Colt AR-15 in 7.62x39mm - Questions

PDA

ArmandTanzarian
May 19, 2006, 12:22 AM
OK, my buddy has one of these, and he has a couple of questions:

1. Since they're not making them anymore, I assume they are a good collector's item, which will go up and up and value?

2. IF he wanted to change it to .223, could he simply swap barrels out, or would he need a whole new upper? I assume a whole new upper, or a least a swapped bolt/bolt carrier, since 7.62x39 is .447" and .223 is .378" case head size?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR-15 in 7.62x39mm - Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rexrider
May 19, 2006, 05:17 AM
1. Since they're not making them anymore, I assume they are a good collector's item, which will go up and up and value?

Hard to say if they are really a collector's item. There is not much of a demand for a 7.62x39 AR. There are just too many other options for that caliber. Another problem is hi-cap mags are very hard to find and if you do, they are expensive.

2. IF he wanted to change it to .223, could he simply swap barrels out, or would he need a whole new upper? I assume a whole new upper, or a least a swapped bolt/bolt carrier, since 7.62x39 is .447" and .223 is .378" case head size?

Just get a .223 upper. Otherwise you would need a barrel, bolt and bolt carrier, recoil spring and buffer ( I think they used a different buffer and spring). With a new upper (including bolt/bolt carrier, recoil spring and buffer) he can switch back and forth when ever he wants.

I bought a Sporter in 7.62x39 back in '93. It was fun and all once I found mags for it. However, I wish I had gotten it in .223. I did not keep it very long.

hso
May 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with Rexrider.

It wouldn't be worth the trouble of rebuilding the upper to shoot .223 when he can get an upper for nearly the same price and save the angst of building it himself (and risk screwing it up). If he paid a smith to do the rebuild he'd pay less for a seperate complete upper.

walking arsenal
May 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
As far as i know you'd only need a barrel and a new bolt.

I'm pretty sure you would not need a new buffer, spring or carrier.

Model 1 sales carries them as well as DPMS

ArmandTanzarian
May 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys - that helps me a lot!

DMK
May 19, 2006, 03:00 PM
I built my 7.62x39 AR. I used a Colt 7.62x39 Sporter barrel and bolt/carrier with USA Franken-mags. Everything else is regular .223 AR parts.

However, any Colt gun has a pretty good resale value. Colt has a very strong fan following. If that is a complete Colt 7.62x39 Sporter, I would not permanently modify it and if you do, keep the original parts from any temporary modifications. It would be worth more in it's original configuration. It may not be a very desirable model, but it isn't common and Colt fan who wanted one, would pay for it.

That said, he should get a complete .223 upper and leave the 7.62x39 upper complete. The ability to swap complete uppers between calibers is one of the best features of the AR. I regularly swap this upper, a 19" 22LR upper and a 16" .223 upper all on that same lower (all use different mags of course). It's like three guns in one and would save his gun's value.

http://home.mchsi.com/~davidkoch/myarms/762x39_AR.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt AR-15 in 7.62x39mm - Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!