Using parts washer on firearms?

PDA

theCZ
May 3, 2006, 09:59 PM
Has anyone had experience using a parts washer to clean grime off firearms? I am just astounded at how well it removes grease from tractor parts and bearings and wondered about using it on my guns. I wouldn't use it on anything with a wooden stock, just my CZ75 9mm and my O/U shotgun barrels. Last week I soaked some really dirty choke tubes in the solution for about an hour and I was able to finally get the residue out of them. Of course, it may have been that I chucked the bore brush in a drill press and used that in addition. Does the solution do anything to blueing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Using parts washer on firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
May 3, 2006, 11:06 PM
Worked for a parts washer company up here, long ago. The solution is a form of mineral spirits. It won't bother bluing at all. It removes grease, not rust.

gudel
May 4, 2006, 04:52 AM
what's a parts washer?

redneck2
May 4, 2006, 07:41 AM
what's a parts washer? It's a tank you wash parts in, ala "Safety-Kleen". Truck garages, etc.

I talked to a guy that was in the military. If their weapon was grubby they'd sneak into the motor pool and wash it in their parts washer. Supposedly a big no-no as it was considered the lazy way out, but it worked.

I sell parts washers. Solvent (at least ours) is about the same as typical gun solvents. I use the aerosol version on my guns

Spiphel Rike
May 4, 2006, 09:48 AM
Apparently a diesel or kerosene bath can be good for dirty as hell weapons too.

entropy
May 4, 2006, 11:19 AM
I use one all the time at the gun shop. Just be sure to blow them off good with an air hose, or let them dry before reassembling.

Flatfender
May 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.tokentoolroom.com/images/machinery%20pics/parts%20washer/parts%20washer.JPG

ball3006
May 4, 2006, 12:08 PM
small part assemblies. The cleaning fluid is mineral spirits. Does a great job. I just have to remember to put her toothbrush head back on the unit when I am done........or else, there will be hell to pay........chris3

theCZ
May 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
Well, I cleaned my pistol with it last night. I took the grips off and soaked everything in the solvent for a few minutes and then used the solvent hose and a toothbrush to scrub off almost all the caked on grime. It worked pretty well, I didn't get the barrel though. Best part was it filters the solvent through the system continuously so it lasts forever. I haven't put it back together yet, I'm letting it dry still.

If you enjoyed reading about "Using parts washer on firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!