Carry Question - Offshore - Boat- FL

PDA

Diesle
May 18, 2006, 11:59 PM
Lets say you travel to Florida (keys) from a state without reciprocity (MN for instance....) and stay at a private residence that is right on the water. Certainly, you can carry all over the private residence without issue... assuming that the owner is cool with it… question is can you get on a boat directly from that residence and carry legally while out on the water. In other words, when you’re out on the Gulf or Ocean, what rules apply?

Diesle

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Question - Offshore - Boat- FL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
May 19, 2006, 01:14 AM
Coast Guard. I dunno what their rules are. I know a lot of fishermen carry some sort of firearm to shoot barracuda and sharks.

As far as the state of Florida, they seem to be lenient for someone who's travelling in a car; might be lenient about boats. Dunno.

Art

publius
May 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
I don't know if it's legal, but no one in the Keys is going to care.

Azrael256
May 19, 2006, 07:54 AM
My question to you would be do you have any type of handgun training certificate, $120, and a few months before your trip? Florida is shall-issue, and is well known for issuing out of state.

XLMiguel
May 19, 2006, 10:12 AM
By all means check local laws, but if you live aboard teh boat, it's consisdered your home and it is generally OK to have a gun on board most in most states. If it's under lock & key while not underway, so much the better. 'Safe Journey' law may also apply, but IANAL.

jrou111
May 19, 2006, 11:25 AM
I would like to know the law on this here in AL as well. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to once you're in federal waters though.

LAR-15
May 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
State laws go out what 3 miles?

Thefabulousfink
May 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
IIRC once you are in International waters you could probably do whatever you want. The problem arises once you try to come back into port. Also, your handgun might be legal in FL, but I don't think it is legal in places like Jamaica or the Bahamas. Generally it is up to the local Port Athority (and bribes) if they let you keep the gun locked on your boat or arrest you for importing weapons.

c_yeager
May 19, 2006, 04:12 PM
State laws apply three miles out from shore. Generally, barring specific laws concerning boats, one would use the same laws as apply to motor vehicles. Florida has pretty friendly car/gun laws. You can keep it loaded and ready as long as it is "securely stored". Florida seems to define this as any type of storage that is off the body and requires some action to remove the weapon. An unlocked glove box is an example, but I believe a closed gun case works as well. Of course lord only knows there might be something burried somewhere in Florida law that gives extra rules to boats, but I couldnt find it. Outside of three miles and up to 200 your in Coast Guard controlled waters and as long as you arent violating the NFA you are pretty much OK whatever you are doing. Bear in mind that those are nuatical miles which are a little longer than "regular" miles so keep that in mind if you are setting up your GPS. Also, some states like to claim more than the standard 3 miles, I dont know if Florida is one of them.

Mannlicher
May 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
I think you are making a big deal out of a non issue. Whats your point?

Hawkmoon
May 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
Below the mean high tide mark on the beach, you are OFF the property owner's territory and on State territory, so at that point state law kicks in and the owner's permission becomes irrelevent. (This, by the way, applies in all states with tidal waterfront, not just FL.) Within state jurisdiction on a boat I would not care to guess whether or not "vehicular travel" laws would apply or not. I assume that State jurisdiction extends to either 3 miles or 12 miles offshore. Whatever the magic distance is, once outside of that I believe you are in international waters and neither FL nor U.S. federal law applies.

carebear
May 20, 2006, 12:09 AM
Whatever the magic distance is, once outside of that I believe you are in international waters and neither FL nor U.S. federal law applies.

Unless you're with a 16 year old Thai bar girl, then you're hosed. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Question - Offshore - Boat- FL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!