Is there a mechanical safety on the Russian M38 and M44?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
May 14, 2006, 01:37 PM
I was checking these out recently and didnt see one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a mechanical safety on the Russian M38 and M44?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
May 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/operations.asp

rockstar.esq
May 14, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yes and as you'll likely see from the above link, they are a pita.

Cosmoline
May 14, 2006, 02:39 PM
No, they are not a PITA. You simply have to learn how to use them. They are very different in form and effect than the simple trigger blocking safety devices American shooters are used to on rifles. You have to use these things called your arm muscles to actuate them :neener: The advantage is they don't just block the trigger, they divide the bolt in half and lock the back half and the hammer to the receiver itself. It's the safest safety there is. Once you learn how to do it, you can take it on and off without clicks or other noises. Mosins are the only rifles I feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked on the trail.

Vern Humphrey
May 14, 2006, 02:47 PM
The Mauser, Springfield and Model 70 Winchester do the same thing -- lock the striker and bolt closed. They have the advantage of being easy to operate with the thumb, and also have an intermediate position that allows you to load or unload the chamber with the rifle still on safe.

Cosmoline
May 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
But they don't lock the striker to the receiver. They just block it, and they can fail (though I doubt an original '98 safety ever has).

Basically, if you want the same thing as you and your father have been used to, don't get a Mosin. If you do get one, learn to use it as it is rather than trying to beat it into something you're more used to.

Lonestar.45
May 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
I don't have a problem with the safety on my M-38 at the range or just shooting, but, it is definitely a detriment in a hunting situation.

Tropical Z
May 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
No, they are not a PITA. You simply have to learn how to use them.
Agreed-agreed-agreed!

Cosmoline
May 14, 2006, 11:41 PM
don't have a problem with the safety on my M-38 at the range or just shooting, but, it is definitely a detriment in a hunting situation.

Why, because they fail to make that little "click" animals seem to be able to hear fifty yards away?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is there a mechanical safety on the Russian M38 and M44?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!