buying an AK 47

PDA

hatterasurf
May 13, 2006, 11:50 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new Ak and would like to know what to look for?

If you enjoyed reading about "buying an AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MartinS
May 14, 2006, 08:38 AM
Do you mean what kind and caliber or what to look for when evaluating an individual rifle?

kfranz
May 14, 2006, 09:15 AM
A good price never hurt. More specific questions will lead to more specific answers.

All the WASR's I've run across are a bit rough in the fit/finish dept. It's an AK, and they have been dirt cheap, so I don't really care.

The Real Hawkeye
May 14, 2006, 11:00 AM
Make sure the front sight tower is pointing straight up, instead of being canted to the right or left. That's the most common problem. Also, try inserting magazines. Some are easy to insert and some are hard, requiring a perfect alignment and some jiggling to get it in just the right position, and that could tie you up in an emergency. Ideally, bring a few mags with you when you evaluate.

R127
May 14, 2006, 07:53 PM
The difference between a cheap and a quality AK is night and day, in every respect from finish to trigger pull to accuracy.

If you want the most accurate AK get a Vepr. If you want the lightest AK get a stamped reciever of quality manufacture like a Saiga, Arsenal or Vector Arms and make use of the polymer Bulgarian waffle magazines. If you want an AK that splits the difference between weight and accuracy and is beautifully made get a milled rifle, be it a Bulgarian, Arsenal or one of the new offerings from Vector Arms. The WASR just doesn't even compare, the SAR-1 if you can find one is much nicer and more trustworthy.

Note: MAK-90's and Saigas can be excellent, but they are project guns unless you want to keep them in their sporterized form which will prevent them from ever showing their true qualities.

kfranz
May 14, 2006, 08:05 PM
Making dumbhole AK's compliant takes about 20 minute and less than $100. Just like high dollar AK's, WASR's go bang when you pull the trigger.

R127
May 14, 2006, 08:21 PM
Sure, my main AK is a converted MAK-90. It boasts numerous upgrades and is a fine rifle. However depending on what your goal is there might be a lot more involved than 20 minutes and $100. MAK's are a lot easier to convert than Saigas, but unless you're happy with the blued finish you're at least going to want to Gunkote your MAK. Then there's AWB Sunset considerations, do you want bayonets and flash suppressors? If you do you're talking about new gasblocks and fsb's and tapping threads on the muzzle.

As far as WASR's go, if you're happy with them that is great and I won't beat you down for it, but they are the least examples of what AK's are and drawing sweeping conclusions about AK's based on the qualities of the WASR would be misleading in the extreme. Likewise I would avoid the B-West recievers in MAK-90's, even though they are otherwise good guns.

Bullet
May 14, 2006, 11:01 PM
Check out the Yugo AK’s here –

http://www.auctionarms.com/

http://www.gunbroker.com/

rangerruck
May 15, 2006, 12:59 AM
saiga. or saiga. they are cheap, have cold hammer forged, ultra stiff chrome lined bbls, the bbls range from 16 to 22 or 24 inches, best of all they are very accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "buying an AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!