Nh Purchasing Laws

PDA

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 10:32 AM
I have been looking over the laws for purchase and ownership of a handgun, and the only thing I can find is it is unlawful for a minor to have possession. I am 18 and had wanted to purchase one, but just for shooting out in my woods and things like that. Of course I'm to young to carry and have no intent to do so anyways. So what would the situation be if I went to a gunstore asking if I could purchase a handgun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nh Purchasing Laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
May 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
They'd tell you no, as there's a Federal law preventing FFLs (gunstores) from selling you handguns until you're 21. Private transfers are OK in NH before 21, over 18, IIRC. Check with a lawyer.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 10:38 AM
Thats a crappy law. :mad: Becuase since I'm 18 I must be a hooligan drug dealing gang member who wants to stick a gun in the crotch of my pants and threaten to pop caps in people's asses while listening to music about murdering people.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
Quick reply by the way, it took less than a minute for an answer.

Third_Rail
May 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
That's my specialty.

Look in to black powder pistols; legal to buy at any age in NH, I believe, and you can buy them at 18 for certain. A lilttle slower to load, but more fun, more work cleaning, but again more fun. A thinking man's firearm.

Check out the black powder forum, it's a little lower on the site here.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
That doesn't serem very appealing to me, however bp rifles and muskets are pretty fun. But on the legal issue, if I buy a handgun from someone who is of legal age in a private sale, is that legal?

Third_Rail
May 17, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'm not certain of that, ask a NH lawyer.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
Any NH people here?

Car Knocker
May 17, 2006, 01:22 PM
From my copy of the BATF State Laws and Published Ordinances - 2005:

New Hampshire
159.12. Sale to Minors.

Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend or give to any minor any pistol or revolver shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. This section shall not apply to fathers, mothers, guardians, administrators or executors who give a revolver to their children or wards or to heirs of an estate.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 01:37 PM
So minor here means under 21, not under 18 right? Becuase this is what I was confused about

Car Knocker
May 17, 2006, 02:17 PM
"Minor" is a slippery term with variable definitions. Perhaps a simple phone call to the AG's office would provide an answer. The source I used for the quote in my previous post does not define the term.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 03:04 PM
I hate how laws are never clearly defined

Third_Rail
May 17, 2006, 03:08 PM
Like I said; ask an NH lawyer. Better yet, call the NH AG as was recommended; it's his job.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 05:49 PM
Sale to Juveniles

Shotguns, rifles and the ammunition for shotguns or rifles can be sold to anyone over 18 years old. It is unlawful for any licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector to sell or deliver any other type of firearm or ammunition to someone younger than 21 years.

The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 made it unlawful for any person to sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or ammunition only suitable for a handgun to anyone younger than 18 years old. It is also illegal for persons under the age of 18 to knowingly possess a handgun or ammunition only suitable for a handgun.
http://www.csgv.org/research/laws/index.cfm
Aren't those kind of contradictory? Yet there were written one right after the other. One says no person under 21 can buy something OTHER than a rifle or shotgun, but the second says younger than 18? ***:mad: WHY CANT THERE BE AN EASY:cuss: ANSWER! HAS THIS SCENARIO NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE? SOMEONE UNDER 21 IN NH ASKING TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN ***:cuss: :cuss: :cuss::banghead: :banghead: pardon my french. (These are federal laws BTW)

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 05:52 PM
A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

Guess this cancels out the other laws?

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 05:55 PM
WAIT WHATS THIS?

State Laws

The following is a list of additional restrictions imposed by individual states. Please note that cities and localities may have their own firearms ordinances in addition to federal and state laws. Some information on some of these laws is published in the BATF`s State Laws and Published Ordinances -- Firearms, available from the U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402 and on the web at www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/. However, laws change, so you should always confirm the law with the appropriate federal state and local law enforcement agencies.

New Hampshire - None

SO WHATS UP WITH THE PREVIOUS STATE LAWS I FOUND? I GIVE UP. I SHOULDNT HAVE TO CALL A FREAKING LAWYER FOR THIS CRAP. BACK TO MY RIFLES:scrutiny:

Car Knocker
May 17, 2006, 06:08 PM
Just think...you have a whole lifetime of this sort of stuff ahead of you! :evil:

Isn't dealing with the gummint fun???

RUT
May 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
Just go up to Riley's in Hooksett and ask them.

pdowg881
May 17, 2006, 07:13 PM
What's Riley's?
A local gunstore should know this right? Or do they just interpret the term miunor as they see fit? I'll just cut my rifle down to the action and 2 inches of barrel. lol. That would be easier than me legally getting a handgun.

zoom6zoom
May 17, 2006, 07:24 PM
Sure, and if you're caught with it, you'll have your gun ownership options clearly defined for the rest of your life.

5Wire
May 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
Call any NH Gun Shop.

NH Laws are referred to as RSAs (Revised Statutes Annotated). Here's a link to Title XII: Public Safety and Welfare (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII.htm)

Section 159:12
159:12 Sale to Minors. – Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend or give to any minor any pistol or revolver shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. This section shall not apply to fathers, mothers, guardians, administrators or executors who give a revolver to their children or wards or to heirs to an estate.
Source. 1923, 118:7. PL 149:12. RL 179:12. RSA 159:12. 1973, 528:87, eff. at 11:59 P.M., Oct. 31, 1973.

I couldn't find a real definition of "Minor" and I assume it is under 21. Maybe get your father, mother, guardian, administrator or executor to give you a revolver. There appears to be no age restriction on a carry permit.

Some other sites:
Packing.org (http://www.packing.org/state/new_hampshire/),

Gun Owners of NH (http://www.gonh.org/)

Third_Rail
May 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
pdowg881, that would be a short barreled rifle as defined by the NFA of 1934. Can't do that.

WeedWhacker
May 18, 2006, 06:49 AM
I am by no means an expert on the law. I have never seen a reference to "minors" meaning anything other than "persons under the age of 18".

Call the state's AG office to double-check the definiton of "minor", just to be safe, but plan on only being able to purchase a handgun from a private party until you turn 21.

5Wire
May 18, 2006, 08:14 AM
WeedWhacker's correct, most states, including New Hampshire, define a minor as under 18 years of age.

From the U.S. Code: 18 USC Sec. 922 (http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t17t20+523+10++%28handguns%2)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age...

All of which makes me wonder about the NH provision "...fathers, mothers, guardians, administrators or executors who give a revolver to their children or wards or to heirs to an estate."

Lawyer time.

Car Knocker
May 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
I believe that laws regulating the sale of alcohol define "minor" as someone under the age of 21. Like I said in an earlier post, it can be a slippery term.

M1911
May 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'll just cut my rifle down to the action and 2 inches of barrel. lol. That would be easier than me legally getting a handgun.That's a federal felony. In other words, a majorly bad idea.

Contact Gun Owners of New Hampshire. If they can't set you straight on the NH laws, then they can point you towards someone who can. http://www.gonh.org/

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm obviously kidding. You really think I'm stupid enough to cut down a rifle and then going far enough to try and shoot it? I thought that was an obvious joke but I guess some people seriously consider that? SHAME ON YOU:banghead:

cocojo
May 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
It seems like someone is pulling someones chain here. If this is a real question, then call your local authority in your town or the AG's office, it's free of charge. Seems like your trolling here. I can tell you that if you do cut a rifle to illegal size and get caught you will never see any type of gun ever again. Rifles & shotguns OK at 18 and 21 for handgun purchases. You can apply for a handgun permit at 18 ( State Law) but you cannot purchase a handgun at 18 (Federal Law). When your 21 you can buy whatever you want with a NH drivers license pending you have nothing on your record in regards to a felony or a restraining order or have been convicted of domestic violence. Go online and look it up under NH rsa's and read it for yourself. If you are trolling, go somewhere else for your games.

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 07:43 PM
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO RELAX. FIRST OFF ALL I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TROLLING IS SECOND OF ALL ITS A DAMN JOKE SO CHILL OUTY. HAHA I HAVE A BIG LONG GUN, SO IF I CUT IT IT WILL BE SHORt. YOU REALLY HAVE ISSUES IF YOU CANT SPOT THAT. WHY THE HELL WOULD I CUT MY MARLIN IN HALF. I'M SUPRISED AND PISSED OFF AT THESE YOUR GONNA GO TO JAIL RESPONSES. SORRY I EVER ATTEMPTED TO USE ANY HUMOR.

"I'll just cut my rifle down to the action and 2 inches of barrel. lol. "

READ A LITTLE CLOSER ITS A JOKE SO CHILL THE **** OUT THIS IUS THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING IVE EVER SEEN. IM NOT SURE IM EVER GONNA COME BACK HERE FOR ANY HELP SINCE THIS LITTLE LOL JOKE HAS TURNED INTO PEOPLE TELLING ME IM TROLLING OR GOING TO JAIL OR WHATEVER. IM PRETTY OFFENDED AND THIS IS THE SECOND TIME IVE HAD TO DEFEND THIS LITTLE JOKE SENTENCE I THREW IN THERE. SO IF YOU PEOPLE CANT DEAL WITH THAT THEN **** YOU ILL FIND ANOTHER FORUM. SHAME ON YOU THAT YOUR HUNG OF ON THAT. ITS A ****ING MARLIN bolt .22. IM SORRY TO SAY THAT THIS FORUM STATRED OUT AS A GOOD EXPERIENCE AND NOW I HAVE PEOPLE GOING INSANE ON ME. READ IT AGAIN BEFORE YOU START THREATENING ME IT A ****ING JOKE. REREAD THE ****ING POST. SO SHUT THE **** UP GOODBYE. AND YES IM ANGRY ENOUGH THAT I CAN NO LONGER EXPLAIN IT AND THIS TIME I HAVE TO USE PROFANITY TO GET MY ****ING POINT ACROSS.

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 07:50 PM
and u can thank cocojo for pushing me over trhe edge and telling me to stop my "GAMES" are you ****ing serious. ITS ONE LITTLE JOKE SENTENCE FOLLOWED BY LOL. HERE ILL EXPLAIN: person really confused about stupid little laws, cant find anything anywhere, jokes it would be easier to cut a rifle in half than figuring out the laws for NH handguns. SO **** YOU THAT IM TROLLING OR PLAYING GAMES OR WHATEVER. AND I HAVE READ THE ****IN RSA AND IM ASKING HERE FOR SOME CLARIFICATION. AS A MATTER OF FACT I HAVE QUOTED THE RSA HERE SO BEFOREW YOU INSULT ME WITH THE **** INSISITIONG IM PLAYING GAMES WHY DONT YOU ACTUALLY READ WHAT IM ASKING. and for all those of you who helped and have the brains to decipher humor, especially when theres an lol (WHICH YOU MUST BE RETRDED TO THINK THAT STANDS FOR IM SERIOUS) thanks for your time and effort in heling me understand the laws.

cocojo
May 18, 2006, 08:16 PM
I can only speak for myself but the people on this board, have never talked about committing a crime, joke or not. We might have had some differences about issues, but that's what makes the board interesting. As for your profantity, your age is showing through. There is no need for this type of discussion. Look at it a constructive criticism, because you never know who your talking with or who might be on the other end. Many people have answered your question here, but you are still asking. This is an excellent board, hang around and learn from it, and don't be so quick to fly off the handle.

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 08:26 PM
Actually I was just reading a post about a guy asking if his guin will penetrate auto glass and tires. And excuse me if getting answers from multiple people is a bad idea. I'd reather go on the advice of multiple people than just one. And its not my age showing through, it's my frustration. So before you judge who I am take a second and think about how I feel when I say something as a joke, then get multiple people acting like I'm a lunatic for saying it. And I've seen many jokes worse than this just browsing in the last 15 minutes. One person said "over here in LA we just shoot peoples cars instead of honking our horns" Similarly, his sentence also included lol at the end. Not to mention he got friendly responses becuase it was an obvious joke. So before you go thinking everbody that's younger than you is some kind of immature thug, relax.

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
And no offense, but being younger than you and not in Law Enforcement in no way makes me inferior so don't treat me that way.

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 08:34 PM
"the people on this board, have never talked about committing a crime, joke or not."

IS THAT SO?

Car tires?

handgun will go through the tread..makes a puckered type hole that is much smaller than you'd xpect, but even normal handgun rounds (like the 9mm) do go through.

OF course, it's better to just shoot the driver. Proablm with shooting the tire is that the tires that are easiest to get a bead on, are usually the ones that make the car vear into your path.

here on the LA freeways we shoot at tires instead of honking

just so you know im not making those up. Just because they talk about it doesn't mean they do it. But maybe we should say that their playing games and trolling and in deep trouble for suggesting that. Or on the other hand we could recognize it as freindly joking and get on with the thread.:scrutiny:

pdowg881
May 18, 2006, 08:59 PM
Lets just agree to disagree, and I'll forget this thread exists.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nh Purchasing Laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!