Savage Model 99

PDA

Polishrifleman
May 11, 2006, 01:32 PM
I just picked one up with the Butt Plate missing. Can anyone tell me if they designed a Butt Plate for the Model 99 with a hinged door? This looks to have some type of storage place in the stock that you would access. I haven't taken the Butt Plate off of any of the other 99's yet to see if this is a weight reduction method or if I should be looking for a Butt Plate I haven't seen on any of my 99's before.

Thanks ahead of time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hoghunting
May 11, 2006, 02:05 PM
The buttplates were not hinged on the 99. The "storage area" that you are seeing is the hole that the stock bolt goes through. If you shine a light in the hole, you will see the head of the bolt that mounts the stock to the receiver. It's the same for most shotguns and lever guns.

Polishrifleman
May 11, 2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks Hog Hunting, this is actually a different chamber if I might call it that. I will see if I can post pictures by the weekend. I did take a look at this earlier and 4 holes, 2 for Butt Plate Screws, 1 for stock removal and one hollow about 6 inches deep that looks like it would hold something, or as stated maybe weight reduction and the reason for the missing plate.

Detritus
May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
i beleive Some pre-WW2 99's were made with a butt trap.

go Here (http://www.savageshooters.net/SavageForum/index.php) and ask the guys in the "savage lever action" forum about this. there are a couple of guys there who've managed to get just about every variation of teh savage 99, including one guy who has a VERY early 1895 in 30-40 Krag in cavalry carbine like config.

Polishrifleman
May 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, will do.

hoghunting
May 11, 2006, 11:03 PM
Sorry Polish, the only 99s that I have seen don't have the extra hole that you described. My mistake.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Model 99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!