Thanks to you guys........

PDA

Rock_Steady
May 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
and some reading on my part, and I have finally taken that last hurdle and just did it. Sat down today with some time, a manual and components, and cranked out about 50 .38 spl rounds in an hour, drove up to the range, and didn't kill myself or have a pop-and-no-kick. Very cool. And I even started having more questions on my own. Most importantly, is Unique too slow burning for a 2.5" bbl 357? I had some leftover unburned powder at the range site.

Anyway, thanks for the help, encouragement, and just plain know-how available here.

--Rock

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to you guys........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griz
May 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
Fun isn't it?:D
Unique is not too slow for the 357, but it is a bit dirty. What load are you using?

Rock_Steady
May 4, 2006, 10:23 PM
5.3gr unique, 125gr jhp. It was accurate enough, for my first load.

The Bushmaster
May 5, 2006, 03:57 AM
Try W-231. 21/2" barrel? Mod 19 S & W I assume. That is what I have and W-231 in the range of 7.6 to 7.8 grains, a 125 grain SJHP and a WSPM primer does a fine job in that weapon...

Welcome to the fraternity of forgotten souls of reloading. The hobby of no return...:D

redneck2
May 5, 2006, 07:31 AM
If Unique is used at lower levels, it tends to leave residue in my experience.

WW231 should be fine, as would AA5, Universal Clays or Clays. I'm sure there are others that work great. I've used these.

caz223
May 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
Unique isn't too slow for .357 mag mid range loads.
Unique is dirty at the low pressures of a .38 special load.If you have .357 brass laying make a few test rounds of alliant's book load with unique and .357 magnum. I bet it's a LOT cleaner, and just as accurate.

Steve C
May 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
I generally load 6.0grs of Unique behind 125gr JHP bullet in the .38 spl. I've used more but find the 6.0gr load to be accurate and pushing the 125gr JHP's out the end of a 4" revolver (1,000 to 1,050 fps) fast enough to get reliable expansion. In a .357 mag I use Blue Dot with 125gr bullets but if using Unique you would be somewhere around 9.0 to 10.0grs with a 125gr. As others have said, Unique cleans right up with a little pressure increase.

Rock_Steady
May 5, 2006, 04:44 PM
More experimentation is necessary - and I need to build a new bench and get this hobby out of my basement/garage. Oh boy am I in trouble. Ever go to sleep with numbers swimming in your head?

caz223
May 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
I'm in process of buying a new house, one reason on the list of buying it is increased space for reloading stuff.
As for going to sleep with numbers in your head....
You can sleep? I haven't slept in 2 days just because I'm so excited.....

The Bushmaster
May 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
Me too caz223...Just sent wife to Missouri to forage for a new base of operations. Retired and gettin' the hell out of california.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Thanks to you guys........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!