Walter G22 - what to do

PDA

BryanP
May 13, 2006, 05:34 PM
So, I just won a Walther G22 in a raffle.

I've heard some question it's reliability. Those of you who have owned one for a while now - what can you tell me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walter G22 - what to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MagnumCaliber357
May 13, 2006, 08:17 PM
:scrutiny: id sell it and buy an AK or put some more money into the equasion and buy an AR-15. G22 is not to my personal liking :barf: no offense!

borrowedtime69
May 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
give it to your worst enemy and tell him its a great, reliable self defence gun, then watch for his name in the obituaries LMAO :neener:

BryanP
May 14, 2006, 01:32 AM
id sell it and buy an AK or put some more money into the equasion and buy an AR-15

I already own one of each. I wasn't asking about people's personal likes and dislikes. I want to hear from people who own a G22.

OEF_VET
May 14, 2006, 09:57 AM
Congratulations Bryan.

Serum556
May 14, 2006, 11:17 AM
It's a light, fun little carbine for casual shooting. They're surprisingly accurate and very comfortable to shoot. The various rails offer mounting points for sights, bipods, or whatever else you like.

Depending on the ammo you shoot (I use CCI Blazer a lot), you'll have to clean it more or less often, I typically break it down and scrub it out after every 1000 rounds or so. Carbon build up on the bolt face and feed ramp can cause it to jam or misfeed sometimes, but as long as it's clean it won't give you any problems. That said, it's definitely more of a fun gun than anything else.

Like I said, it can be very accurate if you want it to be, or it will fire as fast as you pull the trigger. Only major downsides I see are: small parts (disassemble/clean on a flat, preferably white surface, like an old sheet) and 10 round magazines. There are some modified followers on the market, but they're fairly expensive.

If you won it, I'd keep it. Certainly different from a standard 10/22 or other semi-auto .22.

BryanP
May 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
Serum556,

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the manual and it does look like breakdown was a bit more complicated than should be necessary. And yes, if I keep it I see this as purely a fun gun. I've got a stock 10/22 I keep meaning to rebuild, so I have a reliable .22 rifle.

Frank,

Thanks for the congrats. I had forgotten I even entered that raffle down at Specialty Arms. For the $10 cost of a 4473 check I figure I can't go wrong.

After I have a chance to take it to the range I'll post a range report.

taliv
May 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
i bought my nephew in oak ridge one (he's 8 yrs old) for christmas. he's going through a lot of ammo, so i hear. they've reported a fail-to-feed about every other magazine with remington ammo (cheap stuff from walmart). i suspect a change in ammo would clear that up.

i still like the gun a lot.

Technosavant
May 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
I was drooling over one a couple months ago. They look great, and I think with the optional laser and a rimfire scope, it might be the terror of groundhogs and squirrels.

I quit drooling over them when I heard the takedown was a pain and I realized that a Remington 597 is half the price.

For a $10 transfer fee, I would take another $10 and get a brick of Federal or Winchester rimfire ammo (Remington has a poor reputation for good reason) and go have some good times. You, sir, are a lucky man.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walter G22 - what to do" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!