Steel Ammo in HK91

PDA

mudstud
May 10, 2006, 06:53 PM
Is it safe and harmless to the rifle to fire steel cased ammo in an HK91, what with the fluted chamber? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Ammo in HK91" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NMshooter
May 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
No big deal at all.

You could even reload brass cartridge cases if you get an ejection port buffer.

Without the buffer those rifles tend to dent the case mouth and bend the case.

Chipperman
May 10, 2006, 08:43 PM
I don't shoot steel cases in mine, but there's no law against it (yet).

It will cause more wear than brass cases, but the difference is probably negligible.

longhorngunman
May 10, 2006, 09:15 PM
NM shooter, really? I love my PTR but one strike against it is the way it mangles the brass, heck the PTR even puts ripples in the case, my Cetme never did that just the usual powder stripes down the side. Got a link for the buffer.
Mudstud, I've always gotten cheap brass surplus to run in mine so I haven't used the steel yet. Never heard of any issues besides some of the first batch of .308 from Wolf. It might be steel case but it is very mild steel while your bolt and extractor are much harder than the case.

Onmilo
May 11, 2006, 08:18 AM
I tried some Chinese steel case ammunition in my PTR.
It functioned just fine but I still have reservations.
The only .308 rifle I feel comfortable shooting steel case ammunition in, without worry, is my Saiga .308

NMshooter
May 11, 2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry, no link for the buffer, but it is an external piece that clips to the receiver, placing a piece of rubber right behind the ejection port.

Never had one myself, but they work well.

I believe only H&K ever made them.

Chipperman
May 11, 2006, 11:12 PM
POF normally has them, but they appear to be out right now.

http://www.pof-usa.com/hk91pl.htm

Give them a call to see if/when they will have more.

longhorngunman
May 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Steel Ammo in HK91" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!