Applied for my C&R; what should be my first purchase with it? :)

PDA

Falconeer
May 17, 2006, 08:53 AM
I sent out my application for my C&R yesterday. Anyone have any suggestions on my first purchase when I get it? :D

I'm looking for something inexpensive ($200 max), easy to clean, fairly inexpensive ammo (I reload so I can take care of that), and fun to shoot.

I like the idea of the a Mosin-Nagent M91/30 sniper-rifle to go with my Savage 10FP. That would be a fun collecting strategy; sniper rifles through the ages. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Applied for my C&R; what should be my first purchase with it? :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Technosavant
May 17, 2006, 09:46 AM
If not a M-N, then the SKS is also a good choice.

I might also recommend that you go with a K31, even though the ammo isn't plentiful or inexpensive. The supply is rapidly drying up, and if they are still around when you get your C&R, it would be a nifty piece for collection or maybe even investment. I would expect this rifle (currently selling for about $120-150ish where they are in stock) to end up running about 2-3x that in a few years (other makers are beginning to make the ammo, and if that ever becomes even moderately available, popularity of the K31 will go through the roof).

Ohen Cepel
May 17, 2006, 09:47 AM
K31 before they start going up. Not as many around as the other stuff.

Then a CZ-52.

DMK
May 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
I agree about the K31. I've heard rumours about no more coming due to new Swiss export restrictions. Regardless of whether that's true or not, the K31 is a fine rifle and loads of fun to shoot.

After that, get an SKS. I believe it's a requirement. ;)

Red Tornado
May 17, 2006, 10:17 AM
There are some CZ-52s available again, get 'em while they're hot. Also the K31. Hmmm, seems we're all thinking alike. Also if you can find a Swedish Mauser, that would be a great purchase, but it'll be over $200.

No shortage of Mosins or SKSs, so I'd hold off on those at least until you get the K31. Pistols may not be your thing, but CZ-52s are a blast.
RT

MechAg94
May 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
My first thought seeing this thread was a K31 as well. Very accurate rifle.

iamkris
May 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
I'd agree on the K31s. They will eventually dry up and the price will go up 2-5X. They're only $80 now.

CZ52s have already done it...price is 50% higher than they were 6 months ago.

Swede Mausers did it a couple of years ago...they are 2-3X more expensive.

Mosins (and especially the "snipers"...which really aren't...they are just put together by the importer that way) are not in short supply right now...wait.

Not sure the supply restrictions on the Russian-captured German Nazi 98Ks.

Falconeer
May 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice, folks!

The K31 sounds like a goodie. Also glad to see Lee makes dies for 7.5x55mm Swiss (I believe that's the K31 caliber). Where's a good source of info on them?

I like pistols as well, although ammo seems to go a lot faster through pistols. :p

Also can anyone point to a message/list of a good list of C&$ related business/info? If I'm going to 'drink the C&R kool-aid' I might as well get started. :p

Red Tornado
May 17, 2006, 10:51 AM
There are several lists compiled for C&R businesses, do a search and something should come up. Meanwhile to get you started, check AIM, SOG, Century International Arms, and Samco. Those are the first few off the top of my head.

Also check out http://p223.ezboard.com/bcurioandrelicfirearmsforum for lots of specific C&R info. Usually dealer lists to be found over there, too.

Start saving your money, you'll need it.:D
RT

ball3006
May 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
most of the surplus dealers have advertisements in there.......chris3

CZguy
May 17, 2006, 01:42 PM
When you get your license, send signed copies to Numrich, Brownells, and Midway for a discount. :)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Home/default.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Falconeer
May 17, 2006, 02:19 PM
When you get your license, send signed copies to Numrich, Brownells, and Midway for a discount.Most definitely. I need to get a list together of places that give discounts. :)

ball3006: Sounds like a plan!

smince
May 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Scan down about 3/4's of the page and there is a list of dealers to get you started.

I just recently corresponded with TAPCO and they accepted my C&R. I haven't ordered anything from them as of yet, though.

longhorngunman
May 17, 2006, 10:31 PM
Dang, didn't know Tapco accepted C&R's, havta send them mine. Falcon, other posters are correct, if you love fine firearms get a K31 while you still can. They are magnificintly well made and engineered, very accurate, most in good shape besides chewed up stocks (which can usually be prettied up) and just flat out unique. BTW if you reload they shoot .308 bullets just like .308 and 30-06 caliber, so plenty to be found. The brass is the only drawback but Graf's gets some in and the new Wolf brand is reloadable. www.surplusrifle.com and their forum www.surplusrifleforum.com are great sources of all things milsurp and link to most of the dealers. Definetly send your C&R to Midway, Grafs, and Brownells too, the savings on one $100 press at Midway easily paid for the cost of the C&R license.:)

longhorngunman
May 17, 2006, 10:33 PM
Dang brain fart, totally overlooked Smince's posting of the link to surplusrifle.:D

ArmandTanzarian
May 17, 2006, 11:12 PM
Don't get a K31 - leave them for me...ermm, I mean, because they suck.

lev83
May 18, 2006, 01:03 AM
M-1 Carbine or Garand from CMP. Really nice gun with great history.

trickyasafox
May 18, 2006, 02:42 AM
i got a pair of sks's. a m59 hand select and an excellent condit m59/66. i've said this about a dozen times but i'll say it again. Im very very pleased with these purchases! i ordered the m59 from SOG and the m59/66 from AIM. both companies are top notch and i would recomend either :)

smince
May 18, 2006, 04:56 AM
Dang, didn't know Tapco accepted C&R's, havta send them mine

There is a link to a section called "Dealer Sales" on their site. Send it "Attention: George Blackshaw".

jd46561
May 18, 2006, 06:59 AM
I think you should purchase a Swiss K31 before there all gone. Very accurate, cheap ,100.00 - 180.00 Very well built. You cant beat it for the money. Ammo is available.

Falconeer
May 18, 2006, 07:32 AM
Fantastic!
I got the list from the Surplus Rifle C&R page. Gonna be some mail going out when the C&R arrives. :p

The K31 sounds great! That'll be first on my list. Next will probably be a Mosin sniper. Then a Kar98k sniper. Then probably an SKS. I can see I'm going to be spending money on dies again. :p

smince
May 18, 2006, 07:28 PM
I got my C&R one year ago. The K31 was my first. It was $81.00 delivered from SOG. Hard to find a good one under $100 just a year later. for all the money I've "saved" on accessories from Brownell's, Midway, E-gunparts, etc, I wish I'd known about the C&R 20 years ago.

Just placed an order with TAPCO for an SKS T-6 stock. I can't tell you the discount, but it was significant in my opinion.

RuralTurtle
May 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
lev83, didn't know the CMP still offered carbines. Have they started?

Falconeer
May 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
lev83, didn't know the CMP still offered carbines. Have they started?Last time I looked they only had Garands, M1903s, and various .22s. Be kind of slick to get a hold of an M-1 carbine. My dad has a Garand that I lust after, and a M1903 would be good too.... WAY too many choices. :p

Niner
May 19, 2006, 09:52 AM
When you are first starting out with C&R rifles, one thing you should get is a copy of Firearms Asssembly/Dissassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles. It's by J.B. Wood. Whatever you buy you are going to need to take it apart and clean it. This book covers most of them you are likely to want to buy.

Falconeer
May 19, 2006, 11:50 AM
When you are first starting out with C&R rifles, one thing you should get is a copy of Firearms Asssembly/Dissassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles. It's by J.B. Wood. Whatever you buy you are going to need to take it apart and clean it. This book covers most of them you are likely to want to buy.Thanks for the suggestion!

candr44
May 19, 2006, 12:16 PM
My first purchase with my C&R was a CZ52 but if I had to do it again I would get a Swiss K31 first. A Mosin Nagant or Mauser would also be a good choice because the surplus ammo is still cheap.

I hope you have a good credit limit because you will probably be spending a lot on guns. You will also be saving a lot by being able to order them yourself.

I have the disassembly manual also and it is very usefull and well writen with good pictures. You can also find a lot more information on disassembly, cleaning, parts sources, and repair by searching the internet. The internet is full of experience that you don't get from the manual and it's free.

Falconeer
May 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
I'm already compiling stuff on the net, but I like having a written reference also. Ya never know when some of those web sites might disappear. :p

smince
May 19, 2006, 10:45 PM
Another good refernce is the hard copy catalog from Numerich Gun Parts Corp. Many exploded drawings of all the guns they sell parts for. A good reference for any gun owner, not just C&R.

chopinbloc
May 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
transit case full of sks rifles:evil:

qajaq59
May 20, 2006, 08:15 AM
For the money and looking for accuracy, I'd vote for the K31. However the ammo for some of the others is cheaper.

Falconeer
May 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
For the money and looking for accuracy, I'd vote for the K31. However the ammo for some of the others is cheaper.One of the advantages I understand of the K31 is the 7.5x55mm Swiss round uses a .308 bullet, exactly the same as the .308 Winchester round. As I already reload .308 for my Savage 10FP, it simplifies bullet purchase. :) I figure once I pick up 100-200 cases and get rid of the military crimp I'll be set. Plus Lee makes dies for the 7.5x55 Swiss. :)

aaronrkelly
May 21, 2006, 12:52 AM
Below is the list of C&R guns I have bought and really enjoyed

SKS (Yugo and Russian)
CZ52
Mosin Nagant M44
Nagant revolver
K98 mauser

Falconeer
May 22, 2006, 07:49 AM
Below is the list of C&R guns I have bought and really enjoyed

SKS (Yugo and Russian)
CZ52
Mosin Nagant M44
Nagant revolver
K98 mauserNice list! I'd like to pick up one of the Nagant revolvers. Do they shoot the same 7.62 as the Tokarev automatics?

aaronrkelly
May 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
No, they do not fire the same ammunition. The 7.62Nagant is very low powered. The 7.62x25 is very stout.....I suspect the mixup could cost you your fingers and surely your gun.

That aside, 7.62Nagant isnt exactly available everywhere so after some research I discovered ALOT of people shoot either:

.32S&W
.32S&W long
.32H&R magnum

out of their Nagant pistols. Nobody reported any problems. There is also a replacement cylinder available to fire .32acp out of the revolver as well.

I bought some .32S&W long and gave it a shot (pun intended). Shot just fine, fairly accurate and the shells ejected 90% of the time with just gravity....the other 10% just required very light taps with the ejection rod. No severe swelling.....I fired about 150 trouble free rounds.

I will keep shooting .32s&w long in mine.

Bob R
May 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
There has been some good advice, but, what you really need is about 20 stamps, 20 envelopes, and 20 copies of your C&R.

Then get a shotgun News and send one to anyone who deals in C&R guns.

Always....I repeat...always keep a copy of the C&R with you when you are out of your house. You will never know when you pop into a gun store, pawn shop, or whatever and find a gun you want to take home right then.

bob

CZguy
May 22, 2006, 10:50 PM
Always....I repeat...always keep a copy of the C&R with you when you are out of your house. You will never know when you pop into a gun store, pawn shop, or whatever and find a gun you want to take home right then.

I'll second that. I learned the hard way.

Falconeer
May 23, 2006, 07:50 AM
aaronrkelly: Thanks for the info. I was looking on Lee's web site but didn't see dies for the 7.62 Nagant. :)

Hmm.... copy of C&R in cars... in wallet... in laptop bag... where else.... :p

Falconeer
June 6, 2006, 08:49 AM
I received my c&r yesterday. Sent out app May 16th and received it June 5th. Three weeks, pretty quick turn around. I don't even have the info packet yet. :p

Squidward
June 6, 2006, 02:41 PM
I am waiting for my C&R to arrive. I will absolutely buy a K31 first. Inexpensive, accurate, loaded with history and surprizes and easy to disassemble!

Then I'll consider a Garand and/or M1 Carbine, probably an SKS and then ?????.

www.surplusrifle.com has lots of disassembly info on C&R firearms.

smince
June 6, 2006, 08:32 PM
I don't even have the info packet yet.

Mine came almost two weeks after my license.

If you enjoyed reading about "Applied for my C&R; what should be my first purchase with it? :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!