Was I fleeced??

PDA

RM
May 4, 2006, 01:18 PM
I shipped a shotgun today from Baltimore, Md. to Bend, Oregon via UPS ground. The cost was $58.50. "Higher gas prices" or "highway robbery"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Was I fleeced??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Desk Jockey
May 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds pretty high to me for ground. Sounds more like an overnight price. But you can go to the UPS website to get a shipping quote from them. Enter the box dimensions and weight, and both zip codes. I think the FedEx and USPS web sites will do the same.

Old Time Hunter
May 4, 2006, 01:30 PM
I just had a long gun shipped USPS from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin for $22.00, took three days.

Mad Chemist
May 4, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sounds like you were charged the next-day rt.
Overnight shipping is required for HG's, it's not required for rifles/shotguns unless the regs have recently changed. Most of the UPS people are unaware of the shipping rules and will default to overnight for all guns. I think this is what happened to you.

JH

RM
May 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
Expected delivery date is May 11, so that doesn't sound like any "overnight" on this planet. Maybe my mistake was using MailBoxes Etc., rather that going direct to UPS.

Third_Rail
May 4, 2006, 05:15 PM
Very much a mistake - especially since they weren't supposed to accept it... nor are UPS stores, only hubs. IIRC, anyway.

dakotasin
May 4, 2006, 06:09 PM
it usually costs me between $13-22 to ship rifles and shotguns via usps.

Slinger
May 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
:what: :what: You got taken.

Shipped a rifle Priority Mail, insured it for $700, only cost $16. Shipped it on Friday afternoon from NW Indiana got to Clevland Ohio on Monday.

No complaints about the U.S. Post Office.

Zen21Tao
May 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
That does seem high to me for just shipping but remember that "Shipping" often includes "Handeling" which is a labor fee for packaging the item. I shipped FAL parts to DSA for gunsmithing a couple months ago and rather than do the packing myself I had UPS pack it. The package charge was about $27 plus $22 for shipping. And, yes, I do think that gas prices may have (or will) lead UPS to raise prices if they insist on keeping the same profit margins.

As for UPS not shipping guns, I used a UPS Store and the clerk first said that they couldn't ship my upper from there I would have to go to their Hub. The manager then said they could ship it because it wasn't a complete gun. He did say that it was a complete gun I would have to ship it from the Hub not a UPS Store.

Standing Wolf
May 4, 2006, 09:12 PM
If you used UPS, you got fleeced. It's a company that does anything and everything to dump on those of us who choose to exercise our constitutionally protected Second Amendment civil rights.

RM
May 4, 2006, 10:22 PM
FWIW, I did all the packing. Next time I'll be more careful and get one or more estimates before choosing a shipper. My local Mailboxes, Etc. will not be getting any more of my business.

Diomed
May 5, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well, you managed to get the UPS Store/MailBoxes Etc. to actually ship a firearm, so you accomplished something even if you overpaid. Hell, they refused to ship an antique (~140 years) bayonet for me last year, so I know the irritation of being refused.

foghornl
May 5, 2006, 09:51 AM
Did you get fleeced ? ?

Yaaaaaaa-aaaaa-aaahh

Sound like you were the "stuck-ee" on an overnight rate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Was I fleeced??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!