K31 scope mount at AIM

PDA

BillinNH
May 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
AIMSurplus now lists a clamp-on scope mount for the K31 ($70.00). I can't tell from the photos whether this is offset or centered on the barrel's center line. Anyone know anything about it ?

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 scope mount at AIM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
May 11, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yea, it's offset. It has to be to clear the shell ejection.

BillinNH
May 11, 2006, 09:57 PM
<Yea, it's offset. It has to be to clear the shell ejection.>

Well, that's too bad. Guess I have to go with a Scout type mount.

Any recommendations on a high eye relief scope? I am using a 2x 20 on my MN model38 but would like to have more optical power for the K31 because I expect to use it at longer ranges.

Bill

longhorngunman
May 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
There's nothing wrong with having an offset mount. I put one on a K31 and it works really well. BTW if these are the St. Marie's mounts for $70.00, thats a really good deal. I thing I paid more than that from Brownells even with my dealer discount.

cracked butt
May 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
Since the rifle doesn't have a high monte carlo style comb, the offset to the right actually feels pretty natural. The mount looks like a model made by Accumount, I have a similar mount from the same manufacturer, but with a shorter mounting rail and like it a lot. I didn't think much of the rings, I have much better rings than the ones provided with the mount, and put the cheapo rings in my parts drawer. The longer rail would be nice if you want to shoot the rifle prone and get plenty of distance between your brow and the scope.

BillinNH
May 12, 2006, 07:28 AM
<There's nothing wrong with having an offset mount.>

I admit that I don't have experience with an offset mount. But it seems to me that the POI will be off in windage at all ranges except where it is zeroed. This seems impractical to me, especially on a rifle as accurate as the K31. For example , if the offset from barrel centerline to scope centerline is one inch, and I zero at 100 yards, my windage error ranges from an inch at the muzzle to zero at 100 to an inch in the other direction at 200 yards. That's certainly not what I would call an accurate arrangement.

Am I missing something? I already have to compensate for elevation as a function of range. Why would I also want to have to correct for windage? Seems like a step backward to me. Please educate me. I'm always willing to learn.

Bill

billcavazos
May 12, 2006, 07:40 AM
It does not matter where the scope is. It will always be offset, whether its just above the receiver like most, under the reciever, to the right side or left. The only real difference is the distance from center of crosshairs to center of barrel. Do you get it now....

jd46561
May 12, 2006, 07:50 AM
On the swissrifles.com forum , alot of the guys are using the ST.Marie clamp on mount and loving them.

BillinNH
May 12, 2006, 08:00 AM
<It does not matter where the scope is. It will always be offset, whether its just above the receiver like most, under the reciever, to the right side or left. The only real difference is the distance from center of crosshairs to center of barrel. >

I agree with what you say but unless the offset is directly above or below the barrel centerline there will be an error in windage as well as an error in elevation. If the scope is only offset vertically, there is no error in windage, only elevation.

See my point?

Bill

Oldnamvet
May 12, 2006, 08:15 AM
I also intend to put a scope on my K-31. I have shot rifles with offset scopes before. It seems the best is to set it to hit exactly parallel with the barrel. In other words, it will always shoot exactly 1.5" (or so) to the right of the POI (depending on how far the crosshairs are from your center of barrel). OR you could start a new trend and hold the rifle gangsta style sideways???:evil:

BillinNH
May 12, 2006, 09:15 AM
< OR you could start a new trend and hold the rifle gangsta style sideways???>

I LOVE it! :D

Maybe I'll check the swissrifle forum, as suggested, and ask those guys what they do.

But in the meantime I'll either go with a Mojo peep or a scout type scope.

If worse comes to worse, can I drill and tap (Gasp!) and install a conventional scope directly over the barrel centerline?

Am I going to have the same problem when I get a Swedish Mauser (currently top of my wish list)?

Bill

Firehand
May 12, 2006, 10:25 AM
Negative. Only way to have a scope directly over the bore is a forward mount, since the K31 ejects straight up & back.

BillinNH
May 12, 2006, 11:52 AM
<Negative. Only way to have a scope directly over the bore is a forward mount, since the K31 ejects straight up & back.>

Vey good point, Firehand. I think someone else mentioned this, too.

OK, it's a Scout type scope for me. Need recommendations on a scope if anyone has one.

Thanks.

Bill

MechAg94
May 12, 2006, 07:19 PM
I have a Leupold scope that is looking for a home. I think I found it.

If you want cheap, I got a Simmons 1.5-5X for about $60. Close enough for govt work. If not, do get something better.

wrc
May 13, 2006, 07:55 PM
The Mojo K31 sight works well. I've only used the rear sight on the K31, not the forward 'additional' ring.

Get some locktite for the screws once you sight it in. The elevation screw was loose on mine. At the next outing after sighting in, it started drifting up and down slightly.

BillinNH
May 13, 2006, 08:47 PM
<The Mojo K31 sight works well. I've only used the rear sight on the K31, not the forward 'additional' ring.>

Looks like I'll try the rear mojo. Wish I could get a fiber optic front sight to go with it.

BTW, has anyone noticed that AIM does NOT have any K31s listed on their site any more? Has the well finally run dry?

They're still listing the ammo, though.

Bill

MechAg94
May 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
I noticed the lack of K31's also. They started listing the bayonets again after they had taken those off for a while. I asked about them when I bought a WASR and he checked and found one. I guess you can ask them, but there are other companies with similar prices.

Personally, I like the stock iron sights on the K31. They are small, but very precise and easy to use accurately. If you are far sighted or have other issues, I guess an aperture sight is the next best thing though. I did go ahead and buy the scope mount to play around some.

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 scope mount at AIM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!