Do your guns know when they're next on the Chopping Block?

PDA

marklbucla
May 6, 2006, 01:18 AM
Ever have a gun that just wasn't what you hoped for? As soon as you decide to sell it, the gun magically becomes what it's supposed to be and more?

For the second time, I had a really nice outing with a gun that was one range trip from being sold. This time, it was my 870. I decided that I really only NEED one SG (my 500A Persuader) and took my 870 out for one last photoshoot and assesment for my sale listing. I shot 7 boxes of shells and had a blast with it. (I typically only shoot about 2 per trip) The action felt silky smooth and recoil lighter than ever. I guess I'll have to keep her, especially considering that she was my first gun a little over 4 years ago.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/2355/p5050504a0ce.jpg

The other time, it was my EAA Witness .45. The grip was too big for my hands and I'm too cheap to pay for .45 ammo, even at $7 a box. On the last trip to the range, I put magazine after magazine into a nickel sized hole at about 10 yards. I kept it for a little while longer, but I did eventually sell it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do your guns know when they're next on the Chopping Block?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zen21Tao
May 6, 2006, 01:57 AM
A friend that I shoot with has a testy Glock 19. When we go to the range he shoots average with the Glock then when I let him borrow one of my 1911s he starts shooting much more accurately swearing that it might be time to trade his Glock in for a 1911. Then, like magic, his Glock starts shooting much better for a couple mags. This has happened a few times now and we both get a nice laugh over it.

10 Ring Tao
May 6, 2006, 04:08 AM
I don't think I'll ever get rid of my first gun, a glock 19. I'm just that sentimental.

bruss01
May 6, 2006, 12:22 PM
I just don't understand why people sell guns.

Oh, I suppose there are reasons. You should definitely know how a gun fits you before buying it... so that shouldn't be a reason. Things you only discover after buying it, like too much recoil, or not enough accuracy or reliability could be reasons, I guess. These are not the reasons most guns are sold, I'll warrant, since reliability and accuracy are fixable, usually with a very modest investment of skill and money.

Most guns are sold, I think, because people get bored with them. Or, they want money to finance a new purchase, which may also be a passing infatuation. Am I the only one who buys a firearm with the idea "til death do us part"? I would sell a gun I didn't really need to someone who DID need it as an act of altruism, but that is about the only way I'll ever part with one of mine willingly.

I feel sad for people who need to sell firearms to meet an emergency financial need. I've been in some tight spots, but always managed to get a temporary loan or some such until I could get my accounts in order - without having to part with cherished personal posessions. Understandably, not everyone is so fortunate or successful in that endeavor.

mrmeval
May 6, 2006, 12:34 PM
To eat
To pay rent
To pay for health care

I've sold them for food and I've sold them for rent and I may yet sell them for health care.

I just don't understand why people sell guns.

Soybomb
May 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
In the ideal world you'd get to rent a gun before you buy it, but sadly not all ranges have that great a selection. The end result for me is that while my sig 226 fits my hand really well and feels great I hate the trigger reset, its huge. I'm selling it to buy something else and oh yes it knows :D

Valkman
May 6, 2006, 04:31 PM
I've sold one gun, and regretted that, so no I don't know what you're talking about. :) I need me a shotgun though.

Rumble
May 6, 2006, 05:09 PM
I'm selling a couple of mine because they have been replaced as carry guns by a third one--the third one (a snub revolver) was supposed to be an occasional carry, when I didn't take my compact autos. Turns out that I liked carrying the snub much better. I'm a little peeved that it's going to the shop, but I still like it.

So I'm passing the others on to a relative who's interested. I guess that puts it in the "finding a good home" for unloved guns.

Working Man
May 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
So far I've only sold guns that I have purchased with that possibility in mind.
That being said, I must make sure that said gun does not see any real range
time. The more I shoot it the more it feels like a part of me and the less likely
I am to sell/trade it.

bruss01
May 8, 2006, 07:54 PM
To eat
To pay rent
To pay for health care

I've sold them for food and I've sold them for rent and I may yet sell them for health care.

So is the real problem "too many guns on hand" or is it really "too little money coming in for basic expenses"?

If it's the former, ok, but if the latter, you'd best be doing something about that before you run out of guns!

CajunBass
May 9, 2006, 02:43 PM
I'm not much more sentimental about a gun, than I am a toaster. They're just "things."

ball3006
May 9, 2006, 03:23 PM
SWMBO says I have to, under penalty of...............well.........you know:uhoh: ...........chris3

kfranz
May 9, 2006, 03:25 PM
I've got a few that were passed down that are essentially untouchable, but pretty much everything I've purchased myself would be up for grabs if the price was right. I have only sold a few in the last 10 or 12 years, but I follow CajunBass's line of thinking in that most of them are just hobby implements.

Hemicuda
May 10, 2006, 02:50 AM
What does SWMBO stand for?

Sell guns? all the time... but only the ones that were originally aquired as "trade bait? and with sale/trade as in original intention... (and even some of those have stayed and become keepers!)

AJAX22
May 10, 2006, 03:46 AM
I've given away more than I've sold, but I did pass along a m1 carbine to a buddy, swaped it for my first motorcycle. miss that one alot. I've sold a few handguns that I regretted, I figured I'd never need something that did this or that or was that tiney, but then a situation comes up where you you just need that specific feature.

Some guns you buy to make a little proffit, if its broken and you can fix it easy, or if some anti gun person is offing them for nothing just to get them out of the house.

Its nice to make a profit on something you don't much care for to finance something you really really want.

all that being said, I really miss my 1858 remington black powder that I sold to a buddy. I didn't like it much the one time I took it out on my own. but when I took it out with him it was wonderfull. go figure.

LadySmith
May 10, 2006, 04:27 AM
What does SWMBO stand for?
She Who Must Be Obeyed (wife, girlfriend, significant other)

I've never sold a gun & hope I never have to. It would probably drive me nuts trying to figure out which one to part with & might break my heart a little bit to actually do it. Each one is an investment of time, training and meaning to me. Yeah, I'm a bit sentimental.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do your guns know when they're next on the Chopping Block?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!