AR-15 Mags: Best Value?

PDA

Drakejake
May 8, 2006, 06:26 PM
I am finally taking the AR-15 plunge and need to get some mags. As always, I am looking for the cheapest mags that work well. Any suggestions as to brands and/or dealers?

Thanks,

Drakejake

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Mags: Best Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
model 649
May 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
Look here: http://www.cproductsllc.com/
Josh

Gary G23
May 8, 2006, 08:26 PM
model 649 has given you good advice. I like their stainless mags but their aluminum mags are excellent and a great buy also.

kentucky_smith
May 8, 2006, 08:27 PM
www.44mag.com

The Real Hawkeye
May 8, 2006, 09:03 PM
You should look for the best functioning mags, regardless of price, even if it means you buy fewer. I believe that the AR 15 mags manufactured by Brownell's have a good reputation.

BozemanMT
May 8, 2006, 09:07 PM
Except for the HK SS overpriced ones, these are the best and the best price I've been able to find
and they have treated me very well

http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=247&prd=255

HTH

MechAg94
May 8, 2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm#5.56MM/.223_Magazines
I have one of the Hartford mags. I works okay.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magazines.html
I have had good luck with the D&H Industries mags. I have a dozen or so.

I believe these are the same brands on the sites posted above. Shop around.

model 649
May 8, 2006, 09:18 PM
Seems that until recently, the Brownell's mags came from C-Products. They apparently have parted ways if this thread from AR15.com is at all credible. Interesting...:scrutiny:
Josh

http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=277838

modifiedbrowning
May 8, 2006, 11:11 PM
www.dsgarms.com , but Cproducts or 44 mag usually have the best prices.

Will Learn
May 9, 2006, 12:06 AM
There are some new stainless 30rd mags by C Products that I've been looking at.

Don't Tread On Me
May 9, 2006, 12:26 AM
44mag.com has the USGI mags made by D&H. These are the teflon coated ones with the green follower.

Buy these. Forget anything else. There are others who sell them too, so choose your vendor, but the magazine is not a choice.

If you want an AR to work, and work well with peace of mind - get real USGI magazines.

The-Fly
May 9, 2006, 12:49 AM
in order of preference

1. Cproducts stainless mags with magpul follower
(the marlube is optional, but gives the mags a wicked black look to em )

2. Cproducts aluminum mags with magpul follower

3. D&H mags

4. DSG mags

other mags that i havent tried but have heard good stuff about are H&K mags (hugely overpriced though), okay industries mags, Center Industries mags. Dont bother getting manufacter branded mags, these are just rebrands of the above listed mags.

Whatever mags you get, get them teflon coated or marlube coated. The dry film coating sucks IMHO.

For other opinion on mags, check out this posting.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=163158

MechAg94
May 9, 2006, 10:08 AM
Don't Tread on Me, does D&H make mags for the military? I see a lot of people who say to buy "USGI" mags, but I have seen a lot of cheap, crappy mags advertised as "USGI". More so with other rifles than AR's, but with AR's also.

Gary G23
May 9, 2006, 10:28 AM
D&H mags have had some quality control issues. Read this:
http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=274718
I sold all my D&H mags and replaced them with C Products LLC mags.

The Real Hawkeye
May 9, 2006, 11:23 AM
Brownells is currently making them for the US Military. I think they are currently the best out there.

MechAg94
May 9, 2006, 02:33 PM
Has anyone had good luck with the Hartford mags? I have one. I had to file the tips of the feed lips just a little as they were too sharp were making it difficult for my Armalite to strip off rounds. It works fine now though. The reason I ask is that it looks very well made and put together.

I'll have to get a few of the Cproducts mags to try them. I'll get an SU-16 sooner or later so I can use that excuse to buy more mags. :)

SomeKid
May 9, 2006, 02:34 PM
Someone else posted this place, and I have to second it. I have a wad of mags (all the same type) and they all work perfectly.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm#5.56MM/.223_Magazines

Scroll down to the NHMTG USGI 30 rounders, they should be the next one down from the magpuls.

Having made a few purchases from EF, I can say they do ship rather quickly.

MechAg94
May 9, 2006, 02:52 PM
Okay, the NHTMG is the one I have, not Hartford. I am preparing to move so most of mags are packed up in the garage.

(I was thinking that most people might not like seeing ammo cans stacked in a closet when viewing a house.) :D

Drakejake
May 9, 2006, 04:12 PM
The C Products site lists mags with stainless springs but doesn't state what metal is used in the mag bodies. Am I missing something? Are people confusing stainless springs with stainless mags?

Thanks,

Drakejake

model 649
May 9, 2006, 04:25 PM
The site is kind of messy but look through all the pages of mags. They sell both types of spring in all their mags. The Au bodied mags are the first part of the list, the stainless mags start up about three pages into the mag list.
Bon apetite
Josh

MechAg94
May 9, 2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/media/element-pics/Au.jpg

:D

Drakejake
May 9, 2006, 04:39 PM
OK, model 649, now I see. Are these mags worth $18, 80% more than others which are available?

Thanks,

Drakejake

model 649
May 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
Not to me, they aren't. But then, I'm not too hard on equipment. The stainless are said to be more "droppable", and of course more corrosion resistant. A bit heavier, but many do like them. Try one and see, I guess.
Sorry, MechAg94....My heart was in the right place....
Josh

Drakejake
May 9, 2006, 05:35 PM
Are mags made by Colt recommended?

Drakejake

MechAg94
May 9, 2006, 05:52 PM
Sorry model 649. I knew what you meant. I just couldn't pass up the chance to give you a hard time about it. One of my many faults I have to work on. :)

I am interested in getting some steel mags. I'll have to look at the links later. Work internet blocks gun related sites.

model 649
May 9, 2006, 06:20 PM
Colt mags are likely jobbed out and private-labeled. If one of the good houses is doing them, and you don't mind paying extra for the "Colt" name stamped into the mag's bottom plate, go for it.
Josh

model 649
May 9, 2006, 06:24 PM
He said "hard time"! Always bustin' me chops!:neener:
Josh

Gary G23
May 9, 2006, 10:06 PM
"Are mags made by Colt recommended?"

Colt mags are made by Okay Industries who also makes the NHMTG mags. I can't see paying twice as much money for a mag just because it has a different name stamped on the floorplate.

Drakejake
May 10, 2006, 01:50 PM
I ordered the ten pack of 30 rounders from 44mag.com for $100, shipping included. Thanks for all the advice. A friend of mine recommended steel mags, but not stainless. But most AR mags seem to have aluminum bodies. I will get two mags with the DPMS Panther Lite, so if the ten ordered mags work, I will have enough.

Drakejake

blackhawk2000
May 10, 2006, 07:51 PM
Are the SS mags worth it? Read for yourself: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=23021&an=0&page=0#23021

ETA: Cproducts sells a regular SS spring, and a better chrome silicon spring. Both springs are the same price.

Drakejake
May 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
Blackhawk, I read the post but didn't see any report on how the SS mags and aluminum mags actually performed during firing. That is what counts for me since I don't go around dropping loaded mags on concrete. The cheaper CProduct mags were my second choice. I think I will wait for the 44mag.com product to come in for testing. If there are problems, I will consider alternatives.

Thanks,

Drakejake

Drakejake
May 10, 2006, 08:21 PM
I am awaiting the arrival of my first AR rifle, the DPMS Panther Lite. So I am reading about AR mags for the first time. I am surprised at all the discussion of followers, finishes, etc. Is it that difficult to get an AR to feed and fire reliably? I have been around the block with a jamming FAL, a problem I solved by adjusting the feed lips on a number of mags.

Drakejake

blackhawk2000
May 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
Read the whole post.

My findings were similar. I was among those that tested pre-production SS mags for C Products. They ran flawlessly using several different loads, in a variety of weapons. I stopped counting around 1k rounds. The weight was nearly indistinguishable from standard USGI mags and since the size is the same, the fit the usual carriers. I consider these to GTG for duty use. In talking with CP about their products, I have found that they are very pro Mil/LE and actually listen to the customer.

Mark and I have been shooting some of these for a while and find that they work as advertised so far. Then only observation that I have is that the exterior coating is a bit "chunky" in some instances.

So far we have had good results with the small sample (10)of mags we tested here.

Because the SS mag is larger inside, the reqular Gen 2 followers move around more than in a ALU mag so this follower was made.

FYI: The follower is not made by us but was based upon the Magpul Gen 1 Design. Biggest change you will notice is it has shorter legs.

That said we now have molded the Gen2 follower in a new long strand Nylon which shrinks less and now fits the SS mags perfect. We plan to be offering these along with ISMI springs as a SS upgrade kit and installed in C-Products SS bodies as complete mags shortly.

--------------------
Richard Fitzpatrick- Magpul Industries Corp

We have been using/testing 10 of the 30 round SS mags from C Products for about one month now. Basically, we just beat the crap out of them. Dropping them fully loaded, throwing them, burying them in the Vegas desert, etc. They have proven to be extremely durable and robust. They have functioned well in several different M4s.

I also gave some to the Security Forces guys to use in the M-16 qualification course, and they have also had very positive results. We are extremely impressed with them and many of my troops are ordering them to use on an upcoming deployment.

Dealing with Larry at C Products is also a great experience. He gives LEO/Military discount which are greatly appreciated, considering many of us our paying for our own gear to supplement what is issued.

I'm not affiliated with C Products at all, I just wanted to comment on what I feel is an outstanding product. All of my future magazine purchases will be the SS mag.

ETA: you have to be LEO or mil, or industry to post at 10-8. These guys are not keyboard commando's

Drakejake
May 10, 2006, 11:51 PM
OK, they work. But do they work better than $10 aluminum mags?

Drakejake

goon
May 11, 2006, 01:27 AM
Can't say for price but the ones I just got from Brownells feed and function perfectly. Most of them don't drop free from my AR though but this may be an issue of just breaking in brand new mags with a nearly new gun.

blackhawk2000
May 11, 2006, 11:45 PM
I guess it really depends on your definition of better. The 2 I have right now drop free, when empty. I just got them so I can't comment on how they run. The apearance of them is comparable to the D&H I have. Is it worth it to you to have a more durable metal used in your mags? That's really the question to answer I think. Is the value better? I think so. Add the price of the finish in, and the price of the magpul follower, and the price difference between the 2 is much closer.

Gary G23
May 12, 2006, 08:59 AM
One advantage of the stainless mags is that a fully loaded mag will seat easier on a closed bolt than an aluminum mag. This is because the stainless mag has more room inside due to being made of thinner metal.

Drakejake
May 12, 2006, 09:35 AM
I have just ordered some no-name steel mags from CDNN. When they all arrive, I will have fifteen mags, plus two coming with the DPMS Panther Lite rifle, to work with.

Drakejake

Bartholomew Roberts
May 12, 2006, 09:48 AM
I have just ordered some no-name steel mags from CDNN.

Probably not the best move; but let us know how they work. I imagine they are USA mags.

blackhawk2000
May 12, 2006, 07:17 PM
They definately have more room in them. I got 31 rounds in. It was tight but it fit. I also do not have a problem loading full mags of 30 into my AR when the bolt is closed. Some do, some don't.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Mags: Best Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!