K-31 scope mounts question

PDA

Oldnamvet
May 14, 2006, 11:15 PM
I notice that if you don't want to go with a long eye relief scout type scope, the mounts for the K-31 mount to the side. The one requiring drilling and tapping goes on the left side while the clamp-on type goes on the right side. How inconvenient is it to look across the rifle to the right side over the bolt handle, etc.? Do these mounts hold well? It seems like they don't have much to clamp onto and may require shaving some wood off the stock? I normally need something more than open sights due to old eyes but am skeptical about the mount. I don't want to drill any holes in the rifle so may be better off going with a ghost ring type open sight. Opinions from other older eyes out there requested.

If you enjoyed reading about "K-31 scope mounts question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cracked butt
May 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
The clamp on mount holds very tight, doesn't require any modifications of the rifle whatsoever, and isn't a problem with looking across the stock to use the scope. You won't have any problems with them.

qajaq59
May 15, 2006, 08:23 AM
I understand your hesitation, as I have the same doubts. Most everyone I have talked to about Pierre's clamp-on scope has had good words about it. But while I have been thinking about buying one I've held off hoping someone would show up at the range with one so I could try it first. It just doesn't look comfortable to shoot with the scope that far off center. However there really is no other way to mount a scope on a K31 that I can find. Not with the cases ejectng straight up.
One thing I have done, which may or may not help you, was to buy a pair of those cheap 1X reading glasses at WalMart. They don't blur the target too much at 200 yards and they do enable me to see the front sight clearly. For $8 it might be worth your while to try it?

Dave Rishar
May 15, 2006, 01:17 PM
I've got one. It works.

It was not quite a drop-in fit as advertised; I had to shorten one of the screws slightly and lightly sand off a few high spots to get the sort of fit that I wanted. Once I did it clamped on tight.

What worried me were the Warne rings that're supposed to go with it. The clamp-on mount does not have slots milled in it for the recoil lugs on the rings to engage. It seemed like an accident waiting to happen but I degreased the top of the mount, snugged the rings on as tight as I dared, and hoped for the best. I haven't been able to detect any shift in 100 rounds but I won't be surprised if it happens sometime in the future. Fortunately, I can still just see the sights under the scope and I know that they're zeroed properly, making it relatively easy to verify one against the other.

As for the offset...it's no different than a lot of the offset Russian mounts, really, except that it's on the other side. I just tilt my head a bit more. It hasn't given me any problems but it's a bit unusual at first. Bear in mind that I'm a righty -- lefties will probably have a different experience with it.

I will warn you though that I hardly ever shoot this K31 anymore. A K31 in good condition with good ammunition and a decent scope takes all the challenge out of hitting something.

qajaq59
May 15, 2006, 02:07 PM
That is why my buddy and I only shoot them at 200 yards. And if our range has 300 yards we'd likely be shooting that. He is shooting the GP11 ammo but I've been loading for it since day one and I like it. It sure the best rifle I ever bought for $140.

And Oldnamvet, "Opinions from other older eyes out there requested."
Try those cheap 1X glasses. I'm using them until they get around to zapping my right eye with the laser, and they work pretty well.

If you enjoyed reading about "K-31 scope mounts question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!