New Old Army 44

PDA

huli
May 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
I found this in a local bulliten. I talked to this guy and this was his father-in-laws revolver and its unfired he thinks. The gentleman has passed and this guy is wanting to sell it and does'nt know anything( like Me ) about them . It has wood grips and a blued steel frame and backstrap, brass trigger guard. He says that on the barrel it only says Made In Italy. Does anybody on here know who would have produced this pistol? Any clues on the value, I can get it for 175.00 Thanks Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "New Old Army 44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
May 16, 2006, 05:33 PM
Well, it ain't a Ruger Old Army. Sounds like a Remington '58 clone (back strap), blued, that's a decent price. I haven't found any cheaper than about 200 bucks. The one I've found for 200 has a five inch barrel and I've been tossing about the idea of ordering it.

ArmedBear
May 16, 2006, 07:45 PM
Brass triggerguard w/ steel frame and backstrap probably means it's a Colt 1860 Army or a Remington 1858 New Model Army.

(There's some debate about the Remmie's proper name, but most commonly you'll see 1858 and/or New Model Army).

Colt:
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/guns_1860Army.jpg

Remington:
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/guns_1858NewArmy.jpg

$175 for a recently-manufactured unfired Uberti with a polished blue finish (I got a matte blue for that price from a dealer last year) would be a fair deal, but nothing to write home about.

For an older Italian one, it's dubious. For a recent Pietta, that's Cabelas' price. For an old Euro Arms, you'd be getting ripped off, at least if mine is any indication. Poor hardening of action parts, weak springs, etc. mean that the gun, which is accurate, can be made into a good shooter, but must be worked on extensively. I wouldn't pay over $50 for it.

If it's an Italian-made Colt-branded repro, though, it's worth more as a collector and you should buy it.

MCgunner
May 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
Back strap. Well, I was thinking he meant the enclosed frame of the Remmie, or maybe the best part of the deer. :D

But, a picture's worth a thousand words!!!!

huli
May 17, 2006, 08:19 AM
Im going to look at the gun today. What type of markings do I look for to tell who manufactured this revolver? He says it only has made in italy on the barrel. Thanks Steve

The Sicilian
May 19, 2006, 12:04 PM
If it's a Pietta it will have that stamped on the side of the barrel. If it's a Uberti it will be stamped on the underside of the barrel, underneath the loading lever. There are also other maker's marks and proof marks to look for. You'll probably see some markings on the cylinder face and the sides of the cylinder that are stamped "PN" and a few smaller symbols to show it has been proofed and fired (Same thing?) If "Colt" is stamped somewhere on the frame then buy it up, that means it might be a nice repo. You'll find the "PN" and maybe something like "BT" or another letter/letter combo on the frame which indecates the year the revolver was made. Their are other makers besides Uberti and Pietta, but those two are the most popular. Uberti is commonly known to be the better maker of the two and of most of the others also. Anyone have any corrections to make on what I said? :scrutiny:

-mario.

huli
May 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
I bought the revolver it was a older euroarms excellent condition everything tight on it blueing perfect, and has a 5 digit serial number on the bottom of the grip in the metal area. it is the 1858 with an 8" barrel. I will probably pass it on though Im wanting a ruger. Ive got another 58 in excellent condition by ASM going to try to trade both for a Ruger. Thanks for all the replies Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "New Old Army 44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!