Questions about a Kel-Tec Sub2000

PDA

1911user
May 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
How good or bad is the trigger pull on a Kel-Tec sub2K? Is it adjustable? This would be for older children. I'm thinking about one in 9mm that uses glock mags if it makes a difference. Any weaknesses to this particular model? Are they ammo sensitive?

Thanks in advance for not turning this into a debate about pistol-caliber carbines; I'm well aware of the general strong and weak points.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about a Kel-Tec Sub2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Domino
May 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
I ahve a Glock gripped SUb 2000 in 9mm and the trigger is not particularly great, it probably breaks around 7 or 8 pounds. You can send it to Kel-Tec and they will adjust it to a better pull, but I'm not sure to what.

There are no drawbacks to mine as it is quite accurate and fun to shoot. They do feel a little akward at first but once you put about 100 rounds downrange with one you will be pretty proffecient with it. Mine has digested every ammo I have tried except Brown Bear 145g SP.

3 gun
May 11, 2006, 12:39 PM
It starts out as crap but does smooth out with use. At best it's like a NY trigger on a Glock. Truth is it's not really an issue on a PCC. Even with my off the scale trigger pull, 2" groups at 25yds are no problem and hitting an IDPA target out to 100yds is almost to easy. Great little carbine for the money. Just stay away from the KT scope mount, they make the triggers look good. It takes a little aftermarket work to mount a red dot or scope but it is worth it. It makes the S2k an every range trip gun. Really it is hard to put down.

http://www.members.aol.com/gse1100/OhioTFL/KTs2k1.jpg

Onslaught
May 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
As long as the kids aren't left-handed, I think it's a great choice.

I have one in .40, but I'm selling it because I'm a leftie. Not all left handed Sub2K owners have experienced this problem, so maybe some do it more than others, or maybe it's the caliber, but I get a face full of hot gas and sparks when I shoot. Mostly around the nose, mouth, and chin area, so I keep smelling burned hair and think my goatee is on fire!:uhoh:

My Son and Nephew (14 and 11, both righties) had a really good time shooting it though, and were not even close to ready to quit when we ran out of ammo. The .40 wasn't bad at all, so I'm sure the 9mm will be a kittycat.

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
May 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
Hey, 3 Gun....

What mount is it you have on there?

Harry Paget Flashman
May 11, 2006, 01:48 PM
I've got a KelTec Sub2000 in 9mm that's Glock compatible. It's a fun gun to shoot. It's very reliable with the standard 17 round mags but doesn't feed reliably with the 33 round mags even though those same mags work in my Glock 17.

Doug S
May 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
I like the Sub 2000 (G17 grip) very much. Mine works as well with the 33 rounders as with the 17. In fact I've probably used the 33 round mags more than the 17. I have 300-350 flawless rounds through it so far, including Silvertip HP.

1911user
May 11, 2006, 05:47 PM
Good info! Keep it coming. Are 33 round mags a problem for others? Factory 33rd mags are part of the attraction for the 9mm version. I could use G17 mags, but G18 mags look like more fun.

It sounds like the trigger needs break-in shooting; tough job, guess I'll have to do that...:D

michiganfan
May 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
33 round mags work great in mine. It is configured for the glock 17 mags. it is a fun gun. As said by others it goes to the range every time. It is dead on accurate. It wil be a purchase you wont regret.

Doug S
May 11, 2006, 09:37 PM
Seems like most all of the threads that I've read recently indicate that the Subs work flawlessly regardless of the magazine.

rangerruck
May 12, 2006, 02:33 AM
i had one that took beretta mags. dont tighten the screws tight around the mag well, this will help the mags feed better. also you can get a front rail hanger piece , and a butstock add on , both from keltec, the xtra lenght of pull really helps. Also get some of that ac pipe foam and super glue it onto the steel tube stock. that way it wont look like you've been punching yourself in the cheek after about 100 rds.

1911user
May 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
Just an update.

I found a lightly used sub2K that used G17 mags last weekend. The stock extension is already on order; it should fit the kids nicely though. It's a neat little rifle. The trigger pull is easily 8+ pounds, but isn't a big problem.

Manedwolf
May 24, 2006, 12:13 AM
Where did you find the stock extension? It's not orderable from the Kel-Tec site, and every place on the web I'd looked was out of them.

Oh, and the Kel-Tec picatinny rail mod takes about ten seconds to put on, doesn't change the profile of the thing at all.

rangerruck
May 24, 2006, 04:01 AM
they usually have a little booklet when you buy the rifle, with accesories you can get for them, it shows the butstock ext. Also , believe it or not, a regular m4 rubberized pad for the collapsible stocks will fit it as well, with a little tugging on your part.

1911user
May 24, 2006, 07:39 AM
Here's where I ordered the stock extension and rail:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2503;action=display;num=1144727732

The parts should be in the mail now. The forum covers many kel-tec subjects including the sub2k.

Manedwolf
May 24, 2006, 08:58 AM
Re: 1911user - Thanks!

Juna
May 24, 2006, 04:05 PM
What version do you guys recommend in the Sub2000 9mm? I was thinking Glock 17 version assuming glock accessories are readily available and probably cheaper than other versions. Also, higher capacity with the 33 rounders.

Anyone have a different version, and why? I guess the only reason I'd get another version would be if I had a pistol using the same mags. But since they don't make a CZ 75 version, I'd probably get the G17 version.

1911user
May 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
The only glock accessories that would matter are the mags and maybe a glock mag loader. Everything else is kel-tec specific. The glock 17 model is probably the better choice unless you already use another type of 9mm mag. The glock 18 (33rd) factory mags are perfect for the sub2k.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about a Kel-Tec Sub2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!