Shepherd Scope on a Fighting Rifle

PDA

Anthony
May 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
Shepherd scopes have ganished quite a reputation over the years as a top quality hunting scope. That said, their catalog features several military and police users utilizing them for precision shots. They also have an entire line known as the counter sniper series. That have 18 and 24 inch circles for ranging the targets.

While I know military rifle targets are 18 inches across from the brochure, which measurement would be best for engaging B-27 targets on the range as well as real life BGs should the day ever come?

To me, it would seem the 24 inch circle would work best measuring across the shoulders.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shepherd Scope on a Fighting Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK103K
May 15, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'd go with the 18" circles. I think you'll find the "average" person is closer to 18" from shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to waist.

The 18" circles also work well on woodchucks (roughly tip of the nose to the tip of the tail )

I had one of the early Shepherd's when they first came out and loved it. Worked exactly as advertised. Its one of the few things I wish I hadnt parted with. I sold it to a buddy in a weak moment and have been trying to get it back ever since. He wont part with it and rubs it in every time I bring it up..

rockstar.esq
May 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
I'm glad to hear some positive points about this scope. I've encountered a number of folks who've said that the reticle came apart from the recoil. I even posted here a while back to ask about them with only minimal replies. In any event, I didn't buy one and ended up with an IOR 2.5-10x44 that has worked very well.

AK103K
May 15, 2006, 08:12 PM
Mine was/is on a Remington 700 Varmint in .308. I never had any kind of troubles with it. I shot the hell out of it too.

You could dial off for windage and dial it back to zero using the tic marks and it was right back on, or close enough that you couldnt say it wasnt you or your ammo.

The one shot zero worked pretty good too, but its not perfect. You still needed to tweak it a little. The way it holds zero will tell you instantly if its not. If you forgot to dial it back or if somebody screwed with it, was instantly noticeable and easy corrected.

I only paid about $450 for mine, but that was back in the late 80's. It still cost more than the rifle.

Hmmm, I think its time to call my buddy up again and say hey. :)

carebear
May 16, 2006, 02:22 AM
My co-boat/dive locker NCOIC was a scout-sniper and he liked the Shepherd on his own rifles. 18" is the right diameter for a man.

Quick evidence? Measure the width of a hanger from your closet.

jem375
May 16, 2006, 10:24 AM
I have 2 Shepherds.......1 is for my 7MM STW and the other is for my ar15...I really like the scopes and they do work as advertised about the 1 shot zero...

If you enjoyed reading about "Shepherd Scope on a Fighting Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!