Help! My rifle is having an identity crisis!

PDA

proud2deviate
May 7, 2006, 06:23 PM
I was given this rifle the Christmas before last. It shoots way better than I do, and has about the sweetest trigger I could hope for. Action is bedded, barrel is floated. Chambered in 6.5x55; not too light, not too heavy. It is, in my opinion, a very fine weapon.

I only have two problems with it. Firstly, the abscence of a rear sight. I hate being dependant on a scope. Secondly, I have no idea what it is! People talk about their guns, and it usually goes like; "Oh, mine's a Remington 700 chambered in blah blah blah." When time comes for my turn at show n' tell, all I can stammer out is, "Uh, six point five by fifty five. . ."

If anyone out there could tell me the make and model of my rifle, I'd be eternally greatful. Here's some things that might not be clear from the pics:

Left side of the receiver is stamped "FN ACTION MADE IN BELGIUM"

The underside of the bolt handle is flattened and checkered.

The safety is the little tab directly behind the bolt handle. It's slightly rounded on top and serrated.

The stock isn't original (I remember my father fitting it.)

I've no idea if 6.5x55 is the original chambering

If you enjoyed reading about "Help! My rifle is having an identity crisis!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DougW
May 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
It is a commercial Mauser action and was manufactured by FN in Belgium. I have a similar rifle, which was built on the same commercial Mauser action by FN, in 30.06 with a Bishop Monte Carlo stock. These are very fine rifles, with excellant actions. When asked, I describe mine as a FN Custom Mauser, which is an accurate description. Mine was built in 1954.

proud2deviate
May 7, 2006, 06:43 PM
Wow, that was quick! Many thanks.

(I love THR. . .)

brianc
May 7, 2006, 06:45 PM
I don't know which mounts you have there. But Ashley Outdoors makes rear sight that sits in the scope mount. After the scope and rings have been removed.. Might be something to look for.
As for it being a 6.5X55 ( Swedish ) That round is the european counterpart of our vernerable 30-06! They take moose with that round! Don't feel bad about saying it. It's a great cartrage with LOTS of history! It has one of the best BC's of any round. Nothing to feel sorry about with this rifle.

proud2deviate
May 7, 2006, 07:25 PM
I don't know which mounts you have there. But Ashley Outdoors makes rear sight that sits in the scope mount. After the scope and rings have been removed.. Might be something to look for.

That sounds great. I'll keep an eye out.

As for it being a 6.5X55 ( Swedish ) That round is the european counterpart of our vernerable 30-06! They take moose with that round! Don't feel bad about saying it. It's a great cartrage with LOTS of history! It has one of the best BC's of any round. Nothing to feel sorry about with this rifle.

Oh, I'm absolutely fine with 6.5x55 . I was just tired of that being the only descriptor I had for the gun.

Chawbaccer
May 7, 2006, 07:40 PM
Is there maybe a dovetail cut in front of the scope? Maybe even a couple tapped screw holes?

proud2deviate
May 7, 2006, 08:20 PM
Is there maybe a dovetail cut in front of the scope? Maybe even a couple tapped screw holes?

Yes, as a matter of fact, there are two little set screws just foward of the scope. I never gave much thought to them. Are you thinking they're for a rear sight?

Chawbaccer
May 7, 2006, 10:33 PM
Those are keeper screws to keep the threads from getting messed up. If you get in touch with Brownnels they will help you out. The rear sight was probably removed because it interferred with the scope so you might have to choose one or the other.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help! My rifle is having an identity crisis!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!