Berreta 8045

PDA

4thHorseman
April 24, 2003, 05:50 PM
I have a chance to pick up a Beretta 8045. Has anyone had any experience with one?
Your comments are welcomed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Berreta 8045" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Boats
April 24, 2003, 06:49 PM
I had one for five years before I traded off in part for yet another 1911. It had about 7500 rounds through it without a hitch.

Pros:

Feeds any .45
Fires any .45
Ejects any .45
Chromed lined barrel
Beretta Field Strip
Southpaw friendly
Great ergonomics if you don't mind the safety location
Accurate
Tough Finish
Awesome firing pin strength

Cons:

Beretta hugeness (compare the allegedly single stack mag with a 1911's).
Chrono'd poorly (barrel seemed "leaky.") Some loads I get 950 fps+ from a 4" 1911 only do about 875 fps out of the 8045.
Chamber not fully supported
Beretta detail strip
Beretta trigger pretravel and overtravel
No way to change the recoil spring weight
Aftermarket support sucks
Factory parts take a slow boat from Italy

I liked it plenty, more than I liked my old HK USPc .45 ACP and as much as I like my friend's SIG 220. I love 1911s way more as a .45ACP platform.

JerryN
April 25, 2003, 12:13 PM
I love mine. It has become my daily carry piece, with no modifications, straight from the box.

Many Beretta fans think its the most under-rated firearm Beretta makes. Cougar 8045 fans are amazed that its not a more widely favored firearm. Could be just a crummy Beretta marketing effort?

Handy
April 25, 2003, 12:45 PM
The 8045, despite its quality, has not gotten much attention for a couple of reasons:

It's big. This is the age of CCW.

It's big, but only holds 8 rounds.

In most reviews, the accuracy is sufficient, but not even up to 92 levels.

I think alot of shooters find slide mounted safety/decockers a little passe'.

No one likes what they're not familiar with, and this thing uses a rotating barrel. It's a miracle Beretta has done so well with the 92 and its P38 locking system. Browning rules the roost.

It's just tough for a big, not cheap, 8 round .45 to compete against the established and well liked 1911s, USPs, Rugers and Sigs, especially when all of those guns have a little more history and a bit of a hook, like the USP recoil system or the low Ruger price.

I think it's a decent gun, but doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table that people want right now, for $600.

JerryN
April 25, 2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, the 8045 is big. But while it is big, I am not, yet I CCW this weapon just fine. It conceals and carrys nicely.

8+1 rounds of .45 is pretty normal these days, I believe, isn't it?

I also have several 92FSs and yes, they are more accurate, but the 8045 is no accuracy slouch on its own either. I did find that I needed to learn this gun's habits since I was used to shooting the 92s. The more I shoot it, the better *I* get.

The rotating barrel, while perhaps "different" is actually wonderful. The reduced recoil is a thing of beauty. If nobody told you it was a "rotating barrel", nobody would even know it. Its not like you can watch the barrel rotate when you shoot! :cool:

Some people do indeed object to the slide mounted safety/decocker. I thought it was odd when I first picked up the gun, but now it flicks off without even thinking about it. Its just a natural flick of the thumb. That is, when I even use it. Many Beretta owners don't even bother using the safety since its unneccesary.

What the 8045 does bring to the table is unassailable reliability, very rugged and sturdy construction, low recoil, conceilability of a full size .45 and last, but not least, them fine italian looks... Its a beaut...

I'm not sure about price comparison, but aren't the USP and SIG equivalents priced over 600? And you can do better than 600. I paid just over 500 for mine.

Handy
April 25, 2003, 01:48 PM
Hey Jerry,

I agree it's a good gun, I'm just saying it's got rough competition.

USP45: Polymer, 10 rounds, a very effective recoil system, HE finish, "tactical" following. $700
Sig 220: World standard since 1970. Slim, very good controls. $700
Ruger P90/P97: A lot of peoples favorite .45, but it only costs $390. Tough, accurate, reliable.
1911: Forgettaboutit.
Glock: 13 rounds, or a very compact 10 or 6. $550 and HUGE following.

I'm just saying that it's hard for any Johnny-come-lately to compete with that, especially when the only real innovation is one that many shooters aren't going to be initially comfortable with (they'll probably realize how it works when they take it apart).

I hope it does well, but would be unsurprised if all the Cougars are gone 5 years from now. At least they don't have locking blocks to beat up.

JerryN
April 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprized if the Cougars fell off the spectrum either. They have amazingly little name recognition.

But they are easily competitive with the other firearms listed in many areas, thus my surprize that they aren't more popular.

I wonder how Ruger makes those guns so cheap? Could be the slave wages factory workers get up here in this area!

Handy
April 25, 2003, 02:15 PM
Rugers use alot of modern, but low priced production methods, like investment casting.

I think one of the largest hurdles would be the accuracy thing. The USP, Sig and Ruger are all well know for accuracy.

George Hill
April 25, 2003, 02:21 PM
The problem that I have with it is the size vs capacity issue. There is no reason that a pistol that size can't have a 10 round mag with a bit of double stacking going on. In the "Mini Cougar" that only has 6 rounds - that thing could have 10... and especially the full size with only 8. I mean, heck, look at the PT-145 and the CD DDA .45... those have 10 rounds and the grips are not any fatter than a Cougar's.

mattk
April 25, 2003, 02:49 PM
that rotarty barrel system is cool. I dont know if its better or worse than the tilting barrel system but its kind of neat.

JerryN
April 25, 2003, 02:55 PM
George, Handy, yeah, I s'pose, to a degree...

The point is, see, is that even Beretta nuts often don't know much about Cougars. Until they shoot one and they immediately become hooked... but its like this gun is in some weird state of limbo or something.

George Hill
April 25, 2003, 03:38 PM
Oh, it's a fine handgun. One of the best. Sooth and reliable. I like them. But I wont buy one until it has a 10+1 capacity... in all calibers. Even the Mini.
If the Mini had 10+1 I would already have one. Seriously.

If you enjoyed reading about "Berreta 8045" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!