Is this corrosive?

PDA

fal 4 me
May 20, 2006, 06:52 PM
Picked up some Russian made 7.62 x 39 mm today, all 3 boxes the store had.
The box is labled:
cal. 7.62 x 39 HP L.C.B.
123 gr. ball
Made to hunting specifications

The round itself is marked "711" on the upper part of the base and "94" on the bottom. Not planning to use if for hunting, but it was the cheapest 7.62 I could find. Does anyone know if this is corrosive or not? Also, I understand the HP mean hollow point, but what does the L.C.B. stand for? Thanks for the help in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gezzer
May 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
Lead core bullet, posibly corrosive I never trust the com-block ammo

hksw
May 21, 2006, 12:14 AM
It is certainly Russian. Not sure if they started making their ammo non-corrosive by 1994 so I'd play it safe and treat it as corrosive. (Actually, I treat any surplus ammo not of US or NATO manufacture as corrosive.)

Limeyfellow
May 21, 2006, 02:44 AM
711 indicates it was made in Klimovsk, Russia and was imported up until 2002. Its designed really to take animals of up to a 100kilos out at 300 metres according to the company. Berden primed and shouldn't be corrosive.

WhoKnowsWho
May 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
Doesn't take too much longer to clean out with hot water, just to be safe!

pmbiker
May 21, 2006, 09:35 PM
Actually the 711 indicates Russian State Ammunition Factory at Podolsk, Russia and the 94 would be the year of manufacture. I wouldn't guess it to be corrosive, but as others have stated it could be.

fal 4 me
May 22, 2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll definately be on the safe side and completely clean the SKS after shooting this stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!