier .500 kaboom! The female is very hesitant about shooting and the guy is really laying on her, you know, degrading her rather than coaching. ("D*** It! Just point it and pull the trigger there's no point in aiming this close! Just do what I say! Don't you ever listen?")
So after about a 1/2 hour of reloading and shooting I notice the female partner is looking at me from across the range. She is obviously rubbing her hand and wincing. We are both reloading at that point so I keep an eye on them out of corner of my eye and slip the ears back a little to let the sweat dry in my ears.
THe lady asks her partner, "Why can't we try a gun like that guy(me) has? It looks easier to shoot."
The guy actually snorts... and says, "Nine Millimeters are for FAGS and PUSSYS," and I notice he is staring right at me when he says it, and then I realize they are using electric ear protection, the kind you can talk while wearing, and don't realize my ears are not on all the way & I can hear them. I look at him, roll eyes, keep reloading.
Don't say a word to them. THey start their next round.
Set my next target, start to bring gun up, "BONG!" the @-hole shoots my target holder! And they are like 6 stations to my left.
<sigh> Gave up, packed up, left.

Len
May 27, 2006, 12:44 PM
Reading all these posts makes my gut tighten up a bit!!!!:what:

I wonder about the stories that go with each bullet hole you see in the ceiling, glass, bench, steel target rails, walls...at the range! All this makes me sure that I'm doing the right thing by getting unpopular range times [usually empty] and/or shoot only with those I know well.

But I'll add one story...My first gun was [and still is] a Ruger 41 mag Blackhawk. While living in Texas, a friend who I knew all through college came over for a visit. He saw the gun bag on the dresser, prepped and ready to go to the range. He asked to see the Ruger. I stepped up to the dresser, my back to the door where he stood. Unloaded it, counted the rounds, visually inspected, left the load gate open. Turned around and handed it to him, muzzle down, butt towards him. *Nothing but safe handling, right?* Keep in mind that he had no view of me clearing the gun.

So...what do you think is the first thing he does? He closes the gate, cocks it, points it at my chest, and as I start lunging/yelling at him, he pulls the trigger!:banghead:

His lame excuses for doing this unbelievable thing weren't even finished before I got the Ruger back, placed it on the dresser, turned and punched him in the nose as hard as I've ever hit anyone! Friendship ended that day...but last I heard, he's still alive...

It's been over 25 years...and I still get that hot/flash/fear rush when I think about it.

LeafsFan
May 27, 2006, 06:45 PM
He closes the gate, cocks it, points it at my chest, and as I start lunging/yelling at him, he pulls the trigger

Jeepers!:what:

Sometimes I wonder if people who aren't used to handling guns act in such a reckless way because they think that's how you're supposed to act when you pick one up? Sort of like increasing their bravado to make up for lack of knowledge? Damn.

TrafficMan
May 27, 2006, 07:00 PM
A few months ago at the outdoor range I go to I saw a guy walk downrange on a hot line to replace his targets...I vowed to never go to this particular range again on the weekends, too many weekend warriors.

Around the same time, I was at a local shop looking at a PPK when I noticed a new Bersa Thunder in the same case. I said something to the clerk about it...something to the effect of "i've heard a lot of good things about those Bersa's, and the price is right" -- he started to tell me they were junk, and made out of pot metal and to stay away from them.

Tory
May 27, 2006, 08:19 PM
My father-in-law has a Bersa in .380. Nary a complaint. ;)

stevekl
May 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
I was at an outdoor public range in the mountains of Virginia, pretty close to the actual border with West Virginia. And, well, sorry if this offends anyone who lives on a mountian, but there was some typical (almost stereotypical) white Appalachian mountain trash there. This guy was a classic. He was shooting a cardboard cutout of a deer at 25 yards (?) and had his wife and kid with him, both of whom weren't actually shooting. My dad and I were the only other people there, so he must have thought that things like 'range etiquette', 'safety' and 'common sense' didn't apply. More than once, he simply walks out on the range WHILE THE RANGE IS HOT, WHILE I AM SHOOTING. It must have been the scariest moment of my life. I am shooting a Swedish Mauser and then out of the corner of my eye, this guy is walking up torwards the targets! I put the rifle down but he did it atleast two more times. We just left, not because I was afraid of shooting him, but because I was afraid that he'd also be stupid enough to shoot at us while we changed targets.

While we were shooting at another public range, this guy to the right of us has a beretta which misfires (hammer drops, nothing happens) so, of course, without removing his finger from the trigger, he turns the pistol sideways and points the barrel at us and other people and THEN racks the slide. What a brilliant maneuver.

Moonchigger
May 27, 2006, 11:02 PM
At the gun store yesterday and one guy behind the counter asks the other guy behind the counter what he would do if when he was teaching a ccw class and a student asked "if my girl and I are walking down the street and on the other side of the street is a group of colored kids and everytime we stop they stop, can I shoot them?" The guy was aparently dead serious. After flunking this idiot, the guy states he's a member of the klan and they were going to pay a visit to this instructor.

LoneCoon
May 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
SteveKL:

I know exactly the range you're talking about. Wytheville, right? It's very nice to go to on a weekday during the afternoon because there's no one there.

And I've seen the bullet holes everywhere, in the signs, the trash cans, the restroom. With no supervision there, it's no wonder a lot of idiots show up there.

the pistolero
May 28, 2006, 12:37 AM
You do flinch when the line is hot at the older gentleman down the line adjusts his ear muffs with his wheelgun in his hand and finger on the trigger!

A couple of months ago, I was at the range one Saturday afternoon after work. This older guy next to me was shooting a 1911. This one time, he took a couple of shots, and raised up the gun and swung it around towards me -- a round in the chamber, mind you, with his finger on the trigger and the safety off. I ducked, and said, as calmly as I could, "dude, fingeroffthetrigger! Fingeroffthetrigger!" Fortunately, he figured out what he was doing wrong before he popped me, but that was the most hair-raising experience I've ever had at the range.

goColt
May 28, 2006, 12:57 AM
Indoor Range Experience:
'Bout seven years ago when we used to live in Cincinnati my wife and I went to a nice indoor public range that we frequented quite a bit. We were at the counter buying some range ammo when this "kid" walks in and asks one of the guys behind the counter if he could rent, "... the biggest gun you got." I thought to myself, "Here we go . . . I'd better keep and eye on this guy."

So we went in and set up our stuff, still watching this kid. He sets up a few bays down from us and proceeds to start shooting what I believe to have been a .44 Magnum. BOOM!!!!! The first round goes off and he stumbles backwards a little bit, regains his footing and continues five more times. Then "click", "click" "click" and . . . you guessed it . . . looks down the barrel to check if there are any more rounds in it. Needless to say we packed up our stuff and left. The next time we came back I asked one of the guys there about the kid and he said that shortly after we left they took the gun away, gave him his money back, and told him he couldn't shoot there again until he got some training.

Outdoor Range Experience:
A few months ago, a couple buddies and I went to a range to shoot center fire rifle. There were two guys already there with all their crap spread all over the place so that we had to ask them to make room for us. My one buddy got out his AR and proceeded to shoot. One of the two guys also had an AR and comes up to my buddy and asks, "How do you de-cock this thing?" <Sigh>. I had a flash-back to the above experience and again thought to myself, “Here we go . . . better watch this guy." A few minutes later I got my Garand out and about 10 loaded 8-rnd clips and proceed to send some 30-O6 down range. Same guy comes over and says to me that he also has a Garand and wanted to know what the little metal things were that were coming out of mine after I shot. After I explained what a clip was he said, "I was wondering how to load mine." <Sigh>. I mean . . . come on!!!! Even if you got your gun training from "Saving Private Ryan" or some other WWII movie, you should know about the Garand and clips!!!!

I don't understand how you can go to a range with a firearm you know nothing about. I was gonna offer to sell a few of clips for $10 a piece :evil: but my conscience got the better of me.

Lupinus
May 28, 2006, 01:48 AM
colt in his defence I dunno how to work a garand either lol.

Then agian I've never even held one let alone own one heh

sacp81170a
May 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Acting as SO for CCW classes, ya gotta watch people like a hawk... One lady came to class with a Ruger Mark II with a red dot sight.:rolleyes: Head instructor explained to her that this was a "concealed" carry class and told her some reasons why a semi-auto rimfire might not be the best choice for personal defense. He felt sorry for her, though, and allowed her to shoot with the rest of the class for qualification. During a pause in the range session, I stopped observing to give someone some help with their grip and stance when, suddenly, "BANG!" a .22 went into the ground about 3 inches from the instructor's foot. It was partly my fault for doing *anything* other than being a Safety Observer, but after all the safety briefings and lecture about finger off the trigger, checking chamber, etc., she had pointed the pistol at the ground and pulled the trigger to make sure it was unloaded!

We withheld the range paperwork for her CCW until she came back and completed a basic handgun class at no charge. No more .22's in class that don't lock the slide on the last round! It's also a problem with Kel-Tec's and others that have no slide catch. SO's have to be on their toes at all times lest the instructors lose theirs!

Tory
May 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
One lady came to class with a Ruger Mark II with a red dot sight. .... No more .22's in class that don't lock the slide on the last round!

Ruger Mk IIs DO lock the slide on empty - I have one.

This woman is just more stupid than you thought. :uhoh:

Molon Labe
May 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
Dumbest thing you heard/saw in a Gun Store or at the range.One member of our militia group thought he was "too cool" to use ear protection. When I offered him ear plugs, he just smirked. :rolleyes:

What an idiot.

Bruce333
May 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
One member of our militia group thought he was "too cool" to use ear protection. When I offered him ear plugs, he just smirked.He probably couldn't hear you...

I guess I've been lucky not to see anything really dangerous. However during my CCW class at the range, there was one guy that just couldn't understand what "low ready" meant. He kept dropping his gun down to his side. After the instructor yelled at him "Finger off the trigger!", he did finally get that message. He was also making several of us nervous when reholstering, grabbing his revolver around the cylinder to put it in, very fumble fingered (nervous maybe?).

sacp81170a
May 28, 2006, 01:06 PM
Ruger Mk IIs DO lock the slide on empty - I have one.

Tory: It may have been that it needed cleaning or a faulty mag or whatever. Now having a slide not locked back on *any* pistol is something I'm much more careful to watch for during classes. Some, like Kel-Tec's, have to be manually checked. I screwed up as an SO, fortunately, no harm done. Something like this doesn't have to happen more than once to shake you out of your complacency. It's an SO's job *never* to relax.

American By Blood
May 28, 2006, 04:38 PM
A few months back I was at a great outdoor range with my family and girlfriend. We had two lanes taken up with our pistols and rifles and were occupying one of the skeet-throwing rigs as well. There were enough of us shooting that none of our spots were ever idle and because it's a big facility there were plenty of open lanes (so don't get all huffy about us hogging the place). We'd put a few hours in and were in the process of packing up when a brand-new tricked out pick-up pulled into the parking lot and four white guys got out. Three were younger types in baggy jeans and matching t-shirts for some contracting firm. They all had spikey hair and expensive sunglasses. The fourth had a few years on all of them, was wearing a polo shirt with the same company logo on it, and looked to be the sort of ***hat who thinks that associating with younger males makes him "cool." We assumed he was the crew's boss.

Anyway, we had just begun packing up and they seemed to be impressed with the assortment of weapons we'd brought to the range that day. The younger guys asked us questions about our guns but we really couldn't answer any of them becuase of how far out of left field they came. We're all very familiar with our arms but the questions we were being asked made no sense and didn't really relate to anything based in reality. It was as if everything they knew about firearms came from playing a single round of "Counterstrike."

As we were loading supplies into our truck they took up residence at the skeet-thrower we had just vacated and proceeded to break into a fresh box of clays. But they were shooting at them with pistols (Tauruses appeared to be de rigueur among the pack). One handed. Rapid fire. The whole time they were in flight. And even after they landed. There was nary a shotgun among them yet they came to the range with a box of pigeons to blast away at. This went on for a couple of minutes before we were ready to leave and as we were pulling out of our parking space we saw one of the gents throw a Slurpee cup onto the ground just a few feet in front of them and and empty a mag in its general direction.

The range officers there are usually an alert bunch and I assume that those folks left very shortly after we did.

V4Vendetta
May 29, 2006, 10:41 AM
"After I explained what a clip was he said, "I was wondering how to load mine." <Sigh>. I mean . . . come on!!!! Even if you got your gun training from "Saving Private Ryan" or some other WWII movie, you should know about the Garand and clips!!!! "

I'm going to admit that I have neither seen "Saving Private Ryan" or held a Garand outside of "Medal of Honor:Frontline" so clips would be a mystery to me as well. I have no idea what the purpose of stripper clips is. Why not just stick with magazines?:confused:

Quaamik
May 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
The Garand doesn't use magazines. It uses a sheet metal "clip" that holds 8 rounds. The clip doesn't completely surround the rounds, but only holds the back 1/3 or so. It is completely insterted into the reciever of the rifle. The bolt pushes one round at a time out of the clip into the chamber. When the rifle ejects the last casing (or, I believe, live round if you manually rack it out of the chamber), it also ejects the "clip".

Stripper clips are completly different. They are used to quickly load some bolt action rifles, a couple of semi auto rifles and one semi auto pistol when the magazine is already in the firearm.

JohnKSa
May 29, 2006, 06:33 PM
One advantage to the Garand method is that there is no need to remove an empty magazine. The empty clip is automatically ejected, the bolt locks back, and a full clip can be immediately inserted. When the clip is inserted, the bolt automatically drops.

It's a very fast reload. I don't think anyone's come up with anything faster to date.

Templar223
May 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
Quote: It's also a problem with Kel-Tec's and others that have no slide catch. SO's have to be on their toes at all times lest the instructors lose theirs!

It doesn't matter if it's got a slide lock or not!

In our classes, we have a fun low-light scenario on the indoor ranges to let the students put everything they've learned together in one shooting drill.

Two shooters. One instructor immediately behind each shooter with a light - independent of the one used in the scenario and to be used to ensure safe gun handling if at all necessary.

Add in an RO and a roving instructor or two to watch (and help with problematic students).

I was on one side this one class when a student fired his six shots and was casing up after pulling the magazine while I was distracted for a moment. I didn't see the chamber empty and the gun's action was closed which made me a little suspicious, so I asked him again to show clear. It was as though he didn't hear me or was ignoring me (probably didn't hear me), so I asked again a little more assertively for him to show clear. He seemed a little miffed...

He pulled the slide back and out falls a round. Apparently he loaded too many AND failed to remove the mag before cycling the slide (or simply failing to rack it), but the bottom line was that he was fixing to leave the line with a loaded gun.

"Oh my!" I thought. While I strive to maintain 100% concentration on my shooter, it's impossible with everything going on to maintain that single-issue focus of watching the shooter's hands and gun ALL of the time. That incident just demonstrated the paramount importance of making sure things are done safely, even if it inconveniences the shooter. I gave myself a pat on the shoulder for not letting that one slip by.

John

hksw
May 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
Tory: It may have been that it needed cleaning or a faulty mag or whatever.

It sounds to me like the Mark II and its magazine were functioning properly. The slide will not lock back if there are any rounds in the magazine to strip.

Missashot
May 30, 2006, 11:14 AM
Kramer Krazy and I were out going to various gun and pawn shops. We happened to stop by a pawn shop not far from our house. While in there, there was an older gentleman whose home had gotten broken into. So he was in the process of buying a shotgun and had looked over a few. Then the conversation between him and the counterguy turned to sawed-off shotguns.
Older guy: I need this to be shorter.
Counterguy: You just take a hack saw and cut it to ANY length you want.
:eek:

AJAX22
May 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
The ruger Mk I does not hold open on the last round, only the mkII and later do. maby she had an old one.

Tory
May 30, 2006, 06:34 PM
From the post in question:

Quote:

One lady came to class with a Ruger Mark II with a red dot sight. .... No more .22's in class that don't lock the slide on the last round!

I think it safe to say that an RO would know what the student had.

BigFatKen
May 30, 2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah, this guy has some really old military ammo and fires. Rifle goes click then bang. Third time it goess click, there is no bang so he, of course is about to look down the barrel to see if the bullet came out. Out of the corner of his eye he sees me shouting and yelling so he stops. I say wait for a minute with "gun" downrange. Sure enough, it goes off in a while.

He really did not expect that so the recoil catches him and hurts a finger. Lucky that is all.

creampuff
May 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
Probably not the dumbest, but still dumb:

10 years ago, I was in the indoor range, and two guys were sharing a bay next to me. One must have made 2 recent purchases, and the other one was a brand new shooter. The one who owned, had a Beretta 92FS and a Taurus look alike.

Owner: "Yeah, this Beretta is the Rolls Royce of guns."
New Guy: "Oh man, I've got to get one them".
Owner: "Yeah, this Taurus, its almost as good as the Beretta. It's like the BMW of guns".
New Guy: "Wow".

jad0110
May 30, 2006, 10:17 PM
sacp81170a:

Your experience sounds eerily similar to one I had 2 weeks ago. It was the first AD I have witnessed.

Basically, an older lady (perhaps late 50s, early 60s) was taking the CCW class along with 30 other students, including myself. She was also shooting .22LR, appeared to be a Ruger Mk type, not sure if I, II, or III series. Anyway, while lining up to shoot, I noticed the instructor mouth to one of the SOs "Watch her":uhoh: . I looked him in the eye and gave a nod, ackowledging I'd keep my eyes open too.

I kept my eye on her for a while, but since she seemed to be doing fine, I let my gaurd down ever so briefly. Mistake. Then I got a horrible, sick feeling down in the pit of my gut. I looked to my left to see, with horror, her loosely holding the .22 in her left hand (she was a lefty) with the muzzle pointing at the ground directly in front of her. Her finger was INSIDE the trigger gaurd :scrutiny: , when suddenly she lost her grip:eek: . Instinctively, she grabbed at the gun (and the trigger) and POP!!!!! ... it happened. I immediately looked down at my feet for holes ... whew ... everything was as it should be. Then I heard her say, "Ugh, I shot myself in the foot!" I looked at her left foot and saw a little hole in her right shoe, just behind and to the right of her big toe, a small red dot growing from the center. The whole event took just second or two.

Turns out the round did not pass through her foot, so it was removed at the hospital. As I suspected, I later learned that her embarrassment :o was far worse than any physical pain she suffered. It goes without saying that she did not pass. So, everyone learned (or relearned) some very valuable lessons that day, so hopefully an even worse tragedy will be prevented in the future.

Happy and Safe shooting to all.

MadMercS55
May 31, 2006, 12:39 AM
Was out picking up 2 cases of .308 ammo earlier today at my local shop and 2 guys were in there pitching a fit about being declined for a Hipoint 45 and a Ruger P90. Both guys got declined, and one starts yelling at the clerk how he needs the gun because he didn't show up for court today and "They gonna issue a warrant 'fo me in like an hour" From what I gathered they were going to hit the road after buying some pistols. Another clerk called the police, I didn't stay to see the outcome.

progunner1957
May 31, 2006, 12:59 AM
I was working as range officer when some gentlemen of the Asian persuasion with army experience (so they said, although they didn't specify WHICH army!) came in with a very expensive, high-grade Olympic-style .22 rifle wearing a very large 'scope. Unhappy that their groups at 50 yards didn't coincide with the crosshairs, they proceeded to wedge the barrel against the legs of the shooting bench as they tried to bend it to make it shoot right..
ROFLM Freaking AO!! Hank, that is the best one ever!! :D :D :D :D

Puerto Morelos
May 31, 2006, 09:19 AM
I was looking at a number of memos posted on websites and a surprising majority of them seem to concern a very close attachment to foreign made products seemingly out of stamped metal, pot metal castings, and plastic.

What's more, the people posting those messages seem to think that buying stamped, pot metal, or plastic accessories for their stuff will improve it!

Last I looked, no federal statute barred possession or trade in scrap unless it was radioactive. Maybe these guys are onto something!

PM

kserg
April 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
Not sure if this was posted before... It's not me but i like the story:

A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before
work. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up,
and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol.
The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a
9mm GLOCK 17, the clerk with a 50 DESERT EAGLE, assisted by several
customers who also drew their guns, several of whom also drew and fired.
The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene
investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop.The
subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds.
Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons. No one else was
hurt in the exchange of fire.

Happyshooter
April 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
Kserg, in real life the counter guy was a retired Marine with a 10mm, and an IPSC shooter.

The cop, his friend, had his gun jam and fell down. The counter guy plowed his hits center mass and put the bad guy down.

6_gunner
April 17, 2007, 09:47 PM
I've got a couple:

One of my friends back in high school insisted that there was no such thing as a bolt-action shotgun. When I told him that I had one, he said it must be some kind of custom job. This guy was a hunter, too! :confused:

Another time, a prof told a story about how he let a friend borrow a revolver to shoot stray cats (which is pretty funny in itself :evil: ). Well, the guy's wife gets to looking at the gun while he's away and proceeds to seriously damage it by trying to force the cartridges in from the front of the cylinder :what:

Beerwolf
April 17, 2007, 10:01 PM
I'll never forget this as long as I live. Sports authority, rockville md when they sold guns. I'm standing there waiting my turn, the fellow in front of me is looking over a remington 1100 or 11-87 autoloader. The guy behind the counter seems to know his stuff and explaines to the fellow that it is gas operated. The fellow stares at the gun for a bit turning it around, looking closely and asks "where do you put the gas in it" Swear to god!

Lupinus
April 17, 2007, 10:36 PM
actually considering how popular paintball is that honestly wouldnt surprise me. Scare me maybe, but not surprise me

Avenger
April 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
Got a couple. First: young guy walked into the shop, and wanted to exchange the Hi-Point he'd bought last month, it had started jamming on every round. The clerk took one look at the pistol, and asked why he hadn't cleaned it. The guy said he was told it didn't need cleaning, just oiling, so he'd been taking it all apart and spraying it with PAM cooking spray for a month.
At the range last month, the guy a few lanes down was trying to put .38 Special rounds into the magazine of his .380....Guess he thought they should go in at about a 60 degree angle....
At the range today, a gentleman was trying out a 12ga Mossie, one of the shorter barrel models. He fired his first round of small buck, and scored a dead center hit.....on the right side target holder strap. Blows it clean in half, pieces of old rubber tire EVERYWHERE, the paper target doesn't have a hole to be seen. Lots of laughter from everybody, he gets a sheepish grin, says something about having to correct his aim, and THIS round is going right in the x-ring. Big old BOOOOM......and the left side hanger strap suffers the same fate as its brother.
Supposedly the range had kicked somebody out earlier in the week after the RO spotted him trying to fire .45 in a .40.....apparently he attracted attention by hammering on the butt end of the slide!

Wes Janson
April 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
A few weeks ago, another employee asked me to pull out a Crimson Trace-equipped Glock from the display case to show a customer. I obliged (after checking it, of course), handing it over to the customer, who promptly extended his arm out, triggering the laser, and pointing it directly at the center of my chest, from a distance of about three to four feet. He then proceeded to turn the Glock on its side, gangsta style, and wave the dot around my chest, before I managed to turn and walk away. Later I found out the customer was a LEO. Nothing surprises me anymore, but it does still manage to make me feel sad for the state of current affairs if that's what academy training is producing.

never_retreat
April 18, 2007, 12:41 AM
You can only shoot our ammo here.:banghead:
Goodbye:)

obxned
April 18, 2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks to all of you for taking my mind off the mess at VT.

I don't have an interesting story to add, even after more than 1/2 a century around guns. Damn, I sure am lucky!!!!

Ok - I have one good story: Years ago, I had a job running instruments down drill holes for a uranium exploration company. I had to be in the field all day while the rigs were drilling, but only actually worked about 2 hours a day. The rest of the time I shot prairie dogs. I used nearly every gun I owned on them. With hours of practice, I could hit them out to nearly 200 yards with my .45 Gold Cup.

Usually this entailed taking my best guess as to hold-over and wind, firing a shot, and then walking them in. There is a reason prairie dogs have developed no rocket science. About 1/2 the time the soon-to-be-no-more dog would just stand there and look at the puffs of dust. A good day was 2-3 hits out of 5 magazines.

One day one of the drillers was out with me and we were talking guns. I mentioned how much fun I had shooting the .45. He bet me a beer that I couldn't hit a prairie dog at even 100 yards with it. Well the worst that could happen is I would have a bad day, hit nothing, and buy a beer for a guy who I was going to buy a beer anyway, so the bet was on.

Shortly we found a colony about 175 yards off. As it had just rained and the ground was muddy, I figured to fire standing instead of my usual sitting position, and at least show him how close I could come.

I drew the pistol, took a guess at the range and hold-over, and squeezed the trigger. The dog disintegrated. I unloaded and holstered the pistol, and without cracking a smile, said 'I'll take that beer now'.

Back in town I enjoyed more free beer than any sensible person would want, while my friend told everyone in the place about the miraculous 250 yard one-shot kill on a prairie dog with a .45 pistol that he had witnessed.

I never did tell him it wasn't the same one I was aiming at.

Poper
April 18, 2007, 01:23 AM
Handloader friend tells of the fellow at the table next to him that complained about the poor accuracy of his reloads and how hard it was to open the bolt after each round.
He asked him caliber and powder.
"30-06, IMR4350."
How many grains is his charge?
"Grains? What's grains? I just dip 'em full!"

Friend packed up and left.

kserg
April 18, 2007, 08:43 PM
Happyshooter: Ya, i had a feeling that story was dressed up, still pretty dumb to try to rob a gun store with a cop there...

:)

akolleth
April 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
My father in law once shot himself in the forehead with a richochet from a .357. :what: :what:

He was drilling holes in his hardened concrete wall in his basement with a standard drillbit with very limited success. So.... he decides to just pull out the .357 and shoot the wall (at an angle of course) to make the holes. Supposidly works great for I think he said around ten holes.

Last shot, he can't quite get the right angle, and is forced to go a little more straight on. He gets a ricochet and it whacks him in the forehead. The slug penetrated and got imbedded in the skin, but did not go through the bone (Obviously since he is still alive). Had to listen to my mother in law describe the elastic nature of the skin stretching as they pulled the slug out of his forehead and how much blood gushed when it finally popped free. It left a nice little scar on his forehead too.

CannonFodder
April 18, 2007, 10:13 PM
The other week, I watched the owner of my range and a pair of Philly cops chortle and drop N-bombs.

I found that to be pretty stupid.

Gnarkill
April 23, 2007, 06:42 AM
Alright I've got a couple of stories, some funny some not.

-I knew this kid in high school who lived in a semi-rural development. Apparentlly some idiot had been shooting .357 magnum in his backyard or something w/ no real backstop and the bullet bounced off the ground. What was left of the bullet hit this guy (about 8 at the time) in the back. Luckily most of the bullet had come off and it lost most of it's velocity. This still earned him his nickname of "bullet."
-I'm fairly young (22, but i look about 4-6 years younger when I've shaved.) I was at Cabelas when I was 19 looking at some guns because I was thinking about getting a rifle. I'm 6'2" and I was sighting the gun at one of the wood panels or dead elks on the wall about 15' above me and 40-50' away. The guy behind the counter gets really pissed off and tells me to not aim a gun at a person which I DID NOT! do. This is one of the many times the "old-timers" at Cabelas have given me a hard time. I've pretty sure unless shaq had darted 3" away from my face I wasn't aiming at anyone.
I have since cancelled my credit card there.
-In my college dorm a korean girl I knew told me a story about her dad buying a handgun in the '70s because it was "cool to protect your family" He evidently never bought ammo for it and recently (in the '90s) went to the gun store and bought got knows what rifle ammo for it. This thing was no handcannon and the rifle ammo was basically as long as the barrel. Kinda funny, kinda not.
-I was shooting at the big indoor handgun range in Toledo when some gangster wanna-bee(s) came in with pants around their ankles, chains, and the whole nine yards. I was just paying for a lane when they did the same. They rented a glock 9mm (big surprise) with a laser sight (again big surprise.) I was a lane or two to the left of these 3 guys and I watched them shoot. I couldn't tell if they were shooting with the guns horiz. or not, but they could barely hit the paper. I kinda laughed to myself and continued plinking away w/ my 1911. About a minute or 2 later I heard a weird noise a slinking sound. The idiots had shot the wire for the target, which was now laying downrange. They thought this was hilarious and proceeded to laugh like the idiots they were. Luckily they didn't wave their guns around or anything, but I definitely kept a close watch and a loaded mag.
-At the same indoor range on a different day I spotted another young guy with a desert eagle. I seemed to feel this aura of him not knowing what he was doing, so I stayed on my toes. I had not been indoors w/ someone shooting a large magnum before, but the blast from one booth over suprised the hell outa me. I could feel a crazy amount of pressure with a bit of heat. I looked down and picked up some hot brass to read .44 magnum. It gets better. After moving back to avoid constant rushes of strong gases I watched him shoot to see if he was as big of a poser as he looked. I watched him shoot 7 or 8 shots and get 3 of them on a standard 50 foot pistol target. Now I'm talking on the paper, just barely, one was 1" above the black and the other two hit the edges. I just tried to hide my laughter, had he been unable to hear me I would've manically laughed at his stupidity and lack of shooting skills. I just hope he watched enough movies and got a big enough gun to make him feel good about himself.
I really wanted to recommend he buy a S&W .500 magnum, a penis pump, and a porche. What a joke.

This one is more a pickle:
-I was teaching someone how to shoot. Before I do this, using snap-caps, I give them a safety demo and make them go through all the motions and safety drills before we even leave for the range. She picks it up and (cautiously) goes through the motions of loading, unloading, clearing, safeties... etc. The problem came later. While on range, while I was closely watching her, she emptied the gun. No problem yet. Then, in one motion she pointed the gun about 60 degrees left and 60 degrees up of "down-range" while sliding in a fresh mag. During the reload she slipped her finger inside the trigger guard. I managed to stop her before she got the mag all the way in, but I really didn't like the thought of a .45 going through the roof or into the concrete wall. I again explained to her that she must keep her finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. She immediately learned and fixed her problem.

My question is this, if you see someone doing something bad or REALLY bad, what do you do? I mean you can always try to get their attention, but I just don't think I'm comfortable pushing their hands down or grabbing them or whatever. I mean if someone had pointed a gun at me, loaded or not I would flip the f*#k out and probably hit them. If it was on range I would probably dive out of the way since I'm a safety nut. Seriously though, how do you fix a bad situation on a gun range without shooting the idiot? I would like some input to keep the world safe from morons.

Cliff47
April 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
Used to frequent a 7-11 in the morning for coffee for the commute to the office. This place had a run of attempted robberies that went as follows:
1) The perpetrator comes in the front door, walks up to the counter and pulls his weapon of choice. Did not notice the city patrol car parked around the corner of the building, nor the officer in the back getting his coffee. Officer comes up behind the perp, places the muzzle of his Beretta behind perp's right ear, and then cocks the pistol.
2) Same store, perp pulls up, leaves his car idling as he goes in to conduct his business. City patrol unit pulls up behind the idling car, sees what is going on inside, and waits for the perp to leave, with shotgun at the ready.
In addition to being arrested, got a ticket for leaving a car idling unattended.
3) Same store, this perp gets out of the store and into his car (must have learned from the previous perp), and backs into a city patrol car pulling into the parking lot.

The convenience store has been closed.

texgunner
April 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
Last year about this time I was at an outdoor range west of Houston when I saw a guy bring his new girlfriend to shoot. They showed up at the ceasefire and she said that she had never shot a gun of any type before. Well, the range is called hot and the boyfriend walks up to the bench and out of his range bag comes a Glock .45 and a S&W .460 Magnum. :what: Some beginners guns. It didn't work out.

Tex

kellyj00
April 23, 2007, 10:55 AM
It took me 90 minutes to read this entire thread. I'm still laughing!

I've only been into this for about 6 years or so, never had a single problem at the range. *knock on wood*

Nil
April 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
The gun guy at Dunham's told me that the SKS holds 7 rounds. I looked at him strangely for a moment then decided against saying anything and just purchased it since it was a good price.

MudPuppy
April 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
The dumbest thing I heard from a range owner was in reply to my comment on my eyesight fading a bit as I'm getting older. "It's all that damn jew food they sell at the grocery store."

Uhm, like the bacon I just had for breakfast???

And Charleston Heston most certainly did say that people didn't need AK-47s on a morning radio show. Major NRA damage control after that stupid comment. I'll dig up a link.

boomer1911a1
April 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
I have three stories:

The annoying one:

Several years ago, I was in the market for a .45 ACP, and I told the guy behind the counter of an unnamed Carrollton, TX, pawnshop that I was looking for "a forty-five automatic." In a voice better suited for teaching 5-year-olds the letters of the alphabet, I was "informed" that the precise term for the weapon I sought was semi-automatic. I rolled my eyes and left without another word. Okay, okay, technically he was correct, but I'm not going to be schooled by a 10th-grade dropout wearing a greasy T-shirt and a Skoal cap.

My Dumb:

Two days after I turned 21, I took my very first pistol purchase out into the country, set up a target off the road, and touched off the very first round out of my brand-new Ruger Mk. II. Whatever my target was, I remember hitting it perfectly. I was grinning with pleasure as I lowered the gun to my side and promptly sent the second bullet in the magazine into the asphalt an inch to the right of my foot (peppering my sneaker with chips.) Yep, finger still on the trigger. I knew the rules. In the flush of excitment, I forgot them. Good object lesson, though, especially with the conspicuous lack of injury.

My Dumber:

Indoor range maybe a decade ago. The guy beside me and I got into a pleasant conversation about our guns, and I offered to let him try my Ruger P-90. I had already boxed the thing, preparing to leave, but I brought it back out and handed it to him. "It's empty," I announced smugly. He handled it for a few seconds, then -- with my encouragement -- decided to try the trigger. To his credit, he kept the thing pointed downrange the whole time, and better still, racked the slide to make sure it was clear.
I swear I don't know how that round got in there, but when it popped out of the chamber onto the bench, I nearly vomited. I couldn't apologize enough.

These days, I take nothing for granted. It's Cooper's Four Rules all the way, with no exceptions.

Afy
April 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
Growing up I used to have a Brno Model 2 with a very very light trigger.

One day we were out plinking and I had a round in the chamber, and was tapping my heel with the muzzle. It went off and I still have the scar 30 years on... taught me safety or so I thought very quickly.

I have had dumb moments, but thankfully not for a long period of time now.

Dumbest one I know... A childhood friend of mine came from what can only be classified as a very wealthy family.

We must've been about 16 or 17 at the time, and had gone after some deer. He had one of his Dad's beautiful Purdy shot guns. We chanced upon a deer and he let go... complete destroying the final 1/3 rd of the right barrell.
You guessed it... a slug through a choke barrell.

Big Calhoun
April 23, 2007, 04:03 PM
Not so much dumb, but funny.

Took the wife to a gunstore for the first time. Was before I got her to settle down and quit with calling them, "those evil things." So in we went and I'm trying to give her a mini-lesson on calibers vs chamberings, semiautos vs revolvers, etc...simple, basic stuff. IIRC, we had made our way to the used gun cases and a small revolver caught her eye. Quicker than I could say anything, she remarks, "Ohhhh, this one is cute!" :what:

I smacked my forehead with my hand. An older gent who was talking to a salesperson turns around and jokes, "CUTE! CUTE! Guns aren't supposed to be cuuuute!!!" We all had a good laugh at that one and it definately helped to make my wife feel more comfortable in the store.

Everyonce in a while, she'll duck in with me if I'm picking up supplies or ammo and I always preface, "They can look nice...but you will not call them 'Cute'" Was a good time, and a good laugh! I have to thank that guy next time I see him at the store because he probably didn't realize how positive that was for her overall experience.

CCMO
April 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
Last January, my spouse and I were at a gun show. I was walking the aisles, when I look across one of the vendors areas. You know the type, a hollow rectangle inside a perimeter of folding tables. There at the opposite table (maybe twenty feet away) stood a freaking uniformed police officer, looking at the sight picture of the handgun he was pointing directly at my face!

Lonestar
April 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
I got to vent. The other day I seen a couple shopping for a new handgun with a 4 year old child in toe. It is not uncommon in these parts to see an occasional kid in a gun store with a responsible adult. The clerk is a real tactical nut. He had a few handguns on the counter, all the actions opened, and is explaining the merits of each. While all the adults are talking the boy reaches up and grabs one of the guns, and almost started running with it, but mom quickly stopped him, yelled at the boy, and put the gun back on the counter. The clerk asked the family to leave.

Meanwhile while I think the family did not notice, I saw that the clerk put his hand on the Sig at his waist and drew his weapon during the commotion. He kept the gun by his side until the family left, then as he reholster and looked at me, and said, "do you believe the nerve of these people!"

At which point I said, "Yea...ummm how far would that kid have gotten before you shot him?" , before the guy could get a word out I walked out. Will never buy another gun from that store again.

JLStorm
April 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
I have been sitting in the LVPD for hours getting processed for my non-res ccw (takes FOREVER) and this thread has kept me laughing for most of it.

Here is a story that isnt the dumbest I have heard, but I just heard it over the weekend from our CCW class instructor who is also a LVPD cop so it is fresh in my mind..

A guy calls 911 and says he is holding a criminal who tried to attack him at gunpoint. The police arrive order the man who made the 911 call to put down his weapon, and they get his license, CCW, etc.. They then begin to question the guy who was being held at gunpoint who was completely unarmed and not threatening in the least. After much confusion the officers begin to question the man who made the 911 call:

Officer: Sir, why did you think your life was so in danger that you had to display your weapon and possibly fire in self defense when the other gentleman is completely unarmed.

Citizen: He looked like a karate expert and I thought he was going to kill me

Officer: Sir, exactly what made you believe that he was a karate expert

Citizen: He is Asian :scrutiny:

Needless to say the poor traumatized Asian fellow was not the one who got arrested that day.... :banghead:

Trope
April 23, 2007, 11:24 PM
A few years ago, my wife and I were at a local gun shop/range, and we were trying out some rental guns (G19 and G26). My wife was a pretty new shooter at the time, although she was shooting fine and not doing anything unsafe. As we left the range area to check the rentals back in, she was making comments about the grip (Glocks are a bit big for her tiny hands).

One of the employees there offered some instruction, which sounded like a good enough idea at the time. He checked that the gun was empty, then he showed her a two-handed, thumbs forward grip on a G19. Everything was going well until he stepped in front of her to view her grip from the front. The muzzle was now pointing toward his head. I forget my exact words, but I quickly pointed out that was a bad idea. He replied that it was OK, since he "knew it wasn't loaded". My wife, to her credit, pointed the gun in a safe direction and thanked him for his assistance.

PistolNewbie
April 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
Reading this has been a hoot! I always used to be afraid of asking question about many of things because I was afraid I would look stupid. :o As I've gotten older I let go of that one. I have provided plenty of people with laughs as I have learned many thing I would have never known. :D I can relate to the one about the guy with the Beretta that had the shotgun pattern. That is kind of where I'm at just getting started. :( I can only get better! :)

6Gunslinger
April 24, 2007, 12:10 AM
I haven't had much expererience in shops/ranges, I'm a newbie, but the first time I was at one a guy asked... "you know that movie Mission Impossible?" "I want the gun that Tom Cruise used in it" ....I'm new, but I knew enough to know that there are things you just don't do like playing stairway to heaven in a guitar shop.... or tapping on them and saying "hey, these things really are made out of wood" which a friend of mine actually did... I just pretended I didn't know him....

doubleg
April 24, 2007, 12:44 AM
Officer: Sir, why did you think your life was so in danger that you had to display your weapon and possibly fire in self defense when the other gentleman is completely unarmed.

Citizen: He is Asian

Reminds me of MadTV's sketch with Bobby Lee. "He's an average asian, just a fellow of asian persuasion." :D :D

theken206
April 24, 2007, 01:05 AM
lol wow i could spout off quite a few.

Here is a couple.

At bullseye indoor pistol and shotgun range in Tacoma,WA.{yes the same place the DC sniper bought his weapon, diffrent owners these days} A guy a few years older than myself {23,24,25ish??} was teaching what would seem to be his girlfriend how to shoot with a Walther PPK. The came into the lane next to my father and I, exchanged some pleasantries and began shooting.

Now maybe about 20 mins into there shooting, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I glanced over to see her flagging{sweeping, what ever you like to call it} everything that lived and breathed with in 30 feet around her. Did I mention she had a hot weapon and had her FINGER ON THE TRIGGER???!!!!

!!!!!!!!GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

and at the time had it pointed at an upward angle at my dads head. So I grab him by the scruff of the collar and proceed to throw/rag doll him out of the way and do some matrix like ducking and dodging out of the way of her erratic pointing of the weapon.

Instead of my first reaction of promptly confiscating the weapon for good adding it to my collection and promptley smacking both of them in the mouth, I made sure that in no uncertain terms that they both knew that you NEVER point a firearm at anything your not willing to destroy and you NEVER touch that trigger untill you are about to fire.

Then there was the recent time around last X-mas at Federal Way Discount Guns{A big shout out to them, great prices and great people, every firearm I own has been bought there.} picking up a WASR 10 GP for my Xmas present.

Checking out someone asked one of the guys "can I ask you a stupid question"?? Well we all pretty much know what that means, time for something really funny and dumb. *** Pointing to a stainless steel pisol in one of the pistol cases*** "ummm, why is the shiney one LESS expensive than that one". The looks exchanged by a few of us said it all an he left it at that.

Lonestar
April 25, 2007, 12:10 PM

Citizen: He is Asian

Reminds me of an this 80's movie "They Call Me Bruce" about a nerdy Asian guy who knew nothing about martial arts, pawning himself off as an Kung Fu expert.

Colt
April 25, 2007, 01:27 PM
Stupidest thing I've heard in a gun shop:

Me: "Do you carry the Kahr PM9?"
Clerk: "Nope. Nobody wants them."
Me: "Nobody?" (with a little smile)
Clerk: "Nobody." (straight-faced, oblivious to the irony)

iapetus
April 25, 2007, 02:18 PM
Not quite the same sort of thing as has been mentioned so far, but I suppose this counts as a stupid thing done in a gunstore, although its just anecdotal, told to be my someone at my gun club.

Apparently, when the British government decided to ban handguns, they sent someone to a gun shop to note down the prices of everything, so they would know what would be "fair" amount of conpensation to pay for the owners. They then published a big list of different guns, stating what they would give for each, with a note that if you had anything that wasn't on the list, take it to a dealer to get it valued.

However, one particular make/model (I can't remember which) wasn't in the shop - on account of it being such a popular gun that it had sold out. Whoever had been tasked with gathering this data presumably wasn't clued up enough about guns to realise there a gap in their list, so they never got an "official" price for it.

Consequently, my friend (and numerous other gun owners) were able to claim vastly inflated compensation for it.

j1133s
April 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
On the range, the guy next to me was shooting a garand, so I waited until the clip is ejected and told him that I "saw a peice of his rifle fell off". I then proceeded to refuse to believe his explaination and said that his rifle looked pretty old and that's probably why it's falling apart. My friends were laughing really bad at this point and I thought that was incredibly funny.

SlamFire1
April 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
I heard this from the son of the store owner.

Local small Alabama gunshop sells a 38 Spl Colt Police Positive to a customer. Customer only reloads for rifles, asks owner for a good pistol target load. Owner writes something down like 148 LSWC 2.5 grains Bullseye. Customer gets home, since he is only familiar with rifle loads, decides the decimal place must be off. First shot blows cylinder and top strap.

Takes remnants back to Gunshop, claims pistol was defective and wants a refund. Owner tosses customer out of store. Apparently the top strap stayed embedded in the roof of the guy's porch for years.

PistolNewbie
April 26, 2007, 05:19 AM
At a recent gun show I was standing at a pistol display table next to a gentleman who picked up a semi autiomatic piece and started to inspect it closely. The vendor barked at him and told him not to move the slide. The gentleman, who was handling the gun properly, told him he wanted to make sure it worked ok and also look at the inside of the barrell. The vendor remained seated behind the table and gave him a curt response that the gun was fine. The guy put it down and we both walked away. He related to me he had every intention of buying the gun if it was satisfactory, but he would never buy a f*cking thing from that a**hole! :fire: The vendor obviously was there to show off his wares and didn't care if he sold anything. Plus I'm sure it offset this gun enthusiast's enjoyable afternoon! Pretty stupid on the vendor's part! :banghead:

Gustav
April 26, 2007, 05:59 AM
One of the dumbest things I've seen was a stainless steel Smith & Wesson revolver that was a Police trade in, the officer for years had been putting it in the dishwasher minus the grips for the purpose of keeping it clean for inspections.:what:
I don't think he ever used it to qualify with he must have used another pistol.
I hope it never was carried on duty because when I handled it the hammer would not go back and the trigger could not be pulled.
It was spotless on the outside but once I removed the sideplate it was filled solid with greenish crud and gunk and required a great deal of scrubbing to fix.

Many of the old timers used to clean their spare revolver ammunition with WD-40 it works great until the penetrating oil works its way into and deadens the primers.:uhoh:

Also had to clean an old Remington 870 PD trade in that had been used as an ash tray and candy wrapper storage container.:banghead:

Dumbest person was a guy in a firearms class who had seen too many Westerns he came strolling up to the firing line from behind swinging a loaded Colt Python .357 in a holster on a belt around and over his head like he was roping a cow.:fire:
The instructor was a Korean War veteran and PD Sgt he ran over and flattened him on the spot needless to say the culprit was expelled from the class.:evil:

Afy
April 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
I didnt think inspections were that difficult....

Saw a newbie shooting black powder today... using Automotive grease on his first shots...gunking up the gun good.

So on the second load decides to go without any lube... and gets a chain fire. Luckily no one was hurt and the gun survived. He probably has learned his lesson well...

The absolute dumbest thing I have ever witnessed was a game of russian roulette that stopped very quickly. Guns and alcohol do not mix. No one was hurt... after the first trigger pull everyone sobered up real quick.

Thor Bloodax
May 12, 2007, 11:25 PM
At an outdoor range, a fellow showed up with a BP rifle. After a few shots, it would not fire. Finally, to unload it, he tamped as much powder as he could into the nipple, got a thin wire, heated it with his Bic, and stuck it into the nipple. It fired and the blast from the nipple blew off his thumbnail. He packed it up and went home.

welldoya
May 12, 2007, 11:53 PM
I was in a gun shop a few years ago and there was a punk kid behind the counter telling stories to some teenagers that were hanging around. He was telling them how he could put every shot through the same hole with his AR/15 at 300 yards. The kids were eating it up.
Just to humor him, I asked if he has a scope on his rifle. He said, "Oh, with a scope, I could put the target out there quite a bit further."

Warren
May 13, 2007, 12:03 AM
At an outdoor range, a fellow showed up with a BP rifle. After a few shots, it would not fire. Finally, to unload it, he tamped as much powder as he could into the nipple, got a thin wire, heated it with his Bic, and stuck it into the nipple. It fired and the blast from the nipple blew off his thumbnail. He packed it up and went home.

I should be a bit more compassionate but this caused me to literally laugh out loud.

So...LOL.

rantingredneck
May 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
I was in Walmart this afternoon. Walked up to the ammo counter to buy some 9mm range ammo (WWB). Two guys behind the counter were engaged in a conversation re: handguns and "stopping power" when I walked up. Guy 1 was telling Guy 2 that "A 9mm is such a wimpy round it don't kill too good, but if I shoot you in the shoulder with a .45 your whole dang arm will come off". I couldn't stifle the chuckle that came out as I asked for 4 boxes of WWB FMJ. Guy 2 went on to say that "Another good round is...I think it's called the .41 magnum......buddy of mine deer hunts with it". At this point he looks at me and nods and says "It kills deer real good". I said, yeah but its a round that isn't very popular these days and is on it's way out. Fewer guns chambered for it and fewer factory loads available. Lotsa folks who own them handload. I hunt deer with a .454 Casull". He said, "What's that? I've never heard of it." I chuckled again, thanked him, and walked off shaking my head.

Deadheadted37
May 13, 2007, 01:16 AM
I was at my local range and there where two young goth looking guys shooting a rented snub nosed .38. One guy ask me what I thought about that gun because he was interested in buying one. I said you may want to look into a 357 mag, they a not that much more and you can still shoot .38's.
This guy say's why would I want to go with a 357, it is a lessor round just look at the number. I just nodded OK.

I saw another guy bring his autoloading shotgun in for service, the gunsmith asked what was wrong with it. He said he just bought it here last week and the pump action seems to be frozen. All the gunsmith could do was look at him in disbelief.

collateral
May 13, 2007, 04:05 AM
I went into Gander Mountain and saw two guys, probably around 14 or 15 years old with ARs (all of the guns have lanyards to the shelf, and trigger locks, you can pick them up and shoulder them, but thats it) pretending to be in a gun battle with eachother across the store, it really ticked me off. One of them pointed an 870 at another customer and said something along the lines of "I bet i could blow you in half with this"
They were thrown out.

I called a gunstore asking about mini 14 mags, the employee on the phone got very sour towards me when I asked if they had any 10 20 or 30 round mags. He told me if I ever need more than 5 rounds in a gun at any time, I shouldnt have a gun in my possession, and that they dont do business with "people like me," and hung up.
I didnt know not wanting to change magazines as often was frowned upon...

I overheard a guy talking about getting the Smith and Wesson 500 for his CC gun.
I laughed, really loud.

Plink
May 13, 2007, 04:06 AM
The stupidest thing I ever had the misfortune of witnessing happened at the gun store last summer. I noticed the owner was busy helping another guy, so I went off and browsed holsters and accessories for a while. I overheard the customer get all pissy and storm out the door. As I chatted with the owner, I asked what that was all about.

He said the customer had asked to look at some one of the mouseguns, I don't remember the caliber offhand. .22, .25 maybe. Anyway, he handed the gun over to the customer and mentioned that he had other guns in the same size and price range that were in more effective calibers.

The moron acted like the shop owner had just insulted his mother and spouted off with; "I'm not stupid! I know all about guns and this gun is a 30-whatever percent stopper and that means that 3 shots of this will guarantee to put someone down with 10 percent leftover (or whatever). Even the .45 ACP is only a 90% stopper. You're just trying to sell me a bigger gun so you make more money" etc., etc. Then he stormed out of the store quite indignant and highly offended!

As I stood there agasp at the story, the owner said "the sad part is that this happens all the time lately. In the old days, folks knew a little about guns or at least were wanting to learn. Now they come in convinced that the latest hype or movie is the gospel truth and they don't want to hear anything else."

It bothers me because I know he's right. I've seen people who were so convinced by those paper numbers that they were willing to bet their own life that it would only take 2 shots of whatever they were carrying, because it was rated at 51% one shot stops, and that gave them a 2% safety margin. Idiocy is downright scary at times, but to see it in action at the gun store that day was just sad.

bsf
May 13, 2007, 04:18 AM
Not quite the same sort of thing as has been mentioned so far, but I suppose this counts as a stupid thing done in a gunstore, although its just anecdotal, told to be my someone at my gun club.

Apparently, when the British government decided to ban handguns, they sent someone to a gun shop to note down the prices of everything, so they would know what would be "fair" amount of conpensation to pay for the owners. They then published a big list of different guns, stating what they would give for each, with a note that if you had anything that wasn't on the list, take it to a dealer to get it valued.

However, one particular make/model (I can't remember which) wasn't in the shop - on account of it being such a popular gun that it had sold out. Whoever had been tasked with gathering this data presumably wasn't clued up enough about guns to realise there a gap in their list, so they never got an "official" price for it.

Consequently, my friend (and numerous other gun owners) were able to claim vastly inflated compensation for it.
It almost sounds like you take solace in that. :confused:

collateral
May 13, 2007, 04:23 AM
Also! I forgot this one.

This is golden, truly golden.
My friend was talking about building a backstop for a shooting range on his property with a gander mountain employee. The employee told us how he made a shooting range in his concrete walled basement by stacking sandbags on top of his wife's washing machine.

qajaq59
May 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
Good grief!!!!!

If even half of these stories are true there are way to many stupid people running around.

To tell the truth though the fact that they are allowed to drive cars scares me more then the guns do. At least if they shoot a gun at me I can legally shoot back.

iapetus
May 13, 2007, 08:10 AM
It almost sounds like you take solace in that.

Me - no.

My friend - possibly. I guess if you are being forced to suffer due to government ignorance/stupidity/bigotry, then you can hardly blame someone if they exploit that same ignorance/stupidity to get one up on the government, and make a profit while you're at it.

(Also remember, we've had firearms registration in this country for about a hundred years, any transfer or destruction of a firearm must be reported to the police, and it is a lot easier for the police to get a search warrant than it is in the US, so "losing them in a boating accident", as some people suggest doing in the event of a ban is unlikely to work here, and would most likely jeopardize your ability to own any of the guns that aren't prohibited).

slewfoot
May 13, 2007, 09:26 AM
The dumbest thing that I witnessed in a gun shop was me losing my grip on a glock 21 and it falling and banging on the counter top. Luckily for me, the glass top did not break. I couldn't find a rock to crawl under fast enough.

GlenJ
May 13, 2007, 10:29 AM
At one of the indoor ranges here a couple was shooting next to me. She fires one round from a 9mm pistol throwing her hand way back she then turns the gun around and looks down the barrel!!!!

Pitmaster
May 13, 2007, 12:09 PM
While some of these are dumb, some are based on ignorance/lack of knowledge. I'm not stupid by any means, but I am inexperienced with firearms. Therefore its easy for someone like me to make mistakes. The smart guys do learn from from reading the mistakes.

My favorite is the guy who got his head busted by the scope and the advice by the RO given to the man's son to ask his mom for advice. That's a classic and should be on You Tube.

Im283
May 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
I only have one bit of hi-jynx to add.

A couple of weeks ago I stopped at Dick's to price ammo. I asked if they price matched and they do. The only rounds of interest to me to price match was .22WMR's. Nothing odd here yet. They agreed to the price I said I could get from Bass Pro. I was told that the man at the gun counter would call the checkout counter and let them in on my price match deal.

I walked to the checkout area and there was a man on the phone eyeballing around. I figured he was looking for me so I waved my two packs of CCI WMR's at him and he nodded. I got in a line. He then spoke loudly that my bullets were to be price matched at the amount I had told them.

Now it gets good. In front of me in the checkout line were two "well-to-do" looking ladies. I said something to the effect of " I have them here". These two ladies looked at me like I was fixing to go Ji-Had or something. I swear they moved four or five paces away from me as they paid for their purchase.
All the while staring at the two pack of cartridges. Their eyes were huge. They both looked at me over ther shoulders as they grabbed their bags and left.

Now I am always looking to be a "wise-a**" Don't know why but it is just me. I kind of spoke out "Allah Akbar" Don't know if this is the right phrase but they about ran towards the door. The checkout lady gave me a look rolling her eyes, I kind of chuckled.

As I walked out the door they were driving past the entrance doors heading for the parking lot exit, I swear she spun rubber getting out of the lot.

Oh well it was funny when it happened. Some people make it toooo easy.

scrat
May 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
ok i got one. i went to TURNERS. ya i know i really should not go there but i was in the area. I know i was low on powder so heck with it. I thought i dont have time to go to the normal spot i will just get a bottle hear. so i went in waited my turn. then the guy asked me if i needed any help. I told him i needed some Winchester 748. He then proceeds to look behind the counter at all fo the ammo. i started to almost laugh so i just let him look. After a while the guy next to me asked me what i was looking for. I said i need winchester 748 now he adds in. I never heard of that round what kind of gun is that. Now the clerk hears him say this. Now im almost rolling. did a quick caugh then Said WINCHESTER 748. Its gun powder. So the clerk looks over to someone else and says we dont carry that do we. The guy next to me says so what kind of bullet takes winchester 748 is that a rifle or a hand gun. so my laughing has stopped. Now i proceed to tell both him and the clerk that winchester 748 is gun powder that comes in one lbs bottles here. It is used for both hand gun and rifle in various calibers. For loading your own bullets. The guy then next to me says doesnt that cost like twice the amount of just buying a box of bullets. So then another guy from turners comes over and says what are you looking for. I again repeat winchester 748. He goes " ok i will be right back". then he comes out and gives it to me. As im walking to the cashiers booth. i hear the the customer saying wowwww you can blow up a pretty big hole with that stuff. You gotta be some kind of gun expert to buy that kind of stuff.

tmajors
May 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
Nobody buys CZ's because if they break, and they break often, you have to personally take them back to the factory, in Czechoslovakia, by boat, to get them repaired. CZ's are junk. Buy a Glock, at least those are American made.

Serious. Was told that at a gun shop.

darrentxs
May 14, 2007, 12:42 AM
I'll cheat a little with my story as it didn't happen at a range or store, it happened at work. A co-worker comes up to me and said he just sold a gun to another co-worker. I perked right up because I collect and shoot. I asked what it was and he told me it was a customzed .380 with somebodys name engraved on it. He picked it up from somebody that needed quick cash for $100.00 and didn't want to keep it because of the guys name on it...Walter. He was happy though he made money onthe flip.

Sure enough I went to the guy he sold it to who was already bragging - he got a stainless Walther PPK/S new in the box for $200.00. The "Walther" logo was on the grips. I have "dibs" on the next gun he sells!

scrat
May 14, 2007, 01:06 AM
when he comes up with a hollin and hollin let me know i got dibs on that one.

mavracer
May 14, 2007, 01:13 AM
ok my friend had a gun shop quite a while back,he is quite a characture ok smarta**.I would frequently go there after work and just hang out.most of the time I carried A firestar 9mm.
cust: askes about star 9mms
owner: (to me) hey do you have your firestar on ya
me: yes( I clear it and hand it to owner who lets cust see it)
cust:why is he carrying
owner:he's a part time undercover agent for the DEA
cust: oh really
owner:ya why else
we still crack up every time we talk of this one

cassandrasdaddy
May 14, 2007, 02:01 AM
two stories one of a kid about 12(sadly me) shooting 22 longs into a rock wall with wrist rocket. no blood no foul but i did get slapped upside the head by my uncle

sadder we had a painter shot in the back while on a ladder. 3 us marshalls "playing" in a gravel pit. they claimed they were using semis but the shots i heard were full auto.

damyankee
May 14, 2007, 02:08 AM
3 GD's (gang) in full colors shopping at the store I used to work at. Handguns manager looks at me and laughs, I laugh back. They didn't even ask to handle any, but still it amazes me.

theken206
May 14, 2007, 02:21 AM
"3 GD's (gang) in full colors shopping at the store I used to work at. Handguns manager looks at me and laughs, I laugh back. They didn't even ask to handle any, but still it amazes me."

lol

littledoc
May 14, 2007, 04:01 AM
ok i got one. i went to TURNERS. ya i know i really should not go there but i was in the area. I know i was low on powder so heck with it. I thought i dont have time to go to the normal spot i will just get a bottle hear. so i went in waited my turn. then the guy asked me if i needed any help. I told him i needed some Winchester 748. He then proceeds to look behind the counter at all fo the ammo. i started to almost laugh so i just let him look. After a while the guy next to me asked me what i was looking for. I said i need winchester 748 now he adds in. I never heard of that round what kind of gun is that. Now the clerk hears him say this. Now im almost rolling. did a quick caugh then Said WINCHESTER 748. Its gun powder. So the clerk looks over to someone else and says we dont carry that do we. The guy next to me says so what kind of bullet takes winchester 748 is that a rifle or a hand gun. so my laughing has stopped. Now i proceed to tell both him and the clerk that winchester 748 is gun powder that comes in one lbs bottles here. It is used for both hand gun and rifle in various calibers. For loading your own bullets. The guy then next to me says doesnt that cost like twice the amount of just buying a box of bullets. So then another guy from turners comes over and says what are you looking for. I again repeat winchester 748. He goes " ok i will be right back". then he comes out and gives it to me. As im walking to the cashiers booth. i hear the the customer saying wowwww you can blow up a pretty big hole with that stuff. You gotta be some kind of gun expert to buy that kind of stuff.

Amazing, which one did you go to?

Fulcrum of Evil
May 14, 2007, 04:30 AM
> If even half of these stories are true there are way to many stupid people running around.

This is news?

Cliff47
May 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
Not only are they running around, they are BREEDING!!

farscott
May 14, 2007, 11:51 AM
Three I saw/heard on Saturday while my wife was shooting her Mother's Day present, a Buck Mark pistol, at a local range/store.

1) From the store clerk, "Ignore the gun magazines. No one carries a 1911." What made this funny was that two other people within earshot, besides me, were packing 1911s.

2) While my wife was shooting at two-inch targets (orange stickers on construction paper) at fifty feet with her new pistol, a fellow shooter, who was making shotgun targets with a Beretta 92 or 96, commented, "That is a small target. Bet she does not hit it."

3) The above Beretta shooter saying, "There must be something wrong with this gun. I usually shoot quarter-inch groups." My daughter's response, "I would bet it was something wrong with you."

sonofodin
May 14, 2007, 04:57 PM
Local gun shop. Whilst enjoying the looks of some old vaqueros, makarovs and old Cz's, a thug walks in briskly, pulls a Walther P22 out of his waist band, drops a FULLY LOADED mag, pops one out of the chamber and immediately asks clerk how much they will give him. :what:. I think about 6 of us standing around had hands on guns or knives and watched this guy till he left. Didn't get to sell his gang banger piece. For the price they should have just bought it to keep it away from him. Hell, if I would have had the money I would have funded it for the shop.

DRZinn
May 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
Correct answer: "Fifty bucks. Take it or leave it."

budney
May 14, 2007, 05:02 PM
If even half of these stories are true there are way to many stupid people running around.

Well, consider the intelligence of the average person. And then consider that half the people out there are dumber than that.

Soldier415
May 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
The gene pool needs more chlorine...

hobbeeman
May 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
The dumbest thing that I witnessed in a gun shop was me losing my grip on a glock 21 and it falling and banging on the counter top. Luckily for me, the glass top did not break. I couldn't find a rock to crawl under fast enough.

I did the same thing with a Beretta that had a tight slide. What bothers me about this is that I was trying to check to make sure it was clear, when the salesmen routinely do not. They seldom, if ever check a gun before handing it to someone. Because of this, not only was I embarrased to drop their gun, but I was mad because they did not "clear it" before handing it to me! The gunsmith down the road has had AD's while handling the shops "empty guns"

Soldier415
May 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
No such thing as an "Accidental Discharge", plenty of Negligent Discharges though...:D

*Disclaimer: I know mechanical failure of the weapon causing discharge is an AD, but trying to remove loaded weapon from holster with finger on the trigger and shooting a hole in the floor is not an AD*

MrDig
May 14, 2007, 08:02 PM
I have way too many but most of them come from crap I heard from people at Big Box Retailers like Gander Mtn and such. Lets just say that the people working those places are not always Rocket Surgeons. There are some good ones but there are some doozies too.
My you are too stupid to bread winner is a bait shop encounter. I actually had to ask for water in my minnow bucket after the kid put the minnows into the bucket. I kid you not this guy scooped up some fat heads, put them in the bucket and handed me the bucket. Then looked surprised as could be when I asked for water!!!!!
You can go to rehab for drugs and alcohol but there aint no rehab for stupid.

Soldier415
May 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
Not at the range, but too good not to share.

I am a CA Guardsman (Army National Guard), and as everyone remembers we were providing security at the airports.

One day a fresh faced Lieutenant was coming in during shift change and stopped at the clearing barrel, he then tried to pull the sidearm from its holster with his finger on the trigger.

The top of the crappy standard issue cloth holster disengaged the safety and the pistol became tangled, his answer was to put his finger on the trigger and give the weapon a good, hard tug up and away from his body.

He shot himself in the *ss!

We were in the ready room waiting for shift change and upon hearing the shot, formed a four man stack alongside the door then burst through to clear the room.

All we saw through our sights was a 22 year old Lt. with a gunshot in the butt and tears in his eyes.

Happyshooter
May 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
My club has about 1800 members. I, personally, have seen people walk down range to change a target while others are shooting several times.

I also saw a man send his son downrange to put up a target, pull his rifle out of the case, and scope on on the kid. I challanged him to put the gun down, and he assured me that the rifle was unloaded and proved it by pulling the tirgger. I am on the board, and I went to get some more members from the club house and we threw the guy out.

My personal fave, which I didn't see but showed up afterwards, was a guy with a 270. We have range officers on the rifle range starting a month before deer season because a lot of people do stupid things. The guy shoots, can't get the bolt open, takes a block of wood, beats it open. Before the RO gets down there to stop him he shoots again.

He was shooting 308 ammo. Turns out he thought it was all okay because they fit.

Oddly, except for the bolt being locked the rifle wasn't broken.

Geister
May 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
My nephew tried the same thing with a .270, Happy. Of course the .308 didn't chamber.

sonofodin
May 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
Numerous times I have had firearms pointed at me, live on the range. At this day of my age and wisdom, I value my life enough to scold someone and then teach them proper.

buck00
May 15, 2007, 02:55 PM
These stories are really funny.

Ok here is a story. I went to the range once and a group of four 21 or 22 yr old white kids are there- all dressed like 50 cent. They were loud, cocky- typical "gangsta wannabe" kids.

First dude has a semi-auto Tec 9 which jams up after every three shots, I am trying not to snicker. Sorry, nothing against certain guns, but sometimes they reflect the owner.

Then, the same guy loudly announces "Say hello to my little friend!!!" and pulls out a glock 22 with a laser on it. So I watch the red dot on the actual target- and I notice the rounds are hitting no where near the red dot. Hmm. But the kid keeps shooting- and with each shot he is yelling "GET SOME! YOU LIKE THAT?" And the entire time (I was ready to leave by then) he never tried to sight in the laser. I think he got it just because it looked cool. :rolleyes:

TexasP226
May 15, 2007, 03:14 PM
It's not even that hard to sight in a laser. I have a lasermax which you can put in wrong, but you just turn on the laser, point it at a distant wall, and if the red dot is where your aim is through the iron sights, it's pretty much lined up. It's not hard to do! But I guess they didn't care, like you said...

Plink
May 15, 2007, 06:17 PM
I think he got it just because it looked cool.

That's always just sad. I see that way too often too. And it's invariably accompanied by a string of movie references. Therein lies the cause. It's not just common with firearms owners either, otherwise they wouldn't be using "titanium paddle shifters" as the main marketing hook to sell whatever new car that they've been pushing lately.

fletcher
May 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
Dumbest thing I saw:

Friend and I were going to the store (PDHSC for you Raleigh locals) just as it was getting dark. As we near the entrance, a thugged-out SUV pulls up to the door (tinted windows, chrome everywhere, the usual). We continue inside, and then four just as thug looking individuals (who reek of marijuana by the way) come out of the vehicle, leaving the doors open, and enter the store. The store was selling someone's collection on consigment (about 100 firearms of various types), and had a few of the AKs on display near the entrance. The thugs move straight toward them, pick them up, mishandle them, etc. yelling about how cool the AKs are. The owner, fortunately, heads straight over to them and gives them a piece of his mind, saying that they're liable to get shot pulling up to a gun store and running in with a car just outside like that.

Nothing really happened, so it was funny later :p

cavman
May 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
I have had more than one person explaining the function of my Red Dot to his friend the concept. "wherever the dot is that is where the bullet goes".

Turns out many times it was not realized that a lot of sighting goes in to making their statement true!! They thought just slap it one and you're good to go.

LoveMyCountry
May 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have had more than one person explaining the function of my Red Dot to his friend the concept. "wherever the dot is that is where the bullet goes".

Don't forget, you have to use them new fangled Dot Seeking Rounds. Be sure not to use them around people with freckles.:what:

:D

LoveMyCountry

eric.cartman
May 16, 2007, 05:31 PM
OK, here's the dumbest thing I'VE DONE :what:

So I bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser, and some ammo. I couldn't shoot it for few weeks, so I decided to try to drop a hammer on an unloaded shell. I cut the top of the shell off, took the lead out, dumped the pouder in the toilet. Only thing left was the primer. I figured, "hell, primer can't be THAT laud, right?"

Now keep in mind I live in a one bedroom in a building made out of cement. BANG!!! My ears ring. Sounded sort of kinna like a firecracker but weird :what:

Thank God wife wasn't home. I quickly packed up the shotgun and went back to the kitchen where I was cooking some gulash. I swear my adrenalin went skyhigh, and I was HOPING neighbours wouldn't call the cops and report a gun shot :what: :what: :what:

Later wife came home, and I told her. She still ocasionally reminds me what a dope i am :uhoh:

LESSON LEARNED: primers are loud. Don't shoot them in a narrow holway. Echo hurts.

Colt
May 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
LESSON LEARNED: primers are loud. Don't shoot them in a narrow holway. Echo hurts.

Let me suggest another lesson:

After doing something foolish, don't tell your wife! (lest she tease you unmercifully from that day forth)

eric.cartman
May 16, 2007, 07:00 PM
Let me suggest another lesson:

After doing something foolish, don't tell your wife! (lest she tease you unmercifully from that day forth)

Been married for 3 months... still trying to figure out the ins and outs of it :D

Cpl Nobbs
May 16, 2007, 08:02 PM
Not smartest thing I ever did.

Wal-Mart. 2 bricks of .22

CYT at cash register.

"for rifle or pistol" (I'm a gray haired coot)

(SmartA** self)

"Sub Machine Gun"

I didn't know eyes got that wide. I thought she was going to call the cops.

dm1333
May 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
Looking at an Armalite AR15 in a store and the kid behind the counter is telling me all about the "M4" that I am holding. After a few minutes he looks around, lowers his voice to a whisper and says something like "You can convert them to full auto pretty easy if you know what you are doing" and then winks at me.

crebralfix
May 16, 2007, 11:55 PM
I was in the Utah CCW class. The instructor asks each person what firearm they will use. One man says "I don't know" and starts to pull out a pistol. He swept several students and said "Don't worry, it's unloaded." The instructor takes it away from him, drops the LOADED magazine and removes the cartridge from the chamber.

"Don't worry, it's unloaded" are four very scary words.

Capstick1
May 17, 2007, 05:56 AM
I went to a local indoor firing range and had just finished firing my pistol. As I was leaving the firing the range I saw a man and his g/f come in to do some pistol shooting. The g/f had never fired a gun before let alone a semiautomatic pistol. The firing range also had a gunshop outside the firing range and I was browsing the display cases. As I'm looking around I notice the man and his g/f coming out of the firing range and the palm of her left hand is cut up and bleeding and they were looking for the bathroom. When she fired the pistol she used a high grip and had crossed her thumbs as she gripped the pistol. Gun goes bang. Slide goes straight back into the web of her hand.

Cliff47
May 18, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just one thing I can say about that, Capstick1, OUCH! I have had the back of my right hand chewed on by a Hi-Power hammer, so I got a pair of shooting gloves made by Uncle Mike's.

I was at the local indoor range one Sunday, and a guy and his g/f were in the next lane shooting a S&W M27, going just as fast as they could through a cylinder of ammo, and not hitting much. I noticed she was doing a falmingo stance, one foot flat on the floor, the other leg bent at the knee, and like she was trying to balance on one foot. At any rate, I watched for a bit, then the guy wants to know what I'm shooting (CZ75B and a FM/FN Hi-Power). I asked if they would like to try some of my hardware. With a few words of instruction, they were hitting nice tight groups with my pistols, and their collective form had improved.

The guy asked me if I'd like totry their rental, OF COURSE!! I sidled up to the counter in their lane, picked the thing up, cocked it, took a breath, put the index finger on the trigger and squeezed oh, so gently. At the end of the cylinder, all six rounds were touching. I had to explain that it's not about speed, but getting into a 'zone' where it's only you, the sights and the target. Practice your basics, and concentrate on the 'zone'.

They left, and with the look on their faces, I know they will be back.

Impala
May 18, 2007, 04:41 PM
not too much, had a guy try to tell me that Zastavas were Bulgarian once.

92GreenYJ
May 19, 2007, 06:04 PM
Well I had my first one today. I live in San Diego Kommiefornia and today I was in a gun store that caters heavily to Law Enforcement and Security people, but they are open to and sell some stuff to the public as well. Obviously they carry things they can only sell to LEOs.

I was up near the gun counter looking at what they had in the case, eyeing a nice old school .45 revolver they had for 300 bucks when this african american guy and his cow girl friend come in. Dude is tatted, has the dreds going and is wearing a wife beater with his jeans down to his ankles. Walks up to the counter and starts looking, he say "Oh sweet a glock! thats a badass piece right there." then starts talking to the woman behind the counter and asks about a Mac 10!! which of course is completely illegal in this state. He goes on and on about how he wants an automatic pistol, how he can get one in this state, etc. then he goes and eyes up the body armor they sell which of course is for LEOs only and not for public sale. finally the guy realizes he ain't gonna get what he wants and leaves. the woman behind the counter gives me the look and i just smile and shake my head at her and go about my business. It might not have been as funny if there weren't three UNIFORMED officewrs in the store looking at various things when this all happened

jsebens
May 20, 2007, 03:53 AM
Yesterday, a guy told me that HK had discontinued the USPs...and he knew this because his buddy had gotten one of the last ones a year ago for only $1400. I politely explained that HK hadn't discontinued them, and as far as I knew, had no plans to, and this guy insisted that I was wrong. I emailed HK, got a response affirming that the USP was in no danger of being discontinued, and this guy said "I don't believe you...you had a friend send you that just to prove me wrong."

Where do these people come from?

choochboost
May 20, 2007, 04:21 AM
Where do these people come from?
Internet forums? :D

DontBurnMyFlag
May 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
I have just a few minor additions

I brought a friend to the range before and he viewed a few AR's on the wall and said "cool! machine guns!"

Thats not really that bad. Its not stupid, he just wasnt down with the lingo.

The worst one was this kid who proceeded to tell the manager of the range that ammunition should be banned. "Dont ban the guns, just ban the ammo, that way the badguys cant get it." :scrutiny: :scrutiny: seriously

Notch
May 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
I have not heard much but this was one that ended my visits to this particular gun store. I had decided at that time to get into NFA. I had been shopping around alot over the web without much success. I wanted to make a local buy so that I could inspect the firearm before I layed the money out ( I'm just strange that way...) So I am visiting the local shops. At one I was perussing the aisle that contained all the OVERPRICED CnRs... You know the scene, REAL beat up mosins for 250 to 3 bills... A few Enfields in the upper 300 range Some crappy HOYA m1 beat to hell with saw marks on the barrel where they had clumsily removed the bayo mount for 700 bucks...That kind of thing. So I am at the end of the aisle, two or three feet from me at the end of a counter one of the fellows working there asks me if he can help me. I ask him ( in a nice quiet voice ) if they carry any CnR MGs. He yells, and I do mean yells, " We dont cary CnRs and we dont sell Machine guns. I look at him, then at the rack of idiot bait I am standing in front of while he gives some Bubba standing there a roll of his eyes. I walked out never to return. It is the closest GS to where I live but I will drive 20 miles to avoid the joint.

.cheese.
May 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
dumbest thing I ever heard -

"Full metal jacket always means that it has a steel core. Only hollow-points have lead."

redsaber75
May 20, 2007, 09:00 PM
Dumbest/scariest thing I ever saw at the range was this guy shooting a Mosin-Nagant from a bench rest with the rear sight FLIPPED OVER so that he couldn't even see his front sight! :eek:

I noticed this when I saw a large plume of sparks come from the target carrier in his lane.

I politely corrected the position of his sights and gave him a quick lesson on why having your front and back sights line up is a good thing.

He claimed the Ethiopian army taught him to crank up the back sight to "make it more powerful".

Il Duca
May 20, 2007, 11:58 PM
Heard this one from the owner of a local shop. A young man comes to the door and the nice old man buzzes him in. The man acts nervous as soon as he enters the store and keeps looking around the corners of the room and the upper ceilings near the roof like he's looking for cameras. He asks to see a pistol and the old man knows something isn't right but he goes along and gets the pistol out. As he sets it on the counter the young man lifts his shirt to reveal a Mexican carried revolver. He lifts the shirt with his left hand and reaches for the revolver with his right as he babble something about money. By this time there is a little red dot in the middle of the young man's chest coming from the old man's Lasergrips on his Sig P226. the young man lays his gun down on the counter and moves for the door. The nice old man kindly doesn't shoot him now that he is unarmed. He gets to the door and tries to leave, but he has to be buzzed out. So he turns to the nice old store owner and says "Hey, can you let me out?"

I nearly wet myself when I heard this one. What a retard!

There was also a story of a man trying to rob a local shop with a machete but I don't know whether that really happenned or not.

Logan5
May 21, 2007, 12:58 AM
The wierdest one I ever saw personally: One fine summer afternoon I had taken my new CETME (no brake, no nothing, kind of loud) to the range with some nasty Indian surplus ammo. The only other guy there at the time was a gentleman who built his own FAL's, and we struck up a conversation. He spotted me 20 rounds of Portugese surplus, and we were having a fine time.

Third gentleman walks up at target change, and he's talking to himself. Constant low mutter, just jibbering. No eyes, no ears, scoped sporting rifle. Still talking to himself... He starts shooting, and it's Loud. He lets off 40 rounds in 30 minutes, and at the next target change I take a peek at his empty brass while he's out retrieving. He's shooting a .460 Weatherby Magnum with no eye or ear protection, and talking to himself the whole time, constantly.

Then he left. I figure he must have been stone deaf, and didn't know he was talking to himself out loud the whole time. Or something.

Caimlas
May 21, 2007, 01:11 AM
This one really doesn't count, because it's something I've never heard at either setting, but it's gun related. It drives me absolutely batty when someone says, "he's a card carrying member of the NRA", as if it's somehow a catch-all for someone with conservative values. The single-issue tunnel vision from many so-called conservatives is infuriating. "Yep, take all my freedom, just let me keep my thuty thuty (or .243, as is more common out here) and 12 gauge so I can shoot me a deer and birds every fall."

okiebuckout
May 21, 2007, 01:42 AM
I got two for ya. Neither were at the range, but the are the most current in my head.
1st. I was at wallyworld about to check out when I see an old 'former' friend of mine walk in. This guy is a pathological liar. He has lied about being in the Army, Marines, and about being asked to drive for Tony Stewart's Sprint car team:scrutiny: Hopefully I have painted the right picture of the guy for ya. He comes into the store with BDU pants, Desert boots, and a Marine Corps Tshirt. He has an empty holster on his left side and a shiney badge on his right pocket. I say hello and he asks me if i wanna go shoot with him. (I couldn't Mom's day). I asked him what the badge was for. Thats when he tells me he's a private investigator and shows the barney fife badge to me. When I ask about the holster he tells me he just bought a new glock. I asked if he was working at the time. He was supposedly working the night before and he just wore the stuff to go shoot. As we walk out he tells me that he's not even left handed and he needs to get a right handed holster.:confused: Who just walks around with an empty holster and shiney badge in walmart just to go to the range:banghead:

2nd: I was leaving the doctor's office the other day and got in the elevator with some delivery guy. I was wearing an NRA hat. He asks what does NRA mean. So I proceeded to tell him. He looks at me and says "So your trained to shoot somebody's a$$?" I said something along the lines of "no the army taught me that":evil: and just shook my head at him and left the elevator. I guess i was just kinda shocked at the time.

NCLivingBrit
May 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
Dumbest thing I've done at the range:

Misreading a surplusrifles.com article on adjusting the sights on my Yugo 59/66 and setting the target at 25yds (remember, this is my first rounds out of my first milsurp/centrefire rifle) whilst setting the sights at 200yds (yep, I could have sworn the sight was graduated in units of 10yds) and shooting my target carrier not once, but twice.

I (and the RO) thought the first time was a newbie flier and rehung the target. Second time it happened we took a better look at the steel hanger and noticed the pair of shiny new 7.62 dings in it. You can imagine how red my face was..... I'm still no great shakes with the rifle, but I can at least keep all my rounds in the 5pt zone at 100yds. More practice is indeed necessary (as is a more visible front sight).

hksw
May 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
Who just walks around with an empty holster and shiney badge in walmart just to go to the range

You can't be a poseur without the accoutrements.

Caimlas
May 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
Used to frequent a 7-11 in the morning for coffee for the commute to the office. This place had a run of attempted robberies that went as follows:
1) The perpetrator comes in the front door, walks up to the counter and pulls his weapon of choice. Did not notice the city patrol car parked around the corner of the building, nor the officer in the back getting his coffee. Officer comes up behind the perp, places the muzzle of his Beretta behind perp's right ear, and then cocks the pistol.
2) Same store, perp pulls up, leaves his car idling as he goes in to conduct his business. City patrol unit pulls up behind the idling car, sees what is going on inside, and waits for the perp to leave, with shotgun at the ready.
In addition to being arrested, got a ticket for leaving a car idling unattended.
3) Same store, this perp gets out of the store and into his car (must have learned from the previous perp), and backs into a city patrol car pulling into the parking lot.

The convenience store has been closed.

That's a damn shame! If i were in charge of the city, I'd try and get the place subsidized and staff the place with an officer or two. "Crime Quick-pickup" or whatever. :P

Brad Johnson
May 22, 2007, 05:15 PM
Happened when I was but a teen...

Some family and their friends were shooting out on our ranch. One of the friends, a guy we'd just met, was all about his new lever gun. When he wasn't shooting he kept resting the muzzle on his boot top "to keep it out of the dirt". He also had a bad habit of loading the mag with more rounds than he would shoot on his turn, putting the hammer at safe-cock between rounds. After a bit one of our party turned and asked him if it was such a good idea to be resting a loaded gun on his boot top like that. He perked right up and said, "Nope, not worried. It's on safe." At which point he reached down and pulled the trigger to prove his point. Only this time he'd forgotten to thumb the hammer down...

Brad

redsaber75
May 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
Happened when I was but a teen...

Some family and their friends were shooting out on our ranch. One of the friends, a guy we'd just met, was all about his new lever gun. When he wasn't shooting he kept resting the muzzle on his boot top "to keep it out of the dirt". He also had a bad habit of loading the mag with more rounds than he would shoot on his turn, putting the hammer at safe-cock between rounds. After a bit one of our party turned and asked him if it was such a good idea to be resting a loaded gun on his boot top like that. He perked right up and said, "Nope, not worried. It's on safe." At which point he reached down and pulled the trigger to prove his point. Only this time he'd forgotten to thumb the hammer down...

Brad

That is why we have slings in the first place...

Fulcrum of Evil
May 23, 2007, 05:08 AM
> The worst one was this kid who proceeded to tell the manager of the range that ammunition should be banned.

Maybe he heard the Chris Rock $5000 bullet routine and didn't catch on to the joke.

Chui
May 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
A gentleman had a bad primer hit with his Glock. No problem.

He then proceeds to get a screwdriver out of his range bag and commences to poke the screwdriver down the barrel from the business end.

Of course, one bad judgement is often accompanied by another; he had not unloaded the magazine and I really don't know what was the issue with the cartridge still in the chamber.

If you haven't figured it out yet he was not experienced and his finger naturally drifted to the trigger with disasterous results.

He did not lose any fingers but he did a lot of damage to his left hand.

He and his wife decided to sell the G19 and have not been back in.

That's too bad. I would have loved to have seen him decide to obtain training and continue.

Adidas02
May 23, 2007, 11:22 AM
After reading all of these I figured I had to share the only one I have that I can remember off hand..and it's a good one.

A friend and I were shooting at an outdoor ranger here in Texas that allows you to bring your own targets...that what the signs say, but of course that means you can use your own PAPER or CARDBOARD targets on their backstops. Pretty common sense to most humans, but unfortunatly that is not the world we live in today. Anyway, after shooting for about 30 minutes a couple of kids in their lat teens early 20's come in and take a seat at the 50 yard rifle range nest to us. They unpack an AR and a bolt action somethign-or-another...they line goes cold (there were only 3 rifle lanes out of 8 in use) and we all get up to go change out targets. While we are swapping out ours when one of the kids comes out and sets a bottle of tannerite on the freaking backstop! I tell the guy that Tannerite is not allowed here and he says "Sign says we can shoot our own targets"...I tell him that's not what they mean and that they really need to put that away here...kid bassically rolls his eyes at me and gives me a go to hell look.
We all head back to our stations and I start to wonder....do I go tell the RO right now, or just let the kids be stupid and get kicked out and banned? I decided that getting them out for good would be worth it so I let them go (some may call me an a-hole for this, but sometimes the best lesson is the hard one). They sit down pull out the AR and my friend and I jsut stand there ready for hell. A couple of seconds later BOOOOM, Backstop is blown to pieces kids are lauginh their asses off, folks at the pistol range are coming over to see what the hell jsut happend, folks at the 100 yard rifle ranger ar stepping back, and old Ranger Officer comes hauling ass out of his office holding a first aid kit just KNOWING that someone had a gun blow up in their faces. When he gets out he sees everyone standing back looking at 2 kids who are laughing their asses off and sees pieces of cardboard backstop still floating down into a mass of white smoke...it instantly hits him. He starts screaming every profanity in the book at them while running towards their station swinging the First Aid kit. Kids stop laughing and grab their 2 rifles and cases and jump up..they start hauling ass back to their truck with old RO in tow...obviously he has no chance in hell of catching them so he does the next best thing...he hurls the first aid kit at the kids who jump into their truck and haul ass out of the parking lot. About this time the entire range is over the initial shock and is laughing uncontrollably...old RO gets his kit goes inside (where he has the licenses of the two dumbasses) and uses them to make big print outs of thier faces to pin behind the counter banning them for life. After everything had calmed down folks were coming up to me asking what the hell they shot. I told them it was Tannerite and explained what it was, where to get it, and its legality...I'm guessing Dan Tanner got a few extra sales that week.

Colt
May 23, 2007, 11:36 AM
Been married for 3 months... still trying to figure out the ins and outs of it

Just giving you a hard time. You'll learn as you go, like the rest of us! ;)

Invisible Swordsman
May 23, 2007, 12:19 PM
Best one I heard was fairly recently. A customer was looking at a Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible. Sales person told him that he would need moon clips to use .45 ACP rounds. I tried to correct him, but he was certain you needed the clips due to the lack of a rim on the cartridge. I gave up at that point.:rolleyes:

Byron Quick
May 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
A good many folks posting on this thread need to step back and take a look at yourselves as well as the THR mission of promoting responsible firearms ownership.

Yucking it up at some newbie's ignorance and inexperience is not promoting such ownership. Not to mention casting a pall upon such so-called responsible owners.

A good while back there was the post about the guy with dreadlocks having the unmitigated audacity to enquire about legal automatic weapon ownership in a state that does not allow its residents to own such.

That was funny? That there are unconstitutional laws restricting the Second Amendment? I think not, friends. There is nothing funny about a person seeking knowledge. There is certanly nothing funny about the fact he is ignorant about an obscure and unconstitutional set of laws.

I'll just end with reiterating my main beef: many of the yucks y'all are posting don't reflect well on y'all. Think about it.

Adidas02
May 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
I had a similar thought...some post are pokeing fun at folks who are not familiar with firearms that are not what I would consider mainstream...hell, there are some posts that even had me scratching my head.
Regardless it's good to see a list like this because it makes me think twice before I do stuff...don't want to make the list myself ya know. Still, from what I can tell a MAJORITY of the posts here are about people who SHOULD know better...people messing up with things that you should be aware of before you ever pick up, much less purchase a firearm.

Headless
May 23, 2007, 04:42 PM
I watched a fellow come up to the range with an AK-47 and a couple of badly duct-taped together mags. He gets the first mag in OK, first it off, then goes to swap to the second mag. Gets the second mag jammed halfway in. Balances the AK-47 on the counter-top/shooting table top ON IT'S BARREL...4 foot above the ground of course, and starts racking the bolt back and forth and attempting to yank the mag out. Of course the AK slips and falls sideways, leaving the muzzle pointing right down the entire firing line at everyone there shooting. I took that time to get the **** off the line and go over and grab the gun out of the guys hands and clear the jam, pointing out politely that it was a bad idea to attempt to clear a jammed firearm with the muzzle pointing at other people. About 4 people packed up and left when they saw the rifle balanced on it's barrel on the shooting line table.

I've seen a guy just up and walk down a hot range while people are firing away to 'put up more targets' because he was unfuriated by his inability to hit a block of 4 8" shoot-n-c's with his AR-15 w/ scope @ 50 yards. I guess he figured (a) more targets would make it easier (lol) and/or (b) if he got himself shot it wouldn't matter that he couldn't aim. Tis the only time i've seen cease firing yelled on a range - and it didn't get yelled until this idiot was walking BACK from the 50 yard line. The pistol range was hot the entire time this guy was downrange and because of the angles involved, people in the pistol side couldn't see the guy. I had just finished emptying a mag of 9mm downrange, saw a flicker in my peripheral vision, looked over and saw this idiot walking back towards the line from down range right as someone else yelled CEASE FIRING...

Then we had the fellow trying his damndest to force a 7.62 round to chamber in a 5.56 carbine. That was midly comical.

Sharps-shooter
May 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
The first time I went shopping for an AR 15, I was in the gun store, and looking at this whole wall of them, and i noticed the really tiny bore. It looked just like a .22 caliber barrel, but this guy's telling me what mighty weapons they are. so I said, "are these things centerfire?". It was a really stupid question, and I can't claim I was a newbie or anything, because I'd been shooting for many, many years-- just not that kind of gun. I'd never seen a .223 bullet before.

mlandman
May 23, 2007, 08:25 PM
I was at the indoor range and a pair of shooters came in. A young man (to me at least ;) ) in his mid 20s with his GF/wife came in and set up a couple of lanes down with a Glock. She was rather shapley and wearing a tight clingy shirt that was low cut in front...

I took a gander (hey! I'm married, not dead! :p ) and thought "This should be interesting...".

A little while later she started to do quite the dance trying to get the hot brass out.

I think the store crew was watching on the video too!

matt87
May 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
I've not been at this game long, but we do get the occasional person loading .22lr backwards. (Not deliberately, they drop it into the channel and it bounces. Had this once meself, but I noticed before trying to close the bolt ;-) )

Oh and we got someone mash up a round pretty good by dropping it into the channel and slamming th ebolt closed. Thing is, it washalf hangong over the receiver wall. Didn't go off luckily.

Pitmaster
May 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing Dan Tanner got a few extra sales that week.

At least one this week.:)

ADKWOODSMAN
May 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
Worst advice in a gun shop. Just use any shotgun primer in your reloads, there all the same!!! Just look at any manual and see how pressure climbs with different shotshell primers. Nuf said.

gyrfalcon16
July 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
This is the "dumbest thing" I've done... I had two identical 9mm Omni-llama's and went to the range to test them out.

Maybe I had been watching too many action movies, but I decided load up my last two clips and fire them both at the same time. Definitely not accurate, but it was fun until the guy who ran the range tapped me on the shoulder and said "we don't do that here!" in a pissed off tone.

On second thought... maybe the dumbest thing I did was empty a 75 round drum of 7.62x39 on the guy shooting black powder next to me. It's funny how you don't always notice who's getting hit by your brass until you're the one getting it in the side of the head.

otcconan
July 2, 2007, 08:00 PM
Back when I was 13 or so, my older brother was getting ready to go deer hunting. He pointed his .284 at my head and dry-fired it. I told him "dude, don't do that again!" He went deer hunting and I assumed he'd never do it again.

A week later, he does the same thing, only doesn't dry fire it because I beg him not to. But he had it pointed at my head. He said, "what's the big deal... there's nothing in the chamber" and he works the lever...and a round pops out of the chamber.

"That's the big deal," I said. Thereafter, he NEVER pointed any gun at me.

Templar223
July 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
As an instructor, you see a lot... most of it is harmless, but it will (and it should) make you cringe anyway.

You mean like the guy in the pistol class who adjusts his ear protectors with his wheelgun in his hand... loaded wheelgun.

Like the lady who points her Ruger Sp-101 at your gut and you're too far away to reach it... ah, shucks, it was unloaded. I could see the cylinders...

The guy who looks down the barrel to see if his pistol is chambered. (Sir, let's try a better and safer way to check that. [Demonstrate press check then have him do it.] "Oh, yes. That prolly is safer." Yes, sir, it is. It won't cause consternation among the staff and fellow shooters either.)

Sometimes kids do dumb things innocently. Like run in front of the firing line chasing a butterfly even if there was only one kid getting ready to shoot and the instructor grabbed the gun and pointed it skyward as he saw the little girl run (I saw her too moments before and had a bad feeling...)

Or the eight year old or so who I handed a Ruger .22 pistol to, loaded with only five 'cause I had a feeling... He said he had shot one before and seemed halfway competent. Bang... Bang... and the muzzle just kept rising and he kept firing. "Whoa there, Tex!" as I pushed his still firing hands down back on target. "We'll finish this segment one round at a time, young man."

I've heard some dumb things in my time, but they are often from $6.00/hour employees at Kmart or the old K's Merchandise Mart (some really scary stuff told to novice / newbie shooters). Not too much b.s. comes from the gun shops I usually hang around at... at least from the owner's side of the counter anyway.

John

Joe Meyer
July 2, 2007, 09:28 PM
Once,shooting some "right smart" loads in my Ruger Vaquero, old model, I hit the ground about three feet in front of the target on the sixth shot. It would have been my best off hand group ever( under 3" @ 25 yards), but for some reason, I had to make myself look really stupid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumbest thing you heard/saw in a Gun Store or at the range." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!