What to shoot at...

PDA

Seancass
May 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
me and a couple buddies are going to go out this weekend and do some recreational shooting to blow off some steam now that college is done for a while.

My question is: What do you guys shoot at when you're just out screwing around?.

my personal favorite is 2x4's with a little base so that when you hit it you get the satisfaction of watching it fall over. we also do this with firewood. we have a couple swinging targest where you shoot them and the flip up until you shoot the one that resets them. i also have a Do-All Traps Round-up style target, but .22's dont knock em around and .22 mags knock em around and back and leave a big dent.

so, what do you guys shoot at for fun??

If you enjoyed reading about "What to shoot at..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nadeem
May 4, 2006, 03:15 PM
alll kinds of stuff, i only have an air gun tho, but still great fun to shoot, generally targets, pidgeons, squirrils and other stuff. great fun :evil:

kfranz
May 4, 2006, 03:18 PM
Tide bottles

ID_shooting
May 4, 2006, 03:19 PM
milk jugs and two-liter soda bottles filled with water are fun, be sure to clean up when you are done.

Low-Sci
May 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
I like glass bottles, if you're at a range where you can get away with that. Also might visit some yard sales and pick up some dirt cheap pottery or vases, that's fun too.

ARTiger
May 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
If you have a lot of room to work with and can hit these at 100+ yards away - 1 lb. propane bottles are a blast (literally) to shoot. Use a fast FMJ round (.223, 7.69x39 etc.) I wouldn't get ANY closer than 100 yds though. They make a heckuva a boom . . . little mushroom fireball cloud and all. Even more dramatic at dusk. Not every one goes off though sometimes for what ever reason a round will go through and not ignite the propane.

dawgtraxx
May 4, 2006, 03:30 PM
MAJOR APPLIANCES

Yakko
May 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
Milk jugs and other plastic bottles filled with water.

Take the caps off before you shoot them, the caps fly a long ways and are hard to find when you clean up.:)

Rockrivr1
May 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
I've always loved shooting things that make a distinct sound when you hit them. I've wired full Coke cans to a hanging target stand. They explode nice when you hit them for the first time and then you can work at trying to cut it in half. It becomes difficult because it's swinging after each hit. I think it's decent practice because it gets you used to hitting a moving target.

If you want something that's fun and frustrating at the same time, try shooting golf balls. You'll miss most of the time, but the time you do hit, that little sucker flys. I Got a direct hit on one with a 45 rnd and that ball flew easily 150 yrds. Hell that's better then some of my hits when I play golf. :rolleyes:

Seancass
May 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
golf balls is a really good idea. we're golfers too. we would do more of the trash/junk shooting, but because of the location, we have to clean up after ourselves a little. i may also work on the hanging soda can targets.

WayneConrad
May 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
My nephew and I won't shoot anything that we can't clean up after, and lots of fun things to shoot are too much hassle to clean up. Pop cans are easy to clean up, but don't always move when a .22 goes through 'em. Tin cans move better, and are just as easy to clean up. We've had good fun hanging animal crackers from branches with pieces of string. The critters take care of cleanup for us, and it's easy to tell when you hit 'em.

Deanimator
May 4, 2006, 04:04 PM
When I was stationed at Fort Knox in the '80s, I bought a set of miniature iron silhouette targets. I used to take them to the public range and shoot them with my handguns, especially my Ruger MkII. They make a nice sound and fall over when they're struck.

hso
May 4, 2006, 04:12 PM
I hang paper targets on a target frame I built on my home range. This allows any target type.

Vanilla wafers. You don't have to clean up after and they make a very satisfying target.

Cheap dog chew toys. The rubber squeeky types. They take tons of abuse and when hung from a target frame by a cord hop and bounce all over.

LoneCoon
May 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
Old tennis balls will leap into the air after being shot with a .357. Plus they're bright green and easy to see down range.

Seancass
May 4, 2006, 04:53 PM
also, do you guys have any good shooting "games" for some friendly competition? we're open to anything simple. we do a lot of races to the middle with rows wood blocks, or how many you can kill with a clip with whichever gun.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
May 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
Jugs, plastic bottles, cantalopes, watermelons, paint cans, smack-n-flip target systems...etc

Otherguy Overby
May 4, 2006, 05:09 PM
Has anyone tried targets from these guys?

http://www.ballistictec.com/index.html

And specifically this?

http://stores.ballistictec.com/Detail.bok?no=54

And for small caliber:

http://stores.ballistictec.com/Detail.bok?no=60

lucky_fool
May 4, 2006, 05:10 PM
Charcoal briquets if you have a light-color backstop.

Spent shotshells at pistol distances, they hop around pretty well and force you to move your POA.

Zero_DgZ
May 4, 2006, 05:50 PM
ARTiger: Propane

I found that if you leave a burning road flare in front of the tanks you not only have a nice bright thing to aim for (helps at night!) but a surefire source of ignition for the fireworks.

Do this stuff at a safe distance, people! I shot a little camping propane tank with a deer slug once from 50 yards or so and we found a piece of it later at about the 40 yard mark, no idea where the rest of it went.

Mikee Loxxer
May 4, 2006, 06:22 PM
A couple of years ago I bought this stuff called Pepsi Spice. The girlfriend and I tried and decided we didnít like it. So with most of the 2 liter bottle being full I spat in it (to introduce microorganisms) and let it sit and room temperature for a month or so while it pressurized. I then took it to the range and nailed it 200 yards with my FAL. It exploded quite dramatically. Aside from that 2 liter bottles full of water work fine.

mbs357
May 4, 2006, 06:33 PM
A bottle behind another is big fun.
Creates a hostage situation that can only be defused by making a 'headshot' on the evil terrorist.
It's always fun when the hostage pulls out a weapon and turns out to be a terrorist too!
:p

Deanimator
May 4, 2006, 06:36 PM
If you have a pig roast, the head makes a good target.

When I was in college, our dorm had a pig roast. My best friend and I sat the head aside to shoot later. Things got busy and we forget about the head, as it sat in a bucket full of water outside the dorm. It came to our attention that a female friend was being mercilessly harassed by some fraternity pledges (threats, thefts, vandalism, etc.) That got us motivated, so we bagged up the head, threw it into the bed of my friend's pickup, and took it out to the claypits where we used to shoot. I shot it with my Series 70 Colt .45. He used his Browning Highpower. We took the head back to the dorm and left it behind the building. Early the next morning, we took it over to the freshman dorm where the bullies lived. The head was in a shopping bag, and by this time it was pretty ripe. We simply leaned the bag against the door. Knocking on the suite door, we walked away. Apparently when the door was opened, it rolled out of the bag and into the room.

There was no more harassment.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
May 4, 2006, 06:53 PM
When the location is right, we look for dead trees. Trim the branches at challenging distances. Then if we've still got enough ammo, we cut it down. Just helping Mother Nature...

-Steve

real_name
May 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
Birchwood Casey Shoot N C targets.

Biker
May 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
I enjoy shooting at empty beer cans.:)
Biker

Sam Adams
May 4, 2006, 07:48 PM
Vanilla wafers. You don't have to clean up after and they make a very satisfying target.

That one I'll have to do. They're easier to lug around than my next favorite, clay birds, and if you don't use them up at the range, you can always eat them :) (yeah, hon, I hit'em all at the range...brrrp).

Of course, if you're in a ticked off mood (politically speaking), you can always take a shot at one of the blue state quarters. :D My favorite is New Jersey, as it is my former state and I'm very familiar with its awful gun laws. Someday maybe I'll even send ex-guv Flim-Flam Florio a quarter with a 5.56 mm hole in it. :evil:

BigO01
May 4, 2006, 07:57 PM
I bought a target stand with a paper holder and swinging targets form these folks http://www.ballistictec.com/ off of www.gunbroker.com a couple of years ago . It is easy to set up and I don't trash out where I am shooting , if you can't/don't wont clean it up you're a slob and are the #1 reason why it is getting harder and harder to find somewhere we can shoot .

dillonuser
May 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
Small pieces of wood such as dead tree limbs.

However, I am questioning this:
I like glass bottles, if you're at a range where you can get away with that. Also might visit some yard sales and pick up some dirt cheap pottery or vases, that's fun too.
I have to ask inquire as to how do you clean it up when it's all broken up?

real_name
May 4, 2006, 08:06 PM
Someday maybe I'll even send ex-guv Flim-Flam Florio a quarter with a 5.56 mm hole in it.

That would probably be seen as a theat.

RecoilRob
May 4, 2006, 08:10 PM
The absolute bestest thing to shoot at (and hit!) is Tannerite. 3lbs will satisfy even the most hardcore explosion junkie.

For the ecologically minded.....a nice tight head of cabbage soaked for a while in a bucket of water will explode quite spectacularly when hit with large rifle calibers. And, it rains cole slaw for an amazingly long time. Makes us all laugh every time! And, the little critters have lunch.

MrTwigg
May 4, 2006, 08:17 PM
I take my eight year old to my club every Saturday and we play "Chase the can". He shoots the tin can with a .22, and then I have to shoot before it stops moving. The object is to see how long we can keep the can moving.

The other game is Shells & Blocks. We stack fired 12ga shotshells on top of sawn 2X4 blocks at 50 yards. I shoot the shotshells and then he shoots the blocks.

Lately he's been shooting at the shells and hitting them too.

Cheap soda cans are fun too !

Dionysusigma
May 4, 2006, 08:23 PM
Boiled eggs (peeled).
Ice cubes.
Paintballs.
Mouldy cheese.
Rotting fruit.
Large fresh fruit (pumpkings, watermelons, etc.)
Balloons.
Saltines.

Or... take a cookie sheet and spray no-stick oil on the bottom. Sprinkle (don't spread) sugar over the entire sheet until it reaches up to the brim. Heat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and allow the sugar to melt. Remove pan and let it cool for a day.

Viola! :D Destroyable "glass" panes that dissolve when wet--ants like 'em too! :)

MD_Willington
May 4, 2006, 08:33 PM
Paper plates, milk jugs, 12" pizza trays from the dollar tree, pictures from the FBI's most wanted website... :evil:

colt.45
May 4, 2006, 10:25 PM
go to HEB and ask if they have any roten fruit and veggies or when they will have some. you can figure out the rest:evil:

Zen21Tao
May 5, 2006, 12:22 AM
Textbooks

Also try Vanilla waffers and/or Crackers. Big advantage is not having to pick up the leftovers as woodland creatures will eat up the left overs for you.

Seancass
May 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
oh yes, the textbooks will die. except the ones i can sell back. i think i will make a swinging/flipper target when i get home tonight. it kinda sucks because we have tons of wood so i can make wood targets all day. but no metal. so i have to keep remaking wood targets. i might work on making a waffer/cracker holding rail so we can shoot a whole line of em.

bedlamite
May 5, 2006, 11:54 AM
Rocks. At the club I belong to there are lots of golf ball to baseball sized limestone rocks between 100 and 200 yards. Hit them with a 223 and you get a dust cloud about 2 feet in diameter.

goon
May 5, 2006, 12:58 PM
Clay pigeons laying on the backstop and balloons stapled to the target stands. Other than that I will shoot at just about anything that looks like it could stand to be shot.

foghornl
May 5, 2006, 01:09 PM
Shooting buddy had a piece of 2"x4", with 2 grooves "routered" into the wide side. Those grooves were just the right size to hold those "Necco" candy wafers.

We would stagger the wafers between the grooves, with a tiny bit of edge overlap. Idea was to break one wafer, without breaking the next one...you really had to center your hits on the Neccos.

dleong
May 5, 2006, 02:03 PM
As an IT professional, I derive immense satisfaction from shooting PC hardware:

http://webpages.charter.net/dlwh/CompHdwrVsGun_02.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/dlwh/CompHdwrVsGun_04.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/dlwh/CompHdwrVsGun_07.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/dlwh/CompHdwrVsGun_08.jpg

:D

crew590
May 5, 2006, 02:29 PM
As an IT professional, I derive immense satisfaction from shooting PC hardware

I'll second that.

Jay

History Prof
May 5, 2006, 02:37 PM
Textbooks

One of my favorites. College professors always get "dealer samples" from the publishers. Then there are the "buy back" people who hit campuses and buy back the ones you don't adopt. They won't take the out of print editions (which are usually the ones the publishers sent you) so I end of with STACKS of old useless texts. Anyone need any?

Joe7cri
May 5, 2006, 02:57 PM
I like using apples and melons. It's a little expensive, but not much clean up, animals will eat everything with-in 24 hrs!

Sam Adams
May 5, 2006, 04:16 PM
"Someday maybe I'll even send ex-guv Flim-Flam Florio a quarter with a 5.56 mm hole in it."

"That would probably be seen as a theat."

Well, first off I'd never theaten, (or even threaten ;) ) anyone. I just don't work that way, and making somebody crap in their shorts is not worth a jail term and the loss of my job and gun rights. I no longer live there, and I'm not subject to NJ laws. Also, we tossed his butt out of office after 1 term - that's all the satisfaction I need. Second, let's just say that IF I ever do that, no one will ever figure out who sent it. It'll be an anonymous and very clean quarter with a hole in it, shipped in an envelope with no prints from a mailbox no where near my home or office.

More than likely, I'll never do this - but I will frame a collection of holed quarters from anti-gun shiiteholes like NJ. Maybe I'll even do on for the Philly and one for the Denver series...hey, now that's an idea that could make money on Ebay....

Sam Adams
May 5, 2006, 04:27 PM
RecoilRob
For the ecologically minded.....a nice tight head of cabbage soaked for a while in a bucket of water will explode quite spectacularly when hit with large rifle calibers. And, it rains cole slaw for an amazingly long time. Makes us all laugh every time! And, the little critters have lunch.

How long do you soak the cabbage?

Colt.45
go to HEB and ask if they have any roten fruit and veggies or when they will have some. you can figure out the rest

The teenage son of a friend of mine had to do a project for a high school film class, and asked if we could do something at the range (smart kid :) ). Of course I was happy to help, so he got a high-speed camera from the school and brought it to the range with some *rotten fruit from HEB*. Let's just say that he should've stood more than 10 feet from the rotten papaya that I nailed with the 12 gauge rifled slug, and that his mom had some interesting laundry to do that night.:evil: :D

Dionysusigma

Why peel the boiled eggs?

zastros
May 5, 2006, 04:55 PM
it rolled out of the bag and into the room.

There was no more harassment. :evil: Dude, you rock!:evil:

Melons are good fun.
So are generic cans of tomato juice.

We used to go to a flooded stripmine pit. Toss in a can of soda and shoot justunder/in front of it. flies pretty nice. rinse and repeat as needed.

A friend of mine who was an animator needed an exploding planet bit for one of his films. We took a large juice can with the top off filled it with gasoline and lit the top, which burned nicely. Cameras rolling, shoot the can with my 7x57, made a very nice fireball. (we added mothballs for planetary chunks.) That film got him an interview with George Lucas.

zastros

RecoilRob
May 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
Cabbage in the bucket for a couple of hours will do the trick. Might not actually take that long but that is what we had. Keep it upright so the water doesn't drain out. Enjoy!

Oh, I've got to second the 'Busting Rocks' targets too. Around here, we have LOTS of rocks and pulverizing them with rifle fire IS fun!

The King of Rock Busting is the 50 BMG....it will break big rocks that just shrugged off a barrage of .308's with only little chips flaking off the surface. Throw in the Blue Tip Incindiary lightshow and you have a good time.

ajax
May 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
I like to break out the chain saw and drill. Take a 2in. tree limb and cut as many discs as you can. Drill small holes in them and hang them with wire or what ever works for you. You can paint them orange to help with visibility. Great fun for the whole family.

5x5
May 7, 2006, 01:00 AM
Tannerite....Boom! Don't use the sissy 1/2 pound charges. Dump 4 to 6 into a 2L bottle... BOOOOOOM!:evil:

Bowling pins rock. I set up ten or so and reinact the St Valentines day massacre with my SP-01. Damn that's an accurate pistol....

When my buddies and I camp out, we ante $5 or $10 in and see who can cut a 2X4 in half with our .22's

Last but not least, Railroad plates hung from a stand give a satisfying PING when hit.. -Ian

mbs357
May 7, 2006, 01:17 AM
Where does one get Tannerite? =D

John G
May 7, 2006, 06:08 AM
Go to the Salvation Army or the Volunteers of America. Buy all the bowling balls they have. They'll also have cheap books and tons of used toys.

5x5
May 7, 2006, 07:16 AM
Tannerite (http://www.tannerite.com/)

There are a lot of retailers, also. -Ian

Seancass
November 12, 2006, 03:53 PM
since i really suck at cooking, i think 2 frying pans and a pot have volunteered to become targets. and thats in less than a semester i've ruined that many. thats what i get for shopping at walmart. i'll be shopping around for similar stuff in the next week or so.

Dusty Rusty
November 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
At Knob Creek, I killed a minivan and several old appliances. Love to shoot bowling pins, paper plates, steel targets (love the sound of a hit), accidently killed a tree once, clays, you name it--I'll shoot it, along as it's legal of course! :D

geekWithA.45
November 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
Helium filled ballons on a string wafting in a gentle breeze make challenging handgun targets, as do chunks of wood suspended by rope, and any number of tincan type targets propped up on whatever's handy.

Make sure the balloons are tied to something you can see easily, so as to make packing out your garbage easier.

Seancass
November 12, 2006, 04:29 PM
can you buy large rolls of paper somewhere to make targets out of? i guess wrapping paper will be really cheap soon.

PotatoJudge
November 12, 2006, 04:55 PM
I've heard that many newspaper printers will give away unfinished reams of paper that are too short to justify loading. Might be worth a shot.

crunker
November 12, 2006, 08:52 PM
www.killacomputer.com

bthest86
November 12, 2006, 09:45 PM
Found a stash of abandoned old dirt-covered PCs in a shack near a school once. Towers and moniters of ruined IBMs from the early 90s. They'd been sitting out in this shack for god knows how long and were pretty useless so I figured no one cared. Loaded up as much as I could.

They made excellent AK and 12 guage fodder.

Toilet paper rolls are good also.

hso
November 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
Remember that you've got to police the area and pick up every bit of debris if you don't own the land your shooting on. We've got enough of an image problem without adding to it by being slobs also.

DRZinn
November 12, 2006, 11:34 PM
Golf balls.

A good hit with a .45 is good for 150-200 yard drive.

Seancass
January 15, 2007, 06:57 PM
i had a revelation. we often shoot in a friends graval pit that is still used. recently he got upset with us because the place was left a mess by people shooting down there. it wasnt the way we left it last, so we picked it up anyways. He was also worried that the wood targets we shoot at might hurt his tires and also the nails that hold the targets together. they are two boards nailed together to make a T shape that stands up. SO i am now going to make these targets using a dowl in place of a nail. just drill a hole in each peace and pound a short length of dowel in there. if i am feeling like it, i will use a little glue.

just a thought for people on others' property: be considerate of them and think of stuff like this!! watch out for nails or other objects which are easy to miss and could cause someone a lot of trouble.

Sharps-shooter
January 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
tacked to a sheet of plywood or osb or whatever. The idea is you shoot at the pictures, and tell the others what you're shooting at, e.g. "This one's going for dilbert's head".

Big game animals, if you have any handy. Makes a delicious snack for later.

An upright log with an old hat on it. great for simulating headshots.

A cofee can , turned upside down on a garden stake. It will usually spin around if you hit it.

Cinderblocks and bricks (kind of messy; works well with big rifle rounds).

Renaissance paintings and Ming dynasty vases.

Cathode ray tube displays (old computer monitors). a lot of these are being thrown out these days, now that flatpanel is becoming popular. They sort of implode when you hit them, and the case catches most of the shattered glass. Put them on cardboard to make cleanup easier.

Furncliff
January 15, 2007, 09:28 PM
I can recommend ice targets. Fill some zip-lock or similar plastic containers with water and don't hog the freezer.:o The ice blocks explode when hit, no enviro impact. I'm a woodworker so I have access to circular saw blades. I hang-'em from a wire. TING.:)

ZeSpectre
January 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
I like to swipe those "vote for" signs after the elections. They make great target stands.

I love the printable "target games" on this site... http://www.targetz.com/fun01.htm My friend and I have a lot of fun with the "dynamite" one. Takes about 3 good hits with a .22 to "cut the fuze".

dleong beat me to the computer hardware one but I haven't done that in a LONG time as I have noplace that would let me shoot that sort of stuff.

Vanilla wafers, that's a good one that I will have to try.

SaMx
January 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
I second golf balls. Hit them with a .22

Brian Williams
January 15, 2007, 10:56 PM
raw eggs

Darth Muffin
January 15, 2007, 11:28 PM
Another +1 on the old computer equipment. Try a computer case with a half-pound of tannerite in it :) It flew about 75 feet in the air.

My local LAN gaming group does "hardware shootouts" from time to time. Yes, we pick up everything and then some.

http://tom.pebkac.us/shootout2.jpg
http://tom.pebkac.us/oct05shootout/IMG_0635.JPG
If you're ever attacked by a hard drive, you'll need more than a .22.
http://tom.pebkac.us/oct05shootout/IMG_0637.JPG
http://tom.pebkac.us/oct05shootout/IMG_0639.JPG

12GA00buck
January 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
Whatever you shoot at be sure to clean in up. I was out at my favorite public range and there was a no shooting sign posted. I'm guessing all the trash left by the idiots before us ruined it for everybody. Brass is fine, I actually like the look of scattered brass all over the ground, but be sure to pack out your trash.

I like pop cans, old computers, water bottles, clays, assorted targets etc. It is also fun to split logs with slugs:D

Snappy_13
January 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
20 pound propane tank from 250 yards, 30 bucks for a helluvan explosion :evil:

The-Fly
January 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
anything that moves. :evil:

Just kidding of course (except if its a rabbit or prairie dog).

Zoogster
January 16, 2007, 12:13 AM
I don't know, they banned shooting anything except metal spinning or paper targets or some such nonsense. Too much trash was being left by lots of people. Well people have continued to leave trash and now they are enforcing it, driving around policing the outdoor area more, and considering legislation to give the ban teeth. I heard something about fining people a few thousand dollars if found with non paper and metal spinning knock down targets on the range and calling it littering which has similar fines here in CA.

The most fun targets are those that take damage and give some insight into the ballistics of the round. Water filled containers etc. Someone left an empty propane tank stuck on a stake in the ground that was a blast to shoot at. Please though take the trash with you, they are adding so many restrictions and rules and big brother oversight because of the expense of hauling away so much trash every year.
Enough people are already scared and anti gun, if people start associating recreational shooters with trash the way they associate smokers with cigarette butts it will be one more strike against us.
P.S. many towns have banned smoking altogether, others have banned smoking on or near a beach, and on any public road or sidewalk (CA law already bans smoking indoors in any public place). I don't smoke but wow it sure illustrates the amount of persecution a minority group can recieve when an object or activity they do has been declared undesirable. Most of the outdoor legislation is due to Cigarette butts, though the PC response by politicians is health concerns...even outside on a beach with heavy wind.
There is no reason the same approach will not be taken with shooting, legislating originaly trash, next it is brass casings that are 'unsightful' and filled with dangerous lead products that hurt the children when they pick them up, or play in a puddle downstream, next it is the lead your launching into the enviroment itself. It all starts and gains momentum and public support because of trash left out.

ChefJeff1
January 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm going shooting with y co-worker tomorrow if it's not too cold. I like cans, spent shells, firewood, jugs. I thought about shooting sole old playing cards snd playing poker or 21 o something like that. I also liike shooting old food like potatoes or that dried up orange in the back of your fridge.

larry_minn
January 16, 2007, 12:37 AM
One of my favorite targets was a plastic tank. I had fun with it as a child but it would never have any been worth anything. I shot it with bolt action .22 and blew off tread. Then I hit it just below turret and it blew off. I went to look and could stick them back on and shoot it again and again. (later with duct tape to hold stuff together) It went thru 5 mags (7rd) before there was not enough left to shoot at.
A dualing tree is a great game. (3-4 targest on each side of center post. You get all 6-8 targets on other side by shooting them to win.)

grimjaw
January 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
There are alot of spent shotgun shells laying about at the public range, and they make challenging targets for a .22 at about 50 yards, especially if they are hung from a bit of cord tied to the target/stand. Condiment packets that you get with fast food are good, but can be messy for otherr shooters who follow you.

I have several hard drives that I'd like to open up on, but no place to do so. :o

jm

MErl
January 16, 2007, 01:51 AM
shoot at anything you like, just take every part of your target home with you to dump in the trash.

I like clay pigeons myself (set in groups of 30 on the berm)

mrmeval
January 16, 2007, 02:42 AM
Shoot them and then sell them on ebay.
:)

CoachVince
January 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
Along the lines of the online targets to print out, you can use google and print out whatever image you want, if you search for large images.

It's been a long time since I had the freedom to shoot whenever I chose, but I remember some guys I worked with in the Carolinas had fun making new shooting games for their get-togethers. These were in the hey day of dot matrix printers, a good laser printer would churn them out well too (and if you have the option to use 11x17 paper, it's great for beginners or guys with shaky hands like me).

Pool - 9 balls arranged in standard racking order, shoot in order.
Pool - Layout of a pool table w/ large billiard balls in center of target
call the ball you'll shoot, and the pocket you'll shoot; goal is a quickly aimed 2nd shot

Baseball - standard baseball diamond layout
shooter1 shoots 1st base, if shooter2 hits 1st, he's out
otherwise shooter1 shoots for 2nd, etc.

If I think of more, I'll post 'em.

I know some guys who shot AOL CDs (grabbed em at checkout counters whenever they saw them), but I think that's an awful mess to clean up.

Jrsmith
January 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
I've always liked clay pigeons (when we get bored of shooting them with 12 gauges... which is pretty rare, or we'll use the partly broken ones) and old cow skulls we've found on our farm (not our cows, the guy who owned the farm before us apparently didn't think much of disposing his dead cows I guess).

My dad, back in the day, used to get a kick out of killing my GI Joes and He-Man action figures when I was a youngster. I didn't mind too much because he would eventually buy me new ones, and I liked watching them explode almost as much as he did.

My favorite targets... rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, grouse, deer ... etc.

Seancass
January 16, 2007, 08:51 PM
those are some great ideas coach.

langenc
January 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
Have not seen any flares at the tange N of me but most of the other crap has been use-and much of it is still there.

Thank you

Dillon Blue press mag had an article about shooting the crap. It was tiotled "Are we becoming a nation or Range Slobs"?

My answer YES

gp911
January 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
Another +1 on shooting your old computers.

I always shoot mine when they outlive their usefulness (6 years typically).

My old Packard Bell (1 gig hard drive! A WHOLE GIG! :D ) took a serious beating from a .38 and a Glock Fo-Tay about ohh, 6 years ago. The hard drive stopped .40 cal hollowpoints but lead round nose .38s punched through it.

I have a couple Dells to destroy the next time I get to go out somewhere remote and shoot. Perhaps whenever things get organized from the "ohio plinking" thread... :evil:

I have better hardware with which to destroy my, errr, hardware nowadays...

gp911

Axman
January 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
I like to fill plastic Ziploc bags will old flour, talcum or corn starch. They make a nice cloud of dust when hit. The powder is also biodegradable and the bags are easily cleaned up. You can hang them or set them on a board or even the ground but they are more entertaining when hung from string.

CNYCacher
January 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
Computer monitors, paper targets, cookie tins, soda cans.
http://richnamy.com/gallery/d/31564-2/100_4603.jpg
http://richnamy.com/gallery/d/31594-2/100_4617.jpg

Trees
http://richnamy.com/gallery/d/31590-2/100_4616.jpg

JCF
January 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
Friend (and firearms instructor) at work convinced me to try bowling pins... fun reactive targets. I get the old ones from a local alley. I put them out at about 30 yards as they seem to have a tendency to return fire. They are also fun with a rifle at 100+ yards.

Also, for precision rifle shooting; bright paintballs set atop golf tees at moderate to long distances.

aerod1
January 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
1. Bubba golf (shooting golf balls). Regular golf is "teh ghey".
2. Oreo cookies (each cookie has two targets after eating the good stuff in the middle)
3. 2 liter plastic coke bottles (fill them about 1/4 full with gasoline, tighten the lid and let them sit in the hot sun. Then shoot them with tracers rounds at dusk.)
4. Reactive steel targets, such as a dueling tree.
5. Eggs (boiled)
6. Cow turds
7. Empty propane bottles
8. Produce
9. Paper targets (of course)
10. Hogs, racoons, skunks, etc.

dpote
January 17, 2007, 05:43 PM
A wood box with a can of hairspray and two candles in it.
Take a safe distance when making your shot.

Dave

Seancass
April 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
well its spring shootin time so i thought i'd bump this.

also a question: where do you get your plate steel for shooting?

its the end of the school year, i have over 300 pages left on my school's computer lab printing allowance, so i think i'm going to make some targets:D strictly for educational purposes.

Coach Shawn
April 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
are great and they bounce around pretty good from a semi 22

Gustav
April 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
Tin cans aluminum cans vanilla wafers 2 liter bottles and milk jugs old shotgun shells standing on the base end to name a few.
Old fruits and veggies can be fun everything from grapes to watermelons and pumpkins.

Glass is a no no and anything you shoot should be properly disposed of and not left behind including empty shell casings and boxes.

Too many times me and my buddies have had to clean up after people who left ALLOT crap behind.:fire:
Bring plastic bags a couple rakes and a set of good cleanup gloves better to leave a place cleaner than it was upon arrival many places have been closed to plinkers based on the littering aspect.

Have fun but always stay aware and be safe.:)

ADKWOODSMAN
April 26, 2007, 04:53 PM
I like to shoot empty shotgun shells-ones found and not those good for reloading, and balloons. I started my kids on balloons the further the better.

DRZinn
April 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
Golf balls!

Im283
April 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
This thread was great to find. I was just messaging someone about how I am getting bored with paper targets. You all gave me some great ideas.

I have a swinging target for .22's and it was fairly inexpensive, also like golf balls and charcoal.
Store brand cheapo 2 liters of soda with a mentos put inside work well too.

SDC
April 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
I've read that tennis balls hanging on strong twine make nice reactive targets as well.

DomMega
April 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
My cousin and I often go to the range during the week, where 98% of the time its empty. That being the case we like to bring fruits and vegetables. There's actual footage of this in my myspace group I put up. Grapefruits, bowling balls with a 12 gauge, empty beer kegs, etc.

I think on our next outing I'll be blowing apart my first Xbox that no longer works for my hatred of microsoft videogame consoles.

DixieTexian
April 26, 2007, 05:46 PM
Old abandoned cars or empty beer bottles. Or both.

Geno
April 26, 2007, 05:54 PM
How did I miss this thread?! This is great! Thanks for posting it! These are some that we have used:

-clay pigeons...especially at 200, 300 yards
-milk jugs of water
-worn-out old guns vaults
-balloons
-golfballs
-plow blades (farm implement)
-disc blades (farm implement)
-life-sized target on cardboard (body-only)
-train-track, rail plates (discarded)
**best-ever saved for last:

Buy a 15" pumpkin. Cut a 1/2" square hole (in the top, near the stem) to inject it full of water. Reinsert the plug and toothpick into place. Then, set the pumpkin on a dirt mound at 25 yards (the surface must be hard). Place a dot with a marker about 1/3 the way up, and dead-center.

I used a hand-loaded .338 Win Mag, 200 grain Speer Hot Core Spire Point, Fed. 215 Mag primer, H4831 powder, loaded to 3170+ FPS. :evil: (No, I won't reveal the exact charge). On impact, the bullet literally evaporated the pumpkin...literally creating a shower of orange mist. When the misty orange water settled out of the air, there was barely even any mush remaining. It honestly vaporized the pumpkin.

Doc2005

Afy
April 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
Normally 1 inch squares at 50 meters.... but if I am really goofing off...

eggs at 200 meters with a .22 LR and 5 shots per egg allowed.

Ammo is expensive... so might as well get some learning in...

Afy
April 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
You want real reactive targets...

Take a quart can of engine oil.. with the oil in it... and tape a stick of dynamite to it..

Best done 500 meters and up...

I still have to try it...

kellyj00
April 26, 2007, 07:11 PM
we took a life sized "Men In black" movie promotional cutout of Dave Thomas from a fast food place I worked at back in the day after the promotion was over.

Shot it full of .40 holes and returned it the next morning. Some of our friends noticed he'd been shot up pretty good, most everyone else didn't even notice.... not even the manager.

larry_minn
April 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
A relative of mine took the Frank Barnells and Ed James. (wine coolers) full size cutouts. He taped can of red paint to back. I saw the vidio tape. Bang and SPLAT of red paint. Then he took VHS rental tape and AFTER the credits he recored it and brought it back to store (after ALL viewing/credits/etc) Later he heard folks talking on how they rented all 4 copies of movie just to see that clip. (they thought it was for movie comming out) :)

WinchesterAA
April 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
refridgerators and car chassis are my favorite. TVs and monitors come in close second, then it's glass bottles and propane tanks. After that, a combination of the above make for an ejoyable destructive event.

HuntCast
April 27, 2007, 01:21 AM
4 legged mammals, when and where allowed.
;)

Seancass
April 4, 2008, 12:43 PM
thought this thread could use a nearly-one year bump for every one to post up their latest favorites.

I am really looking forward to shooting my targets for the Post Your Targets challenges in the handgun forum. I also have a metal gong about 1' in diameter that is a whole lot of fun to shoot. except one "freind" shot it with a 45-70 and put a big hole in it after 4 shots. It needs repaired.

problem is with targets, people keep shooting holes in them.

Dksimon
April 5, 2008, 03:00 AM
Eggs are great too. I gives you the feeling of watching a high caliber rifle tear someting abart but your can do it with .22s. We actually made it into a game.Take 2 cans (green beans, mushrooms etc.) and place an egg on each can. Whever player could move (with bullets) the egg to the ground without breaking it so that you could shoot it and watch the small explosion. Yes i know it sounds boorig but we were 2 farmboys trying to pass time since the droughtwas so bad that there wasnt even anything to do on the farm.

Dksimon
April 5, 2008, 03:09 AM
It appears as though I have the upper hand on most of you. My grandparents (the only white family for about 20 miles) live on a res and there isnt trash service out in the country so they have a big burn pit. All i have to do is lay a board over it and I can shoot anyting I want. Then when your done roll the board over and all the glass falls into the pit.

Taurus 66
April 5, 2008, 03:28 AM
I shoot at 4x4 blocks of wood and in other instances stack 3-2x6's by vicing them together. This gives me a rough indicator as to how specific ballistics by weight (from specified manufacturer) will react upon impact.

My HBAR will clear the three 2x6's at 25 yards, but my M&P .40 won't. It'll only go through 2 and stop in the third piece of wood. On some shots it will stop in center board.

For me it's all about constantly testing different types of ammunition.

Dksimon
April 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
If you are going to shoot propane tanks i would suggest a first shot quickly followed by a tracer tip. that should set off the boom if the first shot didnt

Alx98
April 5, 2008, 05:45 PM
Just got done shooting a hockey puck with my 7mm mag. Two thumbs way up! Won't tell you what happened and spoil the fun for you. hehe :evil:

10good30better!
July 9, 2011, 12:38 AM
Love to get this thread kickstarted for some fresh ideas.

Dollar Store! I live on the front range in Colorado. My plinking usually involves my kids and camping on National Forest or BLM land so we are in a spot that I am certain we can legally (and safely) shoot. On the way out of town, we always stop at the Dollar Store and load up on plinking targets. Everything from 5" hard plastic (read poof!) pack of four army men, baloons, cases of soda cans, rubber ducks....it goes on and on. Last time there, they had these little air horns. Very cool to shoot. Then I had the idea of a combo, sandwiching an air horn between two cans of soda with duct tape. Now we're having fun! Try this one: Rubber duck, balanced on top of an egg, balanced on top of a soda can. Pick each one cleanly off at 50 yards. A great, achievable, fun challenge for all of us.

ChCx2744
July 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
I've always thought shooting 2 liter or gallon plastic bottles filled with water dyed some color was fun. Tying them to a string and letting them hang or just hanging them off tree branches makes them more challenging.

mrbro
July 9, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thread necrophilia!!

Almost got me, almost.

DeMilled
July 10, 2011, 08:35 PM
My all time favorite is bowling pins, second place goes to golf balls.

I'm going to try soft balls the next time I take my pistols out...

Dnaltrop
July 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
spent 12 ga shotgun shells when out in the woods.

Saltines make good targets too

If you enjoyed reading about "What to shoot at..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!