My apologies

PDA

Nashmack
May 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
This post is in apology to three different parties. First, the Manchester, NH police dept., second, The Firing Line, espescially James McLoud, and third, to all members of THR.

My previous thread, about a felony stop, was made up.I did not realize when I started the thread how damaging it could have been/was to the reputations of The Firing Line, MPD, and THR as a whole. I am very truly sorry for my immature and childish behavior.

That being said, can a mod please sticky this so all parties may see it?

*dons flak jacket and flame retardant suit and waits for the inevitable, well deserved barrage*

If you enjoyed reading about "My apologies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Biker
May 4, 2006, 01:45 PM
Strange. That was your 187th post which is code for murder. Why would you do that?
Biker

Derek Zeanah
May 4, 2006, 01:50 PM
You mean the " So this girl called the police on me..." thread?

Why did you make it up?

Desk Jockey
May 4, 2006, 01:53 PM
:confused: :scrutiny: :cuss: :banghead:

Nashmack
May 4, 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't recall what was going through my head at the time, the only thing that's going through it now is that it was a bad idea, and I am very very sorry for doing it.

Biker, I didn't even notice it was 187.

Chipperman
May 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
Thank you for posting this retraction.

I was speaking with Jim about it the other day, and was waiting to see if you would step up to the plate.

Nashmack
May 4, 2006, 01:56 PM
Thank you for your post Chipperman.

1911Tuner
May 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
I would venture a bet that there have been many such fabrications on this and other forums. Very few have actually owned up to it. That at least says something about your character.

Apology accepted, but you may have to prove yourself for a while before the membership takes you at your word.

real_name
May 4, 2006, 02:00 PM
Nashmack, if you don't mind me asking. How old are you?
I'm not flaming or insinuating, I'm merely opining that younger members of boards and forums generally fabricate stories to compensate for real-life experiences. I've seen it a lot elsewhere and thus take anecdotal evidence online with no more than a pinch of salt.
Good move admitting fault, not a lot of that around these days.

EDIT: Your profile says 21, that explains it for me. Some people are mature at 21, other remain young at that age.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 4, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not so sure a mere "I'm sorry" is enough.

You want to be congratulated for doing what you should have done in the first place, viz., tell the truth?

Derek asked you why you did it. You owe a better response than what you gave.

Ric
May 4, 2006, 02:05 PM
At least you had the gonads to admit it. Many don't.

I would appreciate you not do that again. :scrutiny:

Chipperman
May 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
Not that it really matters, but I'm the one that told Jim about the story.

We both thought it strange that he had not heard anything about the incident when I told him. It was especially odd since many of the Manchester PD officers shoot at MFL regularly. He decided to check up on it, and could find no record of any such incident. He said he would contact you directly, and I said I would not take any action until he heard back from you.

Making this story up was obviously a childish thing to do, made worse by the fact that Manchester is still trying to recover from the last such incident.

Owning up to this took a lot of courage, but it will be a while before people will feel ready to fully trust you.

Preacherman
May 4, 2006, 02:15 PM
Nashmack, thanks for your honesty. It's appreciated.

Other members of THR, consider this. None of us likes being gulled: but Nashmack's done the honorable thing and owned up to it. Save the negative comments for those who gull us and don't own up! Let's give credit where credit is due. Nashmack, you'll have to re-build your reputation: but you've made a good start. Hopefully this experience will go on to influence your whole life, and you'll be a better person for it.

MFL Jim McLoud
May 4, 2006, 03:26 PM
And a lot harder to forgive him.
When I called BS on this-he didn't hesitate for a moment to come clean. I've met too many people in my life that never came clean when caught,and he did. No Police Department/Company or person is perfect-but you should see my parking lot when my alarm sounds :D Many Officers there are also considered friends.

I feel good that I didn't take NashMack by the throat when I had him, twenty years ago it may have been different. I also believe that when he looked me in the eye and said "I f##d up" he understood how bad it was to lie. He is still welcome as a customer - and I found THR :D

panzermk2
May 4, 2006, 03:33 PM
Well he did the crime and He's doing the time.
This may be the NET but what you and do here does matter

bigdaddyb
May 4, 2006, 03:33 PM
And a lot harder to forgive him

Doing the right thing always is.

If 'taking the high road' was easy, we wouldn't have a forum named in the honor of that set of life choices.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 4, 2006, 03:36 PM
When I called BS on this-he didn't hesitate for a moment to come clean.

Wait. You mean you talked to him in person before he posted the apology?

BTW, Jim, welcome to the High Road. Got any pinned and recessed 98% (or better) 629s/29s with four inch barrel for sale?

GhostRider66
May 4, 2006, 03:49 PM
I still thinks that he deserves some form of punishment. Since spankings over the internet are rarely performed and very difficult, perhaps an ammo fine is in order...I can provide the disposal methods and means if necessary. :neener:

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Zoot...um, Nashmack!

esheato
May 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
I don't know Nashmack and I don't even know the thread he's referring to.

What bothers me most is that a lot of people come here to be with friends. A lot of people come here to learn. It had never crossed my mind that someone would willfully come here and lie and deceive like you did.

I find it disgusting.

Ed

American_Pit_Bull
May 4, 2006, 05:55 PM
Pulled a Calvert1 on us... At least you came clean...

cosine
May 4, 2006, 05:57 PM
Now there's a reference I haven't seen used on this board before.

Mal H
May 4, 2006, 06:07 PM
I believe Preacherman said it perfectly. Nashmack - you now have a reputation, but not one you, most likely, ever thought you would have. The re-building has begun.

... and I found THR :DAt least one postive thing has come of this. :)

1 old 0311
May 4, 2006, 08:48 PM
"Let he who is without sin...................."

Kevin

NukemJim
May 4, 2006, 09:35 PM
Preacherman
None of us likes being gulled: but Nashmack's done the honorable thing and owned up to it. Save the negative comments for those who gull us and don't own up! Let's give credit where credit is due.

+1

We all want to have good judgement. How do you get good judgment ? From experience. How do you get experience ? From bad judgement.

The 2 most important things about making a mistake is 1) Admit it 2) Do not repeat it.

NukemJim

Standing Wolf
May 4, 2006, 10:09 PM
Hello, Nashmack!

On the proverbial "bright side," it's a lot more gruelling to live with a lie than admit it, make your apologies, and move on.

You'll be all right in due time.

old4x4
May 5, 2006, 01:59 AM
Still don't understand WHY you did it...

Sgt Stevo
May 5, 2006, 03:00 AM
This is not good. And you need to understand that.

Even though we argue guns, dogs politics, etc. we are for the most part, like minded people.

And some of that like mindedness, is a belief in honer.

I am not being mean. You would know if I was. But you insulted not only the THR, but good cops.

I am not a cop. But the way they think, their belief in honesty and their code is a lot like ours was in the Infantry.

They also tend to have enough on thier plate. They dont need drama.

That said, did you notice the words forgive and how, even though you stepped on your pecker, these guys are still sticking up for you.

That right there is what I am talking about.

Never try to impress or lie to to fit in. It is a waste of time.

The people who matter, will like you, for who you are.

Be well,Stevo..........

Raph84
May 5, 2006, 03:18 AM
It is sad to see someone hurt their good name (in the end our good name is all we really have).

While this does bring to mind the worst facet of the internet, complete anonymity and having only the past credebility of a source as a judge of the current credability.
This does however show me what an astounding collection of people are here.

I read the original thread from start to finish after seeing this thread. It showed me:
1. Members of this forum stand up for what they beleive is right (people came to bat for the "unjustly seized citizen" and for the "doing their sometimes difficult/dangerous duty police")

2. while fairly verbose and a little dodgy at times everyone seemed to manage to disagree cordially and debate any issues of contention in an adult manner (some forums are not this polite).

3. Many interesting, amusing, and educational tales were told about being scrutinized by police.

4. Some members of this forum have mind boggling detective skills (in sniffing out and independantly verifying that the original thread was bogus.

It is unfortunate that we must be reminded that there are people who embellish, fib, or outright lie; yet It is nice to see that the many of the members here can at the same time prove the high road is not just a name.

Valkman
May 5, 2006, 03:57 AM
Man, here 2 months and feel the need to post made up stuff? And then keep contributing to it instead of ending it?

Forgiving isn't hard - you admitted it and I can forgive. But trusting anything you have to say from now on - that's the problem. I agree with esheato.

rayra
May 5, 2006, 05:33 AM
Owning up is not enough.

/feh

Working Man
May 5, 2006, 07:50 AM
No pat on the back for paying the piper, it's like giving someone an award
for just showing up to work.... that's what you are suppose to do.

It also sound like you got called out more than a guilty conscious.

That being said I hope you realize just how important honesty is, a man's
word is the law by which his life is governed. If his words can't be trusted
then neither can his actions or intentions. Honor and integrity is what
separates a Man from just being male.

I hope you have learned something here.

It doesn't matter if you post one good post/thread a day or every other year.
Who you are and your interests should be all that is needed to fit in here.

Live and learn.

RS3RS
May 5, 2006, 08:06 AM
The fact that you lied doesn't seem all that bad, what I don't understand is that it seems pointless to me? :confused:

You produced a completely worthless thread, with a lot of posts, for no real reason? :confused:

usp9
May 5, 2006, 09:00 AM
You should send your favorite firearm to another member of the forum. I hereby accept your offer.

On the serious side, Jesus said "Your sins are forgiven. Go and sin NO MORE"

Applies to all of us I guess.

N3rday
May 5, 2006, 09:37 AM
Hey, good job for owning up to it. We all do stupid things on occasion, and I'm certainly no exception. Live and learn!

Nashmack
May 5, 2006, 10:06 AM
I was planning on posting an apology/retraction prior to speaking with Mr. McLoud. This was a guilty conscience, there was no need for a callout, yall can debate that as much as you wish.

I will say Jim though, he takes care of his customers. When he first contacted me, he wanted names, times, etc, and he called the MPD to investigate.

Of course my reputation here is now tarnished, but how many of you would have been man enough to admit that you lied had you been in my place? Of course some of you will answer with "Well I wouldn't have done it in the first place..." Please, save your keystrokes.

High Planes Drifter
May 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
Of course my reputation here is now tarnished, but how many of you would have been man enough to admit that you lied had you been in my place? Of course some of you will answer with "Well I wouldn't have done it in the first place..."
----------------------------------------------

No, not going to say anything like that. But did you come clean only because you got busted, or was your concieous honestly bothering you long before Chipperman said anything? It takes alot of courage owning up to the muck up, I'l give you that. You could have chickened out and said your friend, an ex girlfriend, or your little brother got on your computer and posted it, but you didnt. I am just not completely sure I understand what motivated you to come clean about it.:scrutiny: Genuinely coming clean is one thing. Getting caught then confessing whats already known pretty much becuse you were given an altimatum is something comletely different.

Nashmack
May 5, 2006, 10:31 AM
Please refer to the first line of my previous post. There is no genuine way to prove that it was guilty conscience, I know within myslef that it is, even though you may not believe me.

real_name
May 5, 2006, 10:39 AM
even though you may not believe me

Why should I believe you,? (See post #1 in this thread.) :D

Really though, it doesn't matter to me why you confessed. It matters that you did confess, next time you tell a tall story just make it about your accuracy or the contents of your BOB (like others here).

Nashmack
May 5, 2006, 10:52 AM
I think a lot of us aren't honest when it comes to tales of our accuracy. At least I was when I did the range report on the compact Witness in the autoloaders forum.

As for the bug out bag....lets see what we have here...

repsychler
May 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
GhostRider66
I still thinks that he deserves some form of punishment. Since spankings over the internet are rarely performed....

You just haven't been looking at the right sites.
:evil:

I'll give Nashmack credit for owning up, especially since it sounds like he apologized to Mr. McLoud in person.

real_name
May 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
You just haven't been looking at the right sites.

The GOP website has spankings?!?!

/shudders.

Nashmack
May 5, 2006, 11:50 AM
Umm, not to bust yalls collective butts, but this thread seems to be drifting.

Yes, I apologized to Mr. McLoud in person. I was scared as hell to go in his office and apologize to him, espescially since he is a former Drill Sergeant, but he's one hell of a guy!

Ron James
May 5, 2006, 12:09 PM
One of the hardest thing in the world to do is to admit you were wrong. I for one will not cast stones but commend you. Reading the posts from FL and THR, I get the impression a whole lot of posts are made out of thin air. At least you admitted it and said you were sorry. Way to go. You can be my wingman anytime.

Q-Lock
May 5, 2006, 12:09 PM
Well...it's good to know that you've come clean about the whole ordeal, but like others have mentioned, I don't understand what gave you the idea to post your "story" in the first place.

Although it will be a while before people will be able to trust your word, at least you've started your rehabilitation with a bit of truth. I think this thread will supply plenty of punishment with the comments other members have to say about the issue. You'll just have to sit back and take the verbal "spankings" like a man and accept your punishment.

I forgive you for your lie...lets start over.

Good day to you sir,

Working Man
May 5, 2006, 12:28 PM
I apologized to Mr. McLoud in person.

I will give you kudos for the in person part. Few do that even when they are
unintentionally wrong.

I hope the reactions here show you the importance of honesty and also that
all is not lost.

But I'm still wondering why you did it in the first place.

Skeptic
May 5, 2006, 01:10 PM
IMHO, well said Preacherman and Standing Wolf.

The deed is done.

I personally think you did the right thing by "fessing up....

Now, get on with the rest of your life.

one-shot-one
May 5, 2006, 01:49 PM
apology accepted.
to those who don't, i can't speak for you but my life is not so clean (i try, it just doesn't always work out) that i can afford to hold something like this over another.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 5, 2006, 02:00 PM
Derek asked you why you did this. Since this forum is the location of substantial business transactions, that is a valid question.

Said transactions demand poster's integrity. This is what we're dealing with.

You responded,

I don't recall what was going through my head at the time

Obviously, given the number of posters who continue to ask the question (viz., why you did it), your response is not believable. If that response is not believable, then your other response is not believable.

The conclusion, therefore, would be that you had no "epiphany" but rather were called on the carpet by Mr. McCloud.
And that's not the same thing as "coming clean."

Yet when posters continue to question, you respond with,

I think a lot of us aren't honest when it comes to tales of our accuracy.

That, my friend, is what is known as rationalization. Inherent in the remark is an attempt to justify your behavior.

As I said, this forum is the location of numerous business transactions. People who post here have credibility. Many have used their credibility to defraud others.

Someone earlier mentioned Calvert1. This was exactly the scenario I'm describing. Calvert had credibility and used that to lie and cheat and steal.

http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/100106684

So, you'll understand if some of us remain skeptical.

May 5, 2006, 02:01 PM
While I missed the thread you're apologizing for, I did follow this one http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=192584.
Is it made up also?

Sgt Stevo
May 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
Sorry about the spelling on my last post Guys. I was tired.

Why? Is the million $ Question.

torpid
May 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
Of course my reputation here is now tarnished, but how many of you would have been man enough to admit that you lied had you been in my place? Of course some of you will answer with "Well I wouldn't have done it in the first place..." Please, save your keystrokes.

This is giving off a defensive posturing attitude, which doesn't help to save face.

Challenging the manhood of those who wouldn't lie in the first place and then denying their honesty as a non-factor when compared to your "man's" confession doesn't come off as very contrite.

Man who doesn't lie > man who lies and owns up > man who lies and keeps mum.

Personally, if I was in your self-made shoes, I would be deferential to the community that I misled, and trying to regain their trust.

Your attitude in those comments doesn't help towards doing that.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
While I missed the thread you're apologizing for

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=197340&highlight=nashmack

History Prof
May 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
While I missed the thread you're apologizing for, I did follow this one http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=192584.
Is it made up also?

I never saw that one, but looking over it now, it does seem to have the same air of :cuss: as the one he is apologizing for....

PinnedAndRecessed
May 5, 2006, 02:37 PM
but how many of you would have been man enough to admit that you lied had you been in my place?

Well, if I had a former drill sargent shaking his fist in my face (figuratively speaking, of course), I would have admitted to anything.

I was scared as hell to go in his office and apologize to him, espescially since he is a former Drill Sergeant

Torpid said,

This is giving off a defensive posturing attitude, which doesn't help to save face.

Challenging the manhood of those who wouldn't lie in the first place and then denying their honesty as a non-factor when compared to your "man's" confession doesn't come off as very contrite.

Personally, if I was in your self-made shoes, I would be deferential to the community that I misled, and trying to regain their trust.

It's good advice, son. Follow it.

exar
May 5, 2006, 02:58 PM
History Prof

Yes, the story does reek of BS especially since we now know that Nash is a blatant liar. The fact that he even made the attempt to rationalize his behavior here shows that he is not truly repentant, and is trying to get attention. I will never believe another post by him. I would simply suggest ignoring him completely and let him post his ficticious BS, like any other site. But this is THR. A standard must be met because stakes are too high when it comes to convening publicly to discuss our current state of freedom. Not only that, but also a vast amount of knowledge is spread through here and TFL and we don't want facts being muddled up by liars trying to gain attention. Last but not least, as stated above, business is conducted through here that can have legal, real world ramifications. I wish Nash had what it takes to banish himself from here, he is no longer trustworthy.

Big Larry
May 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
Nash has apologized. He did it face to face to Jim. He admitted to lying. So now all of his posts are gonna be scrutinized by most if not all. At some point in time, Nash will regain some of our trust and be back in good standing. But that will take some time, and everyone's time is different. To ask him to banish himself over 1 admitted lie, and now possibly a 2nd?? Did anyone ever lie to their parents?? What would have happened to us, if our parents banished us after one lie?? I for one, after the whipping my Dad gave me, made sure I never lied to him again. I told the truth from then on. Still got whipped a few times, but not as severe for telling the truth. Be leary of Nash's posts for a while, and let him earn our trust back. I fell he will in time.

Black Majik
May 5, 2006, 03:56 PM

This doesn't really match nearly the level that Calvert pulled. Calvert's was...umm.. well... nevermind..:rolleyes:

Nashmack,
While I dont' really understand why you would post something like that in the first place, even out of sheer stupidity, I do admit it takes great courage to fess up to it.

I'm sure, or hope that you've learned conjuring up false stories really doesn't do you any good. Stick around, and I'm sure you'll eventually become a great asset to this forum. Of course, as long as the false posting stops... which I'm sure it will.

Welcome aboard. :)

Molon Labe
May 5, 2006, 03:58 PM
I am very impressed by the fact that Nashmack has come clean and apologized. This is always the right thing to do. None of us are perfect, and good, moral people will always forgive such a person.

One example of someone who did the right thing is Rush Limbaugh. Instead of covering up his drug problem, he was forthcoming. People forgave him.

An example of someone who did the wrong thing is Rep. Patrick Kennedy.

mbs357
May 5, 2006, 04:02 PM

I'd have to agree.
That post of his comes off as "I'm so awesome that I'm admitting to it and apologizing."
:uhoh:

Correia
May 5, 2006, 04:37 PM
What's done is done.

This one is closed before anybody says anything stupid that they may regret later. (I only say that because you guys would laugh if you saw what I had written and then deleted) :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My apologies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!