Colt AR-15 A2...

PDA

Dacoda
May 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
A shop that I went to today has an ar-15 a2 on the rack, used, for $1000. Not sure of the condition. it looked nice though, haven't broken it down yet.

It's a colt, ya think the price is ok?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR-15 A2..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vitamin G
May 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
For the sake of reference...

I picked up a like-new bushmaster a3 (m4 style) at a gunshow for $700, and i thought it was an "okay" deal.

Me personally, no. How much is the pony worth to you?

model 649
May 13, 2006, 05:20 PM
Should be more like $750. A NIB A2 match HBAR would be more like $950-$1000. I am being offered a very lightly used A2 Match HBAR for $900 with box, etc. Yup, Colt's are nice, shop around though.
Josh

armabill
May 13, 2006, 05:30 PM
The Colt sounds too high to me.

Shop around a bit.

Dacoda
May 14, 2006, 03:32 AM
not sure if this matters or not... but it says Government on the side.. or it's abbreviated atleast.. Gov'ment or something like that.

Roadkill
May 14, 2006, 08:56 AM
What yuu are looking at is the GS (government series) of the Ar15A2, its a 1980ish civilian production of the M16A2. May or may not have bayonet lug depending on date of manufacture, 1/7 twist barrel, cromed bore, heavy barrel, were about 10,000 or so made, has a large pin upper and lower so its hard to swap uppers with other configurations. I have one, is a great shooter but not more so than other models. As mentioned, prive should be in the $750to $900 depending on condition.

rk

Dacoda
May 14, 2006, 01:11 PM
Academy Sports actually has new Bushmaster AR-15 A2's for $860 new. But that's a Bushmaster. Is there much difference between the Colt and the Bushmaster? Or the S&W M&P 15 for that matter? I know the Tactical series has more rails than I'll ever know what to do with, but can you rail a Colt if you take off the carry handle? Or is the handle part of the reciever?

I feel ignorant when it comes to AR's. I've yet to own one. Sorry.

cracked butt
May 14, 2006, 02:30 PM
I just picke dup a 20" Bushmaster A3 from a Sportsman's warehouse for $860, their price for the Bushy A2 was $800. Not sure if itwas a great deal, but it gives you something to compare with.

yci
May 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
Bit high in my opinion. I've snagged 2 Colt H-Bar match A2's for around or under $850 each in the past couple of years.

I agree with the other posters, shop around a bit.

Dacoda
May 16, 2006, 12:53 AM
thanks for all the help and input guys. Another thing, is Bushmaster any good? or is it just a cheap AR? and what's the difference between the A1, A2, and A3? which one gets more respect? I know the A2 has the muzzle break, but do they all have that? If I can get a new Bushmaster for less than a used Colt... that's not saying much about Bushmaster, ya know? I want an AR, just don't know enough about 'em to decide which one. Which would you get?

Thanks.

Anyone know the blue book value of it?

Dacoda
May 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
ok so I finally did it. with the persuasion of my friend (never bring a friend to the gun store, they'll make you buy anything). So I walked into that pawn shop, the one that had the Colt AR for $1000, I was prepared to offer him $800 cash for it right then and there. the manager was out, so I asked the idiot behind the counter if I could see it, I brought my marine friend along with me, so he could inspect the rifle with me. So the guy (idiot) behind the counter handed me the rifle, I asked him, would it be ok if I broke it down, so I could inspect the barrel? he said, "no!". that's fine, I asked him, what if I bring this thing home, and find out it's all chewed up inside, he said... "bring it back". I said, ok, well, do you have a bore light? he said "nope!", looking at my friend, who was looking at me in the same weird way, I then asked the idiot, well, do you have a flashlight I could use? he said "nope!". (no flashlights in a pawn shop? hmm...) So I turned to my friend and said... sarcastically... "wow, this guy really wants to sell this gun doesn't he?" the SOB then said to me.. "well you don't have to buy it!" OH MY GOD!!!, NO THE F*** YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT TO ME!!! my friend even looked at me to make sure I wasn't about to smack the life out of him. we both turned around, and walked out. I'm still thinking about calling his manager tomorrow and telling him that this guy really doesn't wanna work, and all he's doing is losing you business.

so on a brighter side, I went to sportsmans warehouse, and after annoying the hell out of the guy there to see this one, and see that one, I finally made my decision, and bought it. an Armalite M-15A4. flat top. I figured it's the most versatile for what I want, if I wanna make it tactical and put my holographic site on it, I could. or if I wanna put a regular scope on it, I could. or if I wanna just get a carry handle with open sights, I could :)

cost me a grand though after taxes. ouch!

Wish me luck, I finally bought the weapon I've always wanted. Now I can stop buying for a LONG LONG time.

- Dacoda -

cracked butt
May 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
Have fun with it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I finally bought the weapon I've always wanted. Now I can stop buying for a LONG LONG time.

Yeah right, I said that maybe 20 rifles ago.:neener:

model 649
May 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
Wot HE said....(esp. about the rifles...).
OOrah! you got something nice. Hope you enjoy it. See what happens when you have a buddy with you? It's not that THEY make you buy, it's that you have someone to INSTANTLY justify whatever:evil: . Works for me.
Josh

rino451
May 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
Congrats! I just bought two recently myself.

FYI... (and this isn't a rant or anything...) It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission. Should have just popped the pins and taken a look. Tool behind the desk probably wouldn't even though that it was something other than standard operating procedure - which it is.

Also, it's a firearm not a weapon unless you have different ideas. ;)

rlw

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 12:15 AM
I hate to report that I'm already having issues with this "firearm" but the magazine release button is too tight to properly load a mag in it. I've tried oiling it (of course)... and I keep depressing the button repeatedly to see if it just needs to be worn in a bit. but even that's not helping.

Any ideas? it's already chewing up the brand new mag.

Bartholomew Roberts
May 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
I hate to report that I'm already having issues with this "firearm" but the magazine release button is too tight to properly load a mag in it.

Can you describe exactly what is happening? Specifically is the bolt forward or locked back when you load a magazine? How do you load the magazine and who made that magazine? Can you describe what you mean by "too tight" in more detail?

Any ideas? it's already chewing up the brand new mag.

Again, what do you mean by chewing up? Can you specifically describe this?

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 12:33 AM
with or without a magazine loaded, the button itself is VERY sticky. like... if something was preventing it, ie. paint, or burrs of metal etc...

I've been trying to work it in and out. hopefully to break whatever is obstructing it. I even tried rotating the releasing pin one full way clockwise, then one full way counter-clockwise. still nothing.

bolt has no effect on this, like I said, the magazine isn't even in the gun. it could be cause it's still new.

ok, about the magazine. the top of it, where it SUPPOSED to be able to push the pin outward, to lock into place, well... since the lock is so tight, the magazine is just hitting a lock that won't move. so it's scra[ping the heck out of it.

I'm not the best at describing things. sorry.

Harry Tuttle
May 19, 2006, 12:43 AM
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
the magazine catch button is adjustable

MAGAZINE CATCH (FUNCTION). Insert magazine into the
well. The magazine catch should hold the magazine in
place. Pressing the magazine catch button should release
the magazine. To adjust the magazine catch, use cleaning
rod to press in on the magazine catch button until the left
side of the magazine catch sticks out beyond the receiver.
To tighten, turn the magazine catch clockwise; to loosen,
turn it counterclockwise.

Stinger
May 19, 2006, 12:45 AM
I hate to report that I'm already having issues with this "firearm" but the magazine release button is too tight to properly load a mag in it.

Adjust it per the instructions in your owner's manual.

Regards,

Stinger

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 12:50 AM
adjusting is isn't the problem... however, if it can be adjusted, can it be completely unscrewed? if I could unscrew it, I could figure out what's holding it up.

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 12:52 AM
nevermind... it can.

rangerruck
May 19, 2006, 12:58 AM
if it is an origional a2 from back in the mid 80's , and truly milspec, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 01:00 AM
figured out what is wrong. the catch (I'm assuming that's the little "L" shaped piece) has very little clearance in the reciever, so it's binding up. I could either file it down (not an option on a brand new gun) or just wait til normal wear and tear takes it's part.

Dacoda
May 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
it's an armalite A4, sorry, the original post was about a colt a2. I just didn't wanna start a new thread.

DMK
May 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Doh! Double post.

DMK
May 19, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nice find! Armalite make a nice AR. Best of luck with it!

Dacoda
May 20, 2006, 03:41 AM
Wow, nothing but disappointment. every three rounds went fine, the fourth round would never chamber. That was while using Wolf ammo. Changed to Winchester. they chambered better, no problems, but the last round fired, and still closed the bolt, instead of keeping the bolt open, fine, magazine problems. Remington seemed to do a little better than both. decent groups after sighting in the scope.

Magazine catch problem is literally TEARING up the mags. it still sticks, my finger is actually hurting from trying to work it back and forth hundreds of times throughout the day. I'll call armalite tomorrow to let them know I'm completely unsatisfied with this thing.

see, the problem with the catch is, the damn thing is a square. if they would bevel the edge of it, to make it more like a triangle, the magazine would slide in smoothly. even if it DOES stick, the magazine would force it over. but since it's a SQUARE, the magazine just hits a metal block, and chews up the top of the mag. My friend gave me a magazine that he just brought back from iraq, it was used HUNDREDS of times. not a scratch on it. one day of me using it, and the thing almost has a hole through it. WTH?!?!

so far this thing is turning into a real train-wreck. and I'm USUALLY not one to complain. but I refuse to take a file to a $1000 gun. ABSOLUTELY REFUSE!

Bartholomew Roberts
May 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
Did you adjust the magazine catch as Harry Tuttle described? Adjusting the catch will determine how far it sticks into the magwell (or does not). If you do not have enough clearance then it needs to be adjusted to allow for more clearance.

If you have done this and it still lacks clearance, then I would send it back to Armalite.

see, the problem with the catch is, the damn thing is a square. if they would bevel the edge of it, to make it more like a triangle, the magazine would slide in smoothly.

Pretty much all of the AR15 catches I've looked at are square and I've never had a problem with them, so I don't think that is the problem here.

Wow, nothing but disappointment. every three rounds went fine, the fourth round would never chamber. That was while using Wolf ammo. Changed to Winchester. they chambered better, no problems, but the last round fired, and still closed the bolt, instead of keeping the bolt open, fine, magazine problems.

Could be a bad magazine or it could be your rifle. Does the same magazine lock the bolt open when you cycle the action manually? If so, then it isn't the magazine.

From what you are describing it sounds like you are right on the edge as far as getting enough gas to cycle the action. Wolf is a notriously low-powered load so it was probably not generating enough pressure to cycle the action if it was marginal. The Winchester is a little hotter, so it would cycle but wasn't sending the bolt back far enough to let the follower engage the bolt catch before the bolt came forward again (this is called "short-stroking").

If it is the rifle and not the magazine, I would check the buffer and buffer spring to make sure nobody has "enhanced" reliability by adding a heavier buffer or extra power buffer spring. Second, I would make sure the gas key is tight on the bolt carrier. Third I would run a pipe cleaner through the gas key to make sure it is clear of debris. If all three of those check out and you still have issues, send it back to Armalite and they should take care of you.

Nhsport
May 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
I suspect as you say it will just wear in. Another way to go is give Armalite a call and they might send you off a new part to try, are you able to Identify the part or the lower as haveing any lumps or burrs? Strong light and magnifying glass time!
Go to AR15.com,go to the "hometown forum" for your area and I bet someone will give you or loan you a used mag catch that you can try or use.
I built an AR with a Stag stripped lower and a Rock River lower parts kit that worked (didn't work correct) about the same as you describe. I ended up takeing a small stone and breaking the back edge (inside ) of the mag catch to improve the opperation . Not something one wants to do to a part with finish on it and not something I would have you do untill you talk to Armalite.
I think you have a fine gun and made a much beter choice than the A2 colt.
Colts are fine,you just have be able to wrap your mind around the Colts are worth more because they are colts thing,it can work for you or against you. I really dislike the non standard pin sizes, and I also firmly believe anyones first ar should be a flatop for the versatility unless primary use is to be military riflr competition.
You didn't "stop buying for a long time" (ha -ha),you bought into the dreaded BLACK RIFLE DISEASEalso known as BRD There will also be something for he black rifle you need/want in the future
Good luck

Dacoda
May 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
haha, I meant it will be the last gun I buy for a while. cause now I need to save up for the EOTech. and possibly the carry handle, and front sight. I'm still unsure on how I wanna dress it out. Open sights, tactical, scoped... still unsure. but thanks for the advice :)

model 649
May 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
Just a minute here.....You have a new, expensive rifle that's not running worth a hill o'....and your more concerned with what you're going to hang on it?
Josh

Dacoda
May 21, 2006, 03:40 AM
it just has a few bugs. it's querky. it'll get straightened out eventually. :)

Drakejake
May 21, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you shop around, you can get a DPMS Panther Lite (5.7 pounds empty, six position adjustable stock) for about $650. I just got one and I think this is a good deal. Aren't most of these AR rifles virtually identical?

Drakejake

Commissar Gribb
May 21, 2006, 06:14 PM
I'd say skip the pony and get something more reasonable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR-15 A2..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!