303 in a non surplus gun

PDA

Flyboy73
May 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
I was at work and co workers mentioned his grandfather gave his brother a gun in 303. I asked if it was a sportized enfield and he said no it was not a surplus gun sportized.

Was there Non sportized gun chambered in 303?

Brion

If you enjoyed reading about "303 in a non surplus gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
May 13, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes. At one time, British gun makers imported a modified Mauser action, with a magazine and extractor designed for rimmed cartridges, and built .303 Sporters around it.

Diomed
May 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
There were also plenty of .303 Lee actions built specifically for civilian/private officer sales. Bread and butter for BSA, LSA, etc. Churchill carried a BSA carbine in South Africa, I've seen one of the same pattern and they're quite nice. They're often marked "Lee Speed" or "Lee Speed Patents" on the receiver. Not too common on this side of the pond, but they do pop up.

They were also available in other calibers besides .303.

Jim Watson
May 13, 2006, 07:15 PM
Winchester made the Model 95 lever action in .303 British.

There were any number of British single shot and double rifles in .303; just like there are a lot of non-USGI .308s.

Detritus
May 13, 2006, 07:40 PM
and you're friend said 303 Brit, right?

there is also .303 Savage which is of course a different cartridge (kinda like 30-30 hotrodded i understand).

if your buddy said it was a .303 brit then it could be all of the types mentioned above plus some. there are a number of american made sporting rifles that have been produced chambered for .303Brit. companies wanting to sell to shooters in places like Canada or Austrailia, found that .303 was a VERY good seller there ;)

May 13, 2006, 11:41 PM
As was mentioned, there have been many rifles chambered for .303 British.

If I am not mistaken, I think you can buy a Blaser rifle in .303 right now: if you can afford it.

If you enjoyed reading about "303 in a non surplus gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!