What finish for this Bubbification?

PDA

R.W.Dale
May 3, 2006, 10:31 PM
I''ve slowly been piecing togeather this bubba job for quite some time I call it my MAS Tanker carbine. My next step will be some sort of refinish but I'm kinda torn between some possibilities so I figure I'll let you fellas chime in (this outta get interesting) or possibly post some pictures of some refinishes you've done.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/MAS36/HPIM0789.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What finish for this Bubbification?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bwana John
May 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
I think a nice coat of "yellow" spray paint would be apropreate for a french gun.

"And eleven long haired friends of Jesus in a chartruce microbus" The Rubber Duck
Why dont you put um behind that suiside jocky, he's haulin dynamite, and he needs all the help he can get!

R.W.Dale
May 3, 2006, 10:45 PM
Now that's not necacary:rolleyes: I don't make comments about other peoples stinking commie guns or NAZI scumbag rifles so please no comments about my cowardly French rifle.

Besides it shoots REALLY good ,beyond that I could care less.

deus_sol_invictus
May 3, 2006, 10:59 PM
it looks like it's shaped up into a handy little carbine. Is it still in 7.5 French?

R.W.Dale
May 3, 2006, 11:05 PM
Believe it or not when I bought it it was a Century arms .308 hacksaw special :albarf: I managed to score a Golden State arms barrel from E-Bay chambered for 7.5x54 MAS and that is what the rifle wears now.

deus_sol_invictus
May 3, 2006, 11:09 PM
it would make a GREAT little trunk carbine. I could see it in the back of my Scion under a blanket with a pouch of strippers.

Terrierman
May 3, 2006, 11:34 PM
With the classic Golden er.. Red Ring scope to boot. If you do not camo that sucker, you should turn in your membership card.

mp510
May 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
I like it as it is:)

Dr.Who
May 4, 2006, 01:14 AM
I believe the appropriate Bubbification color should be the same color as the the truck it rides in..... Spray can primer at least 3 different shades with a bit of rust in the corner......:evil: :D :neener:

But, seriously, you put a real nice finish on it and you will not want to take it out hunting...... That would be sad....

eagle716
May 4, 2006, 01:39 AM
That bolt configuration doesn't get annoying? Looks like it has some potential (are those drop marks I see?), but kind of looks like you have the bolt in backwards :banghead:

Pork Fat
May 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
Good thing it has a nice personality.:rolleyes:

pat86323
May 4, 2006, 05:19 PM
I have one in 7.5 french and ive never seen another one, do you have a source for ammo? I still have about 100 rounds of old wwII surplus ammo (right time period but the boxes dont look very military) id rather not shoot that up as i know that there are some people who are very interested in govt issue wartime ammo. So my little beauty has been sitting not being shot for about 2 years now.

mp510
May 4, 2006, 05:36 PM
Pat, Grafs sells brand new unprimed 7.5 French brass.
http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/4646

Harry Tuttle
May 4, 2006, 05:39 PM
it needs a nice truck bed liner coating

adaman04
May 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
Tru Oil

.45Guy
May 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
Norm's saw shop in Richland Center, WI had a pile of 7.5 French last time I stopped by.

Chawbaccer
May 4, 2006, 09:58 PM
Does that have set triggers? Don't look like much room to get your finger in there to set the rear one. I would use a natural wood finish but from the pic it seems the front could use a bit mor wood to metal fitting.

R.W.Dale
May 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
Does that have set triggers? Don't look like much room to get your finger in there to set the rear one. I would use a natural wood finish but from the pic it seems the front could use a bit mor wood to metal fitting.

No set trigger what you're seeing is an added on SKS style saftey in the off position.

I need to fit the foreend a bit better, at one time it would have fit great but the goons at Century took care of that when they ran the forend and retainer through a bandsaw:mad: When I got it the only thing holding the forend against the reciever was the front sight, after 3 shots the upper handguard was busted all to heck.

If you look closely you can see part of a master link from motorcycle chain and 2 brass machine screws holding the forend in place:D

Chawbaccer
May 4, 2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know anything about the MAS, but I saw the shiny screws on the botttom and thought that was a normal part.

jd46561
May 4, 2006, 11:37 PM
oops

R.W.Dale
May 5, 2006, 12:08 AM
Again I butchered nothing, Centuty Arms Intl did a quite through job of that well before I bought the rifle.

I also have a nice new unmolested MAS 36/51 I plan on keeping it that way.

jd46561
May 5, 2006, 07:11 AM
Guess I missed your Century arms comment, sorry. :o

only1asterisk
May 5, 2006, 08:00 AM
I vote for high polish nickel! In all seriousness, I think parkerized looks good on those and if you don't like it, you can paint over it.

with a pouch of strippers.

How many strippers fit in a pouch? Did you have to make extra air holes?

David

stevelyn
May 5, 2006, 11:44 AM
It looks fine the way it is. Mebbe a little linseed oil rubbed into the stock to seal it up.

R.W.Dale
May 5, 2006, 10:25 PM
Guess I missed your Century arms comment, sorry

Not a problem, I would never chop up a pristine example of any milsurp. besides there are plenty of el-cheapo bubbifications just begging for some TLC and tinkering.

Terrierman
May 5, 2006, 10:42 PM
If you look closely you can see part of a master link from motorcycle chain and 2 brass machine screws holding the forend in place

I wondered about those brass screws from the beginning. Good work on the master link adapter kit. And though in the weakest of minority, I still say CAMO. Tiger Stripe from the 60's would be very nice.

kfranz
May 5, 2006, 11:44 PM
Did Century add the safety or did you do that? My vote is CAMO that sucker... :)

R.W.Dale
May 5, 2006, 11:47 PM
Did Century add the safety or did you do that?

Century added it when they did the "conversion":barf: to .308, But I must say it works rather well.

.45Guy
May 6, 2006, 02:55 PM
C'mon guys, let the thing keep some self respect.....A little Moorish Teak stain, and some tung oil will do her up nicely. Please, please don't make that poor rifle suffer under a hideous finish.;)

Cosmoline
May 6, 2006, 03:01 PM
White. That way you can wave it if you've run out of sheets.

Seriously, I'd just leave it alone. Painted rifles look like hell.

R.W.Dale
May 22, 2006, 12:11 AM
Just a bit of an update, after some forend bedding and some load development, accuracy is coming along quite well.:evil: Oddly enough the 170gr 30-30 bullets shot much better than the 168gr match bullets

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/MAS36/Hpim0816.jpg

Commissar Gribb
May 22, 2006, 01:11 AM
I like the bedliner idea.

slzy
May 23, 2006, 01:01 AM
i've put camo tape on everything. hopefully the grand kids will have to make those other decisions. i am thinking about bedlining a klr650,though.

deputy tom
May 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
I voted for camo.Just the stock.YMMV.tom.:D

Lonestar.45
May 23, 2006, 05:00 PM
I vote for Tung Oil, but NO stain. That stock looks just fine like it is. Tung would bring it out. Stain would darken it too much.

flatdog
May 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
Like the man said "Tung oil, No stain." Same reasons.

pat86323
May 23, 2006, 06:46 PM
Mine has a longer barrel with a "step down" about halway through the length where the barrel loses about 1/32 of an inch in its external diameter, anyone have any clues as to what the purpose of this might be?

R.W.Dale
May 23, 2006, 07:38 PM
Mine has a longer barrel with a "step down" about halway through the length where the barrel loses about 1/32 of an inch in its external diameter, anyone have any clues as to what the purpose of this might be?

that's actually normal the rifle in the pic would have had the step you mention had it not been cut down. IIRC there are three decreasing diameters as you progress down the length of the barrel. Unless of course your barrel has one of these affixed. :evil:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/MAS36/Hpim0787.jpg

BusMaster007
May 23, 2006, 08:07 PM
Cool gun.
The last time I saw a guy shoot one was at a Military Shoot.
The guy was a quintessetial NERD...really...replete with taped glasses; pocket protector full-o-pens; and his shirt buttoned 'one-off'. :what:
He won the 'most improved' prize!

For your rifle, I spent a few minutes looking at it and here's what I thought of:

From the top, down ---

Scope needs to be matte black, and maybe upgraded a notch.
Add Butler Creek flip-up covers.

Rings need to be higher, slightly, for clearance.

Scope mount needs to be matte black.

Action could be OD. Wood ( though 'nice' ) could be sanded and Truckbed Liner covered --- then OD. Gives continuity to the lines of the rifle, carrying the color from the buttstock through the action and then the forend.

Bolt/handle; trigger and guard; bbl. and bbl. band, need to be 'black' --- either as is or matte.

Maintain the leather sling.

These things would give a really different look to the MAS rifle.
Hey, good luck! You've got a nice firearm there.

If you enjoyed reading about "What finish for this Bubbification?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!