What do you think of this?

PDA

nv665
May 15, 2006, 10:00 AM
I found this the other day and it likes a good package. What do you think?

www.shawnstactical.com/truckgun.html

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Red Tornado
May 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
I think it's a bit high for what it is. Do a search on truck gun and you'll get loads of suggestions. That looks like it's making a $600 gun out of a $280 dollar gun. Personally, I'd rather have an SKS, 30-30, or Mosin M38, and use the extra cash for ammo and more guns. YMMV.
RT

rbernie
May 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know that I'd be so hard on the rifle. From the bill of materials, I can see how the modifications could readily cost $300 above the cost of a standard Stephens 200. The barrel is shortened to 17" and a new front sight installed, a XS rear aperture sight installed, the rifle refinished in a matte park job, and (most uniquely) a stripper clip guide is installed and the receiver milled (dunno how much) to allow the use of 7.62x51 on strippers. That's a pretty cool package, if you're in the market for such a thing.

The decision to spend $600 on a 308 bolt-action carbine is a slightly different question. There are many folks who would look at that and consider it to be too slow in terms of rate of fire and holding too little ammo relative to a magazine-fed semiauto. There are others who would look at it and take great joy in the idea of possessing a precision weapon firing a full-power cartidge coupled with the handling/relative ease of reloading of a military-style carbine.

ball3006
May 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
you can pick up a Mosin Nagant M44 for well under 100 bucks and it will do anything this 600 buck gun will do. In addition, the folding bayonet makes a dandy rifle holder while you open a beer..........chris3

steveracer
May 15, 2006, 01:12 PM
I think it's pretty cool. I'd prefer it on the Savage 110 with Accutrigger. That would really be something!

Leif
May 15, 2006, 01:13 PM
While I agree that $600 is a bit steep for what you're getting, I don't think that M-N is the best answer to the question either. No aperture sight, try finding stripper clips that work, have to extend the bayonet to have any accuracy, lousy little bolt, even lousier safety, etc.

I think an Enfield No. 5 carbine would fit the bill much better, with the only downside being that .303 can be expensive depending on where you are. A decent example still will cost far less than $600.

rbernie
May 15, 2006, 01:20 PM
you can pick up a Mosin Nagant M44 for well under 100 bucks and it will do anything this 600 buck gun will do. Does anyone else know of a source for a new-manufacture stripper clip fed, bolt action carbine that takes MilSurp NATO standard ammo? Is the proposed M-N chambered in 308/7.62x51 NATO?

C'mon, guys - let's try to be realistic. You may decide that YOU don't need 308 and can live off imported 7.62x54R, and that's fine. But this rifle is being made for the gunnie that wants something of new manufacture and which uses full-power ubiquitous and NATO-standard ammo. In that market, there are no other obvious choices. If you're not in that market, then spend your money elsewhere....

I'm not about to rush off and buy one (I'm perfectly happy with my cut-down Ishy 2A, thankyouverymuch), but I can certainly appreciate the thought that went into building it.

SpookyPistolero
May 15, 2006, 02:12 PM
I really like that little thing. I also think it fills a fair niche, since the mosin lacks a lot of refinement in a lot of areas. I still think the mosin is a lot of bang for the buck, especially if the rifle is going to spend the majority of its time behind a truck seat or in a trunk. The custom number has vastly better sights, stripper clip functionality (which the mosin lacks, for all intensive purposes) and almost certainly a smoother and easier to operate bolt.

The No. 4 Mk.1 Enfield is going to be the next runner up to this rifle, if you want to go a cheaper route. If it's to be shot often, you might find that difference in ammo cost between the 7.62x51 and .303 quickly eats away at the savings between the rifles, however.

MechAg94
May 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
$600 doesn't really fit my definition of a "truck gun". You might want that rifle as a scout gun or for some other use, but not a truck gun.

To me, a truck gun is a junker rifle that is cheap (ammo and gun) so you don't mind if it gets a little dirty or rusted in the truck. It is not your trusty nice rifle that you take to the range every week. Everyone has different opinions though. My preference (if I thought I needed a truck gun) would be an SKS, M-N, or some other inexpensive surplus rifle. Spend any money and I would be afraid to leave it in the truck.

Also, the advantage of using a bolt action for a truck gun is you can keep the bolt separated and slide it back in pretty easily.

kfranz
May 15, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think it's pretty much a current production FR-8. I'd spend my dough on the FR-8 and 1500 rounds of ammo.

rbernie
May 15, 2006, 06:50 PM
I've not seen an FR8 around these parts for less than $400 in some time, when you can find 'em. I think that an Ishy 2A would be a more ready example of an alternative.

In either case, restocking the rifle in synthetic, replacing the trigger with a 4lb single-stage, shortening it to 17" and recrowning it, replacing the front sight, adding an aperture to the rear, and refinishing it will easily put you in the $600 range for either an FR8 or an Ishy 2A. I've got an Ishy 2A that's been redone in a similar fashion, and I've got the credit card bills to show for it. ;)

nv665
May 15, 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm looking for an all purpose rifle. I did not want to go the surplus rifle route (know nothing about).

dmckean44
May 15, 2006, 10:52 PM
I like it.

If he added an action job in addition to his trigger job into the price of the $600 rifle I think he'd have something special. The Savage action isn't as smooth as a Remington 700 and can be difficult to operate quickly although it certainly beats a M-N.

I'm more of a lever guy at the moment and will be sticking with my 1894SS.

Red Tornado
May 16, 2006, 09:55 AM
I saw an Ishy 2A1 that had been shortened and a jungle carbine flash hider added for $200 at a pawn shop last week. I think they called them a #7 Jungle carbine, but that was Gibbs terminology, not any kind of official designation. Is that what you've got rbernie? I had trouble finding info on it, so I passed. I'm guessing you could get mojo or teksites for it, but I don't know how the trigger is. The action was smooth though.
RT

rbernie
May 16, 2006, 10:08 AM
What I have right now is an Ishy 2A that I've bedded into an ATI stock, shortened, had refinished in matte blue, and added a scout-style scope mount in place of iron sights. I'm debating adding a receiver-mouted peep sight to it and sweating on a replacement front ramp, but I'm not sure that it's worth the money or hassle.

Kor
May 17, 2006, 02:02 AM
Actually, after doing a bit of research, while it may be overpriced as a "truck gun," it's actually a pretty good deal on a "near-Savage Scout" - just get the forward scope mount added, and you're there. Given that the last MSRP for the Savage Scout was $559.00(2003), this is right in the same ballpark.

As it is, Shawn's "Truck Gun" package offers a better finish and, IMO, a better magazine/feed system than the now-discontinued Savage Scout, a blued rifle with detachable 4-round mags, which often had to be individually fitted to the rifle for reliable retention. I believe the fixed, blind magazine of the base Stevens 200 action is more foolproof, and with the stripper-clip guide, might actually be quicker to recharge when compared to an easily-fumbled 4-shot, flush-fitting magazine; if you lose or accidentally drop your last mag, you're now S.O.L., while a single lost stripper-clip is much less of an issue.

Or, you could pay $579.00(per GunsAmerica.com) for a stainless Ruger Frontier MkII, that has no iron sights or stripper-clip guide...

nero45acp
May 17, 2006, 02:21 AM
Looks neat, but personally I'd rather have a "Paratrooper" SKS for a truck gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=48933492

(I'm not affliliated with this auction)

nero

dmckean44
May 17, 2006, 04:15 AM
Next time I see one of those $199 Stevenes deals I'm gonna have one of these made up and see if I like it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think of this?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!