Question about this gun.

PDA

sjohns
May 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
Is this gun already configured to accept a cartridge cylinder?

Its a bp gun as you can see in the second picture, but has a loading gate as you can see in the first.

Sure I understand that the loading gate is there to install caps. But it seems like all that is required is getting a proper cylinder. Am I right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about this gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
May 16, 2006, 01:21 PM
That, and a new hammer, and fitting the cylinder, etc. R&D is working on a drop in conversion for the 1873 C&B revolvers.

sjohns
May 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
Thank you.

Ferret
May 16, 2006, 05:19 PM
Have a read of this (http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,9110.0.html) page

I was looking into this subject / gun and read I thought I could put a 45 Colt cylinder and hammer in it and have a cart gun, but the C&B cylinder is longer, and the barrel would have to be set back about 1/8 an inch, then the C&B cylinder mouldn't work

It would be a lot of work to do on the Percussion 1873, especially setting the barrel back. Is it worth it to you?

Do you want a cheap(ish) Colt SAA clone or one where you can swap the cylinders between percussion and centerfire? If its swapping cylinders, then, I am afraid that it wont work.

Third_Rail
May 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
Like I said Ferret, R&D is going to be making a drop in cartridge cylinder.

Ferret
May 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
Whoops... missed that in your previous post. R&D Cylinders are good.. I have a couple of Remmie drop in's on loan from a guy at my club at the mo. As soon as I get the cash together, I am gonna be ordering my own set!!

sjohns
May 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks anyway Ferret!

No I would not like to do all that work.

It's going to be hard enough to grind out that 60 I have to accept a cimarron breech. I haven't gotten to it yet.

mrelijahgardner
May 16, 2006, 10:31 PM
A conversion kit is the best bet. I use one for my 1860 New Army. Only problem is it is more of a pain to load than just the regular black powder.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/

sjohns
May 17, 2006, 01:02 AM
The problem with Kirst is that they still are not yet selling a 60 kit with a loading gate. I had received email that they would, but the date has come and gone.

Smokin_Gun
May 17, 2006, 02:43 AM
If it's a Uberti 1873BP Midway is selling them from R&D...says the .080" bushing one is in stock, but not the .120". Uberti firing pin and cylinder are available, must drill out and make insert to modify the hole for the firing pin on BP frame. If you have a Pietta 1873BP your outta luck.
I got one in Uberti 1873BP 7 1/2" might be for sale...$280 + $10 shipping with loading tool.(like new)
Let me know if interested.

sjohns
May 17, 2006, 01:32 PM
I think I'm going to pass up the 73 model. Next month looks like when I can get the Dragoon cylinder.

Smokin_Gun
May 18, 2006, 12:44 AM
I still got one a them R&D Dragoon cylinders SJohns...stays loaded with 5ea 45LC. HeHe! My idea of home protection a Colt Dragoon with 35gr a FFFg BP, 255gr soft lead flatnose in her. I don't have to shoot um I can make um turn around and knock um out with it...LoL!

sjohns
May 18, 2006, 01:50 AM
hehehe I heard that!
It'll be about mid June before I get with you on that. I hope you will keep it for me.
I used to keep a very old .36 Colt repro in the drawer next to my head. I actually pulled it one night and put a hole in the window frame right next to a guy going out the window after I yelled at my wife to let go of him. (didn't really want to shoot him directly.... besides here in Crazyfornia you have no idea who will go to jail first) Now I keep either the converted 51 I created with 38 short colts in it or the Cimmaron 60 RM 44.

I have a 5.7 for back up.... hehehe

Smokin_Gun
May 18, 2006, 02:43 AM
LoL! That's a good one ...
Well I keep that Dragoon and an 1858 Rem around and the safe door open at nite. An Ithica Police Special Model 37, And there's a Ruger .357 Mag 2 1/2" stainless (158gr SJHP)if the LiL Lady ever needs to get her hands on it.
When I lived in the San Fernando Valley, CA/Van Nuys Late 1970's , had a burgular try to break in my neighbors at a Duplex I lived in. Held him at bay with a 12ga Mossberg 8 shot. With a few words I knew in Spanish he was face down spread eagle on the sidewalk when the Police pulled up. I placed the 12ga inside the door. The Police said I could do them a favor if they threw him through the window I could help him back out with the 12ga. It would cut down on the paper work, he was on his way to immigration. At the time it was funny I guess. They wished they could buy me a case a beer, but I never got it....LoL!
I don't know if that mentality of the PD here has changed but I surely don't want to find out. Anyway that's one reason i will not hesitate to use that 1858 Remington .44,. Ifin ya know what I mean.

sjohns
May 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
29 Palms is suffering the same fate as Palmdale, Lancaster, and from what I hear, Victorville where we are getting inundated by problem people from Compton and other crappy places.

Those folks could move out here and be free of it all, but No... they must cling to their naturalized proclivities. Had a door kicked in while we were in Prescott a couple of years back for Thanksgiving. Lost a precious 45 that time. Then the burglar.

Since then.. lights, cameras, darned security screen doors, small arsenal. They just built a 100 unit section 8 housing complex 100- 150 yards from here. This neighborhood WAS single family dwellings. Last year I refied and added a solar electric unit on the house. Now I feel screwed.

When I finish up this MA and get to work, we'll sell and move a little further out. I'm beginning to think that I can work here two years and build up a resume and possibly take off for Arizona.

mrelijahgardner
May 18, 2006, 01:47 PM
I moved from Califonia to Kentucky because I was tired of all the F'n burgluars and gangbangers. I grew up in Lucerne then moved to Los Angeles for work, Smart move. That lasted a little while then I just had enough and moved. I make the same amount of money but have half the living expense and bills. I would never go back. You could probably sell your house for an inflated price and retire back east.

c_yeager
May 18, 2006, 02:25 PM
Why does a BP gun have an ejector rod? Thats an odd looking thing right there. It must be a pain to load without a ram too.

Smokin_Gun
May 18, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'm gettin' pretty tired of all the crap infesting what was a fine commuity also. Freakin' boom boxes all hours of the nite blastin and shakin the walls. I'd love to be able to show them a real BOOM BOX! LoL!

C Yeager, surprizingily enough the loading tool that you can get for about $16 is actualy easier and faster to load if you have a flat spot to put ot on...if on foot walkin or no it's not easy, you would need to carry the tool or a spare cylinder. This was made by Uberti for Great Britian as the wanted the Colt 1873 SAA and were not allowed cartridge guns. A conversion kit is sold at Midway in .45 Scolfield for $229 I think, made by R&D. Compare it to a 1872 Colt Open Top in reverse...talkin bout the ejector. HeHe!
http://i4.tinypic.com/1037tr8.jpg

sjohns
May 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
c_yeager!
Here's the auction if you want to see it on Gunbroker. It comes with a loading tool. It is a bp imitation of an 1873 model. So it has the loading gate and ejector rod. Why? I dunno.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=48815602

SG... me too. I hate retreating from them, but if it is a path to peace around me, I'll take it til I can't move any more. I should try for a place with about 50 acres and pre dig some holes for when they begin showing up. hehehe

Smokin_Gun
May 19, 2006, 02:30 AM
I hera ya SJohns, my back can't take that anymore...I'd need a backhoe and alot of Lye. LoL!

c_yeager
May 19, 2006, 02:41 PM
That whole thing is pretty cool. I bet Colt never expected his fancy new cartridge gun to be converted to a cap & ball gun. Goes to show that people will always find a way to get what they want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about this gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!