What is your favorite gun magazine and why ??

PDA

Safety First
January 3, 2003, 10:00 PM
If you want to lear about guns,and accessories,gain knowledge of of how to safely/responsibly handle a gun,then what magazine do you reccomend?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your favorite gun magazine and why ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WonderNine
January 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
The Highroad

Gewehr98
January 3, 2003, 10:12 PM
They don't seem to be beholding to anybody. And they're not afraid to write a critical review of something, either.

5ptdeerhunter
January 3, 2003, 10:15 PM
I have read a few articles in GUNS, but I don't have a subscription to any.

I am going to be joining the NRA very soon and I didn't know what magazine of the three to choose. I am thinking about going for the american riflemen. Is it good?

Redlg155
January 3, 2003, 10:17 PM
I read "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" a lot these days. They have stuff I can only drool over.

At the same time I must admit it is a bit scary to think that police these days actually need and can own full auto HK .223 SMGs while we can't.

Well..maybe they don't need, but that never stopped them.

Good Shooting
RED

Kahr carrier
January 3, 2003, 10:18 PM
Soldier of fortune -because they do a lot of gun tests on Eastern bloc -guns.:evil:

photo_guy
January 3, 2003, 10:46 PM
I subscribe to American Handgunner. The articles are pretty good but the photography is great! There are typically one or two articles with photos by Ichiro Nagata that make me drool. He does very nice work.

Schuey2002
January 3, 2003, 10:58 PM
This thread might be helpful...:)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1339&highlight=small+arms+review

Hk Paul
January 3, 2003, 11:47 PM
SOF Mag. I love their articles. Well written. Wide viriety from a gun revew to spec ops in afganland.

Derek Zeanah
January 4, 2003, 12:02 AM
SOF's the only one I subscribe to -- when I was in the service they were the only outfit with a clue as to what was going on.

Occasionally pick up a SWAT, as well.

Idaho
January 4, 2003, 12:28 AM
Favorite magazine? Any one that is topped up with cartridges, of course - usually an 8 round HK P7 mag for me.

NotQuiteSane
January 4, 2003, 12:35 AM
I've found Combat Handguns the most usefull overall.

NQS

Fatcat
January 4, 2003, 01:52 AM
I have yet to find a magazine that even came close to the resources [that were] available at TFL, and now here.

Mike Irwin
January 4, 2003, 01:54 AM
The only one I still get, and read -- American Rifleman.

ed dixon
January 4, 2003, 03:31 AM
I enjoy Guns of the Old West. It's only a quarterly, but has some nice features about the lore, characters and firearms of the period. Grab others on a fairly random basis. Just like most photography magazines, it does seem that product reviews are invariably positive and often fawning.

sixgun_symphony
January 4, 2003, 03:57 AM
Handloader magazine (http://www.riflemagazine.com/)

This is the most informative gun magazine published today.

Tady45
January 4, 2003, 10:31 AM
Small Arms Review, American Handgunner, Combat Handguns, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, Swat, Yes, I know, I have had a few g/friends mention how much $$$ I spend on these...

Larry :neener:

FLM
January 4, 2003, 11:16 AM
Handguns seems to be improving since Jerry Lee became editor. High Road member Dan C Johnson writes good articles and they've gotten away from the OSS% baloney.

shootingfarm
January 4, 2003, 11:23 AM
American Handgunner

Paul

Soap
January 4, 2003, 11:23 AM
S.W.A.T actually has articles that I find helpful. I suppose it is because it doesn't focus on magic swords, rather it focusing on training. Of course they review different gear but its not a gear-based magazine.

I compare many of the other mags to a car modification magazine where all they did was review wrenches...

Carbon_15
January 4, 2003, 11:47 AM
Petersons Handguns...but mostly because I have been featured in it:cool: and know most of the staff.

para.2
January 4, 2003, 12:36 PM
My fave is a 33 round Glock 18 mag. It looks SO tactical!
...Ohhh! You mean to read?:o

perry
January 4, 2003, 03:26 PM
Shotgun news

Chvelle
January 4, 2003, 05:25 PM
Right now I only subscribe to www.Gun-Tests.com magazine. They're like the Consumer Reports for the gun crowd. They don't carry ads, so they don't cater to the manufactures. If the gun sucks, then they tell you.

Sean Smith
January 4, 2003, 05:59 PM
Sadly, Gun Tests is pretty ignorant in general. Unbiased? Yes. Clueless? Yes.

Robby from Long Island
January 4, 2003, 06:37 PM
I would probably have to say "Shooting times" is probably my favorite while I occasionally buy "American Handgunner".

I'm really not interested in tactical stuff, am more interested in rifles than handguns and more interested in varmint rifles than AR's. JMHO.

Safe shooting.

MountainPeak
January 4, 2003, 07:17 PM
Just about all of them except for Gun Tests. The editor was insulting and rude to anyone that happened to want the S&W/Clinton agreement reversed. He basically said if we didn't like his stand to leave. I did. I never thought the reviews were of much value anyway!

Gila Jorge
January 4, 2003, 07:22 PM
I get Rifle and Handloader from Wolfe. Also read American Handgunner and Peterson's Hunting. Take
Gun List and Bugle from Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation.

rommel
January 4, 2003, 09:37 PM
small arms review for me they have some great ak articles in some of them :D

Rich Lucibella
January 4, 2003, 10:01 PM
Sigh! ;)
Rich

PATH
January 4, 2003, 10:07 PM
Alright Rich you convinced me. Come Monday I am signing up for a subscription with SWAT Magazine.

By the way it is nice to see you here!:)

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 11:15 PM
I love guns but I can't see my way to paying to read about them every month. I prefer to USE them, not just look at them. :D I don't even subscribe to martial art magazines and I have ton of them! However, if Beretta came out with a magazine, I might be persuaded....:p

jimmy
January 4, 2003, 11:21 PM
Man at Arms is my fave. Fascinating articles, interesting illustrations, good book reviews.

mack
January 5, 2003, 12:50 AM
Shotgun News and Gun List, don't subscribe but pick them up 3 or 4 times a year. Get American Rifleman of course, but I wouldn't subscribe to it as a stand alone publication.

nascarnhlnra
January 5, 2003, 08:30 AM
WHY S.W.A.T. ofcourse ...you mean there are others worth reading.:D

Tamara
January 5, 2003, 08:41 AM
For reading? S.W.A.T.

For looking at the pretty pictures? American Handgunner

sm
January 6, 2003, 12:28 AM
Will be getting SWAT in near future.
Have read back issues of a friends,
WHY: what you don't know CAN kill you .

Kentucky Rifle
January 6, 2003, 10:12 AM
But I buy any other one that has a review or something else I want to read.
When I go shopping with the wife, she get's the food and I go to the magazine rack. :)

KR

Scott Evans
January 6, 2003, 10:28 PM
SWAT

No fluf ...

Great all around content.

WhoKnowsWho
January 7, 2003, 12:27 AM
I like American Handgunner

Ohhh, nice centerfold. :D

Don Gwinn
January 7, 2003, 04:00 PM
Oh, suuuuurrre. Rich pops his head in and suddenly every post is "I like SWAT!" and "Nothing but SWAT for me!"

You people are fooling nobody.
:neener:

TheeBadOne
January 7, 2003, 04:06 PM
At the same time I must admit it is a bit scary to think that police these days actually need and can own full auto HK .223 SMGs while we can't.

I think you're a little confused. LE agencies can own full-auto weapons and issue them to their officers, but officers themselves can not own full-auto guns unless they have the same FFL that you'd need to own one. The only "extra" thing they get to personally own is aslt rifles with the "bad" stuff on them, ie: flash suppresor, bayonet mount, etc. They can buy a new rifle with that stuff on it now. Those rifles are ususally marked "LE Rifle" or some such thing. I guess they could assemble the same thing from parts legally too.

AmericanFreeBird
January 7, 2003, 04:20 PM
"The Shooting Times" has excellent precision reloading columns and "Americas First Freedom" from the NRA.

:D

DrDremel
January 7, 2003, 08:39 PM
Small Arms Review is by far the best.

TheeBadOne
January 7, 2003, 09:04 PM
15 round Glock .40 cal

Because it holds a lotta rounds :D

H&K Fan
January 10, 2003, 03:17 AM
American Rifleman.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your favorite gun magazine and why ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!