Pre-1899 SBR?

PDA

PAC 762
May 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know if a pre-1899 "antique" rifle can have the barrel cut down below 16" without filing a form 4 and paying the tax? I just saw something online and the author said they were regulated the same as muzzel loaders.... got me thinking a little. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre-1899 SBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
May 9, 2006, 12:11 AM
Under federal law, firearms manufactured prior to 1898 are considered "antique" firearms and therefore do not fall under the NFA regulations.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, do not play one on TV and will not serve your jail time should this information prove inaccurate or you are nailed under some state or local regulation. :evil:

Jim Watson
May 9, 2006, 12:19 AM
While the ORIGINAL 14" Trapper lever actions and some other SBRs fall under C&R status on an INDIVIDUAL "cleared" basis, just being an antique does not mean it is OK for you to saw off a cartridge rifle.

If in doubt, check with the Feds:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec3.htm

dmckean44
May 9, 2006, 12:33 AM
C&R weapons fall under completely different rules than pre-1899 antiques. It'd be best to contact the BATF in wrinting and ask.

PAC 762
May 9, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks, but I think my state laws are going to get in the way. :(

Third_Rail
May 9, 2006, 09:31 PM
It works, but only if you can prove that it was like that before 1899. Them's the breaks. I would just use a muzzleloader - no NFA restrictions.

Bartholomew Roberts
May 9, 2006, 09:53 PM
Another issue (as you noticed) is state laws, even if you are exempt from the NFA, you may still be subject to state laws.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pre-1899 SBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!