Thinking of getting a Ruger Old Army from the Seventies

PDA

The Sicilian
May 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Anyone have any advice or know anything about them from the seventies? What kind of price would be fair for a Ruger from the 70's in good condition, target model?

-mario.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of getting a Ruger Old Army from the Seventies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
May 19, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ruger Old Army revolvers from the 1970's will be the same quality as the ones made in other decades. Ruger has never compromised with their premier blackpowder target revolver.

No better, no worst than today's model.

The Sicilian
May 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Her's the deal, I can get a brand new in the box Ruger old army, fixed sight for 50 buck cheaper or I can buy the target model (used from the 70's in perfect condition) Anybody have any good advice for me, I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do...both are going for a really good price, it's almost a blessing from God!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

-mario

huli
May 19, 2006, 05:17 PM
After you choose which one you want, let us in on the other one please Steve:what: :rolleyes:

The Sicilian
May 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
No problem...just give me a little more time and I'll direct you to the man.

MCgunner
May 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
My old army is an older one I bought used and it's been a GREAT revolver. So long as it's kept clean and lubed, it'll probably be here 500 years from now still shootin'. Thing is built that good. I do miss my stainless one, though. It got stolen.

The Sicilian
May 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
MCgunner you crack me up brother. Whoever stole your stainless should burn in hell for all of the pain they've caused you. :cuss: You can't speak of Old Army's without bringing up that beautiful stainless you had. I guess I can't blame you any, I'd be heartbroken too. I guess you're telling me I shouldn't mind too much that the Ruger Old Army I'm gonna buy is one of the first ever made huh? I've been a little concerned about the age and wonder if the barrel and rifling is still in good condition. The gun seller said it's in 95% condition, no pitting or rust, very few marks of any sort on the gun. By the way, it is a target model, but unfortunately it is not a stainless, and I wanted a stainless badly, but for the price I can't turn this one down. I'll just have to break down and buy another in stainless! :D

What kind do you have now? Is it a target model or fixed sight? Five and a half inch barrel or seven and a half inch barrel? How many shots do you get out of it at the range before you have to clean the cylinder and cylinder pin? How does it shot? Does it hit dead on or do you have to compensate, i.e., Kentucky windage? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just damn curious about how they handle all around and what you personally think of yours.

-mario.

RON in PA
May 20, 2006, 02:39 AM
If it's from the 70's it should have a 7.5 inch barrel with adjustable sights. Don't know when Ruger started stainless production, but for the first years all were blued. The same basic gun is still available new, but only in stainless. The only differences are steel (not aluminum) grip grames and rosewood grips. If the price is good and the gun is in very good condition go with the used one especially if you want an adjustable sight blued gun. The list price on new guns is over $600.

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
Ron,

Yup, it's a 7.5 in barrel. I checked the serial number and it seems to be from either 72' or 73', so it's one of the first they made. The grips look different than the newer ones, that's for sure, a little darker in color. Ruger Started making the stainless ones in 1976, at least by their serial number sequencing list. I'm glad I got lucky enough to find one like this, pretty cool.

There was another one, brand new in the box for only $300.00 bucks! I checked it this morning (I made my decision to by the target model) and, of course, it was gone, some dealer bought it, I think. For that price, brand new and boxed, with papers and the cylinder never turned, it was a steal, almost too good to be true. I almost feel sorry I didn't go with that one, but I really wanted ajustable sights. I already came down from wanting a Stainless to getting a Blued one, so I couldn't deal with a blued gun and fixed sights. Either way, I'm happy with my decision, as long as the gun is as nice as the guy says it is.

-mario.

MCgunner
May 20, 2006, 10:54 AM
What kind do you have now? Is it a target model or fixed sight? Five and a half inch barrel or seven and a half inch barrel? How many shots do you get out of it at the range before you have to clean the cylinder and cylinder pin? How does it shot? Does it hit dead on or do you have to compensate, i.e., Kentucky windage? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just damn curious about how they handle all around and what you personally think of yours.

I haven't actually seen the fixed sight guns until very recently. All the old guns were adjustable sighted 7.5" guns and that's what mine is. I think the fixed sight five inch guns are a product of cowboy action shooting which has gotten really popular in the last 15 years or so. I ain't into playing cowboy. If I was, I'd use one of my blackhawks. The Old Army is for USING in the field IMHO, but it'll play games, too. It's ultra accurate. My stainless one was late 70s and had a wider trigger than my blued one. The early ones had a rather narrow trigger and that's why I'm pretty sure the blued gun is an early production piece.

As far as the sights go, it shoots way too high and I have the rear sight lowered all the way down. My stainless one shot high, but not as high as this one. I have to put the front sight blade in the bottom of the rear and hold as if I had a full sight picture, target at the top of the rear sight, if that makes any sense. The cure is to put a taller front sight on it and I'm going to send it very soon to Jule to have that done and the cylinder bored. Then it should be an AWESOME outdoor gun. I intend to carry it hog hunting to back up my Hawkin. I want more fire power than the Hawkin if I just succeed in POing a big one. :eek: This area I wanna hunt is BP only.

I don't know if you can EVER wear out a Ruger Old Army if you take care of it, clean and lube it after every session soon after. The thing is built on a smokeless super blackhawk type frame. It's the proverbial bank vault. Just pull the cylinder, check the bore for pitting. Check cylinder for end play, timing, all the things you'd do with any used revolver. If there is excessive end play, it wouldn't be from pressure of the load, just from being fired everyday for 600 round or something, LOL! I don't think you'll find problems, put it that way, but if you do, bare in mind that the Ruger factory is very good about repairs and rebuilding worn revolvers to like new condition. Main thing I'd worry about with the gun is did the previous owner/owners clean the gun as they should? Is there pitting in the bore from lack of cleaning?

Buying a used Old Army is more like buying a used Blackhawk that's never fired anything, but .38 special than it is buying any other BP replica revolver. The things are QUALITY built and built strong, why the price is up there. It is a modern design gun, too, all coil spring, all the attributes of the strongest factory production revolver made (until the Freedom Arms came along), the Super Blackhawk. This ain't no 19th century design and it uses strong steels and excellent factory fitting. It don't get no better functionally, whether you like the looks of it or not.

And, yeah, I really lament the loss of that stainless gun. I really need to save for another, I guess. It was a heckuva shooter and so easy to clean up. It was a modern gun that you didn't need brass for. The blued one is just as good, I just prefer stainless and especially in black powder for a gun I'm going to actually be using in the field. For range queens, blued is just fine. I'll just have to take my cleaning kit with me on hunting trips, no biggy since the Hawkin ain't stainless, after all. Going to try 777 in that thing, though. Not sure how 777 would work in the Old Army, but might be worth a shot or two over the chronograph when I get the stuff and the bore done by Jule. :D

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
I guess they all shoot a little different, some high, some low, some right on, etc. I have a Hawkin rifle also...Thompson Center, all brass and wood, a beautiful rifle. I want to get into hunting this season, so I thought it might be a good rifle to buy. I picked it up for $199.00 used. They go for more brand new so I figure I did alright. I need to learn how to use it properly though. I don't know how to set the double trigger yet, I need some advice, MC?

Range queen, never heard that one before. Safe queen yes, range queen, no. I guess there's an insult for just about everyone :eek: Somebody out there probably thinks us BP guys are nuts or stupid for loving these revolvers, screw em'. By the way, the one that's on the way (Ruger) is a target model, not a fixed sight. The other one, the one that was new in the box was a fixed sight model. I think I'll be very happy with the one I chose. The gun seller said it was 95% and the picture he sent me looked pretty good. I asked him about pitting and rust, he said there was none and I believe him. He sounded like an honest guy. I can't wait for it to arrive...won't get to me until later next week. :(

If you want I'll post a pic of the Old Army that I'm getting?

-mario.

MCgunner
May 20, 2006, 11:51 AM
Post it up!

To me, a range queen is a nice gun that shoots well and is fun to shoot, but not really practical for any real world uses. I think of lots of guns that way, say, a P08 Luger would be a "range queen". I wouldn't use it for defense. But, they're BEAUTIFUL guns, works of art. Few semi autos are as pleasing to the eye to me as a P08, certainly NOT the 1911, which isn't a range queen type gun. So, I don't really consider it an insult, just that I like guns that have uses.

On the double set trigger, you can cock the gun, pull the rear trigger. That's the set trigger, that makes the front trigger very light. On mine, and maybe on yours, I can pull the set trigger before cocking and that will set the front trigger to light pull and it will remain set until it's pulled. Mine has a very stiff trigger if you don't set it first, sorta useless really. I don't know why the set trigger thing is so big a deal, maybe for safety, but I'd as soon have a single trigger that breaks at a crisp 3 lbs like my Remingtons and my Savage do. I haven't measured the break weight on the Hawkin, but it feels like maybe about 3-4 lbs, not bad at all. Does have a tiny little bit of creep, but it's nothing as bad as an SKS or something, LOL.

Got mine from Cabelas, a "Hawkin Hunter Carbine" for $175 some years ago. All I've ever shot with it is paper. Intended to take it to the New Mexico mountains for BP season, much better season out there, earlier, no snow, and a month long. However, that never happened. Now, though, I found this hog hunting area that's BP, shotgun, or archery only. I don't do stick and string and don't have a slug barrel and would LOVE to use this smoke pole for hunting, so that's the excuse I need to leave the .308 in the safe.:D

frosty
May 20, 2006, 12:15 PM
My Old Army is serial # from around 1985, and it is stainless, with an addition of pear grips...I truely love the gun, but I'd like to try One of the newer fixed sight versions, though:scrutiny: One could never have to many Old Army's, ya know, and I feel armed enough to carry it with me Hog hunt'n:banghead:

Tight_Wad
May 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
Here's my two:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/putsches/72b.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/putsches/6b.jpg

Tight Wad :)

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 06:41 PM
Ahhh....range queen, got you and it makes sense. Funny enough, I shot a Luger for the first time a few days ago and I'd have to agree with you. It was a parts gun, even though the barrel said "1910", wasn't that accurate, the front sight needed ajusting a little. I can't reallt tell the difference using the set trigger on the Hawkins rifle, may as well just have one trigger like you said, maybe there's a way to ajust it?

Remember, this picture isn't the best of the Old Army that's coming my way. Ther pic's you guy's sent were really beautuful. Man! I really love these guns! I wanted a stainless so bad too! Well, I may as well be grateful for being able to get one before I planned on it, and the price was reasonable so I can't complain.
I'll post another after I get it in my hands.

Here it is:

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
Tell me what you guys think of it!

-mario.

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
Tight wad,

That second one is the newest one, right, with the gloss finish in stainless? Very sweet, isn't called the Vaccaro or something?

-mario.

MCgunner
May 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
From what I can tell, dark picture, the finish looks near 100 percent. Looks like a good gun. Might be a little bit of pitting on the loading lever, but can't really tell. It's identical to mine. I've got some fake ivory grips on mine, but other than that, the gun is identical.

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah MC, the finish looked really good to me, too. I don't think there's any pitting on the loading lever, just a little grime, nothing more. The seller said there was absolutely no pitting and I believe him. Besides, I bought it on GunsAmerica, if I'm not happy with it I can send it back, no worries there. I told the seller that also, so I think he's being honest. Of course, he may be counting on me not bothering to send it back over minor pitting on the loading lever, who knows?

You've got ivory grips huh? That's funny, I was thinking of getting some Ivory grips to freshen up the look of my gun when it arrives...pretty strange:scrutiny: Do you have any pictures you could post of your Old Army MC? I'd love to see what you got, I bet it looks awesome! Too bad I have to wait almost a whole week before I get to hold it in my hands...patience is a virtue...at least that's what I've heard. I need to learn some patience anyway :banghead:

-mario.

MCgunner
May 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'll have to get a pic of it and put it up maybe tomorrow. It's in my "toy box", a false wall I built after a break in that took my beloved stainless old army. It was inspired by the then current TV show, "The Equalizer". Anyway, the wife's in the bedroom now and I don't wanna disturb her...well, until later. :evil: Mine did have a little pit/boo boo on the barrel about the back of the sight on the left side, but you gotta look real hard to see it. It's perfect otherwise. :D

The Sicilian
May 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
I remember that show! Long time ago, and I remember the false wall with all those guns too! Good idea. I need to build me something like that at some point too, just don't know if it'll be a false wall. I hope the gun is as advertised, no pitting and 95%. I'll be looking forward to seeing your Ruger Old Army.

-mario.

MCgunner
May 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
Well, this is it. Got a few finger prints on it, but a clean Old Army and great shooter for $97.50.:D I still can't believe the deal I stumbled across.

Duncaninfrance
May 21, 2006, 12:39 PM
Nice guns chaps but MC those grips look SO false :uhoh:
Duncan

The Sicilian
May 21, 2006, 01:19 PM
Nice gun, and for under $100.00 bucks...unbelievable! :what: So...what's the deal with how everyone's Old Army's shoot? Are they spot on or do you need to use a little Kentucky windage? For the money I'd imagine that they should all be spot on. I hope mine is a shooter and a keeper, I'd be pissed if I couldn't adjust it to hit a quarter at 25 yards.

-mario.

MCgunner
May 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Duncan, the grips aren't my favorite, but they feel better and shoot better than those slippery little originals and they were cheap. :D I don't particularly like fake ivory. looks like what it is, plastic. But, these were at a gun show for about ten bucks and I was looking to make the gun easier to hang on to without resorting to a Pachmayr like I had on my stainless gun. And, I don't like wood on BP revolvers as I clean with water and soap and wood doesn't really like water.

Anyway, so it was a functional thing for me on a functional gun. I'll worry about looks when I get a 58 Remmie. :D The only fake I actually like the looks of is the Pearlite, fake mother of pearl. I have some on a little .38 that are quite the lookers. I could put these grips on it from my .45 blackhawk, actual sanbar stag. They set me back 80 bucks some years ago, but they've gone up to $250 on the Ajax site.:what: The Blackhawk is an awesome gun and I sort of spent some money on it since it's my pet.

http://x12.putfile.com/11/32215185116.jpg

Duncaninfrance
May 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
OK MC I will let you off with a caution :rolleyes:
I used to have a .357 Magnum S/A Blackhawk when I shot pistol in the UK. It was a very comfortable piece to shoot. It also had a holster, unlike my current Remington but I might make one for that sometime.
I also had a 1941 Lahti 9mm Parabelum made by Huskvana in Sweden and a Russian Vostok .22 target pistol with ALL the bits but the Blackhawk was my favourite.
Duncan

MCgunner
May 21, 2006, 05:04 PM
Hmm, .357 blackhawk, something like this? Okay, whadda ya think about THEM grips. :D Not exactly traditional, but they sure are comfy. I don't shoot CAS so traditional don't matter. I've shot a deer with this one.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36061&d=1140748446

Duncaninfrance
May 21, 2006, 05:28 PM
Look comfortable MC. I must say I have a liking for oiled, dark wood on guns not fancy colours or carvings but each to their own!
Duncan

MCgunner
May 21, 2006, 06:25 PM
ROFL, I figured you'd "appreciate" 'em. :D

The Sicilian
May 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
Man! That's a beauty! :what: Where'd you pick that up at? In other words, did the engraving come special or did you have to get it done yourself?

-mario.

MCgunner
May 21, 2006, 09:11 PM
The old man that did the engraving was well known around here, Mr. Logan. Can't remember the first name, but he worked for Colt's factory as a custom engraver back in the day. He had a really interesting life, passed on now. He ran a radio show in Shreveport, Louisiana called the "Louisiana Hay Ride" back in the 50s and helped along many burgeoning young artists such as a kid named Elvis Presley.

He was 91 years old when he did this work. I sorta wish I'd paid the extra to do the barrel, but I was figurin' that warning label might mess it all up anyway. Was $250 for what I had done and adding barrel and ejector housing would have run it up to $400. He did a lot of firearms for Ducks Unlimited here in the Victoria, Texas area every year. At 91, he'd get up every morning before sunrise and wade fish near his home in Seadrift until mid morning before going to work. I'm proud to have met the man and proud of the work he did for me. I had him put my initials on the bottom of the grip, too, so needless to say this gun is not for trade or sale. :D

I had been wanting a stainless 4 5/8" .45 colt Blackhawk for a while when I found this one. Its accuracy was far more than I'd expected. Its power is quite useful afield. I've yet to shoot anything with it, just carry it afield.

The Sicilian
May 22, 2006, 12:18 AM
Good story to go with a nice revolver. I'm wondering how the other Old Army owners revolvers shoot. i know the one you have right now shoots high, I'm just wondering if that's common for Old Armys? I'm sure that some must shoot nice right out of the box, don't you think? How was that stainless that you had before it got stolen? I want a revolver that will hit a quarter at 25 yards without a problem, is that too much to ask for?

-mario.

robert garner
May 22, 2006, 12:48 AM
Old Armies DO NOT SHOOT HIGH;
Y'all are jus' shootin too close!
robert

The Sicilian
May 22, 2006, 01:12 AM
25 yards is too close?

robert garner
May 22, 2006, 06:39 AM
sure is!
Round ball will consistantly hit milk jugs at 100 yards.
I believe The Manns bullets will go higher will see when I get the chance.

The Sicilian
May 22, 2006, 09:47 AM
I'm not debating that an Old Army or any other replica can't hit at 100 yards, just that the Old Armies were set up to shoot good at 25 yards, not 100 yards. Is there any literature to show Ruger Old Armies are set for 100 yards? It just doesn't make any sense to create a revolver that hits at 100 yards out of the box! I could see it hitting at 25 or even 50 yards out of the box, but 100 yards? I know, I know, Old Armies aren't replicas.

Anyone else have anything to add to this little debate?

-mario.

MCgunner
May 22, 2006, 10:18 AM
I've had two and they both shot/shoot high. I think it's just an Old Army thing. I'm going to get a taller front sight on mine. I don't care about 100 yard shooting. I'm interested in 50 yards and in and it shoots way high at those hog defense ranges. Not a biggy as I'm going to get it fixed and the cylinders bored to hold more powder for a very reasonable price Jule quoted me. Gotta box that baby up and get it off soon. I wanna get that done.

The old army is plenty accurate enough to hit milk jugs at 100 yards, but it wouldn't possess enough energy in a hunting situation to make such shots and I'd want a pistol scope on it to attempt it anyway in the field. I know for hunting situations with a scope on my contender (in .30-30 winchester, doesn't lack power:evil: ) 100 yards using field positions is about my limit. I won't shoot at game past that unless I have a rock solid sand bag like rest. I can hit at 200 yards with it just fine, off sand bags and a bench. While I've done some IHMSA shooting, I'm not real confident in my aging eyes with iron sights at those ranges. Plinking milk jugs at extended range is fun, but I've got other uses for this little cannon. :D

You can adjust your sight picture to do some pretty accurate shooting with an out of the box Old Army, but I've finally decided that fixing it isn't that expensive a deal and I want the gun to be right, why I'm going to send it off.

frosty
May 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
I replaced the factory sight with one made from a pc. of 1/8 c.r. steel. It much resembles a s.a.a. front sight, and I added around .090 to the original height, which gave me plenty to work with for bullets. I would like to bore my cylinder out to hold more powder, because its not doing bad, but to improve the penetration even more:banghead:

The Sicilian
May 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
Can you put a pistol scope on an Old Army?

frosty
May 22, 2006, 07:48 PM
I beleive that B-Square Had a no gunsmithing mount for rugers:evil:

MCgunner
May 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
Yep, it can be done. The only two scoped handguns I have, though, are both contender barrels, one in .30-30 Winchester and one in .22 LR (squirrel killin' machine:evil: ).

RON in PA
May 23, 2006, 04:17 AM
I shot many a pound of lead through my OA back in the seventies when I lived in Maryland. My impression is that they are set-up for target shooting (especially with the Ruger recommended starting target load of 20 grains and corn meal fill) and that only two clicks or so from bottom are necessary for a six o'clock hold on a standard 25 yard target at 25 yards. For 50 feet I went down one click. So they do shoot high.

The Sicilian
May 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
Ron,

Excuse me for this amature question...Is a six o'clock hold when the black of the target is just above the front sight? Please answer in detail.

-mario.

RON in PA
May 23, 2006, 01:27 PM
Mario, you've got it right, six o'clock hold: properly align front and rear sights and then hold so that the bullseye is sitting on top of the front sight with just a very small amount of white between the front sight and the bull. This is a situation where a picture would be much better than words.

The Sicilian
May 23, 2006, 04:29 PM
True enough. A picture is worth a thousands words. Just to be clear about what you said: The bulls eye, not just the 4" of black...correct? I'd imagine the sight picture of the bullseye should only be around the size of a quarter, not the size of a drink coaster? Sorry, just want to understand exactly what you're saying. :scrutiny:

-mario.

RON in PA
May 24, 2006, 03:47 AM
Mario: Now you're confusing me. I'm talking about the whole black circle, which if my memory is correct, is 5.5 inches for a 25 yard target.

The Sicilian
May 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
That's interesting...I was thinking of the extreme center of the bullseye, not the whole 5.5 inch circle. So...I shouldn't aim for the smaller bullseye within the black 5.5 inch circle? I aim at the quarter sized smaller circle in the center of the larger 5.5 black circle. Am I doing something wrong by aiming this way?

-mario.

P.S.,

No need to be confused, you understood perfectly. :D

RON in PA
May 25, 2006, 03:31 AM
You're shooting center hold which is what one does if shooting at critters, bad guys and soda cans. Nothing wrong with that technique, in fact, I understand that's current USMC teaching as oppossed to Army teaching (talking M-16s here). What I described was standard bullseye target shooting technique that I learned about 35 years ago when I started pistol shooting. Also you seem to be using targets where the X-ring is of different color than the rest of the target. Standard NRA targets are all black.

The Sicilian
May 25, 2006, 03:56 AM
Got you Ron...I understand.

My Ruger arrived this morning!!! Beautiful gun...everything was fine with it, though MC was right about some minor pitting on the loading lever. I took it to the range today and it was an awesome experience compared to shooting an 1858! The Old Army is just a superior weapon, hands down. My first or second shot was a perfect bullseye! :what: :D

One problem with the gun though...for some reason or other...after shooting it for awhile...the hammer would not set off the caps on the first trigger pull, I had to start hitting them all a second time...a real bummer. I though maybe the BP was fouling the nipples so I did a quick cleaning, no go, it still wouldn't ignite the caps properly. Later on I cleaned the nipples again...near sunset...and the gun started to shoot properly...or hit the caps properly. I'm using number 11's - CCI.
Does anyone know what might be going on? Why would things be working fine one minute then go all wrong the next? Maybe I caught a bad batch of caps?

I'm going to the range tomorrow to see how she handles, I'll give you a second report when I return. By the way, this Old Army just wouldn't stop shooting, the fouling didn't affect the gun at all! I think I could shoot it over 100 times without even noticing any cylinder bind-up. Amazing!!!! I was using real black powder too! No synthetics at all. I was shooting at 25 yards also and it shot perfect...not high or low...perfect...I must have gotten really lucky. Only problem is the caps not going off properly and I don't have a nipple wrench for it yet. I've heard that the older models had weird sized nipples...maybe that's the problem. I'll have to order me some newer nipples and see what happens.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Man am I glad I decided to get a Ruger! What an awesome piece of hardware!!!:D

By the way, my Ruger is from 1973...approximately. I'll need to call up Ruger to get an exact date. Oh yeah, I loaded a ball without putting any powder in the chamber! :banghead: Looks like I finally busted my cherry! :D I got it out with a very thin drill bit. I just oiled the chamber a little bit and hammered the drill bit into the ball...then I slowly worked it back and forth, until I could wiggle it out of the chamber mouth...I got lucky! Especially not having a nipple wrench!!! :cuss:

Take it easy fellas,

-mario.

robert garner
May 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
YOU GOT LUCKY?
Nooooo You got a Ruger!
As for not setting off the primers first go, maybe a piece of cap got in the action, happens. or Caps real tight on nipples not seating fully, first blow sets the cap, i will bet the second blow ALWAYS set them off? if so and be carefull doing this place caps on nipples CAREFULLY let hammer down on cap
and using your thumb press hammer down on cap. Two things about this
Extreme care in handling and the tight caps will prevent rain or just humidity from causing "duds, hang and or misfires!"
I've been shoting ROA's since the early 70's both mine haveing the brass grips.
The older I get the more I like them. Soon with the chamber enlarging and musket nipples they will truly be my "do anything" pistols.

The Sicilian
May 25, 2006, 10:39 AM
True enough Rob, it is an excellent revolver. Brass grips? :confused:

-mario.

robert garner
May 25, 2006, 02:26 PM
Sicilian; the first year issue was supplied with a brass grip frame of the superblackhawk size which sported a dragoon style trigger gaurd. I have never figured why they went to a smaller grip,that my outsized hands could only get two fingers around?My daughter says she can post a coupla pics will do so, here, in the AM.
robert

sheepdip
May 25, 2006, 08:21 PM
My Old Army, # 145-041xx I bought it new but don't remember when.
Anybody know when it was made ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/sheepdip/GUN/R1-14-c.jpg

I just got this one # 140-382xx don't know the year ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/sheepdip/GUN/BBQ005600.jpg

robert garner
May 26, 2006, 02:32 PM
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/6995/rugeroldarmy8jk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

First year issue, brass frame.Sicilian the term is "brace" LoL

The Sicilian
May 27, 2006, 02:30 AM
Wow Rob! Sweet gun! :what:

I like the look the brass gives it...classy. The square trigger guard is pretty cool also. I can't wait to customize mine a little bit, but first I have to take care of a few scratches with a cold blueing kit. Anyone ever used Black Magic cold blueing before?

Sheepdip,

I think the gun you just got may be from 73'. You can call up Ruger and they'll verify when it was made and when it shipped. I'm going to give them a call sometime after Memorial day to see exactly when mine was made. Mine was probably made in 73' also, it starts with #140 - 0xxx. Nice guns brother.

-mario.

frosty
May 27, 2006, 07:36 AM
If you go to Ruger's website, You can date your Old Army easily...There is a chart, all you need is the serial no.:evil:

The Sicilian
May 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
Been there already frosty, those dates are only approximate, to get a definite dating on your Ruger you must call them up. Didn't you read the note above the dating chart? :scrutiny: :neener:

-mario.

sheepdip
May 30, 2006, 12:45 AM
mario,

Thanks for the Ruger link.
1977 on the ss
1978 on the blue
Will call to be sure.

sheepdip

The Sicilian
May 30, 2006, 12:06 PM
No problemo my friend. Glad I could be of service. It's nice to give back a little since I've learned so much from all of you guys. I wish I could help out more.

-mario.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of getting a Ruger Old Army from the Seventies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!