To buy or not to buy...

PDA

RWMC
May 12, 2006, 09:16 PM
My oldest son recently enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves. He is scheduled to go to basic training in early June. Would I be helping or possibly hurting him if I were to buy a standard AR-15 A2 DPMS to let him practice? He would only have 10 days to practice from the time he returns home from college in Florida to the time he leaves for basic. I have had no military training with the AR-15 or M-16, although I have fired both. So, should I buy one to give him some practice time, or should I just let his Uncle Sam provide for his rife experience ( with the M-16, that is ) with all of that good ole tax payer ammo? I'm just a concerned ( and proud ) Dad wanting to do whats best for my son. Thanks for all of your input. I do appreciate your time in responding.

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy or not to buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cueball
May 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
With only a 10 day window, I wouldn't do it. Let the military start him off on the right foot with development of proper habits.

Preacherman
May 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
I'd say that ten days is just long enough for him to learn bad habits! Instead of buying him the gun, why not look at whether any rifle/carbine courses are available? He could use a "loaner" rifle and get some decent training as well, for probably not much difference from the cost of buying one.

Selfdfenz
May 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
Having never been in the service my opinion is less applicable than say some of the members that have, but.....

I would say a better justification for the purchase should be your desire to own the unit.

The military has an established record of taking people w/o any past shooting experience and training them to capably handle their weapon(s). Whether he ends up as good as York or Hathcock will not be decided by ten days of plinking unless you are a trained trainer and he is a prodigy.:) There is also the chance you may just succeed in helping him pick up vices he will have to unlearn in boot camp.

You might accomplish about the same amount of good getting him get some hammer time with a decent 22. Hopefully he won't pick up a flinch or start closing his eyes.

If I were in your boots and it was my kid the most Id do is the 22 for 1 day BUT.. much more likely I spend no time at the range but rather fishing, spending time doing some stuff he likes to do etc.

In this world we live in how you spend those ten days may be important in the future in ways you cant see now.

S-

S-

mothernatureson
May 12, 2006, 11:34 PM
Being a veteran(Army), I remember my dad seeing me off. He shook my hand and said, "Just don't let them know who you are". Meaning, keep to your training and stay in line. Good advice. Since my dad is now gone(WWII) vet, I would have rather spent more time with him. Why don't you spend some time together and savor the time you have. Buy the rifle if you want, and shoot it when he comes home on leave, etc. I was issued the m16, guess it was an alright arm. Good luck,

mothernatureson

MagnumCaliber357
May 13, 2006, 12:17 AM
I remeber a history channel (what else is good on TV) special, and they were taking about scout/snipers. They said that in the qualifications, all they guys that had previous hunting and target practice experence scored lower then those who never fired a rifle. The scout/snipers are the majority of guys that have never fired a rifle before basic. Firing a rifle is a skill that can be taught and harnessed by our qualified guys in the Armed forces, therefore you shouldnt bother. BUT i would suggest getting one for yourself, AR-15 are awfully fun!!

I myself am going into the navy and have been restraining myself from target practice so i can harness this skill aswell :evil:

RWMC
May 13, 2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks to all. I will not buy for now. My son has fired Trapdoors, SKS, AK, Winchester 9422. I feel like I am tossing him to the lions, going into the military when our president is now wanting to get us even deeper in the middle east (Iran). But he did ask my opinion of him going in. I told him I appreciated him asking me, and because of that, if he wanted to still enlist that I would back him 100%. Enjoy your family fellas.

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy or not to buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!