Yugo Sks price?

PDA

chetrogers
May 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
Im calling around to the local firearms stores in Oregon and the cheapest that I can find price wise is $200.I thought they were cheaper then this.I was curious is 200 is a fair price for one of these.Thanks for your time and any information.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo Sks price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smince
May 5, 2006, 10:52 PM
They can be had cheaper, but condition varies. Dealer/C&R price on an un-issued is around $149. Figure tax, shipping, and a little profit for the dealer.

Smokey Joe
May 5, 2006, 11:42 PM
Chetrogers--There are there are 2 Yugo SKS's--the Mdl. 59, a plain infantry rifle, and the Mdl. 59/66, the same with a grenade launcher on the end of the bbl, special sighting device for the grenades, and a cut-off for the gas system which turns the rifle into a single-shot, again for grenade launching.

The Mdl. 59's are all used, AFAIK, in various conditions from awful up to very good. $200 strikes me as a little too much to pay for a Mdl. 59 SKS, unless it happens to be in GRRReat condition. The 59/66's can be had new/unissued--imagine that, a brand-new rifle 40 years old! They can also be had in used condition but why bother? In shooting the 59/66 you just ignore all the extra doo-dads.

Now, an unissued/new 59/66 might be worth $200, IF it has been completely de-cosmolined, is ready to shoot, and all the serial numbers match. They serial-numbered the stock, reciever, magazine, bolt carrier, bolt carrier cover, bolt, and trigger assembly that I know of--the thing has numbers everywhere! They should all be stamped, not electro-pencilled, and all be the same. (There will also probably be electro-pencilled numbers as well--these are factory assembly marks or part numbers of some kind and can be ignored. The stamped serial number is what we are concerning ourselves with here.) If all of the above is true, if the rifle looks really nice, and then if it calls your name, slap down ten Andy Jacksons, grab the SKS, walk away, and smile.

It's not a great deal, but it's an OK deal. And, as someone wise once pointed out to me, the having of what you want, as opposed to still searching for it, is worth something, too. I paid $209 out the door at a gun sho for mine, including tax, paperwork fee, price, the works. I've been complimented on how nice she looks at the range. Her name, BTW, is Comrade Princess Anastasia.

She's no tack-driver, but definitely minute-of-deer at 100 yd, with iron sights. Am working up a load for her, and will try a 'scope.

Oh, BTW, the nicest thing you can do to make yr SKS better is to stone the sear. It's not difficult, and one of the milsurp websites has good directions. Makes the trigger pull MUCH smoother!!

Warning: In shooting the SKS, it can slam-fire--shoot more than one cartridge, up to the whole magazine, with one pull of the trigger. Prevention is simple: Make SURE the firing pin is free to move back and forth in the bolt--it should move of its own weight as you tilt the gun muzzle-up and muzzle-down. If not, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the firing pin channel and lube with light oil. And if it does slam-fire, don't panic, just hold it pointed down-range until it gets through.

I've rambled a good bit beyond the price. I like the SKS. You will too.

Cueball
May 6, 2006, 04:00 AM
I got a 59/66 yesterday in excellent condition with matching numbers for $129. It does have the cosmoline on it, but still a good deal.

aaronrkelly
May 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
A excellent condition 59 would be worth more than a 59/66. They are not near as common. If your going for a good shooter your better bet is the 59/66 though. $150 will get you a far nicer 59/66 then it will a 59.

This is my shooter grade Yugo - I actually have $50 in this gun. Numbers matching, late 70s manufacture, working tritium night sights and a mirror bright bore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/All%20Guns/Image00015.jpg

heypete
May 6, 2006, 07:10 AM
Warning: In shooting the SKS, it can slam-fire--shoot more than one cartridge, up to the whole magazine, with one pull of the trigger. Prevention is simple: Make SURE the firing pin is free to move back and forth in the bolt--it should move of its own weight as you tilt the gun muzzle-up and muzzle-down. If not, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the firing pin channel and lube with light oil. And if it does slam-fire, don't panic, just hold it pointed down-range until it gets through.

Yup. It's happened around here (not to me, thank $DEITY, but an SKS slamfire resulted in a fatality at a nearby range).

One must completely disassemble the bolt to clean it thoroughly. The takedown pin on the bolt is a royal pain in the posterior to remove for the first time. It seriously took me a few days of malleting, letting it soak in Break-Free CLP, and swearing until it finally gave way. Once it's out for the first time, it's easy to get out in the future. Having proper punches and a mallet is key. You really can't hit it too hard.

I've found that lightly oiling, and then wiping the firing pin and firing pin channel completely dry of all oil is important for preventing gunk build-up. One doesn't regularly clean the firing pin channel, and a small amount of oil can attract a bunch of gunk and cause problems.

One of the best investments I made in my SKS was the spring-retracted firing pin made by Ben Murray. It's available at http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm at a very reasonable price, and I've been quite impressed with the quality and reliability of the pin. It brings great peace of mind, though with proper cleaning the normal firing pin is perfectly all right.

halfgone
May 6, 2006, 05:52 PM
I just bought my 59/66 a week and a bit ago. I got the guy down to $175. He was asking $189 and I immediately blanched, and left because I had found them super nice at www.aimsurplus.com (http://www.aimsurplus.com) for $129 and then also at http://www.centerfiresystems.com for $149. But after doing the math, I realized that the $129 rifle would cost me at least $170 after shipping and FFL fees, so when I got him down I ended up paying less than $200 for the whole deal after tax.

What's it worth to you? Don't forget time involved.

HG

Ifishsum
May 8, 2006, 04:38 PM
They do seem a bit more $ here in the NW than what I've seen on the net. I picked up a nice one at Big 5 a couple months ago for $159

chetrogers
May 8, 2006, 06:30 PM
They do seem a bit more $ here in the NW than what I've seen on the net. I picked up a nice one at Big 5 a couple months ago for $159Do you know what grade they sell at big 5? I have never been there and will check it out hopefully this week.

Hkmp5sd
May 8, 2006, 07:30 PM
The latest SOG catalog has "good" condition 59/66 Yugos for $90, VG for $130 and Excellent for $150. They have VG 59's for $140.

MD_Willington
May 8, 2006, 08:16 PM
The last yugo I checked out at "Big 5" in Moscow ID looked like it was only wiped down, cosmo everywhere, a few of them had carved up furniture, price was in the ~$200 range... One thing about the "Big 5" store in my area, the had MN's on for $69, I went in for a look at them and they were sold out, but the manager had some others at full price and said he would honor the $69 add... So keep an eye on them for a Yugo blowout, they will probably honor the lower price if you miss the sale.

LoneCoon
May 8, 2006, 09:06 PM
I paid 100 even for my Yugo. All the serial numbers match, and there are only minor scratches on the stock. Sure, it was still in cosmoline, but it was a fun challenge to get it ready to shoot.

chetrogers
May 8, 2006, 09:56 PM
I will definetly get a synthetic stock for my first sks.Then i think im going to buy a 2nd one to fix up real nice with a real stock..

smince
May 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
Got a C&R sales flyer from SAMCO Global today. Prices are from "shooter grade" ($109.95) to "new condition, consecutive serial #'s" ($199.95).

Add Shipping, Tax, and Transfer Fees if applicable.

qajaq59
May 9, 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for that address http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm about that firing pin spring. I have been leary about buying the SKS because of that slam firing problem but now I may just take another look at one of them.

chetrogers
May 9, 2006, 10:52 PM
Im curious to how often the slam fire occurs..I dont like to purchase a firearm if i know its going to malfunction.I know it happens from time to time but If its something that is going to happen i will avoid.

dbl-tap
May 9, 2006, 11:54 PM
I have put a thousand rounds thru my Yugo without a slamfire. Maybe it's comming but mine seems to function perfect. My AK is another story. Slamfired within the first hundred rounds. All a gamble.

Smokey Joe
May 10, 2006, 12:03 AM
Chetrogers--In all the rounds I've put through my 2 SKS's I've had exactly one slamfire. That was before I knew to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the firing pin channel.

No big deal, I just held it pointed down range until it was through with its silliness--which was very quick, BTW, as the SKS isn't designed for automatic fire, and usually jams on the 2nd or 3rd round. (Though I have heard of its emptying a 10-round mag.)

Since I learned to clean the firing pin channel, and reload using CCI #34 primers, which are designed for this type of firearm, have had no problems.

When I let someone else shoot my SKS, I always warn them of the possibility, and what to do about it.

I think awareness is the key. If you're aware that it could happen, and ready to deal with it, it just isn't that big a deal.

dmckean44
May 10, 2006, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about price unless you're collecting and are buying a lot of them. Even if you pay $300 surplus rifles are still the best bargain out there by far. An equiviliant new rifle built to the same specs would easily end up in the $700-900 range.

Stiletto Null
May 10, 2006, 12:40 AM
That's a very good point...the closest commercial competitor to an SKS is the Ruger Mini-30.

Check out that price gap.

Rexrider
May 10, 2006, 01:59 AM
Im curious to how often the slam fire occurs..I dont like to purchase a firearm if i know its going to malfunction.I know it happens from time to time but If its something that is going to happen i will avoid.

As long as the firing pin channel is cleaned of cosmoline, there is very little risk of a slam fire.

The problem is the cosmoline, not the design of the rifle. There are many rifles that use a floating firing pin just like the SKS (AR-15 for example). But most of these other rifles are not completely packed in cosmoline. If they were, they would probably have the same risk of a slam fire if the bolt and firing pin were not cleaned properly

I have never had a slamfire with either of my SKSs. The bolts have been cleaned and the firing pins free to "float".

rangerruck
May 10, 2006, 04:58 AM
there is a big gunshow coming up here in houston on the 20th. most of these will be in the box, brand new, cosmoline drenched, and will go for 100 to 150 dollars max, depending on dealer, tax, etc.

kfranz
May 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
But after doing the math, I realized that the $129 rifle would cost me at least $170 after shipping and FFL fees, so when I got him down I ended up paying less than $200 for the whole deal after tax.

A $30 C&R would have saved you the difference. $129 rifle, $12 shipping, $30 C&R (good for 3 years) = $171. No tax, no transfer fee, no BS. Right to your door. The downside is they come right to your door, which makes impulse more difficult to manage...;)

smince
May 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
Plus, as has been pointed out numerous times before, the C&R License gets dealer discount from Brownell's, Midway, Grafs, Gun Parts Corp, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo Sks price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!