Was I fleeced??

May 4, 2006, 02:18 PM
I shipped a shotgun today from Baltimore, Md. to Bend, Oregon via UPS ground. The cost was $58.50. "Higher gas prices" or "highway robbery"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Was I fleeced??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Desk Jockey
May 4, 2006, 02:27 PM
Sounds pretty high to me for ground. Sounds more like an overnight price. But you can go to the UPS website to get a shipping quote from them. Enter the box dimensions and weight, and both zip codes. I think the FedEx and USPS web sites will do the same.

Old Time Hunter
May 4, 2006, 02:30 PM
I just had a long gun shipped USPS from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin for $22.00, took three days.

Mad Chemist
May 4, 2006, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you were charged the next-day rt.
Overnight shipping is required for HG's, it's not required for rifles/shotguns unless the regs have recently changed. Most of the UPS people are unaware of the shipping rules and will default to overnight for all guns. I think this is what happened to you.

May 4, 2006, 04:14 PM
Expected delivery date is May 11, so that doesn't sound like any "overnight" on this planet. Maybe my mistake was using MailBoxes Etc., rather that going direct to UPS.

May 4, 2006, 06:15 PM
Very much a mistake - especially since they weren't supposed to accept it... nor are UPS stores, only hubs. IIRC, anyway.

May 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
it usually costs me between $13-22 to ship rifles and shotguns via usps.

May 4, 2006, 08:10 PM
:what: :what: You got taken.

Shipped a rifle Priority Mail, insured it for $700, only cost $16. Shipped it on Friday afternoon from NW Indiana got to Clevland Ohio on Monday.

No complaints about the U.S. Post Office.

May 4, 2006, 09:05 PM
That does seem high to me for just shipping but remember that "Shipping" often includes "Handeling" which is a labor fee for packaging the item. I shipped FAL parts to DSA for gunsmithing a couple months ago and rather than do the packing myself I had UPS pack it. The package charge was about $27 plus $22 for shipping. And, yes, I do think that gas prices may have (or will) lead UPS to raise prices if they insist on keeping the same profit margins.

As for UPS not shipping guns, I used a UPS Store and the clerk first said that they couldn't ship my upper from there I would have to go to their Hub. The manager then said they could ship it because it wasn't a complete gun. He did say that it was a complete gun I would have to ship it from the Hub not a UPS Store.

Standing Wolf
May 4, 2006, 10:12 PM
If you used UPS, you got fleeced. It's a company that does anything and everything to dump on those of us who choose to exercise our constitutionally protected Second Amendment civil rights.

May 4, 2006, 11:22 PM
FWIW, I did all the packing. Next time I'll be more careful and get one or more estimates before choosing a shipper. My local Mailboxes, Etc. will not be getting any more of my business.

May 5, 2006, 01:08 AM
Well, you managed to get the UPS Store/MailBoxes Etc. to actually ship a firearm, so you accomplished something even if you overpaid. Hell, they refused to ship an antique (~140 years) bayonet for me last year, so I know the irritation of being refused.

May 5, 2006, 10:51 AM
Did you get fleeced ? ?

Sound like you were the "stuck-ee" on an overnight rate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Was I fleeced??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!