Guardia Civil Spanish Mauser

PDA

joab
May 5, 2006, 04:23 AM
i have wanted one of these 308 Mausers for awhile now, but I have been told by at least on cruffler that they are not safe or at the very least not desireable due to soft metal.

Anybody have any experience or done any research on this Mauser variant?

If you enjoyed reading about "Guardia Civil Spanish Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jobu07
May 5, 2006, 09:14 AM
I've never seen a report of these rifles ka-booming due to higher pressures. I've fired mil-surp 7.62 through mine for years. If you want one get it and don't be afraid to use it.

mrrick
May 5, 2006, 09:23 AM
The guardia civil were well trained, and well equiped. They had a "license to kill" (could kill without repercussions), and often used it.

I remember them patrolling a village I lived in on horseback, they were tough hombres, and everyone got out of their way.

I'd say that the Generialissimo gave these guys the best.

armoredman
May 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
There was an article some years ago, where Guns and Ammo tested some Guardia Civil rifles to destruction, thorugh a separaet lab, and the consensus is thier are very strong. A copy of the article can be had from Samco, http://samcoglobal.com/rifles.html , who are still offering the GC Mausers for $130.
Someday I will get one too, when the van is paid off.:(

beerslurpy
May 5, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hotness. I already like mausers, and non-corrosive milsurp makes it that much more appealing.

oldfart
May 5, 2006, 12:54 PM
I've kicked this subject around for quite awhile. I've even been kicked around by others because of it. So far, no one has had a catastrophic failure of one of these Mausers.
That said, some of them weren't properly heat-treated, leaving the receivers a bit soft. Repeated firing can (and has) caused excessive set-back of the lugs which can then cause split cases or head separation. Since the foundry records are either hazy or nonexistent, it's hard to tell which particular rifle might be susceptible to this problem.
The .308 cartridge seems to have had three versions: The NATO cartridge, the civilian hunting cartridge and the CETME cartridge which is the one the Spanish developed, partially for the Guardia Civil Mausers and partly for the CETME assault rifle now on the market. The CETME cartridge seems to have been the least powerful of the three and our modern hunting ammo the hottest. I've read many posts from shooters who use the NATO surplus in their Guardia Civil Mausers with no harmful effects but are loathe to try full-powered hunting ammo. Still others shoot whatever they want and are quite happy with their rifles.
As near as I can tell, each individual rifle has to be checked for hardness. Since no one wants to send their rifle off to a metalurgist they usually buy a headspace gauge and see what happens over a period of time. No-go gauges can be had from Numrich for (I believe) about $18. Pretty cheap insurance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guardia Civil Spanish Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!