Savage 64

PDA

evan price
May 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
Just picked up a Savage 64 .22LR; anybody else got one, I was going to use it to teach kids rifle shooting, it was priced right, are they worth a darn? Can you get spare magazines?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 64" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crew590
May 13, 2006, 05:03 PM
I had one. Then a Ruger 10/22 got in the way. :D They are a nice little gun for what I paid ($120 + tax on sale at Dunham's). You can buy extra mags for them at wal-mart (the only place that i have checked for them). Also they are from what I've fired, reliable.

HTH,
Jay

squirrel-shooter
May 13, 2006, 07:12 PM
I do not own a Savage 64 but over the years I have shot those that were owned by friends, family members and co-workers. My impression, and expierence, had been positive.

The spare mags can be purchased at Wal Mart for just over $10, or you can order them online from places like CheaperThanDirt, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Mid South Shooters Supply etc etc.

All the 64's I have shot were definatly accurate enough for plinking fun and small game hunting with or without a scope. The wood stocked models are nicely finished for the price, the polymer stock models are great for field use where scratches, bumps and dings are the norm.

I did find that most polymer stocked models need some work in the barrel channel so the barrel will free float in the stock.

Only real complaints I have with the model 64, and the bolt action Savage MkII, is that they dont come drilled and taped for a weaver style scope base and do not come equiped with sling studs. The magazine on both Savage rimfire .22lr's protrude right smack in the middle of the balance point, so field carry can be a little awkward at first.

The trigger pull weight on most economy line Savage rimfires is a bit on the heavy side. This can be corrected in about 15 minuites by installing a shim between the trigger housing and the action. My MkII, same trigger group as the 64, had a 7# trigger right out of the box. I installed the shim and the trigger was reduced to a very crisp 3# pull.

Hope you enjoy your Savage 64, definatly a good buy in my opinion.

squirrel-shooter

evan price
May 14, 2006, 05:17 AM
Used, but very lightly, looks like it never had more than 500 rounds total through it and probably a lot less. Blue metal & polymer stock. Had a nice Bushnell 3/9x32 variable zoom scope with covers on it on a nice solid set of scope mounts. All for $79.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 64" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!