As an MP, 1971, I fired a total of 50 rds

PDA

okeydoke
January 3, 2003, 11:00 PM
of .45 ammo, to "familiarize" and to "qualify" with the pistol. Very few military guys get to fire the pistol enough for it to amount to more than a club as a weapon. Nor do they get the chance to even dryfire it, practice gunhandling, etc. So don't kid yourself about them being any better off with a 1911 .45 than they are with an M9 9mm. If they hit anyone in the chest, repeatedly, as is likely to be necessary with either load, it will mostly be by pure luck(if it's done in time to save themselves, that is.)

If you enjoyed reading about "As an MP, 1971, I fired a total of 50 rds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Glockster35
January 4, 2003, 07:12 AM
I agree with you, in the Air Force we train our students with 24 rounds for practice and 36 rounds for Qualification. A total of 60 rounds.

For the lucky ones they get to fire once a year, others fire once every two years depending on what they do in the military.

IMHO it is not enough for anyone to go out once every couple of years and fire 60 rounds to be proficient.

Sisco
January 4, 2003, 08:47 AM
The Navy would sometimes hold a "FamFire" where you could go out on the stern of the ship and fire M14's & 1911's, five rounds through each.
If you hit the water with all ten rounds you were a qualified armed watch stander. :eek:

Hkmp5sd
January 4, 2003, 10:43 AM
The qualification test for a Remington 870 to become a "Nuclear Weapon Security Guard" on my submarine involved firing 3 shells into a sand filled 55 gallon drum.

Amazingly, every single one of us managed to qualify with perfect scores!:D

Peter M. Eick
January 4, 2003, 11:56 AM
Having never served (to young for vietnam, to old for granada) I am surprised at this. I assumed you all would be out on the range weekly/daily practicing and working on your accuracy. I assumed you all must have shot 10,000's round during your tours, not in the range of hundreds.

No wonder they switched from a 1911 to a M9....

Glockster35
January 4, 2003, 12:30 PM
Don't get me wrong,

As a firearms instructor I get to fire thousands of rounds per year on several different types of weapons systems.

I fire the M9 Beretta, M11 Sig, M16A2, GUU-5P Carbine, M870 Shotgun, M500 Shotgun, M249 Machine Gun, M60 Machine Gun and M203 Grenade Launcher.

Now I don't get to fire thousands per weapon, but all totalled I fire over 4,000 rounds per year...including my proficiency firing.

Keith
January 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
In the Coast Guard we were allowed to fire all the rounds we wanted until you (and the instructor) felt you were ready to fire the qualification course.
Most people on their annual qualification just considered it "free ammo" and would shoot until they got bored, then finish up with the standard slow and rapid fire 25 yard qualification.

I suspect this was up to the instructor, but these guys had an enormous ammo budget and were usually pretty generous.

Of course, not everyone had to qualify with a handgun, you were only required to if you were on a boarding team. For everyone else it was strictly voluntary. You could go along and shoot whenever they were heading to the range, just for practice.

They also has a sort of lame "Hogan's Alley" video shoot that wasn't very applicable to our situation - you weren't likely to run into a woman carrying bags of groceries on a Panamian fishing boat.

Keith

If you enjoyed reading about "As an MP, 1971, I fired a total of 50 rds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!