Fish and Game Activity Calendars

PDA

gotguns?
May 15, 2006, 05:59 PM
What is your opinion on these calendars? Do they work? If so, what do they work for? Deer? Pig? Turkey?

If you are a believer, whose calendar do you like?

If you enjoyed reading about "Fish and Game Activity Calendars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
May 15, 2006, 06:40 PM
I've never used them because it always seemed that when everything favored the hunting, I was stuck with something else to do.

However, the solunar tables apparently give reasonably good odds. There's no such thing as "always" or "never" in hunting and fishing, though.

Lotsa folks swear by them...

Art

'Card
May 15, 2006, 06:45 PM
I've watched them out of curiousity, but I've never seen a direct correlation between game activity and what was predicted on the calendars and tables. At least in the mountains, I tend to think activity has a lot more to do with local weather conditions than anything else.

*shrug*

That doesn't mean that I don't think there's anything to them at all. Just that I've never been impressed enough by them to use them for planning purposes.

Polishrifleman
May 15, 2006, 06:57 PM
I only look at them during hunting season because it is an option on my gps and the peak times always seem to be after it is way to dark so I haven't thought much about them and there accuracy.

frankt
May 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
I go hunting and fishing whenever I can regardless of the Solunar tables. However I do look at them.

For deer movement especially I have noticed an increase in all wildlife activity when the times are supposed to be best. Numerous times the woods have been basically silent and then I start seeing squirrels,birds and sometimes even deer. I check later on the chart and usually that time I saw the activity will be listed as a good time on the charts.

Of corse a change in weather,cold front or any other disturbance can totally mess up what should be peak activity times.

They are still interesting to look at sometimes.

gotguns?
May 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
I bought one of these calendars this weekend. This weekend (5/26 and 5/27) are rated as the best days to hunt in May. Just an FYI in case you can get out to get something.

Kingcreek
May 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
The only real strong correlation I've noticed is that activity peaks when I'm not there.
"shoulda been here 2 days ago. fish were bitin like crazy"
"shoulda been here a week ago, elk were everywhere."
"you're a week early. geese aren't down yet."

gotguns?
May 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
Amen to that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fish and Game Activity Calendars" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!