Rock River Arms Review?

PDA

deolexrex
May 15, 2006, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking about a RRA AR-15.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reviews? Suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River Arms Review?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mmike87
May 15, 2006, 01:28 PM
If they have the configuration you're looking for, just get it. They make good AR rifles and few folks ever have any problems with them.

chopinbloc
May 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
i have a rock river upper on a bushmaster lower. i have been very satisfied with fit, finish, accuracy and reliability. i have another upper on the way from them that will finish out an all rock river build and i'll try to remember to post a review when i get it but it could be a while.

LoadAmmo
May 15, 2006, 09:41 PM
I bought an RRA and wish I didn't. Immediately after you buy one it will depreciate $100.

Save $100 and buy a Complete STAG lower and STAG Upper, slap them together. Total price = $750.

STAG is made by CMT, who makes RRA.

www.stagarms.com
www.eaglefirearms.net

If you buy the complete upper and lower separate you save the 11% excise tax, and thus about $100.

Good shopping, and avoid Bushmaster as well, their QC is crap.

Top dog in town in the AR market lately?

www.cmmginc.com

longhorngunman
May 15, 2006, 11:59 PM
Do a search here and on Arfcom. Maybe a negative here and there but there are many, many happy RRA owners including myself. I've heard good things about Stag myself but that RRA is a little more "pick of the litter" and I'm not sure if they have the same warranty as RRA.

raz-0
May 16, 2006, 01:43 AM
The only problem with RRA rifles is the WAIT. nobody ever seems to have stock.

poortrader
May 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
Hey Loadammo,

I believe that you would have the same problem even if you bought a Stag. You're going to lose the value of the gun once you shot it. The best advice about buying is to do your research and find the best price.

I have a RRA Entry Tactical. I have no regrets about buying it. Not many rounds down range, but I've never had any problems.

I was lucky. It only took 3 weeks for my delivery.

Be prepare to be overwhelm with information.

deolexrex
May 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
I'm leaning towards an Elite CAR A4. Anyone have one or have shot one?

chakup
May 16, 2006, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy RRA. I would avoid Mega.

taliv
May 16, 2006, 01:33 PM
i've got two right now. both are outstanding. one's a NM and the other is unique. (i assembled out of RRA parts)

Stormin n
May 16, 2006, 02:02 PM
I have the elite CAR A4 upper on a Stag lower. Works great. Very happy.

Correia
May 16, 2006, 02:11 PM
I really like Rock River. We completed our RRA group buy, and shipped all of the rifles, and I haven't had a complaint from anybody.

El Tejon
May 16, 2006, 02:37 PM
My Rock River carbines have served me well. I have yet to see one go TU in carbine classes. I would see no problems with buying RRA.

chopinbloc
May 16, 2006, 03:25 PM
my fiance has a stag l/h m4 upper on an armalite lower quality seems to be on par with the rock river. i wouldn't say either one or the other is definitely better.

GoRon
May 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'm leaning towards an Elite CAR A4. Anyone have one or have shot one?

I have a few thousand rounds through mine. It doesn't like British mil-surp (Radway Green). It has failures to extract with this ammo.

XM193, XM855PD and Winchester White Box 40 round value packs all have worked flawlessly, as in zero issues.

I had a little costumer service issue that was resolved eventually, growing pains combined with a pain in the a@@ costumer:evil: .

All in all I love my RRA.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/45Ron/DCP_06991.jpg

Seraph
May 16, 2006, 07:15 PM
I recently built a mid-length carbine from all RRA components, some of which I bought at Coal Creek Armory, and some of which I mail ordered, both RRA direct, and through Pete at Legal Transfers. (Yes, I could have just bought a complete rifle, but I wanted to put one together, and RRA had all the features I wanted.) I knew there were lighter barrels available, but I opted for the 16" stainless heavy "match" barrel, because I wanted to try the 1x8" twist, and the .223 Wylde chamber, and I knew the extra weight wouldn't bother me much, especially with the A2 buttstock I'd be using (the first decision I made for the build). I also opted for the RRA Dominator Eotech Mount, which is an Eotech-specific riser with an integrated A2 rear sight. The only non-RRA parts on it are a YHM Phantom flash suppressor, and a Magpul MIAD pistol grip. All the parts are very nice, as AR parts go, and, though it annoyed me to wait 9 weeks for the stainless barrel, I'm very pleased with the assembled rifle. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but I like the quality of parts, and the configuration of the build so much (heavy barrel included), that I went ahead and disassembled it, sand blasted the stainless barrel, and coated nearly every part with a thermally cured ceramic finish - major components in matte black, and small parts in matte gray. Thus, a very nice rifle now looks even nicer. I can't wait to get it to a range.

vikz
March 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
just got mine yesterday via trade of my smith and wesson mp15a..I'm not an expert on AR but after shooting my new RRA i have to say it feels better than my MP15a..

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/rockriverar15012.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/rockriverar15007.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/rockriverar15005.jpg

jackinil
March 17, 2008, 12:06 AM
+1 on the RRA.Love mine!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/jackinil/IMG_0416.jpg

RugerOldArmy
March 17, 2008, 12:14 AM
I've got a Varmint (24") A4, and an A2 National Match. Very happy. FWIW, I don't think the Stag trigger is nearly as good as the RRA.

PGroenewold
March 17, 2008, 12:41 AM
I have a RRA NM A2 with >1000 rounds through it. The trigger breaks cleanly, it's never had a jam or a failure to fire, and (for me) it's scary accurate. I'm sure there are better ARs available, but for the money I've been very pleased. I'd buy another without hesitation.

I got mine through "Ton80" at www.gunbroker.com ; he was great to deal with and seemed to have good levels of inventory at a time when many other dealers were out of RRA product.

Hope this helps,

PG

FLtoAK05
March 17, 2008, 12:48 AM
I have two. Have had one of about every make and model out there, never had an issue with the RRA. Good luck on your choice.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/bgiddens/RRA110.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/bgiddens/RRA19.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/bgiddens/RRA17.jpg

rero360
March 17, 2008, 01:01 AM
I have a RRA 20" varmint that i put a super sniper scope on with badger rings, I pla on putting a hogue grip on it and changing the buttstock on it but other than that its damn near perfect, 100 meters, prone, bipod firing as fast as i could get back on target, all 30 rounds, 3" group, with cheap wally world ammo, works for me.

chris in va
March 17, 2008, 03:01 AM
Nice thread resurrection there guys. 2.5 years old, not bad.

Evil Monkey
March 17, 2008, 03:23 AM
I think with the constant reminders to "use the search button", new members often will post in a thread that has the same topic as their questions or concerns rather than make a new thread.

guntotinguy
March 17, 2008, 03:54 AM
The wife and I absolutely LOVE our RRA Entry Tactical .223,we havent shot it that much yet but planning on trying a little distance/accuracy firing with it in the next few weeks!

Tim Galyean
March 19, 2008, 03:22 AM
I have a 24" Varmint model and love it. The wait sucked, but it was worth it. It will shoot dime size groups if I do my part.

flynlr
March 19, 2008, 06:02 AM
when I joined this forum I read back several years in many of the threads. and posted many responses in threads that where old. that being said
I love My CarA4 I have used black hills, Federal, Lake City, Radway ,IMG,My reloads and many others with out one misfire.

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/rra_deck1.jpg

SecondAmend
March 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
FL2AK, on your RRA with the Eotech, is that a YHM/RRA rail? Which sights are those?

Nice rifles.

SecondAmend
March 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Tim, do you have a scope riser on your Varmint? Did you get the A4 or EOP? I've got a 20" A4 on order.

Tim Galyean
March 19, 2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I have a RRA scout mount to move the scope forward more, and that raises it a bit and I have Leupold Tactical High rings on it. Mine is an A4.

10-Ring
March 19, 2008, 09:58 PM
I built a middy RRA last year & I love it. Smooth, accurate, reliable :cool:

Gila Jorge
March 19, 2008, 10:42 PM
my dealer had a RRA in stock and various other models including Colt...I loved the RRA right from the start and did not like the Colt or several others...mine has the removable handle/peep sight and picatinny rail with a 3-9 Nikon Monarch mounted on it...darn fine rifle and a blast to shoot...the jackrabbits around here are darn nevrous when I am out and about. No problems of any sort...one fine weapon...

Tully M. Pick
March 20, 2008, 12:26 AM
I think with the constant reminders to "use the search button", new members often will post in a thread that has the same topic as their questions or concerns rather than make a new thread.

People either grouse because you didn't search, or grumble because you resurrect an old thread. Maybe they can start making arbitrary suggestions, like "don't resurrect a thread that is more than 94 days old" or "search, but ignore results that don't match a specific date range, to be determined at a later date."

grimjaw
March 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
Nice thread resurrection there guys. 2.5 years old, not bad.

I don't think it was that bad. I was curious recently about RRA, and this thread helped. I also think RRA's QC could have changed over a two year span, so why not use an old thread to show any differences?

Anyway, I'm considering a RRA 9mm AR15 so thanks for the resurrection.

jm

GJgo
March 20, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have an Elite CAR A4 with an Eotech sight. It was in stock one day and I bought it. It works perfectly, is very accurate, and I would recommend it to anyone.

7mmpitbull
May 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
Rock River may be a well made rifle. But i keep getting the same run around with them. That they are waiting on the barrels from Wilson Arms. I have already talked to Wilson and they have assured me that it isnt them. That they have filled most or all their orders to all. It's been over 12 weeks waiting for them. I will not buy from them ever again. Could have already built one in that kind of time frame.

RickSebastian
July 4, 2008, 12:04 AM
I am soooooooo happy to read all the positive remarks about RRA in this forum. I ordered an Elite CAR A4 back in May and it's supposed to be here next week!

Quite a long wait... But if everything you guys have said about RRA and their Elite CAR A4 is true, it's going to have been well worth it!

ftierson
July 4, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have a few RRA rifles and have been more than happy with them...

There's a good reason that RRA is now one of the largest producers of ARs...

Forrest

m4shooter
August 2, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm pleased with my Rock River CAR A4 with two stage trigger.

August 2, 2008, 11:11 PM
RRA AR's are very good, and they have outstanding customer service.

RD16
February 25, 2009, 01:36 AM
I've been waiting on a RRA Elite CAR A4 for a few months now and the shop I go to just got in a few of the Entry Tacticals. I called to check on my order and the guy on the phone told me it could be another 6 months. Think I should pick up the Entry Tactical and bypass the wait? It's $300 more than the one I have on order. :(

Any thoughts on the Entry Vs. the Elite??

B. Adams
February 25, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, this thread is nearly 3 years old, but I'll answer anyway.

I have an RRA Entry Tac, and it's a great gun. I probably wouldn't have paid $300 more than an Elite, but that's your call.

They're very similar guns, and they have almost the same MSRP, but if having one right now is worth $300 more for you, then go for it. But you should see if you can talk them down on the price since your other order is taking so long.

If AR's are difficult to find in your area, and you've got the cash, you should think about buying them both if you can get a decent deal on them.

dkangel
March 16, 2009, 02:26 AM
Weird, RRA was in Ill today. I drove across from MO and they had several rifles. Talked to their main gunsmith and picked up an Elite CAR A4. Walked out same day :neener:

GuysModel94
March 7, 2011, 12:33 AM
This thread still has life, and good info.

benEzra
March 7, 2011, 11:12 AM
RRA's have a very nice trigger, and the lowers are fairly nice, although the castle nut usually isn't staked. As far as uppers go, if you're looking for an all-around carbine, you could probably get more for your money with BCM or somesuch. You can order a chrome lined barrel from RRA as a factory option on some models (or at least you used to be able to a couple of years ago), and you can get a 5.56x45mm chamber, but they didn't do a very good job staking the gas key screws on mine, and I had to have that done myself. RRA's default barrel profile is rather heavy, which is good if that's what you want, but be aware of it.

On the upside, fit and finish is usually quite good, and they tend to be quite accurate.

I like mine, but I think if I were going to do it over again, I'd probably get a BCM 16" midlength and drop in an aftermarket trigger, RRA or otherwise.

longdayjake
March 7, 2011, 11:20 AM
Of all of the AR's that I have shot my RRA midlength chrome lined barrel has by far been the most accurate. I am very pleased with it but I always figured that it was just a luck of the draw setup. I ordered the upper from ADCO and the complete lower from a dealer on Arfcom. The guys at ADCO did some improvements on the upper that most RRA stock guns don't have and I couldn't understand why so many guys had RRAs without good staking on the castle nut or the gas key. I don't know if ADCO still does it or not but they took the time to put mine together VERY well. +1 for RRA and props to ADCO.

TheHighRoadDude
March 8, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have constantly heard good things about RRA. That being said I still went with a Smith and Wesson M&P15 for my first ;)

RangerHAAF
February 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
Rock River sets the AR hunting rifle standard for me and although I put just as many accessories on mine as the average mall ninja I actually use mine in the field to hunt big game.

amprecon
February 22, 2012, 01:42 AM
When I finally decided to jump on the AR bandwagon, only after they became available in alternative calibers, I did much research.

I went with RRA.

As a matter of fact I'll attach a pic of mine, I bought it with the collapsible stock, but decided I didn't like it and went with a fixed. It's been a reliable and accurate shooter and don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Here it is a LAR-6 A4 Mid-Length

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab167/amprecon/011.jpg

JustinJ
February 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
I built an SPR type upper with a stainless steel 20" RR barrel. Its sub moa but i suspect over gassed as with my can it dumps far more gas in my face than my 16" Colt with same can.

benEzra
February 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
I have a 16" RRA midlength.

Pro: Absolutely reliable so far, fit and finish is very good, accurate, great trigger.

Con: They did a lousy job staking the gas key screws and didn't stake the castle nut at all (a LE AR armorer kindly did the gas key staking for me and I did the castle nut). The barrel on mine is heavier than most AR's, which is the one aspect of the rifle that I'd change if I could. I replaced the flimsy charging handle with a BCM Gunfighter.

So overall? I like mine, but for the same money I might could have gotten a BCM had I shopped around, and it did require some touch-up work. I did get a chrome lined barrel and 5.56x45mm chamber; not all RRA's do (it was an extra-cost option on mine).

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129319&stc=1&d=1287541080

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129320&stc=1&d=1287541080

Captains1911
February 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
You can do better for the money. I have owned 2 RRA and had problems with both.

But if "fit and finish" is your top priority, you will probably be happy with a RRA.:scrutiny:

NYH1
February 23, 2012, 01:02 AM
My first AR15 was a RRA A2 Tasc Rifle 16" middy. Bought it new back in 2002. I sold it four years later to buy better (Leupold) scopes and a AR with the A3/A4 flat top. I got what I paid for it. I never had any trouble at all with it. I sold it to a good friend. Him and his son have shot the crap out of it with no problems. I just didn't think it would take me four years to buy the scopes I wanted to buy and buy another AR15.

I shot my friends Stag model 3L (left hand model) this past summer. Even though I'm right handed I still liked it a lot. Having had good luck with my RRA, when I was shopping for a new AR15, I was looking at RRA and Stag. My FFL said getting a RRA would take up to 90 days. I wasn't that proud of my last RRA to wait 3 months for another one.

Two weeks ago I bought a Stag A2 complete lower half. When I picked it up I had my FFL get me a price on a complete upper half. He gave me a great price on Stag's model 1H with the Plus Package. I have $844 invested, tax and shipping included. My son, my wife and I have shot 230 rounds through it. I couldn't be more pleased.

NYH1.

RangerHAAF
February 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
You can do better for the money. I have owned 2 RRA and had problems with both.

But if "fit and finish" is your top priority, you will probably be happy with a RRA.:scrutiny:
Reliability and field accuracy are my priorities and the LAR-8 mid length A-4 meets my standard.

Welding Rod
February 23, 2012, 04:50 PM

True.

If hitting small things at long distances is your priority, you will also probably be happy with a RRA.

If a good trigger pull out of the box is important to you, again, you will also probably be happy with one.

Captains1911
February 23, 2012, 07:53 PM
Realize that with that RRA trigger pull you sacrifice reliability.

And I'd prefer a chrome-lined bore out of the box rather than a minuscule increase in accuracy that most shooters won't even notice.

I'm glad you like your RRA, but don't be one of these people that fail to acknowledge the differences.

Welding Rod
February 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
No question, all equal, a minute and precise engagement surface will not last as long as a generous one.

I have a 20" SS barreled Standard A2 RRA... it is a 3/4 MOA gun. My chrome lined A2 Standard RRA is a MOA gun with match ammo, so I agree that there is not really a good reason not to opt for chrome if you aren't going to go stainless.

I own 2 20" BCMs (gov profile) too. Different guns for different purposes. If I really want to make a challenging shot, I will definitely be reaching for one of my RRAs and not one of my BCMs. I would also grab the RRA if I wanted to reload the brass since they don't stretch it near as much. If I anticipated a fire fight, I would grab the BCM.

Longrifle2506
February 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
I think RRA is the best thing going. When they say 3/4 MOA accuracy on the Coyote Carbine; They mean it. I shot 3/4 inch groups with mine and I was just resting the rifle on top my car. I am confident it can do better off sand bags.
I owned a Colt 6731 Competition HBAR for Ten years. I loved it; and I did shoot a half-inch group with it once(5 shots, 100yds); I ended up selling it during tough times. I told myself I would replace it with a Coyote Carbine one day. I finally was able to buy a Coyote Carbine Last Summer, and I love the rifle much more than the Colt. I love the butt stock; how it holds 4 AA batteries or 6 CR123 lithiums. I love the fact that it does NOT have a front sight post; which allows for lower scope mounting; Plus, the weaver rail gas block is awesome!; I put a 190 Lumen weapons-mount LED Light on my gas block; and it looks like it was made to be there. I absolutely love the Hogue handguard, it's very grippy. I bought a Bushnell 3200 3-10x40(short action) scope for $200 from the sportsman's guide; and mounted it on the RRA on a Burris PEPR mount. Awesome set-up. That short action scope looks like it was made for an AR! It is in perfect proportion with the rifle. Right now, you can get that same scope from Natchez Shooter's Supply for like $159; but believe it won't be in stock for much longer. Those elite's are going fast at prices that low. Well I hope this might give you a little more confidence in choosing a RRA rifle. I think the only two rifles RRA claims shoots 3/4 MOA is the Coyote Carbine and the Predator Pursuit. There might be another one; but I think it's just those two. My Rock River came with a RRA scope Mount; but I sold it on Ebay and bought the Burris PEPR mount. But it's cool that they come with a mount.

Oh Yeah, the Smith Vortex Flash Hider on the Coyote Carbine is an awesome looking flash suppressor. I don't think you'll be disappointed in RRA. Go for it!

RangerHAAF
February 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
I think RRA is the best thing going. When they say 3/4 MOA accuracy on the Coyote Carbine; They mean it.

I agree 100% and a lot of people will never be satisfied no matter what the brand is.

browningguy
February 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have had an RRA lower for several years with their match trigger and couldn't be happier with it, shooting everything from .223 to .50 Beowulf. I don't know of any reliability problems with their trigger at all.

I'm also now shooting their 18" heavy barrelled ATH upper and really like it a lot. It doesn't have chrome lining, which is good, because I didn't want it. I like stainless better.

jgh4445
February 23, 2012, 10:57 PM
I had an S&W stripped lower that I put a RRA LPK in. Also added a Hogue overmolded "sniper" ( yeah right) grip. Then I ordered a RRA Coyote Carbine complete upper with chrome bolt. I put a 6 position stock on it. I also have an ACE ARFX to put on it as a fixed stock. Got some Magpul BUIS on it. Tried it out and knew immediately the RRA single stage stock trigger had to go! It was absolutely the worst trigger I have ever felt. Replaced it with a Chip McCormick 2 stage and went to the range. ( Heard the RRA National Match is a great trigger too, but have no experience with it. Wish I had ordered the LPK with that option in the first place) Very accurate with just iron sights and white box ammo. Functions flawlessly. This weekend am mounting a Ziess Conquest 3-9X40 on her and gonna see how she does with my handloads. I'm thinking she'll be a keeper.

FlyinBryan
February 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Realize that with that RRA trigger pull you sacrifice reliability.

i wouldnt mind hearing how a rr trigger affects reliability.

RangerHAAF
February 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
Yes I haven't heard that one before.

Captains1911
February 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
RRA 2-stage triggers are notorious for failing under hard use, or after round count starts adding up. This is well documented. It is a good feeling trigger, I have one in a range rifle, but I'd be cautious of using one in a defensive rifle.

RangerHAAF
February 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
RRA 2-stage triggers are notorious for failing under hard use, or after round count starts adding up. This is well documented. It is a good feeling trigger, I have one in a range rifle, but I'd be cautious of using one in a defensive rifle.
I guess that could be true for you and your personal experience with them but I don't personally know of a Rock River owner or dealer who would agree with that statement. Plus I'll probably never fire anywhere near that amount in the lifetime of my gun, so I'll personally never know.

Longrifle2506
February 24, 2012, 12:31 AM
Dang, if that's the case I may have to get a Jewell. The one thing I do miss about my Colt was the two stage Jewell Trigger I bought for it. It was a Drop-In too! However, the two stage match trigger that comes with the Coyote Carbine is not bad at all. At least, I don't feel like it's necessary to go spend $200 on a Jewell Drop-In; If the RRA trigger was unsatisfactory I would have replaced it. I love the Winter Trigger Guard; so you can fit a gloved trigger finger through it.

But if RRA triggers really are failing in high numbers; I may have to invest in a Jewell, or maybe there's some other good two-stage triggers out there.

You never know, all of our round counts may be adding up if the zombies ever come!

Welding Rod
February 24, 2012, 01:02 AM
When they say 3/4 MOA accuracy on the Coyote Carbine; They mean it. I shot 3/4 inch groups with mine and I was just resting the rifle on top my car. I am confident it can do better off sand bags.

I think you may be right. My 16" Varmit RRA has shot sub 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups. I consider it an ~ .6X MOA gun. I believe it is the most accurate gun I have ever owned, or shot.

BTW, when I wrote about my 20" SS Standard A2 above I incorrectly typed "2". It is not an A2, it is an A4.

Longrifle2506
February 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
Yep, they sure are accurate, and something else I forgot to mention is: My Colt had plenty of slop/movement from lower to upper receiver; meaning I could wiggle the lower/upper receiver and there was movement. An accuwedge tightened it up; but my Rock River Coyote Carbine = virtually zero movement compared to the Colt. Tight as can be. It is so much tighter than my Colt was. Now, this may not mean a darn thing; because the Colt was accurate. But it's a mental thing with me. I like an AR with minimal/zero movement between receivers.

But yeah Welding Rod, they sure are tight grouping rifles. What amazes me, is this accuracy is coming from a semi-automatic. Heck, many Bolt rifles don't even shoot 1/2 to .6 MOA. I really haven't shot my Coyote Carbine at all; just to zero the scope. I need to get back to shooting my rifles more; I guess I like to save ammo. I don't have cheap ammo; just 300 rounds of Federal Premium Law Enforcement 64 grain Soft Points; which are the ultimate against coyotes. I'm confident my Coyote Carbine could shoot sub .6 MOA off bags; maybe even .5 MOA. It depends on me; every day at the range is different. I have bad days behind the trigger some days; and its definitely because I don't practice much anymore.

Captains1911
February 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
I guess that could be true for you and your personal experience with them but I don't personally know of a Rock River owner or dealer who would agree with that statement. Plus I'll probably never fire anywhere near that amount in the lifetime of my gun, so I'll personally never know.
So now you are dismissing known reliability issues just because your personal experience, which you admit is limited, doesn't support it.

As I said, for certain applications the RRA 2-stage trigger is great, but for a hard use or defensive rifle, it's not the best choice.

Big shock that a RRA dealer would not agree....

Captains1911
February 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
But if RRA triggers really are failing in high numbers; I may have to invest in a Jewell, or maybe there's some other good two-stage triggers out there.

They don't necessarily fail in high numbers, but they do have a higher failure rate than the standard GI trigger. Instructors and armorers who are exposed to large sample sizes of rifles conform this. Geissle 2-stage triggers have a much better reputation for reliability.

RangerHAAF
February 24, 2012, 12:57 PM
So now you are dismissing known reliability issues just because your personal experience, which you admit is limited, doesn't support it.

As I said, for certain applications the RRA 2-stage trigger is great, but for a hard use or defensive rifle, it's not the best choice.

Big shock that a RRA dealer would not agree....

Yes I am because personal experience is all that matters here, everything else including my own observation are opinions and my opinion doesn't square with yours.

Captains1911
February 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Yes I am because personal experience is all that matters here, everything else including my own observation are opinions and my opinion doesn't square with yours.
Really? So if was to say that a Ferrari is faster and handles better than a Ford Focus without ever personally driving either or witnessing a head to head race, than based on your logic my statement should be considered purely opinion and nothing more?

Now lets say that I am a car enthusiast but have still never driven either, am I more credible then?

And lastly, let's pretend that I have never driven either, but am an enthusiast and know and converse regularly with professional mechanics and drivers, people who all confirm that idea, then is my statement credible?

Rather than arguing about this, why don't you get out there and do your own research on the matter, then report back. Buy now.

RangerHAAF
February 24, 2012, 05:34 PM
Really? So if was to say that a Ferrari is faster and handles better than a Ford Focus without ever personally driving either or witnessing a head to head race, than based on your logic my statement should be considered purely opinion and nothing more?

Now lets say that I am a car enthusiast but have still never driven either, am I more credible then?

And lastly, let's pretend that I have never driven either, but am an enthusiast and know and converse regularly with professional mechanics and drivers, people who all confirm that idea, then is my statement credible?

Rather than arguing about this, why don't you get out there and do your own research on the matter, then report back. Buy now.
I've formed my opinion based on my experience with the Rock River rifle that I own and shoot and you have apparently formed your opinion based on the rifles that you claim to have owned. We both have formed our differing opinions based on these experiences; I'm not saying that you're wrong but it does seem that you're the only poster complaining about something that the rest of the posters consider irrelevant.

So goodbye to you also.

wnycollector
February 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
If hitting small things at long distances is your priority, you will also probably be happy with a RRA.

+1 on this. My RRA ATH has been incredibly reliable and accurate. I have put ~2500 rounds through it and I have never had a single hiccup. When I load FGMM or BH 77gr OTM's this rifle can shoot .6-.7" groups at 100 yards with boring consistency.

As far as the RRA 2 stage trigger goes, I have five of them. Their round count ranges from ~1K to over 5K rounds and I have never experienced an issue. Granted an N of five is not a big sample size, but 100% of my RRA triggers are G2G.

SwampWolf
March 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
RRA 2-stage triggers are notorious for failing under hard use, or after round count starts adding up. This is well documented.

I shoot competitively at Camp Perry with a Rock River AR-15 "service rifle" with the National Match trigger and have yet to encounter a trigger-related problem nor have I ever talked with fellow competitors who use this trigger who have ever experienced any problem with this trigger that is in any way associated with long term usage.

I'd like to see where you found this "well documented" information-and I'm not especially interested in someone's personal experience, internet hyperbole or claims that "instructors and armorers" agree with you. I am interested in learning of any documented empirical data that might support your allegation.

RangerHAAF
March 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
I shoot competitively at Camp Perry with a Rock River AR-15 "service rifle" with the National Match trigger and have yet to encounter a trigger-related problem nor have I ever talked with fellow competitors who use this trigger who have ever experienced any problem with this trigger that is in any way associated with long term usage.

I'd like to see where you found this "well documented" information-and I'm not especially interested in someone's personal experience, internet hyperbole or claims that "instructors and armorers" agree with you. I am interested in learning of any documented empirical data that might support your allegation.
Guys like him are just spouting their baseless opinions to see what kind of reactions they can get from those of us who actually do shoot Rock River rifles and can speak with empirical experience to their quality and our personal satisfaction with them. Nothing more than a troll with an "opinion".

gotboostvr
March 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
The complaints about the triggers going tits up seems to be coming from the run-and-gun camp, where their rifles get a little bit more beat up diving into prone positions, getting bumped up against a brace etc.

I haven't witnessed it first hand, but as a "run-and-gunner" I've seen and heard enough cases of acquaintances rifles going south because of them to shy me away for any kind of "serious" use.

For benchrest/high power type shooting, or stand hunting, I wouldn't mind one personally.

RangerHAAF
March 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
The complaints about the triggers going tits up seems to be coming from the run-and-gun camp, where their rifles get a little bit more beat up diving into prone positions, getting bumped up against a brace etc.

I haven't witnessed it first hand, but as a "run-and-gunner" I've seen and heard enough cases of acquaintances rifles going south because of them to shy me away for any kind of "serious" use.

For benchrest/high power type shooting, or stand hunting, I wouldn't mind one personally.
Fine, I can understand that and it makes sense but the previous poster making dubious claims that most shooters would never encounter shouldn't come here berating the rest of us like we're crazy just because we disagree with him and have never experienced "trigger failure" with our rifles as he claims he has with his.

VeryOldDog
March 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have an RRA Tactical Elite as a number of you have already mentioned. I also have a DPMS Lo Pro Operator. I find both firearms very reliable and I would definitely purchase another RRA if the opportunity prevailed.

I know that on this forum as a whole that there are a lot of dissenters with respect to firearms like DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, etc., etc. Comments have been made that if you do not buy a Colt or configure an upper and a lower with specialize parts that these brands are a piece of sheite. I find that the arrogance of these "know it all" posters to be disingenuous.

I can tell you from personal experience that the M-16 that I was issued on January 1, 1968 in Viet Nam was a poorly made firearm. Some liked it and had good success. Mine jammed up all the time. After 30 days, I turned it in for something from WWII.

So when I decided to purchase a firearm based upon the AR platform, it took me a lot of convincing. The major reason why I chose the AR platform over the AK platform at the time is because it was easier to add an optic to the configurations that were available in my local gun store. The RRA and the DPMS that I own are used for Prairie Dog removal and varmint hunting on the ranch. Each must have more than 3000 rounds through each of them with the use that my wife and I give them. Not once have we had a failure. I am more than satisfied with these brands. And, as I said before, I would not hesitate to purchase another again. They are significantly more reliable than what was issued to me in Viet Nam.

Just because we own a RRA or a DPMS or one of the other name manufacturers, I do not believe that we should be looked down upon with an inferior product. That is bull sheite.

With kind regards,

Ed

RangerHAAF
March 14, 2012, 07:48 PM
I have an RRA Tactical Elite as a number of you have already mentioned. I also have a DPMS Lo Pro Operator. I find both firearms very reliable and I would definitely purchase another RRA if the opportunity prevailed.

I know that on this forum as a whole that there are a lot of dissenters with respect to firearms like DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, etc., etc. Comments have been made that if you do not buy a Colt or configure an upper and a lower with specialize parts that these brands are a piece of sheite. I find that the arrogance of these "know it all" posters to be disingenuous.

I can tell you from personal experience that the M-16 that I was issued on January 1, 1968 in Viet Nam was a poorly made firearm. Some liked it and had good success. Mine jammed up all the time. After 30 days, I turned it in for something from WWII.

So when I decided to purchase a firearm based upon the AR platform, it took me a lot of convincing. The major reason why I chose the AR platform over the AK platform at the time is because it was easier to add an optic to the configurations that were available in my local gun store. The RRA and the DPMS that I own are used for Prairie Dog removal and varmint hunting on the ranch. Each must have more than 3000 rounds through each of them with the use that my wife and I give them. Not once have we had a failure. I am more than satisfied with these brands. And, as I said before, I would not hesitate to purchase another again. They are significantly more reliable than what was issued to me in Viet Nam.

Just because we own a RRA or a DPMS or one of the other name manufacturers, I do not believe that we should be looked down upon with an inferior product. That is bull sheite.

With kind regards,

Ed
Right on.

briang2ad
March 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
Back to the original question from the OP:

What do you want it for? That is the question.

If you ONLY want a paper punching competition gun, or a varmint AR, RRA makes an accurate gun to that purpose. You may still have to do some work on it as it is sited here. Loose and un-staked gas keys seem to be a problem. In a serious use situation, this would be fatal.

If you want a carbine to run courses, train, for LE, serious 'combat' use, you should try something else.

Robert
March 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
This thread is six, 6, years old. I would be willing to bet that the OP has made up his mind by this point so we are going to call this one done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River Arms Review?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!