Heavy duty 44 mag and 357 mag loads for both rifle and pistol

PDA

achildofthesky
May 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hey ya'll;

Looking for some opinions and loads for both 44magnum and 357 rifles and there sidekick pistols. The rifles are both davidsons limited edition marlin 1894 in SS with 16 1/2" barrels. The 44 companion handgun is a ss Ruger vaquero and I am pondering a security six (cheap, reasonably strong) or one of the scandium/unobtanium S&W pack guns (like the super light for backpacking and just packing in general).

I wonder if anyone would care to share some really heavy hunting loads for both of these setups. I am not recoil/muzzle blast sensitive and hope to find common ammo for both for brushy woods hunting for pigs, deer at relatively short range and the like. I know the 357 may be on the lighter side for deer but damn the rifle is handy light and the fire sights are pretty nice.

Also, how about plinking fodder loads for general use. Both setups will likely keep the current open sights maybe with a peep/receiver sight.

Anyway, thanks for the space and looking forward to the ideas.

Patty

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy duty 44 mag and 357 mag loads for both rifle and pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griz
May 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
Since you asked here I am assuming you are looking for factory rounds instead of handloads. If limited to short range, I think the 357 is underrated from a carbine. The 44 is even better. Buffalo Bore and Federal both load a heavy weight bullet suitable for deep penetration. I like ordainary JHPs for deer, 158 for the 357 and 240 for the 44. But I have only used them on deer, no pigs near me.

Brian Williams
May 10, 2006, 10:29 PM
Check out Lil' Gun, it shines in 357, try 18gr under 158 Gr LSWCGC. Do so under your own risk, it is a hoot. Typical disclaimer, any load is to be worked up for your own gun.

roscoe
May 11, 2006, 01:24 AM
Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, and Double-Tap all make pretty hot ammo in those calibers.

With that ammo, .357 from a rifle is serious business up to 100 yards.

pete f
May 11, 2006, 12:49 PM
If you are into reloading, find a copy of Pet Loads by Ken Waters. He has complete chapters on carbine loads for 357 and 44 that are safe in heavy handguns.

Speer and Hornady have had listings in the manuals too about Ruger only listings for both. Lyman's 48th has several loadings and information about carbine loads as well as revolver loads.

As far as factory loads, I have had good success on deer with the plain jane green box remington 240 grain SP's. At carbine velocity, they open very well and usually go right thru a deer leaving a easy to follow blood trail.

I have not tried the new 275 grain Core Lokts. I have heard reports that they will turn a feral dog inside out.

On larger game, like wild pigs, I have had very good luck using the LBT style WFP 270 grainers. when loaded hot, these will seriously rock you when you touch one off, but will drill a four foot or longer hole thru pork.

Richard.Howe
May 11, 2006, 12:59 PM
Don't overlook Double Tap ammo:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_35

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_27

Rich

ball3006
May 11, 2006, 01:08 PM
work up a load that is the most accurate in both the pistol and rifle. The biggest bang in the world isn't going to do you any good if it is not accurate.......chris3

Legionnaire
May 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
Assuming you don't hand load, check out Georgia Arms' "Deer Stopper" ammo. It packs a pretty good punch.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/deer.htm

svtruth
May 11, 2006, 01:53 PM
and I was thinking of getting a matching carbine. In readung up on it I stumbled on the Buffalo Bore web site. They claim that the 1:38 rifling in Henry and Marlin barrels will not stabilize a slug of more than 270gr. Anyone with more experience care to comment?

If you enjoyed reading about "Heavy duty 44 mag and 357 mag loads for both rifle and pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!