Poly Tech AKS-47

PDA

Broadbill
May 20, 2006, 04:11 PM
I bought this gun quite a while ago and am really not familiar with all the different varietys of AK's.
Is this a decent firearm or a cheap copy?

Broadbill

If you enjoyed reading about "Poly Tech AKS-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Broadbill
May 20, 2006, 06:24 PM
Don't be embarassed. You can tell me if its a POS.

Broadbill

Hkmp5sd
May 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
Polytechs were some of the best Chinese made AKs that were imported prior to the 1989 ban. The Polytech "Legend" series is still considered one of the top AKs.

Baba Louie
May 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
Certain variations of the PolyTech were/are considered to be one of the better clones of the AK semi auto. Some say the milled receivers are best (hell bent for stout), under/side-folding stocks also command high dollar. Poly Tech legend types are selling for $1500+.
I bought a PolyTech AKS-762 (stamped receiver) for 3 bills back in '87 and I see them on sale for $900. Don't know what they GET, but they ask that amount.
Decent. Yes.
Top of the line nowadays are made by Mark Krebs or Arsenal Inc, prices beginning at $590+/- ranging up from there.
So you tell us... what's it worth to you?
(Link below is from todays (Sat May 20 '06) GunsAmerica website...AK-47 rifles & copies)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/1030/1030-random-1.htm

hso
May 20, 2006, 09:50 PM
PolyTech = very good AK

aaronrkelly
May 21, 2006, 12:27 AM
PolyTech = good AK......or junk AK, depending.

Not ALL PolyTechs are great rifles - taken from ak47.net:

The PolyTech is manufactured by PolyTech Arms Corp in association with Norinco. The PolyTech has been imported in both pre and post ban variations until the 1998 importation bans. Many people like the gun and say that is the best Chinese AK imported in to the United States, however the gun dose have some slight drawbacks. The PolyTech's have been known to have soft receivers and tend to break apart after about 2000 rounds. That's not saying that all of them do this but most B-West PolyTechs have that problem. Most of the legend series do not have the problem and are one of the best Chinese AK's and one of the most expensive pre-bans. Average Price for pre-ban PolyTech is $1000.00 to $1500.00

Broadbill
May 21, 2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks alot.
Its definitely not a Legend, just a stamped receiver, but I really don't use it that much.
Paid around 300-350 with a bunch of magazines and ammo maybe 15yrs ago.

Broadbill

pmbiker
May 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
The statement quoted above is not entirely correct. The B-west polytechs got a bad rep due to the b-west manufactured recievers that weren't properly heat treated. B-west imported complete rifles and parts kits that were built up on their own reciever. Basically if your B-west has a b-west manufactured reciever, be careful and watch your rivet and trigger pin holes. They will/may stretch and distort as your round count goes up. If you have a poly-tech or norinco reciever manufactured in china they are as sturdy and solid as any, regardless of the importer.

beerslurpy
May 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
My hunch would be good AK. The only bad PolyTechs had US made receivers, which was hard to do and remain price competitive with the imports. If you bought it 15 years ago, you might have a gun that was imported in the late 80s.

Does the gun have a thumbhole stock or similar? A lot of companies got around the 89 non-sporting ban by sporterizing their weapons with thumbhole stocks. This would almost gaurantee that it is a proper chinese receiver. Does it have marking indicating who made it or imported it? For example, my Arsenal was "made" in Colorado because thats where the receiver was milled and assembled with the bulgarian parts. But my Saiga was "made" by izhmash and "imported" by EAA.

TimboKhan
May 21, 2006, 05:40 PM
I have a poly-tech sks, and it has been nothing but a great rifle for me. So much so, in fact, that I have kept my eyes peeled for another poly-tech "Hunter" model like I have now, with no success.

Broadbill
May 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
No thumbhole but now that I have it on my lap it says;

Polytech
Beijing China

Model AKS-762

Imported by
K F S
Atlanta Ga.

Thanks for the input,

BB

If you enjoyed reading about "Poly Tech AKS-47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!