civil war muskets

PDA

nov0798
May 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
Does anyone have an idea what these might be worth. I was asked to post this here. These are original muskets.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nov07981/album?.dir=3627re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "civil war muskets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nov0798
May 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
NOBODY has an idea how much these might be worth?

Thanks

edggy
May 21, 2006, 02:13 PM
nov0798, Don't let anybody speculate on the value of this weapons.If you're
a member of the NRA or know someone who is send them the information.
make sure to include numbers and any engravings and yes pictures.They will
be more then happy to help you (get everything in writing)

4v50 Gary
May 21, 2006, 10:09 PM
The 1855 Springfield Rifle Musket needs a door for the Maynard Tape Primer. I dunno how much a replacement is. When I visited Nashville for the Civil War gun show (Nov. 04), guns in good condition generally go for $1k plus.

frosty
May 22, 2006, 12:28 AM
One is a Maynard rifle which is using a fed primer tape instead of musket caps. The door where the tape was loaded in is missing:banghead: but it is still a nice pc. When the hammer was cocked, it fed the primer materialup to the nipple. The other gun I'm not to sure, but it might be confederate, because it looks like it was made in another country. At least the lock and butt plate indicate tha to me. The confederacy got alot of there weapons by contact fromm overseas, but its hard to tell without looking close at these guns for marks, etc. As far as the value goes, it could be in the neighborhood of 600 bucks up to as much as several thousands.:evil:

4v50 Gary
May 22, 2006, 01:02 AM
The Maynard Tape Primer feed gun is a Springfield 1855 Rifle Musket. The actual Maynard rifle was a breechloader. Besides a plate for the lock, calculate the cost of a ramrod replacement.

As to the other gun, it seems Germanic to me (look at the banana shape of the lock). Until the P-53 Enfield (and successors) were adopted, virtually all English guns relied on pins to hold their barrels in place. That's why I don't think the other gun is English.

nov0798
May 22, 2006, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. These guns were found in buried in the ground in an old uniform, Im guessing from the era. The guns were found while digging to do an addition to a house. Additionally these guns were found in NJ, not sure if that has any signifigant meaning or not? I thik I will take them to an appraiser, maybe in Old Town Alexandria VA, or possibly Gettysburg, PA (2 hours away). Thanks for the replies!

Brian

Cosmoline
May 22, 2006, 04:53 AM
Did you see them get uncovered or is that second hand information? The reason I doubt it is in any soil outside a very arid desert, it seems unlikely old iron like that would survive merely wrapped in a uniform.

4v50 Gary
May 22, 2006, 10:17 AM
Do a title search on the house and get the papers of who lived there. Confirm with census records and after you identify the soldier, you might want to go to the National Archives and get the service record and pension record. That goes with the gun (as well as the uniform) and it'll probably add $ to the gun as there'll be a story behind them.

If you enjoyed reading about "civil war muskets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!