Scope/Rings and Mounts Issue

PDA

30-06 lover
May 15, 2006, 02:30 AM
I have a Nikon Prostaff scope (3.6 inch eye relief) sitting on my Rem 700 Rifle. When I rack the bolt, the bolt strikes me in the face. Today I found out why. I am somewhat new to proper shooting techniques, so I have been reading about things to improve shooting. Today I read about how to find the proper setting/distance to mount the scope (mounting the gun with our eyes closed, open your eyes and see if you see a full pictures, adjust, tighten at desired distance) Well my scope it too far forward. I have to creep my face forward about 1/4 to 1/2 inch closer to the scope than is comfortable to me. I would like to change that. With the rings and bases I have now (Cheap Leupold Rifleman), I cannot move the scope any further back because the rings are at their furthest rear setting as well as the scope. If I buy new rings, will this solve the problem, or do I have to buy a new scope with a larger eye relief? If new rings and bases will fix the problem, which rings and bases would do it. This is for a hunting rifle, and I don't want to spend buckets of money. Thanks!!!
-Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope/Rings and Mounts Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MarkDozier
May 15, 2006, 02:38 AM
Find you get a longer tube it well solve the problem.
My best ideal take the gun into shop, find the most knowledgeable guy in town and do some on site fitting.

ocabj
May 15, 2006, 02:41 AM
Get a Weaver or Picatinny base and the appropriate rings. This will give you more flexibility in the placement of the scope, front to back, as opposed to 'standard' style bases/rings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope/Rings and Mounts Issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!