Why have we seen so many new users and guests

PDA

sturmruger
May 9, 2006, 10:38 AM
Wow I was just checking out the stats at the bottom of the page and was shocked to see that we have 684 guest on THR as of right now! Did THR get some extra exposure somewhere or is this just a natural progression of our growth??

If you enjoyed reading about "Why have we seen so many new users and guests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
May 9, 2006, 10:44 AM
I don't know. But my "gut feel" (not looking at any reports) is that we're seeing about twice as many people as we did 6 months ago.

'Card
May 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
Two words: Critical Mass

sm
May 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
Internet Search Engine "hits".

My observations:

First noticed new folks around Election Time, Nat'l of course, along with State, County, Local elections. Including , not limited to RKBA , CCW, and Civil Rights. Kelo case just one example.

Hurricanes [Katrina, NOLA...etc] caused a spike - I was seeing folks in libraries finding THR as a result of Searching various Engines. Subjects ranging from FEMA, Prepardness, Leaving (Bugging-Out/BoB's).

THR , TFL and sister sites are Global Libraries.

Hence the reason we suggest reading the Rules of Conduct one agrees to upon registration to THR, TFL and sister sites. How do we want our posts to be percieved and what perception do we present in posting? Should be a question we ask before we hit the "submit" tab.

Remember the Search Engine? We have Tyranny folks searching to find anything to use against Mission Statements of THR, TFL and sister sites.

Great Example - HOT TOPIC for searches.

Illegal Immigration.

I am in my College Library, student needed assistance with getting a USB Flashdrive to work ( bad port, used another one). I could not help but see her screen...

Her Search went to TFL, Where Lawdog posted a reply to a heated thread in regard to Illegal Immigrants and Lawdog suggested "back up with cites and documentation, we on TFL will call you out for statements you cannot back up".

Another browser had Rich's Illegal Immigration thread being read.

Global Libaries and Resource rooms, we all know how to behave in these.

Do a search on "Katrina", "NOLA", "Gun Control", "Waco" (anniversary in April, folks young then - wanting to read up now)...etc. THR ,TFL and sister sites will get a "hit".

You will recognize not only MY username, others as well.

Who knows how many folks NOT registered members use this and sister sites.

Steve

Mal H
May 9, 2006, 01:49 PM
I think Steve is right. I have noticed that almost a quarter of our "Guests" are spiders from Google, Yahoo, etc. That means they are collecting data for their databases and therefore would yield more hits on THR for their users. More users aware of THR = more users viewing and subsequently signing up.

sm
May 9, 2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/Technical%252BSupport%252B%25252B%252BTHR/1/-/1/-/-/-/1/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/417/top/-/-/-/1

:)

Technical Support [Archive] - THR
[Archive] Suggestions and Questions for the Staff.
www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/f-18.html

:D

Ain't the 'Net great!

For fun do one on "Mutant Zombies" *smirk*

Steve

full auto seer
May 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
Is there any difference between 'lurking' as a guest or as a member?
I mean from a server/maintenance perspective.
-seer-
p.s. thank you, thank you, thank you for this resource.
"Global Libraries" just makes me tingle....

Mal H
May 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
"Is there any difference between 'lurking' as a guest or as a member?"

Not much. Guests require slightly less resources and bandwidth, but not enough to make a noticable difference. IOW, if all Guests were logged in as members, the bandwidth usage would be a little higher and DB queries per page would be noticably higher, but the additional cycles required wouldn't make much difference in page load time. So having 1,000 users online (not unusual these days) whether they are all members, all guests or a mix of the two, is a big load on the server.

real_name
May 10, 2006, 05:40 PM
Guests can't search though (IIRC), and it is the searches that slow us down (again, IIRC).

If you enjoyed reading about "Why have we seen so many new users and guests" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!