High Energy Loads

PDA

30-06 lover
May 14, 2006, 06:30 PM
I am going to Colorado this November for deer and elk and I am wondering about high energy loads from Federal and Hornady. I have been looking at Feds High Energy 180 Gr. Partitions, or Hornady 165 Gr. Inter-bond Light Mags, both in 30-06. I am a touch recoil sensitive, so I am wondering how these loads compare to standard velocity 180 grain loads. I can shoot all day with 150 Gr. loads, but 180 I can only go about 15 rounds before I start to feel it. So is the extra energy needed? How much more will the high energy loads recoil. Thanks!!!
-Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "High Energy Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
May 14, 2006, 07:54 PM
If it was me, I'd go with 180 grain Partitions, in a standard velocity load.

garrett1955
May 14, 2006, 10:10 PM
If you get partitions make sure that they are good for thick skinned amimals. the 30-06 will do fine. my dad was successful in Alaska taking a caribou with his 30-06. I am prety sure he was using 150 grain hand laods, but dont quote me that was over 10 yrs ago.

oh, and good luck, have fun and be safe on the hunt!

browningguy
May 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
Really not needed in my opinion, there aren't many deer or elk that won't go down to a well placed 180 gr. Partition in a standard load. As I recall form reading, the HE loads get you into 300 Win Mag velocities. And having just shot my 300 Mag yesterday I can tell you it's considerably more recoil than my '06's.

Ifishsum
May 14, 2006, 11:10 PM
The recoil is noticeably stouter than standard loads, and they're not necessary. In fact at closer ranges the extra energy can work against you in terms of bullet fragmentation.

I think your best bet is to use what you're used to shooting with now.

30-06 lover
May 14, 2006, 11:41 PM
What do you all think about standard velocity 165 grain loads for elk and deer...either the Interbond Hornady load, or the Federal Partition load. Thanks!!!
-Mike

stevelyn
May 15, 2006, 09:31 AM
I love the Federal HE loads and the 180gr NP version is what I use up here for moose and big bears. They put the .30-06 into .300 H&H performance territory.

However, they also start tenderizing my shoulder after a few shots off the bench out of a Ruger #1 RSI.

No elk or deer will walk away from a standard velocity 165 grainer if you do your job. If you want to hedge your bets a little go with the Nosler Partition if your rifle will shoot them.

The standard velocity 165 grain would be my choice for a western Lower 48 combination hunt.

If you enjoyed reading about "High Energy Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!